• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil CG movie announced (2017 release)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I thought Degeneration was okay, and actually liked Damnation, so I'm on-board. I'm interested what they plan to do with Rebecca after all these years.

However, it being slated for 2017 means there's a high chance Resident Evil 7 will be coming out 2017 as well. Degeneration took place between RE4 and RE5 and tied in, releasing a few months before. Damnation took place after RE5 but before RE6 and tied-in. They both ended with endings teases of the next game, and assuming this is the same (which there is no reason to believe otherwise), that would probably mean RE7 will be coming out after this movie, which would mean that RE7 would be a 2017 release likely.

duckroll

This might be a weird question but.... does anyone know if the director Takanori Tsujimoto is the brother of Haruhiro Tsujimoto, the COO of Capcom, and Ryozo Tsujimoto, the Capcom corporate officer and series producer of Monster Hunter? He was born in 1971 in Osaka, so that would put him in the right age range and geographical location to be the middle son of Capcom CEO Kenzo Tsujimoto. Not that I'm implying anything about Capcom here. Nope. Not a thing!

AdaWong

Revelations 2: Claire
This: Leon, Chris, Rebecca
RE2Make: Leon, Claire, Ada
RE0: Rebecca

There, I just confirmed Jill to be the main character of RE7.

KyleCross

2017, eh? We could have RE7 by then. Really cool to see Rebecca FINALLY returning to the series, tho I'm a little confused with how. I mean, didn't she basically retire from the whole fighting BOW business? A stage show was just announced with her in it (along with Chris and Piers) where she works at a university and then gets swept up into a mess. How is this movie going to tie into that? Is the movie going to be based on the stage play?

Finaika

OMG YES,

CAPCPOM. MORE ADA. PLS.

image.php

Awesome.

Come to think of it, if Rebecca's here, what are the odds of Billy...?

After all, they brought Barry back for one last hoora.

Revelations 2: Claire, Barry
This: Leon, Chris, Rebecca
RE2Make: Leon, Claire, Ada
RE0: Rebecca, Billy

fixed

Awesome news, loved the other two. Chris and Leon again after RE6 is a little weird, but cool for Becca, I wonder about her personality in the movie, I hope they go with her RE0 personality.

Dusk Golem

2017, eh? We could have RE7 by then. Really cool to see Rebecca FINALLY returning to the series, tho I'm a little confused with how. I mean, didn't she basically retire from the whole fighting BOW business? A stage show was just announced with her in it (along with Chris and Piers) where she works at a university and then gets swept up into a mess. How is this movie going to tie into that? Is the movie going to be based on the stage play?

While Rebecca is now a professor at a university, she works from time to time with the BSAA on certain cases that involve her expertise in growing medical fields from what I understand. Since the play has Capcom involvement, I take it that is Rebecca's official role now, guess this movie will confirm or deny that, but seems this will be a case she is pulled in to help on if that remains true.

AdaWong

Come to think of it, if Rebecca's here, what are the odds of Billy...?

After all, they brought Barry back for one last hoora.

fixed

I don't want to burst your bubble but Barry and Billy are faaaar from being a main RE game character. Rebecca barely is, as it is.

The Relevant:
Leon: 6 Major (RE2, RE4, RE:DC, Deg, Dam, RE6)
Chris: 6 Major (RE, RE:CV, RE:UC, RE5, Rev, RE6)
Wesker: 5 Major (RE, RE:CV, RE:UC, RE5), 1 Minor (RE4)
Ada: 4 Major (RE4, RE6, RE:UC, Dam), 1 Minor (RE2)
Jill: 4 Major (RE, RE3, RE:UC, Rev), 1 Minor (RE5)
Claire: 4 Major (RE2, RE:CV, Rev2, Deg)
Rebecca: 2 Major (RE0, RE:UC), 1 Minor (RE)

The Irrelevant:
Barry: 1 Major (Rev2), 1 Minor (RE)
Sherry: 1 Major (RE6), 1 Minor (RE2)
Billy: 1 Major (RE0)
Sheva: 1 Major (RE5)
On and on...

Dusk Golem

Wait though, reading the original article and the tweet:

tumblr_inline_nw8ui77ePp1qi742m_500.png

They mention this as some sort of Resident Evil reboot, like they specifically mention this film is the start of a whole new reboot for Resident Evil. They use リブー, which is directly meaning reboot, Both the tweet and the press release specifically mention it being a for a new reboot for Resident Evil. What are they talking about? The press release even talks about it being the start of the zombie apocalypse, and an all new start for Resident Evil. I'm not fluent in Japapnese, so I'm not concluding anything, but they definitely are throwing the word reboot around a lot with the project and talk about the start of the "Zombie Boom" a lot in the press release. Any context for this from anyone fluent?

Astral Dog

They mention this as some sort of Resident Evil reboot, like they specifically mention this film is the start of a whole new reboot for Resident Evil. They use リブー, which is directly meaning reboot, Both the tweet and the press release specifically mention it being a for a new reboot for Resident Evil. What are they talking about? The press release even talks about it being the start of the zombie apocalypse, and an all new start for Resident Evil. I'm not fluent in Japapnese, so I'm not concluding anything, but they definitely are throwing the word reboot around a lot with the project and talk about the start of the "Zombie Boom" a lot in the press release. Any context for this from anyone fluent?

Megaton. Reboot of the movie continuity.
? very weird

Dusk Golem

Okay, trying to translate it, the press release is definitely mentioning rebooting the franchise. Do they mean the film franchise? But that doesn't make any sense, since the CG films were just canon stories in the main game series. Is it a new CG film series away from the main games story, maybe? Is this film the first entry in a new reboot series of Resident Evil in general? It's definitely talking about a Resident Evil franchise reboot, but I don't know if it means a reboot for the CG films, if the film is a tie-in for a new franchise reboot of Resident Evil, or what.

AdaWong

It goes without saying that this film was developed alongside RE7. We should wait on RE7 and see what the hell is it even about before this makes any sense.

duckroll

There aren't really any specifics with regards to story or setting, so it's impossible at this point to draw any conclusions about whether this is a story reboot or not. The context of reboot in the press release is that this is a brand new CG movie project and not a continuation of the previous films in terms of production. New staff, new studio, new tone. It seems that this time they want to go back to the franchise's zombie movie roots and approach it from a horror angle rather than just an action movie.

Dusk Golem

There aren't really any specifics with regards to story or setting, so it's impossible at this point to draw any conclusions about whether this is a story reboot or not. The context of reboot in the press release is that this is a brand new CG movie project and not a continuation of the previous films in terms of production. New staff, new studio, new tone. It seems that this time they want to go back to the franchise's zombie movie roots and approach it from a horror angle rather than just an action movie.

That would make sense, though that has me hopeful it'll be enjoyable in the horror department, though I'd be fine if it was a fun dumb action movie too. Just with all the talk about people wanting a Resident Evil reboot and them throwing around reboot around this project, it definitely raised my eyebrow for a bit, especially as the CG film series really wouldn't need a full-on reboot unless they wanted to separate it from the games.

Awesome.

I just hope they keep Leon's reality defying batshit insanity intact. Although it's going to be hard to top his last two outings shananagins, like out swimming a shark, and surgically removing a parasite from a guys spine by shooting him from the front.

cvxfreak

The Relevant:
Chris: 6 Major (RE, RE:CV, RE:UC, RE5, Rev, RE6)
Ada: 4 Major (RE4, RE6, RE:UC, Dam), 1 Minor (RE2)
Jill: 4 Major (RE, RE3, RE:UC, Rev), 1 Minor (RE5)

I would argue Chris is minor in REV, and Jill as Major in RE5 Gold. Ada definitely wasn't major in REUC, either.

AdaWong

I would argue Chris is minor in REV, and Jill as Major in RE5 Gold. Ada definitely wasn't major in REUC, either.

I wouldn't say Chris was minor in Rev at all. The game was centered around Jill and Chris and although Chris didn't get as much playtime, he definitely wasn't a minor. Raymond, Jessica (to an extent) and Quint were minor, and I wouldn't put Chris in the same boat as them.

Jill was not major in RE5. I guess you could argue she became a major character with the inclusion of her DLC chapters but at launch she sure as hell wasn't major. She literally only talked in 3 scenes (excluding a phrase or two as the 'Birdlady')

RE:UC brought 4 new canon chapters, Jill/Chris' "Umbrella's End", Rebecca's "Nightmare", Ada's "Death's Door" and Wesker's "Beginning's"/"Rebirth"/"Dark Legacy". If you're going to count Ada's as minor, then Rebecca, Jill and Chris' roles should be minor in UC, too.

Wow, I had never seen that. Pretty cool man, thanks.

Watch this fight too, (Svetlana lowkey kicking my ass):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TNeZM4Ixfo

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The link says Chris and Rebecca will be making their film debut to join returning Leon, so most probably not a series reboot.

ZoddGutts

This might be a weird question but.... does anyone know if the director Takanori Tsujimoto is the brother of Haruhiro Tsujimoto, the COO of Capcom, and Ryozo Tsujimoto, the Capcom corporate officer and series producer of Monster Hunter? He was born in 1971 in Osaka, so that would put him in the right age range and geographical location to be the middle son of Capcom CEO Kenzo Tsujimoto. Not that I'm implying anything about Capcom here. Nope. Not a thing!

Reminds me of the Berserk movies being directed by the Idolm@ster character designer, coincidence much?

AdaWong

She'll be in one coming next year I believe.

He means the canon CGI movies, not the live-action ones. The live-action series will conclude next year with Alice, Wesker, Jill, Ada, Leon, and Claire starring in it. (Rumor has it Chris is not returning or is being recast)

Accoun

This is the start of Capcom Cinematic Universe with Resident Evil and Dino Crisis
Streets Of Rage, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Mega Man and Monster Hunter as well, taking part in the same world. Also, a crossover with Mahvel in form of the Marvel Vs Capcom movie

BELIEVE

Wow Capcom finally acknowledged Rebecca for once after 6 years. Hopefully they don't kill her off or else I'd be really pissed...

So happy Rebecca is returning

If Billy Coen makes a surprise appearance, it'll make this even better.

Yup! We need more Billy and (someone mentioned Carlos) Carlos in our lives. Also Capcom, can we get more of:

latest
?

Leon, Chris, and Rebecca.... Sounds good so far but where is my bae Jill? At least let my boy Leon get some strange in this movie Capcom.

He means the canon CGI movies, not the live-action ones. The live-action series will conclude next year with Alice, Wesker, Jill, Ada, Leon, and Claire starring in it. (Rumor has it Chris is not returning or is being recast)

Wentworth Miller as Chris was so bad.

And Sienna's fighting scenes were shit.

MetalSlug

I really like the CGI Resident Evil movies. Also good news that Chris Redfield (RE5 version hopefully) is going to be in the movie.

Top Bottom