• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rainbow Six game on the way?

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even care anymore about the removal of the tactical planning phase before missions. Hell, I don't care about the campaign at all.

Just give me terrorist hunt where all the terrorists are spawned before the level starts.

And let us be able to choose ammo type again.

Seda

BobsRevenge said:
But they aren't Rainbow Six. :(

I hate this type of thinking. It might not be what YOU had conceived Rainbow Six to be, but it's in in the freaking title. They are Rainbow Six games.

Vegas 3 or whatever, I'm up for anything Rainbow Six.

Erico said:
I don't even care anymore about the removal of the tactical planning phase before missions. Hell, I don't care about the campaign at all.

Just give me terrorist hunt where all the terrorists are spawned before the level starts.

The terrorists spawning behind you is my biggest complaint by far about the Vegas games. If they fix that they will be perfect.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Oh fucking sweet! I can't wait for E3. Vegas 2 is still one of the better shooters this generation, IMO.

ElRenoRaven

Personally I'd love one with the controls of Vegas but with an actual complete and coherent storyline that does come to a conclusion over the course of the game.

Orayn

Raide said:
R6 using the Parkour engine stuff from AC, mainly for the movement and navigating objects/using ropes etc. Shooters need to go past chest high walls.
Chest-high walls and similar forms of cover definitely have their place in tactical shooters, but giving players even a fraction of the mobility of Assassin's Creed would turn the genre on its head. That said, I'm all for it.

Seda said:
I hate this type of thinking. It might not be what YOU had conceived Rainbow Six to be, but it's in in the freaking title. They are Rainbow Six games.

Agreed. Despite the genre shift I found the Vegas games to be fine shooters in their own right.

And yes, FIX Terrorist Hunt and their ability to spawn in some bull shit areas as well as do massive damage from a mile away with a goddamned SPAS 12.

I always thought it'd be cool to work Sam Fisher into a R6 story, but without them ever really crossing paths.

Vyrance

I just wish they'd make a new Rainbow 6 that would be like the original two of the series. I played the hell out of the original.

Marvie_3

Banned
Orayn said:
Even if RSV and RSV2 were disappointing compared to the older Rainbow games, they were still head and shoulders above most shooters out there. I'd love to see Ubi take another swing at the series, especially if they focus more on the tactical shooter roots. Also, co-op with multiple teams would be fan-fucking-tastic.
This. Loved Vegas 1 and 2.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Seda said:

Well, the implication of posting something like that is that it is an opinion. Clearly they are technically Rainbow Six games...

I mean... :|

Come on.

TheTowel

Still don't understand how Rainbow Six 3 and Black Arrow went from being the #1 and #2 played games on og xbox live to what we get now (before Halo 2 was released). The Vegas ones? Commando missions with none of the original strategic elements of the originals. Then again, that was when downloadable content was free and there was a tight community online.

Guess that community died ages ago.

I find it very interesting that many Junior Members want to go back to the format of the original game while the Members seem content with the direction of Vegas.

Just an observation. :)

Erico said:

Yeah terrorist hunt in the last game was particularly bad. They automatically knew where you were from the get-go and attacked in Zulu-style human waves against you, with a few stragglers that were invariably in the same spots every time. Really weak part of the game and it should have been the best.

faridmon

Gooster said:
I find it very interesting that many Junior Members want to go back to the format of the original game while the Members seem content with the direction of Vegas.

hey, don't lump me with those of no passion.

BloodySinner said:
What difference does it make? Ubisoft doesn't properly support their multiplayer games post-launch.

See Vegas & Vegas 2 for details. :/

To each their own, but I've never been into these games for their MP. Well, GRAW and the original GR had MP to die for, but it was still mostly about SP for me.

For.

TheTowel

Gooster said:

Played Vegas and most of the earlier titles. The series began as a tactical shooter and ended up as a relatively generic arcade shooter. And I'm not talking about the lack of mission planning. Regenerative health comes to mind.

This might be unpopular but I'm going to say it anyway. FPS's that pop out to third person view when you're behind cover are really jarring. Just do one or the other please.

oh LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWDY pah-leeeeeaaase let this be true.
HAWLELUYA, praisah tha LAAAAWD!!!

please please please please please please please please please

Would like to see Ubi use the engine running the CoD games; good graphics, framerate, controls...but keep the gameplay tactical not arcadey.

Place bets on whether the next Rainbow Six includes a final anti-terrorist mission to Abbotabad.

Orayn

Neuromancer said:
This might be unpopular but I'm going to say it anyway. FPS's that pop out to third person view when you're behind cover are really jarring. Just do one or the other please.
I would normally agree, but I felt RSV pulled it off in a pretty reasonable way, and the game would have been a hell of a lot more awkward without it. Stacking up against doors or rapelling in first person? Very, very iffy without a flexible camera "neck" and a good quality view of your character's body, as in Crysis or Halo.

wwm0nkey

SkoomaSuckinSwit said:
Would like to see Ubi use the engine running the CoD games; good graphics, framerate, controls...but keep the gameplay tactical not arcadey.

Place bets on whether the next Rainbow Six includes a final anti-terrorist mission to Abbotabad.
You are aware the CoD games use the Quake III engine right?

Orayn said:
I would normally agree, but I felt RSV pulled it off in a pretty reasonable way, and the game would have been a hell of a lot more awkward without it. Stacking up against doors or rapelling in first person? Very, very iffy without a flexible camera "neck" and a good quality view of your character's body, as in Crysis or Halo.
I don't know, they did first person rappelling OK in Black Ops. As for stacking up to doors, didn't your guys usually do that at your command, without you?

I'd rather they just stick to third person then if they feel seeing your dude is that important.

wwm0nkey said:
You are aware the CoD games use the Quake III engine right?

Heavily modified Quake graphics engine, yes sir.

My suggestion was just an example of the quality and performance I'd like to see in the next Rainbow game.

demolitio

ChuckNoLuck said:
Hell yea. One of the few games that my brother and I could play at the same time in coop. Boy did he get mad at me if I breached the room before he could get there. :p

I'm hoping we go back to a more realistic setting and storyline with a variety of locations. Maybe even have coop missions separate from the story that have you going all over the place like a mission in a jungle in South America where you must raid a compound and capture a druglord or a mission on a hijacked ship where you gotta kill some crazy pirates, etc. No games really want to make coop separate with an insane variety of locations. Each mission could be its own story. I said this like 50 times for SOCOM 4 so now I'll pitch the idea here. :p

Orayn

SkoomaSuckinSwit said:
Heavily modified Quake graphics engine, yes sir.

My suggestion was just an example of the quality and performance I'd like to see in the next Rainbow game.
Well, Ubi does have the Scimitar engine at their disposal, which is very snappy and would look wonderful at 60 FPS. I wonder if any studio considered making a shooter with it before? The only Scimitar games I know of are the AC series, the 2008 and onward Prince of Persia games, and Shaun White Snowboarding.

Jtrizzy

Playing through SOCOM 4 right now, and it is scratching the tactical itch. I'll buy any R6 game, be it new or old style.

RedSwirl

Minimum Rage said:
The latest 3rd person rainbow sixes should have gotten a different title.

I love playing tactical shooters like Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear and SWAT4.

They switched to another genre, but continued using the same title, meaning they killed a whole genre.

More or less this. Other than the ability to tell people what cover to hide behind, these games are not very different from Gears and Uncharted. To be honest, Gears 2 actually felt more tactical than Vegas just from the level design.

I understand not making the games super-realistic military sims anymore because those games focus on authenticity over fun, but Ubisoft threw the baby out with the bathwater when dumbing it down. Tactical shooters are supposed to be all about the strategy and making a good battleplan. The recent ones are mostly about just shooting people while hiding behind cover. At least Gears actually asks you to skillfully maneuver around the enemy.

Jtrizzy said:
Playing through SOCOM 4 right now, and it is scratching the tactical itch. I'll buy any R6 game, be it new or old style.

I'm also playing through SOCOM 4 and it's just reinforcing my disappointment with what's happened to the genre.

Neuromancer said:
This seems unlikely.

I think our best hope is for Ubisoft to do what they did with GRAW and allow a different team to create a totally different game for the PC crowd.

Jtrizzy

SOCOM 4 is bringing back my love for military shooters outside of the Battlefield series. I love playing through the game at my own pace, slowly and tactically. That isn't an option in most games these days.

GrayFoxPL

Xater said:
It would be pretty funny if we get a new Rainbow Six before they finish that Ghost Recon game they showed off last year.

They have to rewrite Ghost Recon because Osama is dead. :D

Yes, please bring a new decent tactical shooter to the masses. Very tired of the 'run around and shoot at everything like a lunatic' approach that many shooters utilize.

I think I have logged 500+ hours of R6 Vegas and R6V2 on my 360. Ha Ha. Recently blasted through R6V2 on PC with my nephew. Such a fun co-op game.

Orayn

Smeghead said:
I hope they stay away from third person/cover stuff, go back to Rainbow Six 3 days.
I dunno, you'd just be making the game less interesting if you didn't add something in its place, or adapt the system to work in first person. "Sticky" cover in a good thing as long as it's not completely bulletproof and the transitions into and out of it aren't too clunky.

TheTowel

luka said:
*fires up Raven Shield to remember happier days*

Leaning around corners. A forgotten art. Cracking a door open and lobbing a 'nade through and hearing a real explosion sound... the good old days. I'd be happy if they just copied the old grenade sounds. Hearing that shit blow up next to you while playing online was some scary shit.

Please bring back old Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear days of that series in the late 90's. I have totally lost interest in this series really since 3. And Ghost Recon, same thing since the first and second in the early 2000's.

I feel like I am being "old grandpa get off my lawn" like, but I liked planning missions, the slow pace. I even liked screwing up because I knew it was my fault and why.

Even in its current bastardized form, I'd gladly take a dozen Rainbow Six Vegas sequels over most of the "follow the NPC and snipe when he tells you to snipe, run when he tells you to run, hide when he tells you to hide" FPS campaigns we get nowadays for modern military shooters.

Who cares about tactics, lines of fire, and choke points? Bitch we're storming this building in SLOW MOTION. /Black Ops

Oreoleo

Hope they've got some new tricks up their sleeve.

The modern FPS market is much more crowded now than it was when Vegas 2 came out.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Ubisoft registered rabbids-bd.com, rayman-bd.com, and redsteel-bd.com and it's worth noting that BD is an abbreviation for "bande dessinée" — the French term for comic books.

A new Rainbow 6 could be in the works, but this domain has nothing to with it.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Orellio said:
Hope they've got some new tricks up their sleeve.

The modern FPS market is much more crowded now than it was when Vegas 2 came out.

The only trick I want is for them to be as close to the series' roots as possible. I don't want any dudebro nonsense or any flashy gimmicks.

TheTowel said:
Leaning around corners. A forgotten art. Cracking a door open and lobbing a 'nade through and hearing a real explosion sound... the good old days. I'd be happy if they just copied the old grenade sounds. Hearing that shit blow up next to you while playing online was some scary shit.
Throwing a flashbang through a window (breaking the glass) while your teammate is standing next to the door ready to breach was just *so* awesome.

Top Bottom