• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

FLEABttn said:
What's the ambient temperature of the room it's in?
What game are you running?
How's the fan noise at this point?

Ambient temp in the room is 79 to 80 F

Running Uncharted 2 now have been running background downloads and blu-rays

Fan noise remains un changed, is definitely not louder then the 2501-A (at least to my ears and I am putting my head right next to the system) sound is different though like I said earlier its more of a humm where the older fan was a shhh/whoosh type sound.

Also the system is a good deal cooler to the touch in the middle and rear of the console then the 2501-A I have.

TheBanditKing said:
Ambient temp in the room is 79 to 80 F

Fan noise remains un changed, is definitely not louder then the 2501-A (at least to my ears and I am putting my head right next to the system) sound is different though like I said earlier its more of a humm where the older fan was a shhh/whoosh type sound.

Also the system is a good deal cooler to the touch in the middle and rear of the console then the 2501-A I have.

I can concur with my experience as well thus far including ambient temp in the room (I live in a 3rd story apartment in Germany)

jcm

I imagine that changing the Wifi chipset and antennas triggers fairly significant test costs, so I wouldn't expect them to add it even if N cost the same as G (and it doesn't). It would need to be cheaper to be worth the effort.

Has anyone ever setup the feature that Sony advertised initially where you link the PS3 to a Sony TV so you can use the TV remote on the console? I got a Slim last year, but I never bothered to sync it with my Bravia. Was thinking about doing it tonight if its easy.

Shancake

brucewaynegretzky said:
Has anyone ever setup the feature that Sony advertised initially where you link the PS3 to a Sony TV so you can use the TV remote on the console? I got a Slim last year, but I never bothered to sync it with my Bravia. Was thinking about doing it tonight if its easy.

I've done this with my Samsung TV + PS3. Works perfectly and was extremely easy to set up. took about 10 seconds!

wotter

brucewaynegretzky said:
You can do that with any tv that has hdmi-cec iirc. My 2008 Samsung does it at least (controlling the xmb with the menu buttons on the remote).

Crisis

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:

You absolutely should do it and it's really easy. You just have to turn on HDMI control in your settings.

Atruvius

brucewaynegretzky said:

DO IT. Really a great feature. You turn on your PS3 and the TV also turns on, turn the TV off and the PS3 shuts off. Great feature that I really miss when it bugs out.

Gekko87

JB1981 said:
My 60gb just died, need a new one. Will wait for price drop, hopefully it will be a good slim model.
Sorry if I'm derailing the topic but I got my 60gb replaced with a slim from Sony for a $100+. Also hairdryer trick works, my ps3 lasted more than a month.

kendrid

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Tell me more. What is a refurbished Slim? And what model was it?

Yes, it is a refurb 120GB slim with only a 90 day warranty. My 20gb launch console died a month ago and they offered me that deal. I passed and instead sold it on eBay for $150 (after reflowing it and stating that it was reflowed and would probably die again). I am hoping for at least a $50 price drop so I can put in another $100 and get a *new* console. I trust Sony refurbs as much as refurb 360s.

Sagitario

Atruvius said:
DO IT. Really a great feature. You turn on your PS3 and the TV also turns on, turn the TV off and the PS3 shuts off. Great feature that I really miss when it bugs out.

Works with Panasonic TVs too.

mclaren777

Loudninja said:
Yeah look back a page 2 people got one, one person even posted pictures.
I'm aware of that, but I was hoping to hear from more people with the new hardware.

I need to know if I should run out this week and buy the previous model before they're all gone.

Just wanted to give a long term update. The new PS3 has been running great, I have been playing a number of games (Uncharted 2, FFXIII, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 2, MvsC3) and the unit remains cool and quiet. No loud plastic popping, and the system exterior is only luke warm after hours of playing (discs come out cool too); big improvement over the 2501-A I had.

The one thing I have noticed is that the disc drive in this unit is louder then the old one a bit, but given what I have seen and heard over the years (80GB PS3's drives were sometimes louder or quieter then 60GB) this has more to do with blu-ray drive model then system. I have a Falcon 360 so this PS3 is silent in comparison, especially with a disc in.

The system is still (imo)as quiet as the previous model when running and I don't hear anything outside of the drive accessing when playing a game, and only when its quiet (I sit about 5 ft away). Blu-ray movies produce little to no noise.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TheBanditKing said:
and the system exterior is only luke warm after hours of playing (discs come out cool too)

Nice to hear that,on my old Slim my discs come out so freaking warm like a hot baby demon bursting from an unholy vagina.

TheBanditKing said:
Just wanted to give a long term update. The new PS3 has been running great, I have been playing a number of games (Uncharted 2, FFXIII, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 2, MvsC3) and the unit remains cool and quiet. No loud plastic popping, and the system exterior is only luke warm after hours of playing (discs come out cool too); big improvement over the 2501-A I had.

The one thing I have noticed is that the disc drive in this unit is louder then the old one a bit, but given what I have seen and heard over the years (80GB PS3's drives were sometimes louder or quieter then 60GB) this has more to do with blu-ray drive model then system. I have a Falcon 360 so this PS3 is silent in comparison, especially with a disc in.

The system is still (imo)as quiet as the previous model when running and I don't hear anything outside of the drive accessing when playing a game, and only when its quiet (I sit about 5 ft away). Blu-ray movies produce little to no noise.

Coming here to once again concur with everything ya said.
Lovin' my purchase.

Cruzader

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Just to clarify: these are the units that cannot send Blu-ray data over component cables, right?
I think its something thats done via FW. So anyone updating will get that, I believe.

mclaren777 said:
Just to clarify: these are the units that cannot send Blu-ray data over component cables, right?
Well IIRC its was a feature in the original spec of blu-ray so theoretically it should already be in every Bluray player.

Massa

mclaren777 said:

Yes. Blu-ray movies only work with HDMI or composite, games and everything else work with anything.

mclaren777

Massa said:
Yes. Blu-ray movies only work with HDMI or composite, games and everything else work with anything.
Composite still works but not component? Is that because 480i has to be part of the spec?

nataku

Anyone else get a really bad vibrating noise coming from their 3001B PS3? I can hear it when putting Infamous 2 in right away and slightly with some other games (GT5, Demon's Souls). When I put my finger under the front of the ledge and tilt the PS3 up a couple degrees the vibrating stops completely and comes back the moment I set it down again.

nataku said:
Anyone else get a really bad vibrating noise coming from their 3001B PS3? I can hear it when putting Infamous 2 in right away and slightly with some other games (GT5, Demon's Souls). When I put my finger under the front of the ledge and tilt the PS3 up a couple degrees the vibrating stops completely and comes back the moment I set it down again.
I only played Uncharted 2 for an hour last night after plugging it in & didn't notice any noises.

NinjaBoiX

Sweet. I think I'll upgrade my PS3 fairly soon then. It's getting a little unreliable of late, 08/09 "phat" model, occasionally failing to read discs and such. Just, ugh, the thought of redownloading all my shit, and repatching my library doesn't bare thinking about.

However, the alternative, waiting till it bricks completely is even worse. I mean, no matter what I do, I'd have to redownload/patch everything anyway. At least this way, I'll grab a few games with the trade in value of my old console.

bigas

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Sweet. I think I'll upgrade my PS3 fairly soon then. It's getting a little unreliable of late, 08/09 "phat" model, occasionally failing to read discs and such. Just, ugh, the thought of redownloading all my shit, and repatching my library doesn't bare thinking about.

However, the alternative, waiting till it bricks completely is even worse. I mean, no matter what I do, I'd have to redownload/patch everything anyway. At least this way, I'll grab a few games with the trade in value of my old console.
Consider backing it up. Bring a brand new system to a backup point it's much better than d/la everything again, plus, you'll get your savegames and patches in the process.

mclaren777

bigas said:
Consider backing it up. Bring a brand new system to a backup point it's much better than d/la everything again, plus, you'll get your savegames and patches in the process.
Does it actually work that well? I've heard many horror stories about transferring data between PS3s.

Number45

mclaren777 said:
Does it actually work that well? I've heard many horror stories about transferring data between PS3s.
Took a while, but it worked a charm for me. I'd do some housekeeping before you start the process (clear off any patches/install data you don't need) to keep the size down to streamline the process.

-NinjaBoiX- said:

Also, they test them out at Gamestop, so back it up and trade it soon. (if it breaks, people can return systems and then they send them back to corporate...minor inconvenience to the guy who buys it.)

brucewaynegretzky said:

I tried Bravia Link on a friend's TV and it was quite laggy.

Zoe

I can use that feature on my Samsung TV. It's not too laggy, but there's no incentive for me to use the TV remote when I already have the PS3 remote.

It's nice having the TV automatically switch sources though.

MercuryLS

Banned
Got the 3000 model PS3 today, the difference between it any my BC 80Gb model is night and fucking day. This thing is quiet as a mouse, runs very cool and doesn't have distracting leds all over the thing. You almost forget it's there, in a darkened room it disappears.

nataku said:
The PS3 isn't vibrating. The table/stand or whatever you have it on is. The disc is spinning/loading up when you put it in. last for about a minute.

Try repositioning your PS3 a little. Or adjust the platform its on.

nataku

Kung Fu Grip said:
The PS3 isn't vibrating. The table/stand or whatever you have it on is. The disc is spinning/loading up when you put it in. last for about a minute.

Try repositioning your PS3 a little. Or adjust the platform its on.

No, it was the PS3. I exchanged it for a different one and all is well. I thought it could have been the desk but moving it to other places didn't fix it, so back it went.

Shinriji

Mine was happening the same thing. Soon I found out that the little rubber squares that supports the PS3 were poorly fixed. Removed that, problem fixed.

I am loving my new CECH-3008 as well, but the one annoying thing is how much louder the HD is. I was playing R3, and the HD makes kind of a grinding sound every so often. I have read on the Sony Forums that this is the norm on these models. Oh well at least the popping is gone.

jett said:
Is there an easy way to recognize these PS3s from the box?

You really shouldn't have any trouble finding them. They're pretty much completely in circulation now. Ordering from Amazon will guarantee you one.

Still, you can see the model number on the box

nataku said:
No, it was the PS3. I exchanged it for a different one and all is well. I thought it could have been the desk but moving it to other places didn't fix it, so back it went.
Im pretty it was the platform. I experienced the samething with my phat 60gig and now my new slim. Mine is inside my TV stand. When it would vibrate i would move the shelf around until it stopped.

You said-

"When I put my finger under the front of the ledge and tilt the PS3 up a couple degrees the vibrating stops completely and comes back the moment I set it down again."

Ergo, the PS3 does have some type of vibration when loading disc, which is normal, but its whatever its on thats making the noises.

mintylurb

AgentOtaku said:
You really shouldn't have any trouble finding them. They're pretty much completely in circulation now. Ordering from Amazon will guarantee you one.

Still, you can see the model number on the box
You have to remember jett is from peru. And I don't think they have amazong..poor jett.

inner-G

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Get PS+ for a month and back your saves up to the cloud first.

And expect it to take a while.

mclaren777

inner-G said:
Get PS+ for a month and back your saves up to the cloud first.

And expect it to take a while.
I have PS+ until mid 2013 but I was referring more to the A/V content, locked game saves, and the need to redownload most of my 80+ PSN games.

FoxSpirit

mclaren777 said:
I have PS+ until mid 2013 but I was referring more to the A/V content, locked game saves, and the need to redownload most of my 80+ PSN games.
Cloud update at least will have your back on this. But yeah, downloading 80+ PSN games, I can see how this would be a drag.

Top Bottom