• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

I think that is the new model. I don't see anyone claiming they've eliminated all the lights. And if you look at the power numbers I posted earlier, Daytona USA running at 58 watts is pretty damn impressive. I really think we do have the latest model and A and B is the difference between 160 and 320GB.

I think you're right. I've got an older slim as well, and this one doesn't have the wifi light.

Chris R

Hope my holiday bundle drive isn't loud :(

Few hours now until I get home and boot it up.

Speaking of booting it up, is there a specific thread that details the exact steps I need to take to get all of my stuff transferred off my old 60GB Phat to the new PS3 (and then wipe the 60GB back to factory clean state ready to be sold)?

Bebpo

Banned
Interesting. Well hopefully that means its the most sturdy and not-dying prone model yet. I just want a PS3 that survives until PS4 at this point :)

Derrick01

Banned
The drive is definitely louder, it's not as loud as lets say the Dreamcast loud, but its definitely noticeable where my 60GB I didn't even notice the drive spinning up.

Well I popped in little big planet 2 and the drive noise didn't really seem to kick up at all, I can't hear anything still.

Granted it's probably because this game's not exactly a graphical monster like uncharted 3, I'll have to test it out whenever that game gets here.

A.R.K

CECH-3001A is the new model. Quick Google search and it'll show up as the new model.

Just opened mine and yep that's the model I got in the ps3 bundle. Looks cheaper than my older original slim :(. Wifi led is gone. Sony logo in the front is not colored white, just engraved. Metallic plate is gone where on/off button is. Will be testing for drive loudness and hdd speed after kids sleep.

Cruzader

Banned
Just opened mine and yep that's the model I got in the ps3 bundle. Looks cheaper than my older original slim :(. Wifi led is gone. Sony logo in the front is not colored white, just engraved. Metallic plate is gone where on/off button is. Will be testing for drive loudness and hdd speed after kids sleep.
Any pic differences to compare new and old slim?

DonMigs85

In addition to shrinking the fan diameter a bit this model also uses a heatsink with vertical fins as opposed to the horizontal rows in older models. I wonder which is more effective...

Huh, first I'm hearing of this, though it would explain why it's been so quiet playing uncharted 3 on my new holiday slim then just a few weeks ago playing U3 on my old slim, that one was loud as hell.

I'll look at the back of mine in the morning.

ChanHuk

Banned
The unit itself is quiet, the BD drive is just loud as fuck compared to my old phatty. I'm playing AC and every cutscene drives me crazy because the BD drive is spinning for data.

A.R.K

Uugghhhh the data transfer is pain fully slow (1.5 hours and only 50%). And Sony fix trophy sync shit because I gave up as it was taking too long. Not doing this transfer shit again!!!

Chris R

Uugghhhh the data transfer is pain fully slow (1.5 hours and only 50%). And Sony fix trophy sync shit because I gave up as it was taking too long. Not doing this transfer shit again!!!
The transfer will speed up if it was anything like mine. 0-40 went fast, then 40-55 took forever followed by a very fast 55-100%

Nice and quiet, with only a little noise when reading the brd. I like that it is matte too.

1-D_FTW

I've yet to put a blu-ray in it, but I played a DVD last night and it was silent. After some of these impressions, was fearing it was going to be a Wii with a Morse code of squawks and eeps from the drive. Hopefully blu-ray discs are equally as silent for me.

acm2000

the insane amount of penny pinching from sony on ps3/psp revisions, shows how much they are struggling to compete price wise with MS and nintendo, MS can cut the price of the 360 any time they want, but they dont need to

Massa

Well traded in my YLOD 60GB PS3 for $105 at Gamestop. Now I have no idea what to do with $105 in store credit :(

Get Dark Souls and Skyrim, say goodbye to your life.

the insane amount of penny pinching from sony on ps3/psp revisions, shows how much they are struggling to compete price wise with MS and nintendo, MS can cut the price of the 360 any time they want, but they dont need to

Sony's been doing that forever, you just didn't have the internet tell you the difference between a 2000, 2100, 2500, and 3000 slim PS3.

Sony has always had a lot more pennies to pinch when it comes to build/assembly costs. They're just finally now coming down to the level MS and Nintendo have been at for a long time.

Takuan

Dat satin silver... North America never got these, right?

Part of me wishes I traded in my 40GB Phatty™ for a 160GB slim model back when EB had their promotion (I think they were giving people $150 or something to that effect for any fat model). I haven't had any issues with it, but I checked my HD space a while back and really didn't have much left considering the only games on the drive are the SF4 series, Noby Noby and DOTP2012. I can't remember the exact number, but it was less than 20GB.

Didn't realize this was necro'd from June. Not liking what I'm hearing about fan noise; mine makes enough noise as it is. Guess I'll hold onto it for a bit.

acm2000

Sony has always had a lot more pennies to pinch when it comes to build/assembly costs. They're just finally now coming down to the level MS and Nintendo have been at for a long time.

you think sony are on the same level? i doubt it is even close in the slightest

1-D_FTW

you think sony are on the same level? i doubt it is even close in the slightest

You're saying they're worse? Nobody is worse than Nintendo. They start out cheap and revise downward. SNES got its s-video support pulled. Gamecube got its component support pulled. Wii had some pretty nasty downgrades in the latest revision. If you were being incredibly harsh, you could accuse them of being on Nintendo's level with this. But that's overly harsh IMO.

1-D_FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CcvXuldDk

That's what my slim sounds like when playing MW3 and AC.

Is that the newest one? Are you sure you're even supposed to orientate it vertically? There's zero mention anywhere in the quick-start instructions and there are only rubber feet for the horizontal position. Don't think you're supposed to do that. Unless the older slim allowed it.

Was kind of disappointed by this removal, but the thing is so ugly now, I'd just assume have it sitting horizontal and hidden from view.

I think the main reason they supported vertical placement was superior air flow/cooling. But since the newest slim has the side vents completely removed, there's no functional purpose for supporting it anymore.

EDIT: Rechecked that video. You've got a blu-led. So that's the 2500 model. Are you sure it supports vertical placement? The 3000s don't.

Erasus

Dat satin silver... North America never got these, right?

Part of me wishes I traded in my 40GB Phatty™ for a 160GB slim model back when EB had their promotion (I think they were giving people $150 or something to that effect for any fat model). I haven't had any issues with it, but I checked my HD space a while back and really didn't have much left considering the only games on the drive are the SF4 series, Noby Noby and DOTP2012. I can't remember the exact number, but it was less than 20GB.

Didn't realize this was necro'd from June. Not liking what I'm hearing about fan noise; mine makes enough noise as it is. Guess I'll hold onto it for a bit.

Just upgrade the HDD then no need for a whole new console...

ChanHuk

Banned
Is that the newest one? Are you sure you're even supposed to orientate it vertically? There's zero mention anywhere in the quick-start instructions and there are only rubber feet for the horizontal position. Don't think you're supposed to do that. Unless the older slim allowed it.

Was kind of disappointed by this removal, but the thing is so ugly now, I'd just assume have it sitting horizontal and hidden from view.

I think the main reason they supported vertical placement was superior air flow/cooling. But since the newest slim has the side vents completely removed, there's no functional purpose for supporting it anymore.

EDIT: Rechecked that video. You've got a blu-led. So that's the 2500 model. Are you sure it supports vertical placement? The 3000s don't.

That's not my PS3, just found a video of it on youtube and my slim makes the same noises. And again, I do have the 3001A.

1-D_FTW

That's not my PS3, just found a video of it on youtube and my slim makes the same noises. And again, I do have the 3001A.

But is it upright or lying flat? If you have it upright, I'd try the other position and see if it makes a difference. That video is so shaky it's hard to tell, but it almost looks like the thing is wobbling slightly from the drive spinning.

Cruzader

Banned
I plan on doing this and I'm scared. Didn't someone post that something differs based on which psn account You do the transfer on? Like if you do it on your main, something might not transfer 100% from that account so you'd have to make a new dummy account and do the transfer from there to get all your accounts done properly.

Anyone got a clue what I'm talking about? Read it here on GAF.

Derrick01

Banned
Are these holiday bundle slims supposed to load slowly or does Uncharted 3 just load really slow for every ps3? When I first start the game it loads kinda slow, you know when the ring pops up on the bottom right, and when I just started a new campaign it took at least a minute to load the intro cutscene

Carl

Are these holiday bundle slims supposed to load slowly or does Uncharted 3 just load really slow for every ps3? When I first start the game it loads kinda slow, you know when the ring pops up on the bottom right, and when I just started a new campaign it took at least a minute to load the intro cutscene

All Uncharted games do this. That's the only loadscreen you will see.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is it like that every time? I cant say 100% for sure, but i think that my first start of Uncharted 3 was a bit slower than usual.

Carlisle

Also, the first few bootups for U3 take much longer than later ones because it's also installing part of the game data to the HDD. Afterwards it's a lot more manageable.
Still kinda long though

jett

D-Member

Actually Uncharted 3 loads the fastest out of the three games, lolz.

A.R.K

I plan on doing this and I'm scared. Didn't someone post that something differs based on which psn account You do the transfer on? Like if you do it on your main, something might not transfer 100% from that account so you'd have to make a new dummy account and do the transfer from there to get all your accounts done properly.

Anyone got a clue what I'm talking about? Read it here on GAF.

Finally got my stuff transferred to the new the holiday slim. Got the old system deactivated and then activated on the new slim for all my 3 accounts. So far from what I saw (I didn't get the chance to play on it), the transfer utility basically makes an exact copy of the old system you are transferring from to the new one. So all the stuff from old slim is on the new system (downloaded games, demos, save files, accounts etc). So it looks like you don't have to do the transfer from each account separately, just the master one (which is what I did). Also as a precaution I saved the game saves to an external HDD just in case. But some games now don't even allow to save it to the HDD but just the PSN+ cloud which is BS! They should at least give the option to save it on the HDD (Crysis 2, BF3, Demon's Soul, KZ2 didn't have the HDD option). But good news is that the transfer utility copies everything AS IS to the new system and seems like everything is intact.

I ran a test just to see the noise levels of the BRDrive, and seems like it is about the same (may be more on the new model but not by much). But it does run quieter and cooler than the old slim. They took out the LEDs on the on/off and eject buttons and for wifi. The metallic looking strip (where on/off) is gone too. Looks like they were trying to cut the pennies every and any way they could.

Well I am glad I am finally done with this and hopefully won't have to do this again until PS4 :)

DonMigs85

Any more feedback on this model? Do they use identical BD drives as the 2500 series?
Also, how much power does it consume running more demanding games like Uncharted 3 or GT5?

ChanHuk

Banned
Any more feedback on this model? Do they use identical BD drives as the 2500 series?
Also, how much power does it consume running more demanding games like Uncharted 3 or GT5?

Don't have experience with the old slim, but coming from a fat PS3 to slim and the slim can't even hold the fat's jock strap other than it probably won't YLOD.

1-D_FTW

I've got GT 5 supposedly (Amazon) being delivered next Tuesday. I'll post Kill-A-Watt numbers then.

Marco1

Mine has been running all night DL'ing GT5 patches and DLC and after playing some GT5 I can't hear this PS3 at all.
I admit the cosmetic changes by removing the LED and silver PS sign is worse looking, the silence makes up for it.
And this coming from someone who still thinks the 360S is noisy.

Owzers

Any updates? Debating on replacing my broke 60GB with a slim or trying to ride it out till ps4. It's not like i don't have a backlog that could crush a horse.

Boss Man

I've been wanting to buy a new PS3 (sold mine a while back for money issues), good timing! I hope this one cuts the heat down, that's the only complaint I have about the system. Makes my room noticeably warmer and I live in Louisiana so that ain't enjoyable.

1-D_FTW

I've been wanting to buy a new PS3 (sold mine a while back for money issues), good timing! I hope this one cuts the heat down, that's the only complaint I have about the system. Makes my room noticeably warmer and I live in Louisiana so that ain't enjoyable.

Definitely. Heat being dissipated in the room is basically all about wattage. I still don't have any retail discs I can pop in (will post when I do), but running Daytona USA uses about 58 watts. The plastic in back is a little warm, but that's because the fans are barely running. 58 watts isn't going to affect room temperature at all.

It'll be interesting to see what GT5 uses, but I'm not expecting more than 80 or 90 watts. Especially since Daytona uses a couple watts less (on average) than the dashboard. So clearly these things aren't being undervolted at idle like a modern CPU/GPU. So I don't anticipate there being a major jump in wattage for full games.

Derrick01

Banned
Any updates? Debating on replacing my broke 60GB with a slim or trying to ride it out till ps4. It's not like i don't have a backlog that could crush a horse.

Well I played through Uncharted 3 on the holiday bundle slim and it went extremely well. There was no actual system noise change and the drive while kinda loud only made noises every now and then and was never an actual problem.

It does seem to take a while to cool down but it never gets really hot. When I'm done using it and it's cooled off I throw a towel over it to keep the dust off. From what I've heard the fan is smaller and thinner so I don't want this thing to choke on dust.

ChanHuk

Banned

The Holiday bundle made it so you'd be an idiot not to pick one up. $199 for a DVD/Blu-Ray/Netflix player that could play games was stupid to pass up, especially since they gave you two games to go along with it. If they do another holiday bundle run you should definitely get in on it.

But I was watching a blu-ray and the disc drive wasn't too annoying since my volume was turned up, the PS3 itself was whisper quiet and my room was still freezing.

Derrick01

Banned
I also feel that it's important to note that since I didn't want the 2 games the system came with I traded them in to gamestop and, with the 10% extra from the powerup card, received about $41 total. So I feel like I got an even better deal than what it already was.

Thing is though those holiday bundles were only being sold on black friday so unless you can find a cheap one on ebay it seems fence sitters are screwed. Can still pick up a normal slim I guess.

ChanHuk

Banned
So I was playing MW3 2 player online, my PS3 keeps locking up after about 30mins of play. Think I should give Sony a call?

DonMigs85

W/c heatsink design do you guys think is more effective:
This is the 3000's
image%202.png

And the previous slims
dkcrxfdxdykyjivbxuu3.jpg

jy1v6witmrujtuyibibh.jpg

Maybe they figured the previous design was overkill and the new one is just good enough?

Top Bottom