• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sea of Thieves footage from comic con panel

BTM

So there will be sword fights against other players? And will there be enemies in general as well? A.I. enemies?

I think so. They just haven't released any details on a bunch of stuff yet. The cinematic trailer released at E3 gives a decent look at what kind of features to expect. Here it is

Basically, we just have to be patient until they show us these things

daTRUballin

Wow. the overreactions in that vid are insane. The guy had to put his controller down because he couldn't believe he was playing a rare game? This is so lame.

Game looks decent graphically.

No. He couldn't believe he was one of the first people in the world playing Sea of Thieves inside Rare's headquarters. Seriously. Do people not listen to what the developers say? Even when they showed that trailer for the first time last month at E3, the guy from Rare clearly explained who these players were. But nope. Nobody actually listens or does their research so they automatically assume "OMG PEWDIEPIE WANNABES OVERREACTING".

It's as if nobody on GAF has ever overreacted while playing a game or has ever played with a group of friends or something.

JaggedSac

thanks for footage OP (gifs dont really do it justice though)

mZm6Xn.gif

L9OD1v.gif

o2oKnL.gif

KrNBG8.gif

Me likey

Salty Hippo

Looks great but I'm not a fan of how they've been drip-feeding (mostly) meaningless information about this game since the announcement last year. Started with that weird debut trailer. Then hey look at this piece of artwork for this gun. Now look at this animated gif of water flooding in. Now look at some concept art for the environments. Cool huh, are you excited???

One year goes by with nothing of substance revealed and now play this barebones demo that doesn't even have combat or objectives in. Btw we're still not ready to talk about what the fuck you're going to do in this game in terms quests and how the game is structured, we'll just keep repeating the term sharedworldadventuregame forever like robots. What do you actually do? Well all we can say right now is that this is a SWAG game. How does it work? How is the balance? Customization? Interaction? Loot? NPCs?

SWAG, bro.

OH and BTW this NOT a F2P game, we can FINALLY confirm it!. It only took us more than one year after the official announcement to decide on this! Oh and we also want to make a beta but no fucking idea when. Just know we want to do it and follow us on social media. We are also very proud to officially announce in our official podcast that YES, the game will have melee combat! Another target reached in our speedy development process!

Now here we are looking at some time of day techdemo and environment shots that tell you nothing about the actual game! See you guys on the next event/panel where you'll find out more about the wildlife of Sea of Thieves. We can't wait to show you how our seagulls are coming along! We promise to show at least two specimens, stay tuned and please be excited!

The game looks nice but come the fuck on, Rare. If you have nothing worthwile to show, don't show anything. Otherwise you'll soon be in another No Man's Sky situation where people eventually got tired of your bullshit.

farisr

Honestly not sold on the game, nice artstyle but I just don't see how there will be lasting appeal unless you deliberately party up with friends (which I don't really have on xbox or PC). But I have the game preordered for $22, so I'd be a fool not to give it a shot at least at that price. Worst case scenario I sell the game and make a profit.

WaterAstro

Are they still doing that faked shit?

"Oh man, I am so stoked. Let me put down my controller because I am in shock I am playing Sea of Thieves, the greatest game of all time. No really. I am in awe. Actually, I'm just so happy that Microsoft shoved thousands of dollars down my pants before I made this video"

Sea of Thieves doesn't look special. An indie game that's just like it is coming out this year, and it's already just as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kQ5-7snE4

Until they shown something beyond ship battles, I have nothing to look forward to.

Jumeira

Banned
Just started watching on my TV, thanks for this, will post impressions after. Love this! Would have missed out if this wasn't posted here.

"Oh man, I am so stoked. Let me put down my controller because I am in shock I am playing Sea of Thieves, the greatest game of all time. No really. I am in awe. Actually, I'm just so happy that Microsoft shoved thousands of dollars down my pants before I made this video"

Sea of Thieves doesn't look special. An indie game that's just like it is coming out this year, and it's already just as good.

Until they shown something beyond ship battles, I have nothing to look forward to.

You know, you could read this very thread to find out that they aren't actors and they weren't paid but I suppose you'd rather make an ass out of yourself instead.

Honestly not sold on the game, nice artstyle but I just don't see how there will be lasting appeal unless you deliberately party up with friends (which I don't really have on xbox or PC). But I have the game preordered for $22, so I'd be a fool not to give it a shot at least at that price. Worst case scenario I sell the game and make a profit.
Bruh. Play with gaffers or use three xbl lfg feature coming soon
That's what I'm gonna do cause my friends only play shooters on Xbox

Trup1aya

Has it be so long since we enjoyed a video game, that anyone we see enjoying a game must be a shill?

I personally, doubt a game would ever bring me to display this level of joy under normal circumstances.

But getting a special invite to a favorite developer to play a game early night tip me over the edge.

Has it be so long since we enjoyed a video game, that anyone we see enjoying a game must be a shill?

I personally, doubt a game would ever bring me to display this level of joy under normal circumstances.

But getting a special invite to a favorite developer to play a game early night tip me over the edge.
Word.

If Nintendo brought me over to play Zelda I'd flip the fuck out

daTRUballin

You know, you could read this very thread to find out that they aren't actors and they weren't paid but I suppose you'd rather make an ass out of yourself instead.

Don't even bother, dude. Reading or listening takes too much time these days. It's better to just spout some nonsense without knowing jackshit. Didn't you know?

daTRUballin

But...but....but anybody who enjoys playing a game on camera is a Pewdiepie wannabe!

I'v been playing the Blackwake alpha.

It doesn't look or seem like it'll play even remotely the same.

WaterAstro

That's like saying Ubisoft's voice comm weren't paid actors.

I'v been playing the Blackwake alpha.

It doesn't look or seem like it'll play even remotely the same.

A multiplayer Ship Combat game where you individually manage cannons doesn't look like a multiplayer Ship Combat game where you individually manage cannons.

Okay.

A multiplayer Ship Combat game where you individually manage cannons doesn't look like a multiplayer Ship Combat game where you individually manage cannons.

Okay.
I promise you right now, as soon as I find those thousands of dollars Microsoft gave me, to share it with you ;)

SOR5

Okay.

Unless you can prove the life and hobby of enthusiastic Rare fans here on this very forum was paid for, nurtured and artificially managed by MS since the womb, stop.

Absolutely yawning my arse off at the cries of 'marketer' or other strings being pulled by now

This and two other games are the reason why I'm building a PC soon.

This game makes me think Runescape. I just hope that it the gameplay is fun and the community is active.

Simply put, not feeling the hype-men/women.

WaterAstro

Unless you can prove the life and hobby of enthusiastic Rare fans here on this very forum was paid for, nurtured and artificially managed by MS since the womb, stop.

Absolutely yawning my arse off at the cries of 'marketer' or other strings being pulled by now

You show off the game by just showing off the game. Not some faked youtuber reactions.

They had long line up of E3 players. Why couldn't they record that? Why record a controlled environment? That bad acting of enthusiasm is very telling.

SOR5

You show off the game by just showing off the game. Not some faked youtuber reactions.

They had long line up of E3 players. Why couldn't they record that? Why record a controlled environment? That bad acting of enthusiasm is very telling.

Call them out in this thread then, theyre posting right here. Call them out and tell them how badly their enthusiasm is faked. No way they could be enjoying it right? You sound nuts.

And whilst youre at it, tell them their love for games is a sham paid for by Microsoft.

daTRUballin

A few months ago, there was a contest Rare did that rewarded winners by inviting those winners over to Rare's HQ and let them have the opportunity of being the first people in the world to play Sea of Thieves. Those video recordings are of those winners playing the games. That's all it is.

It's pretty insulting of you to accuse people of faking their enjoyment for a game and getting paid for it. Not to mention some of these people post in these threads.

Okay.

They don't play similar at all. You're missing the point.

I mean just looking at the sea of thieves gameplay video, you have MUCH more autonomy in terms of movement with the ship, guns, things are much faster, you don't need a full compliment of 20 people to actually man the ship effectively.

That's just stuff I noticed within a minute of the E3 gameplay trailer. Just because it's a pirate game at the most basic level doesn't mean they look or play the same.

WaterAstro

Whatever you guys want. If you want to believe it, go ahead.

I choose to believe a game can be sold without these reactions.

brawly

It looks nice, incredible at times, but there's really no long lasting substance shown so far.

Show the combat already.

What sort of 'world' features do this game intend to have at release? The official site is rather... light.

Is there town building or sort of any sort of housing in NPC towns? Can you own property or assets on islands, e.g. pirate camps, sugar plantations and rum distilleries, lumber camps and shipyards, etc?

Or is it mostly focused on the sea element: having a ship, exploring, PvP, etc?

Game looks gorgeous and the sea combat (especially the cannon balls) really look great, but really couldn't find much detail on the rest of the game from its official website.

SOR5

No, you repeatedly accused members here of being paid shills faking their reactions because you dont trust anybody who enjoys it.

Sydle

The folks shown had to make a creative pirate-themed image or video as part of a contest to win a trip to Rare to be the first to play the game. If you watch some of the videos of the winners you'll notice they picked people with loud personalities.

Multiple winners featured in those videos have gone on record to say they were not told to say or do anything in particular other than to play the game. And yes, they knew they were being recorded.

daTRUballin

That's not the point we're making. This game CAN be sold without these reactions, sure. But you were accusing these players as being fake. Which they're not. We're trying to tell you that the reactions aren't fake, but for whatever reason, you refuse to believe us.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Weren't basically all the E3 reactions of this game validating the initial reactions shown in that video by Rare? I thought we were past this.

One thing threads about this game (both from E3 and now) have shown me is that some of you people must be wired differently in the head because it took me all of 5 seconds to tune out the people talking and just enjoy the footage of the game and the music in the background.

Top Bottom