• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome story trailer [new footage]

Doffen

Yes

ECx.png

You perv.

I'm pretty sure the dates in the game don't align with real history.

They've said they're paying close attention to history, and it's a pretty big historical fact. I'm pretty sure there's something in history to support the story, I'm just genuinely curious what it is. Like I said, I love history.

cant believe gamespot removed the download option too. Some caps:

These are really terrible quality shots. Everything looks so low res it is not even funny. Cryteks artstyle and materials suck ass. Lighting is nice, even good, sometimes. Enviromental detail is super. Next gen is gonna be definition of diminishing returns apart from lighting and enviro detail. This game has terrible skinshaders. yack.

Edit2: The helmet on gif looks terrible.

Edit3:
wy yu LOLing? He was sirus. pls.

I am more of serial than sirius guy. IQ is nice too. Seems to be at expence of resolution of everything. Waitinf for good quality pics still to judge IQ.

derFeef

These are really terrible quality shots. Everything looks so low res it is not even funny. Cryteks artstyle and materials suck ass. Lighting is nice, even good, sometimes. Enviromental detail is super. Next gen is gonna be definition of diminishing returns apart from lighting and enviro detail. This game has terrible skinshaders. yack.
I can't tell anymore, you guys make it really hard.

You have to be kidding. It is quite obvious that their material definitions are EXTREMELY good looking.

Most tech artists would probably say that... but whatever. Also, you have an incredible post history which makes you look like a balanced poster. I am shocked at how nuanced your argumentation is.

Well luckily you'll be playing DriveClub when this launches, so you won't have to concern yourself with the "low res textures".

Oh wait.

shinnn

Ahh. The awefully looking gif was from this trailer. Is there good pics to see are the graphix really that bad?

This guy surviving with those 3 pages of post history just confirm two things for me:

1 - xbox fans dont give a shit to report those posters (I dont waste my time doing mods "jobs" too)
2 - mods are indeed not frequent in xbox threads.

how the fuck this shit passed moderation?

Pug

This guy surviving with those 3 pages of post history just confirm two things for me:

1 - xbox fans dont give a shit to report those posters (I dont waste my time doing mods "jobs" too)

Just ignore them, the only reason they are in this thread is becasue Ryse does look stunning.

Doffen

Don't go down that path.

I agree with you, X1 needs it's own mod

You have to be kidding. It is quite obvious that their material definitions are EXTREMELY good looking.

Most tech artists would probably say that... but whatever. Also, you have an incredible post history which makes you look like a balanced poster. I am shocked at how nuanced your argumentation is.

It is hard to tell fron bad iq shots (can not watch video now(edit1: well i watched but it was pointless as it was lowest of res youtube gives) as I have no access to good internet.) Better to judge at uni. MC:s skin looks terrible. armor apart of helmet look mediogre quality. It could be their terrible art thou. It is like their trademark (altough crysis did not have this problem). Some shots look like current gen, but it is uderstandable as shots were really bad iq wise and current gen can pour out some crazy looking visuals. Especially characters and interiors.

edit2: ahh that one post. It was in jest but not sportiest kind agreed. Early ban would have been something.

derFeef

It is hard to tell fron bad iq shots (can not watch video now(edit1: well i watched but it was pointless as it was lowest of res youtube gives) as I have no access to good internet.) Better to judge at uni. MC:s skin looks terrible. armor apart of helmet look mediogre quality. It could be their terrible art thou. It is like their trademark (altough crysis did not have this problem). Some shots look like current gen, but it is uderstandable as shots were really bad iq wise and current gen can pour out some crazy looking visuals. Especially characters and interiors.

Reading soon on twitter @NeoGAFShitPosts ?

Hindle

Banned
I always knew there was more to this game then the mediocre footage that was shown at E3. For a launch title I think it will be ok. Let's just hope the game does well so we can get a sequel.

Nibel

Edit3:

I am more of serial than sirius guy. IQ is nice too. Seems to be at expence of resolution of everything. Waitinf for good quality pics still to judge IQ.

Most delusional comment in a long time

Pug

Gamers shouldn't have to. This forum is meant to be neutral. I expect the same moderation in xbox threads as I do in PS threads.

There's no doubts that many an Xbox one thread ends up in a complete and utter shambles, as for the moderation well I'd rather not get into that as it's a quite a subjective area.

Gamers shouldn't have to. This forum is meant to be neutral. I expect the same moderation in xbox threads as I do in PS threads.

Exactly, he's just baiting, and succeeding, if it's not allowed on one said of the fence, it shouldn't be allowed on the other. I don't think I ever remember any X1 fans doing into Killzone, DriveClub threads and attacking it so harshly over any little detail they could find, its almost if Ryse is some form of personal insult to a very small, but very vocal minority of PS4 fans.

It is hard to tell fron bad iq shots (can not watch video now as I have no access to good internet.) Better to judge at uni. MC:s skin looks terrible. armor apart of helmet look mediogre quality. It could be their terrible art thou. It is like their trademark (altough crysis did not have this problem). Some shots look like current gen, but it is uderstandable as shots were really bad iq wise and current gen can pour out some crazy looking visuals. Especially characters and interiors.

Can you point to another game (in production or released) with apparently comparatively better looking material definitions?

I am not seeing anything that looks so much better out there, and I am a huge gfx nut (the Order is the only other game I have seen where their material defitions have wowed me).

I mean.. really what looks so wholly unrealistic about these materials (skin, metal, leather) in comparison to other games? (this is comping from a PC only engine nut btw)
ib0T4OJnbHBO6m.gif

Hindle

Banned
It's pretty shocking that open trolling is allowed these days. Everyone has thier preferences, even the mods, but to let blatant derailing of threads continue, and to not do anything about it?

Personally I'd like dedicated threads for each of the consoles. This way, geniuene fans of games can talk without constant trolling that's everywhere these days.

Exactly, he's just baiting, and succeeding, if it's not allowed on one said of the fence, it shouldn't be allowed on the other. I don't think I ever remember any X1 fans doing into Killzone, DriveClub threads and attacking it so harshly over any little detail they could find, its almost if Ryse is some form of personal insult to a very small, but very vocal minority of PS4 fans.

It is pretty obvious there are people downplaying on both sides. Frankly, since the Xbone has had far more negative news in general I just think the hardcore fans have had to tread lighter, while the some of PS4 camp have been a little more obnoxious.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
To be fair the activity level on gaf in general has been really high lately. Juniors seem to be popping up everywhere now.

But yeah, for someone who was going to get an xbox one it has been pretty ugly. Lot of threads derailed by pointlessness, subtle driveby trolls, the word "persecution complex" getting thrown around everywhere. Launch is a shitty time to be a genuine gamer when you see how petty and childish most of the people can get.

It's pretty shocking that open trolling is allowed these days. Everyone has thier preferences, even the mods, but to let blatant derailing of threads continue, and to not do anything about it?

Personally I'd like dedicated threads for each of the consoles. This way, geniuene fans of games can talk without constant trolling that's everywhere these days.

I wouldn't say they are letting it happen, they just miss a lot of this kind of stuff. That's were community moderation comes into play. Report the post and move on, if the mods deem it baiting/trolling, they'll take appropriate action.

Yeah, it's a bit rich for me to say as I don't do it personally, but it's probably time to change that.

Pug

It is pretty obvious there are people downplaying on both sides. Frankly, since the Xbone has had far more negative news in general I just think the hardcore fans have had to tread lighter, while the some of PS4 camp have been a little more obnoxious.

A little!

KKRT00

its almost if Ryse is some form of personal insult to a very small, but very vocal minority of PS4 fans.

And i dunno why. PS4 is stronger console, Ryse would look better on it, but as i said few times in a past, the theoretical 40-50% GPU difference wont make up for engine advancements. Making some algorithms running 3-4 times faster can mitigate hardware difference, thats just reality of software development, it wont matter tough in multiplatform titles, because they will be on the same engine and using the same code.

===
Can you point to another game (in production or released) with apparently comparatively better looking material definitions?

I am not seeing anything that looks so much better out there, and I am a huge gfx nut (the Order is the only other game I have seen where their material defitions have wowed me).

I mean.. really what looks so wholly unrealistic about these materials (skin, metal, leather) in comparison to other games? (this is comping from a PC only engine nut btw)
ib0T4OJnbHBO6m.gif

What i love about this is GIF is sun reflection from helmet, reflecting on the shoulder. Looks just great.
And thats actually could be thanks to glossy reflection, not SSR judging by an angle.

Also, subtle movement of the hair strains on the helmet.

ib0T4OJnbHBO6m.gif

That gif looks way better than pics or helmet on gif... But i would not judge anything from such a small gif. Problem is mainly with skin (well mc:s skin) and plates. Something looks way off. And on helmet on gif, armour and skin looked bad. Even driveclub looks nice on gifs. Eviros looks best even on that gif. And based on that gif second soldier looks way better than mc. Maybe closeups are the problem. But as said IQ is so bad in pics that I quoted I would wait and see before judgement.

Edit1: Is it my laptop that tears that gif? It seems to have screentear. Did not notice before really admiring enviros.

That gif looks way better than pics or helmet on gif... But i would not judge anything from such a small gif. Problem is mainly with skin (well mc:s skin) and plates. Something looks way off. And on helmet on gif, armour and skin looked bad. Even driveclub looks nice on gifs. Eviros looks best even on that gif. And based on that gif second soldier looks way better than mc. Maybe closeups are the problem. But as said IQ is so bad in pics that I quoted I would wait and see before judgement.

Edit1: Is it my laptop that tears that gif? It seems to have screentear. Did not notice before really admiring enviros.

Here is a larger version: (with reduced FPS)
ibbf3lUvBrzCWD.gif

I am not seeing any screen tear... One thing that I noticed and the reason why I find the materials to be great is due to the bounce light reflection in the shadows from the ground on his face and his helmet, the SSR reflection of his head on his armor as the camera turns, and the general nature of the materials themselves. Having a really hard time agreeing with you when you say "Something looks way off." I think you would find trouble having people agree with you there... I think it looks quite good from a material point of view.

And i dunno why. PS4 is stronger console, Ryse would look better on it, but as i said few times in a past, the theoretical 40-50% GPU difference wont make up for engine advancements. Making some algorithms running 3-4 times faster can mitigate hardware difference, thats just reality of software development, it wont matter tough in multiplatform titles, because they will be on the same engine and using same code.

===

What i love about this is GIF is sun reflection from helmet, reflecting on the shoulder. Looks just great.
And thats actually could be thanks to glossy reflection, not SSR judging by an angle.

Also, subtle movement of the hair strains on the helmet.

Easy, that's purely hypothetical. I think if it was that simple, we'd have a game on the PS4 that's as good looking as Ryse, which in my opinion, we don't have yet, although Killzone runs it very close. Your point is valid though, for those who chase the numbers, logically, the better a game looks on the Xbox One, the better PS4 games can look, as it's theoretically it's a more powerful box. Personally I'm more of a proof is in the pudding kind of guy, because marginal statistics can't equate for art style, developer skill, and like you say, code optimisation.

Arondight

Have to admit, looks good. Seems a bit too much QTE though and some of the visuals seem a a bit off. Also hope that large scale with multiple A.I's happen a lot and its not just a cinematic.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Infamous Second Son says Hello

Exactly what does Infamous have to do with this game and last time I checked it isn't a launch title.

Here is a larger version: (with reduced FPS)
ibbf3lUvBrzCWD.gif

I am not seeing any screen tear... One thing that I noticed and the reason why I find the materials to be great is due to the bounce light reflection in the shadows from the ground on his face and his helmet, the SSR reflection of his head on his armor as the camera turns, and the general nature of the materials themselves. Having a really hard time agreeing with you when you say "Something looks way off." I think you would find trouble having people agree with you there... I think it looks quite good from a material point of view.

Just to be clear when I made these GIFs I used screen recording software and recorded the direct Gamespot feed at 968x542 and down sized them to 750x421 in gif form.

This means any slow downs in these GIFs are entirely the fault of my computer recording the video and not the video.

ib0T4OJnbHBO6m.gif

Wrinkles on the nasal passage?!

Next gen is truly here.

Hmm

When Phil showed me this trailer a few weeks ago, I was telling him this better be the real thing. I was told directly this was taken from XBO builds, with the exception of unlocking the camera for the battle scenes to make it more dramatic.

Could this be one of the scenes Albert was talking about?
http://youtu.be/-dEbrdfXfCc?t=1m43s

That's Marius on the ballista. If it is then I guess that's visual confirmation that the models are the same based on the facial animation on Vitallion.

Top Bottom