• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome story trailer [new footage]

ironcreed

Banned
I have to say it again. The combat does not look anywhere near as bad as previously thought. As a fan of hack n' slash games in general, this actually looks pretty damn snazzy:

i0xZmlQx0rMS5.gif

iqlztI5TeBisM.gif

Yeah, that was an old multiplayer build and possibly pre-up-clock. I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the jaggies everywhere have to do with poorly calibrated televisions. Of course I'm prepared for the worst considering the game is launch title, but post-processing forms of AA are very cheap and should suffice for those playing at a normal television distance.

Albert P said earlier in this thread that this video was from the post upclock build, which not even Microsoft have got access to at the moment. According to him, the version of the games touring with Microsoft at the moment are all preclock, so that would explain why it looks so much better here. Crytek have also said that they use 900p and apply some form of fancy AA when upscaling to 1080p, so maybe it's just a good system they have.

I have to say it again. The combat does not look anywhere near as bad as previously thought. As a fan of hack n' slash games in general, this actually looks pretty damn snazzy:

http://i.minus.com/i0xZmlQx0rMS5.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iqlztI5TeBisM.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Yea, I'm actually feeling the combat now. The initial E3 demo looked atrocious with a slowdown every two seconds, but seeing the flow of the combat now, involving a lot of blocking and parrying is refreshing.

shandy706

iqlztI5TeBisM.gif

Stop it...you're not allowed to steal the Gameplay comments from those that need it. It's the go to in Ryse threads after saying the graphics look nice.

This shot makes it obvious that everything slows down now...not just the target and your character.

Eoin

Wow, what an improvement in skin shader and lighting.

Also screen could be native from Xbone. Look blurry which would explain upscaling, but that AA is outstanding, which makes cautious to call it direct feed.

Even though the models are the same between gameplay and cutscenes, extra AA may be applied during the later.

ironcreed

Banned
I can't believe I'm saying this after all we have been through with the Microsoft drama, but part of me is actually wanting to buy an Xbox One first. It simply has more early exclusives that I am interested in, but I'll still probably get a PS4 first because of the price.

KKRT00

Even though the models are the same between gameplay and cutscenes, extra AA may be applied during the later.

Its possible, although it wasnt the case with Crysis 2 or 3.
DoF helps a lot too.

===
I've put those shots on my TV - OMFG

pr0cs

This second gif actually disappoints me slightly as there's no decapitation, it seems strange when you can hack off arms and legs.

but he doesn't swing for a decapitation, a slash moving up from the torso.
I'm very sure there are decapitation finishes in the final game.

Man, I hope the game looks like those 1080p shots, fabulous.

ironcreed

Banned
This second gif actually disappoints me slightly as there's no decapitation, it seems strange when you can hack off arms and legs.

It kind of looks like a slash across the upper back. Either way, it still looks plenty badass to me and decapitations are still probably in anyway. But even if they are not, it's far from being a deal breaker. The game looks plain amazing.

Every graphics thread will devolve into posting killzone jifs :p

Is it crazy to say this game looks better than Killzone?

Environments look much much more detailed than the e3 version, just look at the ground. Look at the feathers on the helmet how it's transparent.

ibsPrbCdNTTW8j.png

And this shot, man.... Where is the visible polycount decrease guys... you know, the downgrade?? All i see is added geometry in the new version...strange.

i6bIl6rugRnpQ.jpg

iUNi68nr9Pst8.jpg

It kind of looks like a slash across the upper back. Either way, it still looks plenty badass to me and decapitations are still probably in anyway. But even if they are not, it's far from being a deal breaker. The game looks plain amazing.

Yeh, I was nitpicking really, but as the others have said, apparently they are in the game, and after looking at the gif again, I think I agree with you in regards to the swords trajectory.

shandy706

Not crazy at all. Killzone is plenty impressive too of course.

Crytek specialize in graphics too though. I'm pretty sure the forest/nature scenes in Ryse are going to be mind boggling. I'm sure they'll be the most impressive on the tree/foilage/grass/nature side. Their material textures are insane too.

The difference between the skin and the dead look in Marius' (sp?) eyes in the before and after is amazing. The second image feels alive.

Pug

Ryse looks great and you can only play it on Xbox One. I'm sure Killzone will also look great and that can only be played on the PS4. I know everyone loves the comparison game but comparing these two games is utterly meaningless.

Nokterian

Really? I think it adds to the effect. Kind of like a 300 scene:

300battle.gif

Well yeah that works because it's a movie and that's around 2,5 hours. And for Batman slow mo is only when you defeat the last enemy so that is not even worse. Here it is slo mo all the damn time and that sucks even more.

Environments look much much more detailed than the e3 version, just look at the ground. Look at the feathers on the helmet how it's transparent.

And this shot, man.... Where is the visible polycount decrease guys... you know, the downgrade?? All i see is added geometry in the new version...strange.

Looks are subjective i mean if i had to choose between scifi shooter or roman era setting i would go with roman setting era unless its halo. But im a halo fanboy....

But im not knowledgeable enough to do an objective analyses what game offers what in graphics tech. Both games look awesome and if Killzone:SF and Ryse quality assets is what we can expect in gaming next year or 2015 then hell we all win :p

T.O.P

Banned

ibsPrbCdNTTW8j.png

i6bIl6rugRnpQ.jpg

iUNi68nr9Pst8.jpg

that before-after comparison is insane

ironcreed

Banned
Well yeah that works because it's a movie and that's around 2,5 hours. And for Batman slow mo is only when you defeat the last enemy so that is not even worse. Here it is slo mo all the damn time and that sucks even more.

Suit yourself, man. I'm loving what I see here. *shrugs* This new footage is strong enough to shift my gears entirely and make me want an Xbox One first. And I have been one of the more vocal members here hating on Microsoft. But hey, I just want great games.

paparazzo

Graphics look incredible and overall I think this is the best looking next-gen launch game. However, I'm still unconvinced by the gameplay. It's a graphical showpiece to be sure, but the gameplay just looks so dull.

Crytek producer

@Mooch1978 @albertpenello There is a mix in there. All of which is using the CRYENGINE. We have some more pure gameplay coming soon.

Next time we see a full fledge single player demo it should be close to final build I would imagine. That moment of truth is almost upon us.

Nokterian

Suit yourself, man. I'm loving what I see here. *shrugs* This new footage is strong enough to shift my gears entirely and make me want an Xbox One first. And I have been one of the more vocal members here hating on Microsoft. But hey, I just want great games.

After all the shit they have done, well i don't trust them the slightest, unbelievable that a lot are like now i am getting one but all ready forgotten what happend smh.

Top Bottom