• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokkén Tournament gameplay trailer

Fighting reminds me of Budokai Tenkaichi mixed with Tales. I'm really excited for this, but I kind wanted either a 2D or Tekken 3 style fighter.

wmlk

Sigh.

The anime always gets rebooted at the end of every region, and so does Pikachu.

In the anime, it's not about levels, it's about whatever "strategy" there is.

El Sloth

Banned
Looks like the Naruto games. Hype deflated. Was expecting something else, but this makes more sense for the franchise and target audience for sure.

I don't agree. I think a traditional 3D fighter, like Tekken would work just fine.

I suppose this looks like snails racing to you, huh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQkl-pUs2U
I'm just joking around here, but this is what FireRed says about Machamp:
FireRed said:
Its four ruggedly developed arms can launch a flurry of 1,000 punches in just two seconds.

When the two Pokémon are close to each other it looks very Tekken-like, don't you agree?

HeelPower

He got de-leveled in the black and white arc

The anime keeps ignoring Pikachu's true lvl.

And that's really frustrating and garbage.

I'd rather they keep Pikachu extremely overpowered ,but that Ash wouldn't want to unfairly beat his opponent's weak pokemon and,as such, keeps Pikachu out of most fights.

wmlk

The anime keeps ignoring Pikachu's true lvl.

And that's really frustrating and garbage.

I'd rather they keep Pikachu extremely overpowered ,but that Ash wouldn't want to unfairly beat his opponent's weak pokemon.

Anime logic != Game logic.

They're totally different. There's no Thunder Armor in the games.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Like the Black and White game, the BW anime went for a similar "reboot" feel...Ash got a new design (more noticeable than before as his eyes changed), and was also dumbed down. He'd actually gotten more competent in the Advanced and Diamond and Pearl series, but they took him back to perhaps even worse than he was in the original series, at one point he goes into a battle and forgot to bring any of his other Pokemon with him iirc. Pikachu also seemed far weaker too, but that was probably because the battles that series sucked and were really lame.

XY bumped up the competency again thankfully, and they basically hired a lot of new staff members too iirc. But basically the BW Anime sucked, and if you don't like the anime, basically imagine it even worse.

I'm just joking around here, but this is what FireRed says about Machamp:

When the two Pokémon are close to each other it looks very Tekken-like, don't you agree?

Sort of, but not knowing what animations correspond to what button, you could say it looks like a lot games.

wmlk

Like the Black and White game, the BW anime went for a similar "reboot" feel...Ash got a new design (more noticeable than before as his eyes changed), and was also dumbed down. He'd actually gotten more competent in the Advanced and Diamond and Pearl series, but they took him back to perhaps even worse than he was in the original series, at one point he goes into a battle and forgot to bring any of his other Pokemon with him iirc. Pikachu also seemed far weaker too, but that was probably because the battles that series sucked and were really lame.

XY bumped up the competency again thankfully, and they basically hired a lot of new staff members too iirc. But basically the BW Anime sucked, and if you don't like the anime, basically imagine it even worse.

XY anime barely even features the Japanese music which is based on the games. That's already a big no-no.

BW did suck, though. Screw Iris.

HeelPower

Anime logic != Game logic.

They're totally different. There's no Thunder Armor in the games.

I understand.

But ,still, the anime implies earning experience and that the more training and battles a pokemon has done,the more powerful and skilled it becomes.

Pikachu is the finest example of this.He and Ash conquered multiple regions.

And I know that Ash and Pikachu get rebooted every time a new season comes by and I despise that in the anime.

Sort of, but not knowing what animations correspond to what button, you could say it looks like a lot games.
I mean, there's only two less buttons less than Tekken right? Not counting the special move button which probably works like D in BlazBlue? I always felt like 4 buttons was an unnecessary amount for Tekken since it's not like Street Fighter where each button only corrosponds to a single standing/crouching/jumping attack.

I'm really bad at Tekken, so I'm excited for the change. Lucario/Pikachu looked boring, but Machamp/Suicune didn't.

Quite frankly, as far as Bamco's characters go, Agumon is probably the best fit for a guest appearance in a Pokemon game.

Just because you want it to happen, doesn't mean it should or will. Why should (arguably, now with Youkai Watch) the biggest franchise in this genre pick a character from the JV team?

XY really isn't any better in the writing department.

honestly i thought x/y had a pretty strong story tbh(at least better than bw) they didnt reset pikachu this time and ash didnt actually lose the first fight he faced and some of the gym battles have been pretty well animated and hype (im not to big a fan of how they are going with serena but everything else wasnt too bad)

wmlk

The best story was in DPPt. That had the best world building in any Pokémon game and actual lore hidden in places that would surprise you. I wish we could get a region like Sinnoh again.

Watch Da Birdie

The best story was in DPPt. That had the best world building in any Pokémon game and actual lore hidden in places that would surprise you. I wish we could get a region like Sinnoh again.

Gen IV was seriously the best.

Platinum.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver

Mysterious Dungeon 2: Explorers of Darkness/Space/Sky

Pokemon Ranger 2: Shadow of Almia

All great games.

wmlk

Platinum.

All great games.

Gen IV had the best games for sure.

The main thing for me in Gen IV was that Sinnoh had actual thought put into it. Mt. Coronet being a huge obstacle in the middle of the region and you having to travel through it numerous times is a prime example of this.

Kalos in comparison looks like a collage of areas. Sinnoh was cohesive and really well thought out.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I felt Unova felt really hodgepodge as well...

I think this may be because Unova and Kalos were based on foreign locations, so I think GameFreak might've made them more "theme park-y" since they themselves aren't as familiar with them, compared to first four Regions which were based on Japan locations and thus the team had a better understanding of them, and making them come across as authentic.

Gen IV had the best games for sure.

The main thing for me in Gen IV was that Sinnoh had actual thought put into it. Mt. Coronet being a huge obstacle in the middle of the region and you having to travel through it numerous times is a prime example of this.

Kalos in comparison looks like a collage of areas. Sinnoh was cohesive and really well thought out.
Mt Coronet was miserable to travel though though. I know what you're saying with cohesiveness, but the whole thing was a chore for me, I don't remember any of the areas fondly. I think Gen IV is growing on me in retrospect, but I think it was pretty bad in almost any area except music. I still don't like any of the evolutions/preevolutions either. I'm starting to like Limineon in the same way I like Stunfisk though lol.

It also added tons of legendaries but I think it only liked one or two. Does anyone remember the emotions trio fondly?

wmlk

Mt Coronet was miserable to travel though though. I know what you're saying with cohesiveness, but the whole thing was a chore for me, I don't remember any of the areas fondly. I think Gen IV is growing on me in retrospect, but I think it was pretty bad in almost any area except music. I still don't like any of the evolutions/preevolutions either. I'm starting to like Limineon in the same way I like Stunfisk though lol.

It also added tons of legendaries but I think it only liked one or two. Does anyone remember the emotions trio fondly?

Going from Mt. Coronet to Route 216 for the first time is one of my most fond memories of Pokémon. I think Mt. Coronet acting as a barrier was great.

It was a chore to travel through, I agree, but it's where a lot of the story related events occur and offers more exploration than any other dungeon in Pokémon other than the Dark Cave. I thought it was fitting.

Teknoman

wat

volcanoy3uo2.jpg

Can we please go to places like this in whatever the next Pokemon game is?

This guy needs to be in this
Primeape_XY.gif

Yes please. Its a crime that Primeape isnt recognized in more games.

JoeM86

He got de-leveled in the black and white arc

Not really. People blow that way out of proportion.

Pikachu lost against Trip's Snivy because it had been hit by a direct attack from Zekrom and couldn't use any moves. I always compare it to Level 100 Pikachu VS Level 5 Snivy. Pikachu is at low HP due to its previous battle. It uses Thunder...it misses. Snivy attacks. It knocks Pikachu out. Similar scenario

Plus, as has been said, anime doesn't deal with levels.

XY really isn't any better in the writing department.

It actually really is. I've been impressed with it.

Platinum.

All great games.

while i like gen 4's maps im really not fond of how gen 4 was systematically yes i think they fixed the speed issue in platnium but i found gen 4 to be relatively weak (which is why despite it being compatible to a point i hope gf makes a remake at some point)

and for remakes i was hoping hg/ss would go a bit further with the map layout a bit with some of the older cities (kinda like what they did for or/as)imo it the map layout felt too 1:1 to g/s/c

i kinda like azelf tbh and i seem to be on the weirder end where i prefer the newer pokemon over the older ones i think gen 1 while it has some cool pokemon are pretty low in my all time faves list lol

What about in that episode The School of Hard Knocks? I remember that episode talking about levels?

Ninth episode in the series and literally the only one in 800+ that has made any mention of levels.

The very same episode also has Ash crushing on a girl. The writers didn't really have a tight grip on things yet.

HardRojo

If only they could release more stuff like The Origin. Now that was far more entertaining than anything Pokémon anime I've seen in the last few years. Pokémon not yelling their names stupidly? BIG PLUS!

this looks great.
can't wait to punch myself while in fact punching wobbuffet.
Also I hope that psyduck has some sort of migraine superattack

SykoTech

Looks a lot like the Naruto Storm games, but without the impressive visuals and animations...which is the best part about those games.

Pretty disappointing honestly, but I'll still give it a shot. Hofully it plays better than it looks.

Nights87

Honestly this looks disappointing. Gameplay and graphics dont look particularly good. Ill try playing it but I'm not hopeful.

SmithnCo

If only they could release more stuff like The Origin. Now that was far more entertaining than anything Pokémon anime I've seen in the last few years. Pokémon not yelling their names stupidly? BIG PLUS!

Yeah that was great. They should do the same for other gens. They rushed the plot but I guess they couldn't make it five hours long.

DarkTom

I am not a fan of this DBZ style gameplay. I would have preffered something more like tekken, with fighting types pokemon.

I'm probably in a minority and pokemon fans seem to be happy with the roster and the gameplay so good for them.

I was excited and now I think I'll pass on this.

I'm not sure if we'll get all the Hitmons. They'd all fill (except maybe Hitmontop?) more or less the same role as Machamp, right? A physical attacker that basically has no special moves from far away?

Top Bottom