• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil CG movie announced (2017 release)

Yes he is. Don't really care for any RE movies, CGI or live action, but am curious to hear what he comes up with for this movie.

latest
?

speaking of music, Outbreak has the best RE music.

For real.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Kenji Kawaii doing the music? Sign me up!

His works are some of the greatest in history

I'll always think of Ghost in the Shell Making of a Cyborg Reincarnation as his best composition ever, even if he does great work in general

Jawmuncher

Hopefully more Degeneration and less Damnation.

Hopefully more Damnation than Degeneration.

I found Degeneration to be pretty boring. About the only positive was that it had two main RE characters. While Damnation was just Leon and a dash of ada.

Manu

So they're finally giving in to pressure and Rebecca will appear back in the series.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh.

Kuraudo

Banned
Wonder if this will tie in to RE2make rather than RE7. A side story about Leon meeting Chris and Rebecca shortly after RE2 might explain the greater focus on zombies and horror.

Jawmuncher

Wonder if this will tie in to RE2make rather than RE7. A side story about Leon meeting Chris and Rebecca shortly after RE2 might explain the greater focus on zombies and horror.

Leon needs to chill with all the movies. I would like to see someone else get some screen time.

Kazuhira

Leon and rebecca together? yesssss.
Damnation was great,so i'm ready for more.
So,re7 is coming around 2017/18 right? Capcom's new trend is to release a movie before a new main game by the look of it.

Mupod

Aw yeah Rebecca. I was disappointed when she was initially said to be in the previous CG movie but didn't make it in for whatever reason.

Neff

Megaton. Reboot of the movie continuity.
? very weird

I dunno. I never got the impression that the movies (live action or CG) were canon anyway.

That said, if they're looking to establish this movie as canon going forward, the return of Rebecca is a huge deal, since timeline-wise we haven't seen her since RE1.

Based on that cast though, my guess is that it won't be a reboot at all and will be set between the first and second game, possibly promoting Rebecca's appearance in RE7, since she's the last major unused asset from the first game to get an encore during the last decade.

Seyavesh

actually is this a movie version or continuation of the stage play?
that's got chris and rebecca also

i guess that's more or less confirmation that she's gonna be in re7 to some degree

The stage is set in a western Australia university, where a bioterrorism incident occurs. A couple of anti-bioterrorism members from BSAA in Chris and Piers show up to investigate, and they’ll work with former S.T.A.R.S. member Rebecca, who is currently working as a professor at the university.
A mysterious young man named Tyler Howard also shows up, but no one knows anything about him; however what he also seems to know the shocking truth behind the incident.
With the rapidly spreading virus and zombies approaching, will they be able to solve the case on time?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I dunno. I never got the impression that the movies (live action or CG) were canon anyway.

That said, if they're looking to establish this movie as canon going forward, the return of Rebecca is a huge deal, since timeline-wise we haven't seen her since RE1.

Based on that cast though, my guess is that it won't be a reboot at all and will be set between the first and second game, possibly promoting Rebecca's appearance in RE7, since she's the last major unused asset from the first game to get an encore during the last decade.

Those CG movies are indeed canon. The first is included in the Resident Evil Archives book by Capcom Japan, and the second is canon by proxy.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So Piers is in the movie huh. So this happens before RE6.
Nah, that's BIOHAZARD THE STAGE a stageplay. It's canon, tho.

Also makes me wonder when this takes place, probably after RE6 and before RE7, if the past movies are any indication. That means Rebbeca is already a University professor...

Unless this is super high budget I think I would rather an anime movie.

Come to think of it, Resident Evil could be a great anime series.

The only thing keeping it from being an anime is the fact that it's not in 2D. Everything else about it is anime.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Wait, so this implies RE7 is coming in 2017, right? So they're probably gonna have RE2make done by 2016, just to have at least one game per year.

Neff

Those CG movies are indeed canon. The first is included in the Resident Evil Archives book by Capcom Japan, and the second is canon by proxy.

I'm sure you're right, I just don't remember the games themselves ever referencing anything from the movies outside of the Red Queen in Umbrella Chronicles (itself a reinterpretation of canon events).

Wait, so this implies RE7 is coming in 2017, right? So they're probably gonna have RE2make done by 2016, just to have at least one game per year.

Other way round I'd reckon.

Sadist

More Leon is never a bad thing.

Rebecca turning up is cool. Wonder how fans will bitch this time if she doesn't look 18 anymore lol

Seyavesh

re7's been in dev since around RE6's release while RE2make only just got the okay to even start goin' this year so RE7 is probably gonna come out first

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The CG movies were pretty good.

In fact, I would say Degeneration had a better story than some of the games.

Leon again, though? Overexposure much? I guess he's making up for being absent in so many pre-RE4 games. I hope he crashes a vehicle or two.

There's such a thing as too much Leon. I'd be hyped, but Capcom go all over the place with the franchise.

Hopefully more Degeneration and less Damnation.

So much this. Damnation was such a bore to watch. Hopefully Rebecca will be able to balance out the inevitable over the top action from Leon and Chris.

I'm sure you're right, I just don't remember the games themselves ever referencing anything from the movies outside of the Red Queen in Umbrella Chronicles (itself a reinterpretation of canon events).

TerraSave is a big thing in Degenerations

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The CG movies were pretty good.

In fact, I would say Degeneration had a better story than some of the games.

Leon again, though? Overexposure much? I guess he's making up for being absent in so many pre-RE4 games. I hope he crashes a vehicle or two.

Degeneration had an interesting down-story for a RE story, I think Degeneration could of made an interesting little Resident Evil game, but I think the problem was, for better or worse, it at times almost felt more like it was suited for a video game, and some of the pacing was kind of slow and some of the characters were missing... Well, themselves. Leon acts like a robot in that movie almost, some will be happy that he acts more serious in the film and I don't need him being a pun-master or anything, but he was kind of barren in the movie, and the middle section (between them escaping the airport and the climax of the movie) goes at a very slow pace. But I enjoyed it still, it had some nice scenes and the overall story was good for a RE story, and some fun zombie and
G-Virus
scenes, and I even liked the extra characters well enough, especially the senator and British man.

I did like Damnation more though, the overall story was weaker, but I found the characters to be more entertaining and full of personality, there were a lot more action-ish moments that were pretty well done, good dosage of some melodrama, another felt-like a RE story but a different sort of one, which I think used better camera technique, pacing, and characterization. Degeneration had the better story, and if Capcom announced one day they were going to make a RE game with Degeneration's story someday I would not complain at all (I know about the mobile game), and I like the film, but I do think Damnations cheesier writing, better pacing, and more fun action moments and character dynamics were enjoyable and made a good Resident Evil CG action flick with horror moments.

This one claims to be going more in a horror direction, so to be seen. I'd say the Resident Evil CG films are secretly the best video game movie adaptions. Stay true, and even are canon to the games, but are enjoyable and made for the fans really, and completely in-spirit with the games. And manage to have better/more entertaining stories than the games so that they feel like they're not just a game in film form, at least enough to be fun watches.

duckroll

Don't worry even though they want to reemphasize the horror roots of RE in this film, they're still promising the dynamic action set pieces the franchise is known for now (both in the games and the films!) lol. If I had to guess, I would say that the horror stuff is likely going to influence the atmosphere and tone of the setting here. The key visual they provided with the press release is that of a mansion, so it might be a more contained scenario rather than a wide open outbreak.

My feeling is that while Degeneration and Damnation felt like extended RE game cutscenes, what they're attempting here is going to be something that feels more like a proper feature film. For better or for worse.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The Red Queen is from the live action movies, not the CG ones.

cvxfreak

I wouldn't say Chris was minor in Rev at all. The game was centered around Jill and Chris and although Chris didn't get as much playtime, he definitely wasn't a minor. Raymond, Jessica (to an extent) and Quint were minor, and I wouldn't put Chris in the same boat as them.

A debatable point. I don't think Chris did anything memorable in the game. Meanwhile, Jill definitely did quite a bit. Revelations seemed like an apology from Capcom for underserving her in RE5.

Jill was not major in RE5. I guess you could argue she became a major character with the inclusion of her DLC chapters but at launch she sure as hell wasn't major. She literally only talked in 3 scenes (excluding a phrase or two as the 'Birdlady')

RE:UC brought 4 new canon chapters, Jill/Chris' "Umbrella's End", Rebecca's "Nightmare", Ada's "Death's Door" and Wesker's "Beginning's"/"Rebirth"/"Dark Legacy". If you're going to count Ada's as minor, then Rebecca, Jill and Chris' roles should be minor in UC, too.

I don't see much consistency in saying Ada is a major character in UC, but then Jill wasn't in RE5. Not only are Rebecca, Jill and Chris' canon portions much longer than Ada's, but as a game overall, not just taking into account the plot, they each star in chapters based on previous games. Would you argue Hunk was a major character in RE2? That's what Ada's game felt like to me.

Manu

TerraSave
Tricell
The radio in Revelations 2 talking about the conflict in Eastern Slav Republic

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ok I'm really confused reading this thread.

Who exactly is appearing in this movie?

Leon, Chris, and Rebecca are the confirmed characters. We don't know anything else about the story, but a key piece of art does show a mansion in a mountainscape.

Top Bottom