• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Info (Claire, Barry's Daughter, 1080p/60FPS, co-op)

Seyavesh

I disagree. RE5 also have a nice soundtrack with many memorable pieces. The soundtrack is different, though - more epic, action-y, orchestral unlike atmospheric background songs in the old games.

the orchestral version of winds of madness is the best resident evil song YEAH WHAT

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I try not to let genre and series expectations color my perspective on a game too much. I would have been harsh on great games like Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter if that were the case.

I think people are going to be disappointed by RER2 picking up the "classic RE" torch if it is anything at all like the first game.

I'll chime in and say that RE6 was a fun game, especially in co-op.

Mechanics-wise, the game was amazing. The problem is that the level-design can be absolute trash at times. That and the shitty QTEs bring down the experience.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the main series continuing in that direction. Just for the love of God polish the level-design next time.

Riposte

I agree. In terms of pure gameplay, Resident Evil 6 is probably one of the best Third Person Shooters since Vanquish (hell it's a lot like a slower Vanquish in that there's an emphasis on mobility and playing the game not like a typical TPS). The problem with that is that these mechanics are in a game that's supposed to scare you.

The game is suppose to engage you. Being scared is just one means to achieve that among many, and there's very little to say that it is better than an engaging combat scenario with intricate mechanics and visual flair.

The whole idea that a game needs to be something because of what it says on the box, the brand, is very decadent. A game only needs to be interesting and engaging, this is why humans invented videogames/art, so the words, even the most important set of words on that box (or the title screen), are extremely unimportant compared to the mechanics and aesthetics of the game itself because how little they contribute to that experience. This fetishization of brands comes from consuming/buying/playing too much videogames (if not absorbing too much of the culture/marketing), which is something I fully support if you don't let it twist what is the first and main appeal of them. It's not a mistake a free-spirited child would make, but it's one common for adults who are childish in the bad ways.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/17/178000/2426951-jill_chris___mission_end_by_blw7920_d4hserg.jpg[IMG]

Great team.[/QUOTE]

Disgusting.

[quote="Mr_Zombie, post: 128824952"]I disagree. RE5 also have a nice soundtrack with many memorable pieces. The soundtrack is different, though - more epic, action-y, orchestral unlike atmospheric background songs in the old games.[/QUOTE]

RE5 has, at the very least, the best boss soundtracks in the series. RE6 has a pretty good soundtrack too, what they do with instrumentation is cool (I could see how the main theme could get tired after awhile, but I like it).

velociraptor

I'll chime in and say that RE6 was a fun game, especially in co-op.

Mechanics-wise, the game was amazing. The problem is that the level-design can be absolute trash at times. That and the shitty QTEs bring down the experience.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the main series continuing in that direction. Just for the love of God polish the level-design next time.

RE6 Mercs was hot shit.

I just can't go back to old RE games anymore. They just feel so outdated in terms of gameplay and mechanics.

Controlling the characters is akin to manoeuvring a tank through treacle.

Mr_Zombie

Hopefully the Revelations series can fill the void left by Resident Evil 6 becoming entirely a TPS.

But RE games were entirely third person shooters with horror themes ever since RE4. The only difference was the evolution in controls: RE5 added strafing, more options to use covers (it was already present in RE4, but used in just few places) and more variations of melee attacks. RE6 just made your character even more flexible by giving them ability to walk and shoot (something that was already present in Outbreak File#2 and Revelations), duck, dodge and evolved melee attacks even more.

The game didn't change genres. It just get rid of the restrictive tank controls from the previous game by giving you more options.

the orchestral version of winds of madness is the best resident evil song YEAH WHAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jEKf7Gcr7c <3

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't really remember any of RE6's music. RE5's felt really inventive to me. I even remember RE4's, but only because I have played it 400 times.

Mr_Zombie

I can't really remember any of RE6's music. RE5's felt really inventive to me. I even remember RE4's, but only because I have played it 400 times.

That's my main issue with RE6 OST. Apart from main theme and Mercs theme, I don't remember any song from the soundtrack. I know it's good (meaning: it fits what's happening on the screen), but unlike previous OSTs, it's not really memorable.

I'm kinda worried about Moira as a character, I don't remember liking any of the characters introduced lately, outside of the main cast they seem to be no new character appealing to me.

Ithil

Rebecca is awful.

zvdhvidjdj.gif

Alienous

also the most memorable song of RE6 is somehow this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXIvtVYGG7c

i guess there's a trend of having some kinda really corny song as the credits theme in RE but man this takes it to the next level

I seem to remember playing through all of Resident Evil 6, and I honestly can't recall that cheesy music ever popping up.

I probably blocked it out.

I think people are going to be disappointed by RER2 picking up the "classic RE" torch if it is anything at all like the first game.

If only for the ammunition scarcity, Revelations felt a lot more like a Resident Evil game than RE6 did. That level of trepidation, not knowing if you have enough bullets and deciding to run instead, was completely absent from RE6.

News Bot

Banned
Pretty sure Wesker said he's not and that he has the virus.

Steve is dead. Always was and always will be. Wesker's comment was a cruel joke to Claire. The only virus in the series at the time that could revive the dead was the G-Virus, and injecting it into a corpse only creates a Zombie.

We don't see her anymore because Nemesis killed Rebecca. Granted this is fan theory & not confirmed but there's still some spoiler details here.

1. Her complete lack of presence, even off-screen mentions, post-RE2.

2. How Brad Vickers actually knew Nemesis deliberately targeted STARS members instead of just thinking he had the bad luck of being spotted by it. Granted it muttering the word stars every so often is probably a give away but it could also very well be that Brad witnessed Nemesis offing another STARS members. There's only 1 possible member that would've been in that case.

3. Every surviving character by the end of RE3 had an unlockable epilogue in RE3, except for Carlos & Rebecca (& Tofu). Carlos could've been seen as unnecessary, as we see him escape Raccoon City in the very same game & he has no more part to play in the grand scheme. The lack of a Rebecca epilogue doesn't really have an explanation. The best I can conceive is because she isn't a surviving character.

4. If she were to have survived, then where was she? She wasn't with Chris & Barry investigating Umbrella overseas & wasn't with Jill.

1) Rebecca was meant to be featured in the prologue artwork of BIO3.

2) Brad knew Nemesis-T targeted S.T.A.R.S. because it says it and specifically pursued Brad for a long time.

3) Rebecca and Carlos did not have epilogues because the writer was not allowed to give them one. BIO0 was in development at the same time as BIO3 and it was expected that FLAGSHIP would reveal what happened to Rebecca during and after the events of Raccoon City. However, they ended up making a strict prequel. Meanwhile, Carlos (and Nikolai) was written initially as a side-story character and it was stipulated that he would never appear in a main series game again. That's why those two have only appeared in side-games since. Though his writer did give us a possible explanation for what happened to Carlos: he escaped the U.S. via Mexico and probably got plastic surgery to change his face again.

4) Left town to live with relatives. Joined one of the many chemical companies that scouted her pre-S.T.A.R.S. There are many possible explanations. We just haven't been given one yet.

Your fan theories mean absolutely nothing because Capcom has already said she is alive. They were even planning to work her into the last CGI Film, Damnation, during one of the earlier scripts.

She wasn't. They said they would like to feature her in a movie, but she wasn't actually planned.

Yeah, RE6's OST was kinda forgettable. The tracks that stand out are fantastic though, the Mercenaries theme, that song that plays when Leon tries to wake Ada up and Jake's final boss theme were all fantastic.

Vamphuntr

Pretty cool that the two leads are female and in a relatively big game from a huge series. It will be quite the change from steroids Chris and boring Leon.

Only on GAF can you see 15 pages of whining for a character model. Her model looks fine. She's supposed to be close to 30 and she's been abducted so don't expect her to look like a princess.

Hopefully Alyson Court will voice her again. I think she's the only character in the series to have the same VA in all of the games.

Pretty cool that the two leads are female and in a relatively big game from a huge series. It will be quite the change from steroids Chris and boring Leon.

Only on GAF can you see 15 pages of whining for a character model. Her model looks fine. She's supposed to be close to 30 and she's been abducted so don't expect her to look like a princess.

Hopefully Alyson Court will voice her again. I think she's the only character in the series to have the same VA in all of the games.

XZJSgPg.gif

Christopher

That fan theory is shit your telling me Capcom wouldnt take the chance to kill Rebecca on screen? She was in two of the main games she's not gonna die off scree.

this sounds kind of neat

couldn't get into the first revalaitions because playing what was clearly a handheld game on a pc was weirdly dissonant

it makes sense though, the original cast is only getting older in the timeline so they are probably trying to introduce some younger characters they can use as protagonists in future titles.

Yeah, I just wish they were new characters, rather than contriving reasons for all new characters to be related to previous characters in some way. Oh well, it's not like the story is going to be good anyway.

Hey. I loved RE5. However I don't think we need anymore games like that. The sense of isolation should be more prominent in these games. REvelations was also amazing, but I think sometimes you either had Parker or someone else tagging around, but it worked because when you actually were alone, you felt truly alone because your buddy who was helping is gone and now its just up to you. So it depends on how they do it. Also Parker should have been the main character for this series. Fuck this shit.

Jawmuncher

I don't understand how characters aging means we should get a reboot.? RE is easily the oldest story currently going on in gaming with the same characters. We hardly see anything like that.

RockStar101

Neo Member
Steve is dead. Always was and always will be. Wesker's comment was a cruel joke to Claire. The only virus in the series at the time that could revive the dead was the G-Virus, and injecting it into a corpse only creates a Zombie.

1) Rebecca was meant to be featured in the prologue artwork of BIO3.

2) Brad knew Nemesis-T targeted S.T.A.R.S. because it says it and specifically pursued Brad for a long time.

3) Rebecca and Carlos did not have epilogues because the writer was not allowed to give them one. BIO0 was in development at the same time as BIO3 and it was expected that FLAGSHIP would reveal what happened to Rebecca during and after the events of Raccoon City. However, they ended up making a strict prequel. Meanwhile, Carlos (and Nikolai) was written initially as a side-story character and it was stipulated that he would never appear in a main series game again. That's why those two have only appeared in side-games since. Though his writer did give us a possible explanation for what happened to Carlos: he escaped the U.S. via Mexico and probably got plastic surgery to change his face again.

4) Left town to live with relatives. Joined one of the many chemical companies that scouted her pre-S.T.A.R.S. There are many possible explanations. We just haven't been given one yet.

She wasn't. They said they would like to feature her in a movie, but she wasn't actually planned.
No FLAGSHIP, why did you screw us Rebecca fans this way?

Maybe I got this wrong, but I read around that you said Umbrella was actually interested in her at some point? If so, I wonder why she didn't go work there (especially considering no one knew they were corrupted at the time and honestly it would have been a better fit than STARS). Btw,who were the other chemical companies that scouted her? You have pique my interest.

RockStar101

Neo Member
Um....I'm the one that made that up so that kinda is an attack on me. It's just a theory to explain away a loose end of the narrative, I don't "hate" the character, what's even there to hate? In fact it's basically the opposite, an explanation born out of being unsatisfied & confused with her jarring absence.

If they want to like just have her appear out of the blue as a BSAA medic, giving a couples of lines about what she's been up to, that'd be fine with me but that's not what we get. My brain is compelled to provide it's own answers to unanswered questions so this was what I concluded based on the information available. That's all.

Well, this isn't the first time I heard this "explanation" on the internet so I apologize for assuming you heard it before and was just reiterating it here. But my opinion on the matter still hasn't changed.

News Bot

Banned
No FLAGSHIP, why did you screw us Rebecca fans this way?

Maybe I got this wrong, but I read around that you said Umbrella was actually interested in her at some point? If so, I wonder why she didn't go work there (especially considering no one knew they were corrupted at the time and honestly it would have been a better fit than STARS). Btw,who were the other chemical companies that scouted her? You have pique my interest.

Umbrella was one of the chemical companies that scouted her, yeah. The other companies are unknown. Rebecca simply wanted a career in law enforcement rather than chemical engineering. The information comes from the CAPCOM Fan Club "BIOHAZARD MEMOIRS" segment.

REBECCA CHAMBERS
The rookie of B-Team. An eccentric whose talents were appreciated by chemical companies that scouted her one after another (including Umbrella), but she declined all of them and joined STARS. (Left is Rebecca in her school days.) On holidays she goes to see basketball games with friends.

RockStar101

Neo Member
Umbrella was one of the chemical companies that scouted her, yeah. The other companies are unknown. Rebecca simply wanted a career in law enforcement rather than chemical engineering. The information comes from the CAPCOM Fan Club "BIOHAZARD MEMOIRS" segment.

Wow that's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe after the Mansion Incident she realized that law enforcement wasn't her best option and like you said, decided to go back to one of those companies and has been with them since. At least that's what I would write if I was given the chance.

REBECCA CHAMBERS
The rookie of B-Team. An eccentric whose talents were appreciated by chemical companies that scouted her one after another (including Umbrella), but she declined all of them and joined STARS. (Left is Rebecca in her school days.) On holidays she goes to see basketball games with friends.

Is there a picture that should go with this because I notice it says, Left is Rebecca in her school days.

The basketball thing isn't too surprising if that RE2 picture of her is anything to go by.

Seyavesh

Was good but Rev has the best tracks.

out of all the modern games rev has the strongest overall soundtrack for sure. grabbing random pieces you'll pretty much always get some good stuff

like i just got these 3 in a row random shuffling a playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXwMdHf4-rc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqIk8vnVNb8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8745rDPWY

edit:
you know what i really want to return though, music wise? RE4 style character themes for the extra modes. those were super sick. i really wonder why they didn't bring those back for re5 or 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkEtLnMai6E
everyone always links the hunk theme or the wesker theme so here's a twist

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MTFramework mobile assets.

Wait wait wait...they are using MT framework mobile on a console game!?

Why would they not use the console version of MT 2.0 if 3DS is not apart of the development process!?

Oh boy, using a mobile engine for consoles, especially next gen consoles...no wonder the visuals look like that

News Bot

Banned
Wow that's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe after the Mansion Incident she realized that law enforcement wasn't her best option and like you said, decided to go back to one of those companies and has been with them since. At least that's what I would write if I was given the chance.

REBECCA CHAMBERS

Is there a picture that should go with this because I notice it says, Left is Rebecca in her school days.

The basketball thing isn't too surprising if that RE2 picture of her is anything to go by.

The picture is this:

82heKfd.jpg

Sectus

Why would they not use the console version of MT 2.0 if 3DS is not apart of the development process!?

Oh boy, using a mobile engine for consoles, especially next gen consoles...no wonder the visuals look like that

They haven't stated which engine it is. I think it can't be anything but MT Framework though. There's no way it's MT Framework Mobile.

Xpliskin

That was just a drive-by comment.

Although now that it is mentioned ... something struck me as odd.

If anything, this doesn't seem to be using Panta Rhei's new renderer.
This looks more Resident Evil 6 than Deep Down:
-the polygon budget for everything is tailored for last-gen
-same goes for the overal texture quality, especially the environment ones(these are last-gen texture resolutions)
-no soft shadows (flashlight, chair)
-no expensive shaders for blood (it's just texturing work)
-skin shader: Ada/Chris's face look as good (better?)as this in RE6. Now compare that to Deep Down enemy's tentacles/flesh.

The only thing that seems to have been significantly upgraded are the hair&cloth.

Unless Panta Rhei is *that* scalable. This seems to be running on MTF 2.x .
This would mean that MTF can also run PS4/X1
Of course, this is just speculation until we get our hands on a demo/confirmation.

I have been meaning to get around to Resident Evil: Revelations for a long time now, and reading the details for Revelations 2 makes me want to finally go out and buy it.

Lernaean

Banned
That was just a drive-by comment.

Although now that it is mentioned ... something struck me as odd.

If anything, this doesn't seem to be using Panta Rhei's new renderer.
This looks more Resident Evil 6 than Deep Down:
-the polygon budget for everything is tailored for last-gen
-same goes for the overal texture quality, especially the environment ones(these are last-gen texture resolutions)
-no soft shadows (flashlight, chair)
-no expensive shaders for blood (it's just texturing work)
-skin shader: Ada/Chris's face look as good (better?)as this in RE6. Now compare that to Deep Down enemy's tentacles/flesh.

The only thing that seems to have been significantly upgraded are the hair&cloth.

Unless Panta Rhei is *that* scalable. This seems to be running on MTF 2.x .
This would mean that MTF can also run PS4/X1
Of course, this is just speculation until we get our hands on a demo/confirmation.

I'll agree to all of this.
It's definitelly not Panta Rhei, but it's not the Mobile engine either.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I agree with you but personally this Chris was there for one game and was gone, now he is old and probably won't be going on for too long.
Chris was in like, half of the games in the series.

RE/REmake
Mentioned in RE2/In Mercenaries mode
Code Veronica
RE5
RE6
Revelations

Chris was in like, half of the games in the series.

RE/REmake
Mentioned in RE2/In Mercenaries mode
Code Veronica
RE5
RE6
Revelations
Maybe I wasn't really specific, I mean the RE5 Chris, I liked Chris from the start, but it was in RE5 when he became my favorite (when he hulked up lol), It was pretty cool to play as him in Code Veronica X, but in RE6 he went down hell, and to be honest he wasn't as appealing, I'm yet to play Revelations.

Top Bottom