• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pre Order bullshit : Dying Light, earliest you preorder, the more bonus you get

game was 8 bucks off a couple of days ago

fgsXDjS.jpg

not anymore though

jesu

I think you can just make up the details and get the free stuff.
The place I ordered it from wasn't on their drop down list and it still worked for me.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Game the system. Pre-Order Day 1, get the code, cancel the pre-order and then wait until you are ready to get the game.

Companies shouldn't do this, but not for the reasons expressed by most of GAF.

Solid plan. My suggestion would be to sell the code on Ebay and never buy Dying Light though. You'd still be less scummy than the publisher by orders of magnitude and you get to profit AND you don't support the practice.

Dougald

Coincidentally, the later I buy this, the less I pay... AND if there are any colossal day 1 bugs, they'll be patched out

fatchris

Thanks to policies like these and a complete lack of confidence in the release state of modern AAA games, I'll be picking this up for 5 dollars on Steam once I clear my backlog - if it gets great reviews.

mackattk

I think you can just make up the details and get the free stuff.
The place I ordered it from wasn't on their drop down list and it still worked for me.

Yeah, I think so too. I don't think they have any way of verifying the purchase, especially at the scale needed to do so and the amount of different retailers that are on the drop-down list.

Hasney

Pahahaha. Was saying that 30fps was the wrong decision and I'd wait until my PC was up to spec to run it 60fps in a sale. Now I just won't bother at all.

jesu

Solid plan. My suggestion would be to sell the code on Ebay and never buy Dying Light though. You'd still be less scummy than the publisher by orders of magnitude and you get to profit AND you don't support the practice.

There is no code.

It doesn't look like the site validates anything, I just typed in some bullshit and it gave me 8 dockets which I assume will the be currency to get the weapons. So its really just an issue of "register 8 weeks in advance get 8 spacebux, diminishing by one every week after".

I guess kind of a sad way to gauge interest in your product, since I doubt this kind of small studio has any way to pull preorder sales data from places like amazon, best buy, target, walmart, etc.

Of course it'll backfire as some people will register hundreds and thousands of new accounts to get preorder codes which they will try to ebay and the publisher will think they have 2m preorders when its really closer to 1/40th of that.

The other pre-order DLC is much worse than this dockets crap. They made the ability to invade other players' games pre-order exclusive.

Imagine if Red Eye Orbs in Dark Souls were a preorder DLC item, and cracked orbs didn't exist. That's basically what they are doing here.

jesu

It doesn't look like the site validates anything, I just typed in some bullshit and it gave me 8 dockets which I assume will the be currency to get the weapons. So its really just an issue of "register 8 weeks in advance get 8 spacebux, diminishing by one every week after".

I guess kind of a sad way to gauge interest in your product, since I doubt this kind of small studio has any way to pull preorder sales data from places like amazon, best buy, target, walmart, etc.

Of course it'll backfire as some people will register hundreds and thousands of new accounts to get preorder codes which they will try to ebay and the publisher will think they have 2m preorders when its really closer to 1/40th of that.

There is no code.
You link your gamertag and they dockets or whatever they are get added to your account.

But what if you struck the lotto and what you typed in was a legit code

Wavebossa

Lol this is so silly. Just imagine if hardware was like this.

Pre order a PS4 and it will play DVDs and PS3/2/1 games!! I mean, as silly as that sounds, its very possible.

m_dorian

The safe way to do this in by not pre-ordering anything. Especially when the lure seems big, many times it equals the disappointment after.

Ramenman

And people believe this is the greatest era of gaming? :/

Still not going to pre-order. Weapons you get for doing so will be garbage an hour into the game.

Pretty much yes. Shoddy business practices... that don't actually impact your experience as a player.

So i fail to see how this impacts the "quality" of this "era of gaming" :p

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Drakengard 3 did this as well with its preorder DLC on the Squeenix store.

Man, what a GREAT game that was. *thumbsup*

Yeah, terrible practice. And I say this as a person who bought the limited edition (wanted to show support for the devs and thanks for bringing out a sequel - never thought it would happen really).

How to troll them for doing this
1. Get pre order
2. Register
3. Link account
4. Cancel preorder
5. Buy game at later date for better price
6. Justice

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
1. Get pre order
2. Register Docket
3. Keep getting weapons on the site until release
4. Cancel pre order the day before release
5. Register codes on PSN/XBL/Steam
6. Buy game at later date on sale
7. Win

They'll likely have something in place to combat this

jesu

1. Get pre order
2. Register Docket
3. Keep getting weapons on the site until release
4. Cancel pre order the day before release
5. Register codes on PSN/XBL/Steam
6. Buy game at later date on sale
7. Win

You don't have to preorder, just register on the site.
There is no codes.

Then it likely wasn't good enough to make any difference.

If it were, it would be in the base game.
It is in the base game. It's an invasion mode. Everyone can get invaded, only those who pre-order (or pay for it) can invade.

Can't wait to see what the message will say as they inevitably introduce this mode.
"Pay more money to unlock the ability to invade."
How the hell do you spin that into not sounding like the grossest thing ever?

You don't have to preorder, just register on the site.
There is no codes.

Yeah there are, you need one to register on the site (from the pre order), I know what I said before was wrong tho. Just pre order it, and cancel/never pick it up. Not like they would know, and they can't punish you for not playing it (if you did buy it at launch and didn't play it for months for example)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's pretty shitty, but --
The other pre-order DLC is much worse than this dockets crap. They made the ability to invade other players' games pre-order exclusive.

Imagine if Red Eye Orbs in Dark Souls were a preorder DLC item, and cracked orbs didn't exist. That's basically what they are doing here.
What the fuck?! That's way, way worse. Why isn't everyone talking about this instead of stupid weapons that'll probably be outdated 1 hour into the game? Holy shit... that's beyond scummy.

(Apologies if people are talking about this in another thread, I haven't seen it.)

They should pre-blow me.
Hahahaha

Do people really care about in-game item pre-order bonuses that much? I can sort of understand why someone would pre-order to get some extra missions or whatnot, but items that in the end most likely won't really matter in the actual game?

Shredderi

That's pretty shitty, but --

What the fuck?! That's way, way worse. Why isn't everyone talking about this instead of stupid weapons that'll probably be outdated 1 hour into the game? Holy shit... that's beyond scummy.

(Apologies if people are talking about this in another thread, I haven't seen it.)

Hahahaha

I remember there being a lot of negativity to the preorder thing your talking about. A really fucking deserved negativity. Why can't these publishers try to garner some goodwill for a change and see where it leads to?

Kssio_Aug

And the worst: "exchange for top-tier weapons". Maybe I will buy Dead Island 2, but Dying Light is crossed out of my list already. Yeah, voting with my wallet!

LoL, and that, I didnt know. Not buying this game at all.

Rembrandt

Banned
The ability to cancel pre-orders makes me care so much less. I'll preorder, register for the free stuff and then cancel my preorder the same day. Fuck them if they're sticking to shitty trends.

People should just stop caring about pre-order bonus items in games. They're usually pretty worthless stuff, at least in my experience. Overall its marketing nonsense.

Top Bottom