• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokkén Tournament gameplay trailer

I really enjoyed the Dragonball Z Tenkaichi games, so this looks pretty fun. If we got large destructible arenas, that would be neat.

Anyway, I'm hyped for a playable Arcanine.

Crocodile

Are people really surprised Pikachu got in? How?

Anyway, I was initially surprised to see Gardevoir (especially over Gallade though he still has a chance I guess) but then I remember how popular the pokemon is and its resurgence with its Mega form and the Fairy type. Suicune took me by surprise as well but it was definitely the most relevant of that cycle of legends with the Crystal connection and what not.

The trainer avatar is kind of lame and I hope there is either customization in that regard or some prominent trainers from the Pokemon series show up. Like Eusine could be Suicine's trainer, Diantha with Gardervoir, Bruno with Machamp, Korrina with Lucario, etc.

Gameplay looks really lame based on what we know now. Block, Throw, Attack? Such a simple system with lack of options leads to unbalanced gameplay. I'm not convinced of anything though until I know more.

What does this mean? Having more "complex" systems didn't stop games like Marvel 2 & 3, Street Fighter 3, etc. from having balance issues. There's no real correlation between system complexity and balance - its all up to the developers.

>Suicune

Give me a fucking break. Now that quadrupeds have been confirmed, expect the entire roster to be a bunch of Eeveelutions.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

I mean when this game was first announced, I expected and kind of wanted a roster of only Fighting types. Once Harada confirmed that wouldn't be the case months ago the gates were opened up for Pokemon like Suicune. Honestly it makes sense as it way better represents the Pokemon franchise and opens up roster diversity. Some of the more offbeat characters in other fighting games are amongst the best and there is no reason this game has to be strictly beholden to the roster tradition of other series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hype deflated. This looks like one of those 3D arena Naruto or Dragon Ball Z fighting games. I really just wanted Pokemon Tekken, like the name implies.

Harada outright said that this will be nothing like Tekken right from the get-go.

Hype deflated. This looks like one of those 3D arena Naruto or Dragon Ball Z fighting games. I really just wanted Pokemon Tekken, like the name implies.

Really im glad that this isn't Tekken, although some of the side 2d gameplay can still be. The transition from 3D to 2D is really terrible though

I want Galvantula, but the problem there is its size, isn't it minuscule? I guess they could make a 'giant' one that's about Pikachu's size.

These aren't particularly who I want to be in but if they keep the initial roster below 30 which is likely, as well as balance the roster choices from all generations, I could see it going something like this. Especially since quadrapeds like Suicune are in.

Gen I
Pikachu
Machamp
Charizard
Mewtwo

Gen 2
Suicune
Sudowoodo
Scizor
Hitmontop

Gen 3
Gardevoir
Blaziken
Hariyama
Absol

Gen 4
Lucario
Infernape
Garchomp
Froslass

Gen 5
Emboar
Zoroark
Golurk
Meloetta

Gen 6
Greninja
Hawlucha
Pangoro
Aegislash

wmlk

A lot of Pokémon aren't extremely slow like Machamp. This is the direction the game needed to capture everyone's imagination.

J@hranimo

Banned
Harada outright said that this will be nothing like Tekken right from the get-go.

I actually didn't know that. That eases my slight disappointment a bit, because this game still looks good. It would be kinda cumbersome to have this shit going on in a 2D plane like Suicune's ribbons and pikachu's thunderbolts all over the place lol.

Anth0ny

YO DAMN SUICUNE!!!!

Time to stop predicting who's going to be playable, clearly anyone is a viable choice. inb4 Muk and Voltorb are confirmed.

OK. I still just wanted Pokemon Tekken, though.

Really im glad that this isn't Tekken, although some of the side 2d gameplay can still be. The transition from 3D to 2D is really terrible though

The close quarters combat looks OK, but it still could be random button mashing.

A lot of Pokémon aren't extremely slow like Machamp. This is the direction the game needed to capture everyone's imagination.

Not everyone in Tekken is slow either.

TreIII

I won't be satisfied until we get every single pokemon. I'll boycott the game until I see it.

They have the aspiration of turning this game into a series of its own. With 700+ PKMN to pick from, that's certainly more than enough to keep things going for future games and expansions!

These aren't particularly who I want to be in but if they keep the initial roster below 30 which is likely, as well as balance the roster choices from all generations, I could see it going something like this. Especially since quadrapeds like Suicune are in.

Gen I
Pikachu
Machamp
Charizard
Mewtwo

Gen 2
Suicune
Sudowoodo
Scizor
Hitmontop

Gen 3
Gardevoir
Blaziken
Hariyama
Absol

Gen 4
Lucario
Infernape
Garchomp
Froslass

Gen 5
Emboar
Zoroark
Golurk
Meloetta

Gen 6
Greninja
Hawlucha
Pangoro
Aegislash

Love this roster.

So it's a mashup of tekken and naruto ? I think that's pretty interesting. A shame the combat system doesn't use the limb system of tekken though. The projectile/shield could be assigned other buttons.

Jagsrock

Banned
Im kinda surprised that hype has gone down. This is basically the combat system fans have wanted for Pokemon since Pokemon stadium. Real time fighting with 3d arenas that reflect the type of action seen in the anime. One step closer to that full 3d, open world, Pokemon rpg with realtime combat.

entremet

YO DAMN SUICUNE!!!!

Time to stop predicting who's going to be playable, clearly anyone is a viable choice. inb4 Muk and Voltorb are confirmed.

They're garbage looking Pokes, though.

Suicune's design has always been one of the best.

I'm guessing the below are locks:

Mewtwo--All three forms
Kanto starters--Too iconic
Sawk and Throh.
Gallade
Scizor

Im kinda surprised that hype has gone down. This is basically the combat system fans have wanted for Pokemon since Pokemon stadium. Real time fighting with 3d arenas that reflect the type of action seen in the anime. One step closer to that full 3d, open world, Pokemon rpg with realtime combat.

LOL. You realize this is only really feasible because it's a fighting game with around 20 characters who will have been specifically selected because they can work in this type of environment. It would absolutely not work if they wanted to do a mainline pokemon game that needs HUNDREDS of pokemon (And really, that's assuming they'd pull a Ruby Sapphire and make most of the pokemon completely unavailable, which would upset many fans. Honestly they'd really need to do all the pokemon to satisfy people), many of which are simply not built for this type of game (For instance, pretty much any of the fish pokemon that really shouldn't be capable of operating out of water.) Anyone who wants a mainline Pokemon game that plays like an episode of the anime is fooling themselves, since the amount of work would be astronomical and not really viable. Also, you have to keep in mind that fighting game movesets are way more limited than the movesets pokemon get in the main games, which is also a huge help

Looks like Naruto games but the animation and combos are nowhere near as good.....though I'm pretty sure that this game will actually take skill to make combos unlike Naruto -____- ( fix yo battle system CC2)

Jagsrock

Banned
Fine maybe not " open world" but I think they could make a adventure game that featured the typical encounter system that, But have the combat be real time. Its just a dream anyways since gamefreak will probably never take mainline games away from handheld (unless Nintendo's next console has crossplay) I still think its doable. Maybe it would have to be a more focused spin off sort of game like Pokemon collesium. Who knoes maybe pokken on Wii u will have a some kind of "adventure" mode?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm interested after seeing the full gameplay. We've become saturated in typical fighting game designs, be it SF, Tekken, or Guilty Gear-derived. The problem with the Naruto games is they are too simple to insure they're absolutely accessible. This looks like a similar paradigm but more technical and the potential for unique character move sets with the Pokemon powers is great.

Here's I think a good roster of pokemon:

Gen 1:
Pikachu
Machamp
Charizard
Mewtwo

Gen 2:
Hitmontop
Sudowoodo
Tyranitar
Suicune

Gen 3:
Blaziken
Mawile
Gardevoir
Deoxys

Gen 4:
Lucario
Abomasnow
Croagunk
Garchomp

Gen 5:
Victini
Scrafty
Krookodile
Galvantula

Gen 6:
Greninja
Aegislash
Hawlucha
Xerneas

I think that'd be a good selection and variety but I think there will be more surprises and the roster will be a bit different than this list.

TreIII

I'm interested after seeing the full gameplay. We've become saturated in typical fighting game designs, be it SF, Tekken, or Guilty Gear-derived. The problem with the Naruto games is they are too simple to insure they're absolutely accessible. This looks like a similar paradigm but more technical and the potential for unique character move sets with the Pokemon powers is great.

And to me, the pedigree of the maker will almost insure that this will be a good game. Harada hasn't let me down yet.

EulaCapra

Totally thought they would go the Tekken route but delightfully surprised they went with the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi third-person perspective. Hyper Beams and jumping Blizzards all around! Instead of a fighting game, it looks like the Pokemon Anime battles we've always wanted!

And I expected some quadrupeds to make it in the game, but Suicune never crossed my mind since it was so projectile-orientated. Gladly proven wrong!

I'd wager the main Pokemon we can rule out are smaller ones, which are what a lot of the assists seem to be. Glad they're branching out beyond just bipedal Pokemon.

Darryl

Banned

Yea for real. This is cool. Much more exciting than a re-skinned Tekken.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
And I expected some quadrupeds to make it in the game, but Suicune never crossed my mind since it was so projectile-orientated. Gladly proven wrong!

That's why he's good for it and why I wanted him in, plus attacks with his tail. Glad to see I got my wish :p

Man this is looking good. Despite what some people have said, I like the whole realistic fur look on the Pokemon. It gives this game a unique art style. As for the gameplay, going for a DBZ/Tekken hybrid of fighting opens the door to more than just your basic fighting types and expected Pokemon to be in this game. I'm ready to see what Pokemon is in next.

Just started to play catch up with the stream....
Holy shit I never knew I wanted this., they gotta throw this on Wii U so I have a chance to play it someday.

Top Bottom