• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

1-D_FTW

It's really hard to get a grasp of exactly what you're looking at in those pictures, but I'm actually inclined to like the 3000 better (if I'm visualizing it correctly). Seems like that closed structure would be more efficient (again, assuming I'm not missing something obvious).

Owzers

The Holiday bundle made it so you'd be an idiot not to pick one up. $199 for a DVD/Blu-Ray/Netflix player that could play games was stupid to pass up, especially since they gave you two games to go along with it. If they do another holiday bundle run you should definitely get in on it.

But I was watching a blu-ray and the disc drive wasn't too annoying since my volume was turned up, the PS3 itself was whisper quiet and my room was still freezing.

My system decided to break after all the good deals, next good one is a $50 videogame credit from Kmart with purchase, but i dislike credits when there's nothing to buy. I still might give in. Are the new slims reliable? There's been some talk around the gaf about the system freezing?

Manp

iunno, my new white ps3 is quieter than my older launchslim.

usually when a system is new it tends to be quieter than after some months of use. thermal compound used between the heatsinks and cpu/gpu tend to degrade, fan bearings wear off and dust gets in the way of perfect airflow.

:)

ChanHuk

Banned
My system decided to break after all the good deals, next good one is a $50 videogame credit from Kmart with purchase, but i dislike credits when there's nothing to buy. I still might give in. Are the new slims reliable? There's been some talk around the gaf about the system freezing?

Mine has locked up twice playing MW3 2 player online (Never tried this with my fat).

Cruzader

Banned
Finally got my stuff transferred to the new the holiday slim. Got the old system deactivated and then activated on the new slim for all my 3 accounts. So far from what I saw (I didn't get the chance to play on it), the transfer utility basically makes an exact copy of the old system you are transferring from to the new one. So all the stuff from old slim is on the new system (downloaded games, demos, save files, accounts etc). So it looks like you don't have to do the transfer from each account separately, just the master one (which is what I did). Also as a precaution I saved the game saves to an external HDD just in case. But some games now don't even allow to save it to the HDD but just the PSN+ cloud which is BS! They should at least give the option to save it on the HDD (Crysis 2, BF3, Demon's Soul, KZ2 didn't have the HDD option). But good news is that the transfer utility copies everything AS IS to the new system and seems like everything is intact.

I ran a test just to see the noise levels of the BRDrive, and seems like it is about the same (may be more on the new model but not by much). But it does run quieter and cooler than the old slim. They took out the LEDs on the on/off and eject buttons and for wifi. The metallic looking strip (where on/off) is gone too. Looks like they were trying to cut the pennies every and any way they could.

Well I am glad I am finally done with this and hopefully won't have to do this again until PS4 :)
Ok little update.

I did do the data transfer utility thing successfully! All games and data were sent over just 1 or 2 corrupt themes. The whole ordeal took like 3 or so hours. Total data was ~110 GB Transfered. The Only issue I had is that on my fatty, I have a 320gb so I did have to delete some stuff to fit onto the new slim. No was I was gonna waste more hours backing up videos and shit. That's mainly what I removed. Old as PSN videos like Pulse and crap.

Overall though the machine is indeed quieter. My fatty's fans are normally loud even when it's not doing much. I was playing Dark Souls for a few hours last night and the unit remained nice and quiet. I'm sure my fatty would of been blowing air and noise to boot.

But I must say. The slim design is an ugly pos. Don't really like it. It's my first one so maybe I'll get used to it. I'm sure the fat ps3 was ugly at one point too. I like the matte color/texture though. Else it's a good deal.

I need to sell te 2 games that came with the system but I dot know where. I'll look into GS but I'd have to buy their membership to get an extra 10% which is not what I'd like.

crispyben

Is that the newest one? Are you sure you're even supposed to orientate it vertically? There's zero mention anywhere in the quick-start instructions and there are only rubber feet for the horizontal position. Don't think you're supposed to do that. Unless the older slim allowed it.

Was kind of disappointed by this removal, but the thing is so ugly now, I'd just assume have it sitting horizontal and hidden from view.

I think the main reason they supported vertical placement was superior air flow/cooling. But since the newest slim has the side vents completely removed, there's no functional purpose for supporting it anymore.
Sony and third-party manufacturers still sell stands for putting the PS3 slim in the upright position, I don't see them remove that going from CECH-2500 to CECH-3000...

I've just received my 3003A 160GB, and I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned (or if indeed this change pre-dates this hardware revision), but the controller now seems to have a horribly cheap plastic-feeling D-Pad, and I also suspect the face buttons of feeling (and looking) a bit cheaper too.

Sagitario

I've just received my 3003A 160GB, and I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned (or if indeed this change pre-dates this hardware revision), but the controller now seems to have a horribly cheap plastic-feeling D-Pad, and I also suspect the face buttons of feeling (and looking) a bit cheaper too.

My DS3 (320GB Sports Champion Bundle) felt this way from the very first moment I held it. The plastic feels really cheap.

mclaren777

ibgqC0LCgFTFRz.jpg

I made you guys a comparison video...

Youtube

Cruzader

Banned
ibgqC0LCgFTFRz.jpg

I made you guys a comparison video...

Youtube
Cool but it depends on the games. I was playing Dark Souls and it was wisper quiet along with quiet fans.

Im sure my old phat would read the disk quietly but be pumping out air and making noise from it. Ill take the new slim. Seems it only noisy when its reading data like that on the video.

1-D_FTW

GT 5's power consumption seemed to max at around 74 or 75. When looking, don't think I've ever seen it higher.

Have to say, definitely pleased with it. It's ugly as sin, but beyond that, in the things that are important, seems like a real nice revision.

Disc drive isn't that bad. Can't remember what my old PS3 sounded like, but I don't think it was much quieter. And this thing is silent beyond the blu-ray drive. Drive is definitely a lot quieter than Wii's IMO.

Derrick01

Banned
GT 5's power consumption seemed to max at around 74 or 75. When looking, don't think I've ever seen it higher.

Have to say, definitely pleased with it. It's ugly as sin, but beyond that, in the things that are important, seems like a real nice revision.

Disc drive isn't that bad. Can't remember what my old PS3 sounded like, but I don't think it was much quieter. And this thing is silent beyond the blu-ray drive. Drive is definitely a lot quieter than Wii's IMO.

Yeah this is definitely more silent than my 60gb was. The drive is louder but the overall system noise is as close to 0 as you can get probably while still being on. I remember playing Uncharted 2 on my 60gb and it sounded like it wanted to die right there.

I'll gladly take a slightly louder drive that so far hasn't affected my playing over an overheating jet engine.

UFRA

I have the "old" slim model and I thought my optical drive was going bad, glad to see that it actually just is a noisy son of a bish, and not an issue.

DonMigs85

Anybody know if the Splash Blue PS3 has the color ingrained in the plastic, or is it just paint?
That's one thing I hated about the platinum GameCube since it could get scratched.

"vrooooommmmm" stop then "vroooooooooom" a minute later, that's the cycle for the noise in my new PS3 :(

At first I thought it was broken haha but after reading some threads that's the noise I should expect from now on, oh well

mclaren777

Does anyone know if PSN games will transfer over using the Transfer Utility?

Or will I have to redownload everything again?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Some games really bring the worst out of slim's disc drive. Uncharted 2 is a medium range offender, but on the other hand UC3 loads much quieter.

The blu ray drive is driving me nuts. It's as noisy as the Dreamcast.
Oh. hell no. Thousand times no.

Owzers

Ended up getting a ps3 slim 3001 model from Kmart with their $50 coupon deal, the only 160GB model they had left was the last holiday bundle with lbp2 and ratchet, but i think someone returned it......but i can't prove it, it's just odd that they had only ONE ps3 in stock and it happened to be a typically out of stock unit.

Aside from the healthy paranoia, my experience with it so far:

Yes it has a noisy blu ray disc drive but i don't mind it, it's not all the time either and i used to have a dreamcast which was indeed much worse.

Fan/general noise: It has an annoying low humming noise as it's general system noise, compared to the noise of just a fan blowing air out like my old 60GB system. Between the two though, i'll take the low hum over a space heater. When 6 or so feet away, with dead silence in the room, you can definitely hear the hum, but it's a non-factor with any tv/game noise.

mclaren777

It's a Belkin Insight.

And here's a great piece of news for people who are thinking about upgrading: EVERYTHING transfers when you use the Data Transfer Utility!

It literally makes an exact duplicate of your old PS3. It's truly quite amazing and far superior to the Backup/Restore Utility.

Marco1

Can I use the backup to a external HDD as I don't see the point if my PS3 dies and I need to exchange it in-store? There is no way a store will let me take it home and trust me to return it once the restore has been done.

Owzers

It's a Belkin Insight.

And here's a great piece of news for people who are thinking about upgrading: EVERYTHING transfers when you use the Data Transfer Utility!

It literally makes an exact duplicate of your old PS3. It's truly quite amazing and far superior to the Backup/Restore Utility.

Does your slim make a slight electronic humming noise?

Owzers

I have a new slim. What do you mean by electric humming noise? The machine itself? Or in the audio?

The machine itself. You can hear it most at the front left side, but instead of a loud "fan blowing air " noise, i get a little fan noise and a slight steady hum. You'll mostly hear it if the room is silent though.

I just recently got the infamous 2 bundle that comes with the 320GB system. Anyone else notice the official remote not working as well? Not sure if this was due to a system update or the actual new system I bought. I used to have an old phat model and the remote worked better.

1-D_FTW

The machine itself. You can hear it most at the front left side, but instead of a loud "fan blowing air " noise, i get a little fan noise and a slight steady hum. You'll mostly hear it if the room is silent though.

Yeah. I have it then. Turned everything off and put my head in front. Could hear the faint whirl of the tiny fan spinning. Then I put my head above the unit (and into the echo of the shelving) and I could hear that humming. So it's there, but short of turning everything else off and sticking my head right into the shelving, I'd never hear it.

Owzers

Yeah. I have it then. Turned everything off and put my head in front. Could hear the faint whirl of the tiny fan spinning. Then I put my head above the unit (and into the echo of the shelving) and I could hear that humming. So it's there, but short of turning everything else off and sticking my head right into the shelving, I'd never hear it.

Thanks for checking, I think that rules out trying to exchange it for another one. I can still hear it several feet away in a quiet room , but I tend to hear everything, partly why i haven't bought a plasma tv yet incase the slight buzzing at the back of the panel drives me crazy.

Next step: use my 30 day psn + membership to get a discount on the 2 year warranty Sony sells through.

DonMigs85

Anybody know how the actual temperatures on the GPU/CPU on the 3000 compare to the previous slims? That inferior heatsink design with vertical fins still worries me.

DonMigs85

Just got a new Splash Blue PS3 and started the data transfer, it's taking a looong time just to show the remaining time and get past 0%.
EDIT: Time finally appeared, about 4 hours and 50 minutes to transfer ~180GB.

DonMigs85

Data transfer now at the 25 hour mark and 89% complete... Going to bed now, hopefully it'll be done by the time I get up.

DonMigs85

so around 32 hours for the whole process?? YUK

My old PS3 had a 250GB HDD and about 13GB free space (not sure if the space reserved for system cache is factored in). I guess using a Cat6 Gigabit ethernet cable doesn't really speed it up either.

DonMigs85

Guys, I'm pleased to report that after roughly 38 hours my PS3 finally completed the data transfer. Everything's here, I just need to reactivate the accounts.

DonMigs85

My own impressions:
- The unit has a fan/drive hum that is ever so slightly louder than my old Fat, but not a big deal.
- When reading a disc the unit has mild vibration.
-It actually seems to feel a bit warmer on the back than my Fat, but maybe that's actually a good thing? More heat being pushed out the rear?

Anyway I'm pretty happy so far but I do wish they kept the wifi led. It could come in handy to tell if network activity has stopped or the console froze up.

DonMigs85

It uses less power, so it doesn't need as much cooling. Whether or not the previous cooling system was "overkill" doesn't factor into it.

It only uses just a few watts less than the previous model, but they did drop the power supply's max capacity from 230 to 200W (although neither this nor the previous model really uses much more than 80-90W at full load).
Similarly, the 360 S has a far simpler heatsink design than any of the older 360 models.

Chris R

The only thing I don't like about my slim is how noisy the Blu Ray drive is. Granted, it only seems loud I'm guessing because the rest of the system is really quiet, but it is grating if the game is loading and there is no music going on. It is nice and quiet when it isn't hitting the disc though.

Top Bottom