• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

legacyzero

Banned
OMFG YESSSSSSSS !!! CANT CONTAIN THE HYPE!!! PLEASE TELL ME AKIRA YAMAOKA IS DOING THE OST PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! *hyperventilates*

Yeah, I think this would nail it down as the best newest Silent Hill since 4 if they do it right. Just don't give Yamaoka any other responsibility outside of music and sound.

If this game was exclusive, they would have made it a huge announcement. See TR (even if timed for PC).

I mean, technically they didn't even announce it at all.

All we know is the Playable Teaser is only on the PS4. Only people with a PS4 could have unlocked the Silent Hills reveal. That's literally all we know at this point.

As I imagine this is a big revival for the franchise, it would be probably good for it to be available on multiple platforms.
Then again, Konami has been dogshit overall for almost 10 years and their output with their popular franchises have either been completely ignored or outsourced. They've treated the Silent Hill franchise like an unwanted foster child since The Room released, outsourcing games to teams with minimal experience and supplying tight budgets and sloppy QA. They sent their last two SH game releases (Downpour and Book of Memories) to die. Why all the sudden make a big push to bring it back unless they received outside funding/help/support?

I'm curious to get more details. I expect it to be PS4/X1/PC, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony made some kind of development assistance deal to make it happen.
This whole P.T. experience, combined with the Kojima/Del Toro SH reveal, is creating a ton of buzz right now.

GunBR

Aβydoς;125201132 said:
This.
But I think most people think of writing as the story mostly. Like me, they want the big twist at the end and they're afraid Kojima/Del Toro won't deliver.
Imho, they totally will.
Well, we already got a big twist at the end of this demo

Ridley327

Yamaoka is doing music for Rime and Murasaki Baby right now too, I really hope he returns.

I didn't know he was on Rime, too!

That being said, those on top of Let it Bleed have him with a full plate presently. Hopefully, Konami isn't too interested in getting this out too quickly if they are interested in hiring him on.

Zen

Banned
I mean, technically they didn't even announce it at all.

All we know is the Playable Teaser is only on the PS4. Only people with a PS4 could have unlocked the Silent Hills reveal. That's literally all we know at this point.

As I imagine this is a big revival for the franchise, it would be probably good for it to be available on multiple platforms.
Then again, Konami has been dogshit overall for almost 10 years and their output with their popular franchises have either been completely ignored or outsourced. They've treated the Silent Hill franchise like an unwanted foster child since The Room released, outsourcing games to teams with minimal experience and supplying tight budgets and sloppy QA. They sent their last two SH game releases (Downpour and Book of Memories) to die. Why all the sudden make a big push to bring it back unless they received outside funding/help/support?

I'm curious to get more details. I expect it to be PS4/X1/PC, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony made some kind of development assistance deal to make it happen.
This whole P.T. experience, combined with the Kojima/Del Toro SH reveal, is creating a ton of buzz right now.

Yeah, I mean Kojima said this was coming from a newly formed studio (that seems to be comprised of a lost of Kojima Productions guys?), I could see Sony having helped fund the enterprise since konami is insanely risk adverse.

But the fact that Sony goes out of their way to say that this teaser is PSN exclusive or whatnot makes me think that the game is multi platform.

Vinc

I completely lost my shit when I saw this. As soon as Kojima started talking about cardboard boxes I knew he couldn't only be there for that, and when they played the P.T. trailer, I instantly had flashbacks of that statement Kojima made like 2-3 years ago saying he'd love to work on Silent Hill.

This is one of my favorite gaming franchises of all time and it hasn't had a good installment since 4 which didn't even really count as a Silent Hill game.

This feels so good. I played the teaser, it's totally terrifying... I still can't even. I just can't even.

Mxthe

Neo Member
I've been peeling this teaser as well as the P.T demo since the news broke, and I came up with some conclusions and theories.

I might be completely wrong, but there are multiple hints that point toward a few specific directions.

VYGfb1i.jpg

"The only me is me, are you sure the only you is you?"

This right there, points to multiple versions of "you" or the player, along with the "infinite" loops of the hallway which seems to point in the direction of multiple universes.
I know they said the teaser had nothing to do with the main title, but I am still intrigued at another thing that points in the same direction, that being the game's new title.

"Silent Hills" plural.

Taking into account that there are "multiple yous" and according to the title, multiple Silent Hills, is it too far stretched to think that this new game will bring in some sort of multiplayer component?

The game could remain single player/story oriented and incorporate other players in the story mode "a la Dark Souls", it's a wild theory but I do think the signs are here.

Another theory would be a little less (or more) far stretched, and would have to do with siamese twins.

The very first image you see when the P.T game starts, is a "cockroach".

UYZOWXu.jpg

Or more precisely, 2 cockroaches "tied together" back to back. Makes you wonder how screwed up the story is going to get, but knowing Silent Hill's track record, and Kojima's/Del Toro's, we can expect some shocking stuff.

Anyone has thoughts on those aspects?

Sounds like a tentative title to me. I imagine it will come with some kind of witty sub-title IE Silent Hill: Downpour

I don't think so. The title Silent Hills (and the fact that the 's' appeared as a big reveal, as well as using the theme music from Silent Hill one) points to the title going back as a true successor (or even reboot) of Silent Hill. It is dropping the baggage of the numerous subtitled releases and going back to it's origins. Similar to how The movie Predators marketed itself as going back to the good vibes of Predator rather than it's crappy numbered sequel.

Vinc

One thing is for sure, Kojima really knows how to announce games. That was genuinely one of the coolest announcements I've ever seen for anything.

venom2124

I am beyond excited for this. My favorite series is finally back in the hands of truly talented people. PT was seriously scarier than any game I've played in years. What a way to announce new game.

Also, I hope a good majority of the game is first person. I love third person, and Silent Hill 2 is hands down my favorite game ever, but there is a level of fear that you get from first person that is tough to replicate. Hearing footsteps behind you, not being able to swing the camera around the corner, radios telling you to turn around, etc. They have Reedus so I'm pretty sure the game will be third person like the rest of the series, but I would like for Konami to change it up.

teiresias

I just keep watching the gamergirltalk video over and over (at least the last part) and I always smile uncontrollably when she squeals when Kojima's name appears. It's freaking infectious.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay, so I downloaded this the other day and I bailed out the minute I realized that the hallway began to loop. The scary shit I just saw in this thread isn't helping either.

I want to be glad that a potentially done right SH is coming back, but I'm just scared shitless now that they have the technology to mess me up pretty bad.

Z0mbicide

Banned
I sure as shit hope it's not some multiplayer derivative of Silent Hill. All that would do would be to detract from the horror element.

legacyzero

Banned
I don't think so. The title Silent Hills (and the fact that the 's' appeared as a big reveal, as well as using the theme music from Silent Hill one) points to the title going back as a true successor (or even reboot) of Silent Hill. It is dropping the baggage of the numerous subtitled releases and going back to it's origins. Similar to how The movie Predators marketed itself as going back to the good vibes of Predator rather than it's crappy numbered sequel.

That actually sounds pretty good. And it worked out for Predators, considering how good a movie it was :D

One thing is for sure, Kojima really knows how to announce games. That was genuinely one of the coolest announcements I've ever seen for anything.

I agree. The guy is a genious. He could have just as well just showed a trailer and called it a day.

I've never seen Silent Hill blow up on the internet like this. Makes me happy.

DirtyLarry

This is pretty much the best gaming related news I have heard in a very, very long time.
To this day no other game has managed to creep me the fuck out like Silent Hill. None.
I want to be creeped out again.

With that said, if this PT is a sign of things to come my excitement has totally been killed in every single regard. I found it to rely on the cheap gimmicks that have plagued modern horror titles for way too many years to fabricate its scares. The only thing actually scary about it to me is how many people seem to think it was actually scary.

Game4life

Banned
Ambiguous means no. Outright stating its multiplatform doesn't help their cause and they aren't outright lying by being silent. They just hope people believe it is because of the reveal.

If this game was exclusive, they would have made it a huge announcement. See TR (even if timed for PC).

Does that mean only the teaser was published by Sony and the main game will be published by Konami? Seems weird to do that though.

Mxthe

Neo Member
The two cockroaches are having sex, not tied together.

I had to google "Cockroaches having sex" to see what it would look like. :(
I'm not really used to see that kind of things.

What I do know though, is that the guys who are making this rarely leave things at random.

For example the "hole" in the bathroom, definitely a nod to Silent Hill 4, but it could also mean more.

jkBUdsf.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
I think the PT is crap, but I am so so pumped for the game. It's been way too long since SH was given the care and attention it warrants.

What I do know though, is that the guys who are making this rarely leave things at random.

For example the "hole" in the bathroom, definitely a nod to Silent Hill 4, but it could also mean more.

jkBUdsf.jpg

There was a hole here.....

GenericUser

Why seems everybody to be so hyped about this game? It's just one more silent hill game that is not being done by team silent. Will be the same like downpour / shattered memories / homecoming.

I have no faith that there will ever be a silent hill game again that captures the spirit of the real silent hill games.

So...why can't I find the teaser on the store?

Edit: had to search "PT", weird how it's not visible on the main page or even by navigating the menus

rtcn63

Honestly, if the game just doesn't totally suck, I'm in. I finished SH4, Homecoming, and Downpour, with all their (at times borderline horrendous) faults.

Riptwo

In addition to the pair of cockroaches, there's also a pair of spiders if you look up and to the right while facing the radio. The game is clearly about insect romance.

rhino4evr

Why seems everybody so hyped about this game? It's just one more silent hill game that is not being done by team silent. Will be the same like downpour / shattered memories / homecoming.

I have no faith that there will ever be a silent hill game again that captures the spirit of the real silent hill games.

I would imagine it has to do with the team that is involved this time. A Metal Gear caliber silent hill game sounds pretty promising to me. Especially with Del Toro who knows how to deliver scares.

PersonaX

No one fucking praises Pan for it's writing.

Pan was nominated for the best original screenplay at the Academy Awards.

Blade II wasn't written by him, nor was he solely responsible for Mimic either, it was written with Matthew Robbins. Why are you so vocal when you don't seem to know what you're talking about?

Also, i don't think we know their roles in the process of making the game yet, calm down.

Why seems everybody so hyped about this game? It's just one more silent hill game that is not being done by team silent. Will be the same like downpour / shattered memories / homecoming.

Can it truly never be captured again, or are you simple against the idea that it never possible could, nor would you admit it if it did? :p

jkBUdsf.jpg

The word, "Gloryhole" gets a new meaning now.

Top Bottom