• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sea of Thieves footage from comic con panel

Durock

Not paid a single dime. Just a big fan given the opportunity of a lifetime to play a new game from my favorite developer. What's not to be excited about?

Elixist

looks beautiful, but we already knew that. im loving these cartoon shaders ala witness, overwatch. i would think a wow 2 would look like this a bit. i'd like to see more of how it plays, i guess they aint ready for that.

Machina

Banned
YpFpPhY.gif

Holy mother of....

statham

can't wait for a troll to be on top giving directions,
*steer 40 to the left!"
*Iceberg*
*crew makes him walk the plank*

:) day onezies.

CCIE

Banned
Horrible, horrible actors. And it still isn't in a third person so a complete no-go for me. Still uncertain where the actual game is in this. But it should appeal to the Destiny type of crowd.

Bsigg12

Guys WaterAstro says to not believe their lies so we shouldn't be excited or think this is actual footage. Maybe Rare isn't actually making a game and it's all a giant hoax.

Gowans

After putting in so many hours on Ark with mates on Xbox I really hope this can be the evolution of that.

Looks amazing!

daTRUballin

Guys WaterAstro says to not believe their lies so we shouldn't be excited or think this is actual footage. Maybe Rare isn't actually making a game and it's all a giant hoax.

Yep. Exactly. Microsoft still has Rare secretly working on Kinect and Avatars in their locked up dungeon. Sea of Thieves isn't real. It's just to make people think Rare is still relevant. It's all just for show. It's all a conspiracy.

SilentRob

Horrible, horrible actors. And it still isn't in a third person so a complete no-go for me. Still uncertain where the actual game is in this. But it should appeal to the Destiny type of crowd.

Why is it so hard to believe for some people that instead of casting actors, giving them a script, explaining to them what Rare and Sea of Thieves is and then making them act like they are excited they simply invited excited long-time fans of the studio? That approach is so much easier! We even seem to have one of the guys from the video in this very thread, and still you guys go on about them being actors? Whut?

This looks like it could be fun, but every single time they show gameplay with those gods awful streamers talking over it, it just reduces my interest to zero.

They're selling this as a game for wankers as far as I can see. It's hardly the return to form for Rare I'd always wished for.

daTRUballin

Love how people from that video are posting in this thread, and the previous Sea of Thieves one, but are being completely ignored. Incredible.

I also love how everytime someone says something true and reasonable like this, you always get these kinds of posts right after:

This looks like it could be fun, but every single time they show gameplay with those gods awful streamers talking over it, it just reduces my interest to zero.

They're selling this as a game for wankers as far as I can see. It's hardly the return to form for Rare I'd always wished for.

Whut

God forbid actual fans get excited by actual games.

T.O.P

Banned

You people are really fuckin weird, honestly

Star Citizen, and now this. The two premises I've always dreamed of finally being realised :'), and I just built my first PC.

Cannot wait.

Surprised so many are down on the E3 facecam gameplay. I thought it was a really nice touch.

They show off the ai enemies in this same video.

There's a whole panel here, not just the two timestamps.

Yep I know, I just didn't have the time at the moment to watch the full panel. Was kind of hoping for a summary but I will watch it for sure now. Hope they can reach its full potential with this one.

Yep I know, I just didn't have the time at the moment to watch the full panel. Was kind of hoping for a summary but I will watch it for sure now. Hope they can reach its full potential with this one.

I'm going through it now... fun fact, at 9:06 or so, the panel guy actually calls out the cynicism re: the players, lol.

edit: he also says "but the community managed that one away," clearly their community people haven't spent much time on GAF :p

Has this been announced as F2P or full price?

Definitely not f2p, but I'm not sure it'll be a full 60. One Amazon outlet had it at 40 for a while, IIRC.

klaus

I promise you right now, as soon as I find those thousands of dollars Microsoft gave me, to share it with you ;)

Not paid a single dime. Just a big fan given the opportunity of a lifetime to play a new game from my favorite developer. What's not to be excited about?

I just want to stress that you guys are:
- horrible actors
- obnoxious twitchers
- paid shills
- faking emotions

Thank you.

I'm just soooo jealous, need that game in my veins right now! ;)

Some of the folk in this thread are just the worst :(

Imagine being a super fan of a studio or franchise and you won a competition to go and play their newest game about a year and a bit away from release. Imagine you absolutely loved Uncharted, GTA or Bloodborne and you got to visit Naughty Dog, R* North or From Software's studio - meet the devs and play this super secret game of theirs.

Yeah yeah, you'd all be like The Fonz and just play it cool and not even crack a smile or look even remotely excited, right? Sheesh.

As for the game itself, can't wait. Love everything I see or read about it and will be there day one :)

jesu

You really have to reconsider who is coming across like a wanker here.

Alright, for those looking for a summary:

• Panel introductions
  • Discussed E3 trailer
  • Extra footage from visit, featuring extra-over-the-top reactions
  • E3 cinematic trailer (the one with the frozen moments)
  • New stuff starts ~13:55, The Illustrative Approach. Details the art style. Comparisons between concepts and actual objects. Lots of stuff and examples in this section as the whole segment is lengthy, goes over environments, objects, and people. General approach was lower-detailed, but sophisticated; cartoony and illustrated-looking. Every object/character/environment should look like it has a story, like it's been used or stolen and resold, because... pirates. Ditto places and people, showed off one example where they took this big lantern-jawed guy and scarred him up, broke the nose, etc. Added a lot, imo.
  • More about characters coming Soon(tm)
  • Everything should have a sense of motion. Time of day system is an example. Starts at ~19:55.
  • Clouds are 3D geometry, operate on simplified weather system. Areas with low pressure attract clouds. Actually demonstrates this with a little demo one of their tech guys drummed up.
  • Example video of the movement concept starts 23:07; shows off times of day, environments. Big focus on how ships bob and roll in the water, which is to say, very very nicely.
  • Discussion of ships in general starts 25:00. Many different types of ships. Ships can be further differentiated through liveries, which are basically skins/paintjobs, plus crew insignia on the sails, and also figureheads. Some figureheads are callbacks to old Rare games! They show off a Joanna Dark one and a Banjo-Kazooie one, and they look verrrry nice.
  • AI enemies discussed in "A Sea of Danger" starts 27:39 or so. Speaker is a big Harryhausen fan, so that's nifty. We get to see some enemy animations here.
  • There's various boss skeletons, that they're calling "skelly lords." Each of them has a different "thing." We saw one in the E3 cinematic trailer, they show off another, called the "gold hoarder." He's slowly replacing his bones with golden bits, and has bigass gemstones stuck in his eyesockets. I dig it.
  • Merpeople! Weird progression of models shown, guy starts out looking like a pirate with a tail and gets more and more fishlike.
  • Ghost pirates CONFIRMED! Very early footage at 32:18. There is also a ghost-pirateship. J'adore.
  • Q&A from 33:25 onwards. Ain'tnobodygottimeforthat.gif.

All in all, I'm realllllly liking how this thing's shaping up.

klaus

Yeah, it's not like they have ever been paid to say something without full disclosure.
That of course means that every time they show an excited fan play the game that it is fake & has been paid for, RIGHT?
Especially when they explicitely anounced and made a public contest for Rare fans and invited & filmed the winners, RIGHT?
And absolutely certainly when those people are posting in this very thread, RIGHT?

Or perhaps you just have to be highly ignorant and / or cynic to think so, given the readily available information.

Is this not ever coming for other windows versions?

And I agree those guys over react a little bit, the comments about them overdoing it are not that insane.

klaus

And I agree those guys over react a little bit, the comments about them overdoing it are not that insane.
I will assume your regular Gaffer will stay really cool when given the chance to be among the first players on the planet playing the newest game from their favorite studio, sure thing. How jaded have some gamers on this forum become? Or is it because fuck MS etc?

Jumeira

Banned
You look really stupid you know that? Some of those players are gaffers

Jb

Alright, for those looking for a summary:

Thanks dude!

I love the idea for this game and the look of it. Now the one thing I'm waiting to see is what the structure of the game and the progression is like. I'm a little worried it will quickly get repetitive but so far what they've showed is really cool.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This is the first 'MMO' Ive actually been interested in playing since Phantasy Star Online. Can't wait.

Peterpan

Hopefully we get to see more soon. Like actual combat with swords, if that's good I don't have to see anymore, I'm sold. They put in ghost ships, which I was asking for in the other thread. Almost there.

SOR5

Waiting for the next GRRR YOUTUBERS post about fans who've never streamed a thing in their life and did it for free

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Hopefully we get to see more soon. Like actual combat with swords, if that's good I don't have to see anymore, I'm sold. They put in ghost ships, which I was asking for in the other thread. Almost there.

They didn't just put in ghost ships, apparently the death mechanic revolves around a ghost ship. Very cool.

Top Bottom