• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shenmue 3 Prototype Screenshot

I tried to extract the other 2 offscreen pics and correct them (the best I could) to have a better glance.

XQaNnZe.png

miyLBLk.png

Interesting reactions, but not unexpected. This is the video game equivalent of a movie sequel made 20 years later. The actors don't look as you remember them, and it shouldn't surprise you, yet it still doesn't feel right.

If you want to see the art design for Shenmue 3, I suggest checking out this thread on the Shenmue Dojo full of concept art.

One thing is to see sketches other to see it running in engine. The only point of my two comments is seeing how they choose to translate it to in engine graphics, hence the pictures I posted. Those two are more 2d than 3d games in a sense, so yeah not the best analogue, but I thought a comparison to Dreamfall Chapters prototypes wouldn't be fair and people would get the idea I was comparing graphics.

Spaghetti

2017 thats all we know.
December 2017.

And I don't expect it to hit that, even though they're apparently making good time with development.

For a game that has only been in active development since July, it's surprising to see people jumping on how it looks considering there's another 23 months left of development at the very least.

I even made sure to include prototype IN THE TITLE, and provided an example. Maybe we're all to used to seeing first reveals look great then getting inevitably downgraded, rather than having graphics improve through development.

I dunno. Either way, I like what they're going for. They'll get the 'look' of Guilin right in time, as that's something Yu Suzuki is super passionate about.

Bl@de

Looks like an early build. What a surprise.

Art direction etc. is close to 1&2 and that's the important thing at this stage.

Spaghetti

One thing is to see sketches other to see it running in engine. The only point of my two comments is seeing how they choose to translate it to in engine graphics, hence the pictures I posted. Those two are more 2d than 3d games in a sense, so yeah not the best analogue, but I thought a comparison to Dreamfall Chapters prototypes wouldn't be fair and people would get the idea I was comparing graphics.
I don't really know what else to tell you other than come back in a year and see how the game looks then. It's a prototype, and you can at least see what they're going for with a rural environment.

I don't know what people expected.

It's like filmmaking in a way. There are these things called rushes. Rushes were the best takes decided by the director to have printed and developed, so they could be watched back for review. Rushes are really messy, and nothing like a finished and polished film, but you can see promise in them and an idea of where the film is going.

I feel the same way about these screens. They're not even remotely done working on how it looks, but I get that they're trying to develop an atmosphere and giving some personality to these locations.

And people wonder why there isn't more transparency during development of games. Look at the replies in this thread. Sweet suffering Christ.

Erevador

One rarely gets to see a game this early in development, so it's cool to see. Anyone trying to make predictions about what the game will look like based on the first visual ideations (which is what we are seeing here) is deluded. They're just starting to play around with the visuals of the game.

Exciting to see that they are making progress though, nice to see them keeping the fans updated like this.

Erevador

Pretty damn cool to see such an unusual environment for a game. The Chinese countryside in the late 80s... such a rich and unique setting for a video game. Can't wait to see more of the world here.

I don't really know what else to tell you other than come back in a year and see how the game looks then. It's a prototype, and you can at least see what they're going for with a rural environment.

I don't know what people expected.

It's like filmmaking in a way. There are these things called rushes. Rushes were the best takes decided by the director to have printed and developed, so they could be watched back for review. Rushes are really messy, and nothing like a finished and polished film, but you can see promise in them and an idea of where the film is going.

I feel the same way about these screens. They're not even remotely done working on how it looks, but I get that they're trying to develop an atmosphere and giving some personality to these locations.

I guess I get now that this is not an area that will be in the game. It looks like they dropped the characters in The TALOS principle or something. But then I ask myself, then why even show it with the character facing away, it is like they are showing us nothing that will actually be in the game.

And while I get your analogy, I think this is nothing like rushes, something considerably earlier, table reads maybe. You can't change the outfit or re-lit a location after you shot it, only re edit the footage. Unless you can burn money and shoot it again.

edit: the only issue I see is that, if you think the production is already in "rushes stage", then it does indeed look behind, not that I mind, I'll give an extra year to most crowfunded games without thinking much about it.

Bastos

He could have stated that Yu Suzuki drew it by hand and you'd have people say it looks like a cave drawing.
lol yep

I don't understand the community, people ask for screens, they know (or at least should know) that the game is in early development, but whatever, let's just flip the brain switch off and complain about a prototypes' appearance.

Looks to be shaping up well, still rough (and that's to be expected with a prototype), but I'm hopeful it'll improve as they progress.

Wonder when they'll finally show the new faces, haha.

Sometimes I think I expect too much from gaffers. This is one of those times. How poor of an understanding do some of you have of videogame development? And you're flaunting this ignorance proudly too lmao. On a game coming out in 2 years.

I mean just look at this shit.
looks like a dreamcast game so that's good

Oh only dreamcast? You sure it doesn't look like a NES title? We can go lower still! What about an atari 2600 game?

Like... Have you ever even been near a Dreamcast?

Xieldos

Still difficult to believe that this is actually happening.

I'm not sure why there seems to be a great backlash against Shenmue 3 but for those of us who have been waiting years it's great to see things like this so early.

lol yep

I don't understand the community, people ask for screens, they know (or at least should know) that the game is in early development, but whatever, let's just flip the brain switch off and complain about a prototypes' appearance.

I think you underestimate how many kickstarted and crowdfunded games people have followed from start to finish as of 2016. Any opportunity to offer criticism is welcomed, that's the way it works no matter the cow. Hell, Star Citizen probably the one sacred cow and still gets (and should get) the most fan opinions off all, even if it is the furthers away from release.

Garlador

Still difficult to believe that this is actually happening.

I'm not sure why there seems to be a great backlash against Shenmue 3 but for those of us who have been waiting years it's great to see things like this so early.

Pretty much.

I'll take anything and everything I can get.

Spaghetti

I guess I get now that this is not an area that will be in the game. It looks like they dropped the characters in The TALOS principle or something. But then I ask myself, then why even show it with the character facing away, it is like they are showing us nothing that will actually be in the game.

And while I get your analogy, I think this is nothing like rushes, something considerably earlier, table reads maybe. You can't change the outfit or re-lit a location after you shot it, only re edit the footage. Unless you can burn money and shoot it again.

edit: the only issue I see is that, if you think the production is already in "rushes stage", then it does indeed look behind, not that I mind, I'll give an extra year to most crowfunded games without thinking much about it.
It will be in the game, but it won't look like it does right now. Part of the aim for the prototype is to get the game world the right size. Not too big, not too dense. Given common complaints about open environment games suffering from either of these problems, I think they're making the right choice to place their priorities on getting the size right before adjusting the assets/shaders/etc to make it look like the final product they want to make.

I don't particularly think it's at the 'rushes stage' either, I'm just making a point that there's promise in what they're showing. You can see what they're thinking of, even if the actual game doesn't look like it should yet. I see the sleepy rural Chinese village surrounded by mountains they're trying to make, even if it isn't done yet.

Why are they showing it? I suppose just keeping people informed of the project. While I'm sure going underground for a year and a half would allow the game to reemerge looking far more final, that's not a good look for a crowdfunded game. Honestly, it's our first look at Shenmue 3 since November, and it's nice to see how things are developing. The story of the making of the original Shenmue games is interesting enough, but in theory we should now have a front row seat to seeing it go from prototype to final.

Turning the characters away is a decision based on how people didn't think the E3 models looked right, and I think it's for the best until they're ready to unveil the new ones. We did see an image of the new Shenhua model at the China Expo in November, but I don't think we'll be seeing much more until next month at the earliest.

papo

I feel like whenever anyone points out inconsistencies in character design they always always forget to account for angles and stuff like that.

As for the game it is looking meh, but there is long time to go.

It will be in the game, but it won't look like it does right now. Part of the aim for the prototype is to get the game world the right size. Not too big, not too dense. Given common complaints about open environment games suffering from either of these problems, I think they're making the right choice to place their priorities on getting the size right before adjusting the assets/shaders/etc to make it look like the final product they want to make.

I don't particularly think it's at the 'rushes stage' either, I'm just making a point that there's promise in what they're showing. You can see what they're thinking of, even if the actual game doesn't look like it should yet. I see the sleepy rural Chinese village surrounded by mountains they're trying to make, even if it isn't done yet.

Why are they showing it? I suppose just keeping people informed of the project. While I'm sure going underground for a year and a half would allow the game to reemerge looking far more final, that's not a good look for a crowdfunded game. Honestly, it's our first look at Shenmue 3 since November, and it's nice to see how things are developing. The story of the making of the original Shenmue games is interesting enough, but in theory we should now have a front row seat to seeing it go from prototype to final.

Turning the characters away is a decision based on how people didn't think the E3 models looked right, and I think it's for the best until they're ready to unveil the new ones. We did see an image of the new Shenhua model at the China Expo in November, but I don't think we'll be seeing much more until next month at the earliest.

Sounds fair, I just didn't like at all how the area looked, actually thought it was some randomized vanilla UE4 asset. Realistically, my only preference would be if they make it all a bit more animation-style by the end of it all. Like halfway between Virtua fighter 4 and Street Fighter V (minus the crazy watercolor and proportions).

Spaghetti

Who are the two characters in the picture? I really don't know much about Shenmue at all. This takes place in Japan I assume.
Takes place in rural China (Guilin region). The first game is Japan, and the second in Hong Kong/Kowloon Walled City.

The characters are Shenhua, a girl from the village in the picture with vaguely hinted at mystical connections to nature, and Ryo, a martial artist from Japan on a revenge quest (also has a nice leather jacket).

Spaghetti

Sounds fair, I just didn't like at all how the area looked, actually thought it was some randomized vanilla UE4 asset. Realistically, my only preference would be if they make it all a bit more animation-style by the end of it all. Like halfway between Virtua fighter 4 and Street Fighter V (minus the crazy watercolor and proportions).
Honestly, I do think a lot of it is currently made out of prefab parts in the UE4 engine while they get the world size right, and they're likely still using default shaders, so you're probably correct in that assumption.

7threst

I love it, looks very, very good! Also like the atmosphere they were going for in this screenshot. Really glad I backed this!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I miss the blocky 'straight from the Arcade' approach to graphics that was AM2's signature :/

I understand why its like this, but they better keep all the old GUI's, sound effects and stuff to evoke nostalgia rather than go for some 'all new' slick meaningless font and plain approach.

Top Bottom