• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SILENT HILL by Hideo Kojima & Guillermo Del Toro starring Norman Reedus

The real Silent Hills will probably be in 3rd person but I would really like a game in the vein of the teaser, they utilized the 1st person perspective wonderfully.

It just needs to be tightened up a lot so you aren't wandering aimlessly so often.

Mxthe

Neo Member
So, has anyone found out how
to trigger the two baby laughs to finish the damn thing
, or is it completely luck based?

You need to zoom in on anything that looks suspicious to you.

Check the radio, the phone, photographs, the plants, the clock, the door knobs, the lights.

Zoom on EVERYTHING, that's how you trigger events.

Lynn616

Nope but Sony has scheduled a 30 minutes meeting with the press to showcase a currently unannounced japanese PS4 title.
About 8.5 hours left until the event.
Consindering the length of the presentation I guess there's a good chance that the mysterious game is actually Silent Hill, so we might get more details including the platforms it will be released on.

What happened with this? What is the unannounced PS4 title?

Mxthe

Neo Member
That's fox engine for ya.

But then again, darkness does hides imperfections, usually dark games look better this way.

Thorgal

So can anyone kindly gie me a link to a let's play of this teaser ?

I have no PS4 (yet) but i really want to see how it looks and plays .

The real Silent Hills will probably be in 3rd person but I would really like a game in the vein of the teaser, they utilized the 1st person perspective wonderfully.

It just needs to be tightened up a lot so you aren't wandering aimlessly so often.

Is no one else in awe at the graphics fidelity of P.T ?

This is basically a CG movie in real-time.

I definitely am. Fox engine is for real.

StuBurns

Banned
It looks pretty good asset and shader wise, but the performance and IQ aren't where they should be, and it's tiny little corridor that repeats. It's going to take a huge hit when it's a streaming town to explore.

Mxthe

Neo Member
Given what the FOX engine is able to pull off in MGS V, I wouldn't be concerned about a small foggy town with limited draw distance.

lord

So what... two hills now? what's up with that? are they rebooting the franchise by adding a plural? Sounds cool, but not the people I would expect for a SH game, Kojima's games are like low-end action movies in terms of script and del Toro films... I don't know, his creatures are good, but the overall themes of his body of work doesn't come close to SH, Kojima either. This is going to be a mainstream horror reboot, i doubt it will maintain the same type of fucked-upness 1-3 had.

Superflat

The lighting and textures were orgasmic. My friends and I wouldn't shut the fuck up over how good it looked. Especially on a ps4.

It was phenomenal seeing a "next-gen" horror game boasting some of the best technical visuals and atmosphere I've seen on current consoles. Just from the introduction where they have a close-up on the cockroach and slowly zoom out; until they allow you to move your character, I thought it was a pre-rendered cutscene.

And weirdly enough, I thought it looked much better with the lights on than off, imo. There weren't really dynamic shadows on a lot of objects, flashlight wasn't acting like a real flashlight (you should be able to see more than 5 feet in front of you with it on, unless it's an exceptionally weak flashlight), and it looked more "video-gamey" in general.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It looks pretty good asset and shader wise, but the performance and IQ aren't where they should be, and it's tiny little corridor that repeats. It's going to take a huge hit when it's a streaming town to explore.

Its a short, free gimmick game, you shouldnt expect to much of it.

Why seems everybody to be so hyped about this game? It's just one more silent hill game that is not being done by team silent. Will be the same like downpour / shattered memories / homecoming.

I have no faith that there will ever be a silent hill game again that captures the spirit of the real silent hill games.

See, I'm on the side of the fence that doesn't think that Silent Hill is total dogshit if it doesn't "capture" what you're talking about. People enjoyed Shattered Memories, and I would say that a fair share of people that actually finished Downpour thought it was at the very least a solid horror game with an awesome story.

I think that there's too much of an obsession with "Team Silent." They're not the only people on the planet that can create great atmosphere. They were artistically brilliant, but they're not the only artists out there. You're also preemptively criticizing something that we know almost nothing about at this point simply because they didn't make some grand announcement that "Team Silent" is back and they're in their same game and playing field that they were a few decades ago.

Kojima's team totally has the potential and skill to pull this off. You might be right; this game may not be the original Silent Hill. But it can still be damn good and have its own atmosphere; in fact I would rather see them establish their own aesthetic instead of trying to replicate Team Silent's vision. It would at least feel more honest and not a carbon copy. I want a new experience.

People are hyped because Kojima and his team are equipped and skilled people and going by their work on Metal Gear, extremely attentive to details and have great artists. This is easily the most optimistic situation that Silent Hill has seen in a long while. For the time being it's fine to be excited as it was a really shocking and interesting reveal, and Kojima is no slouch.

StuBurns

Banned
So what... two hills now? what's up with that? are they rebooting the franchise by adding a plural? Sounds cool, but not the people I would expect for a SH game, Kojima's games are like low-end action movies in terms of script and del Toro films... I don't know, his creatures are good, but the overall themes of his body of work doesn't come close to SH, Kojima either. This is going to be a mainstream horror reboot, i doubt it will maintain the same type of fucked-upness 1-3 had.
As much as I love SH1-3, they really just borrowed extremely heavily from the horror genre of film, this game already has the Eraserhead baby. It's true that the Metal Gears are 'low-end action', but that's because that's where he took inspiration, that will obviously not be the case here.

Cosmozone

Where is the video without the commentary again? I clicked on the youtube link and canceled it barely soon enough to avoid getting my hype killed!

Cudder

Can someone piece what the story (at least in PT) was about? I honestly was too floored/scared to pay attention to what the radio was saying.

Vidpixel

Is no one else in awe at the graphics fidelity of P.T ?

This is basically a CG movie in real-time.

The lighting and depth of field were both fantastic, but the darkness of the overall game does hide a lot, so it's hard to really judge. But yeah, even from just a brief glance, it looks great.

mekes

I'm still in a bit of shock about this announcement, I thought the series was dead after the last few games. Which would of course been a disgraceful way for such a series to go out! The shock is also that they are seemingly taking it so seriously, based on the names involved with the project.

I think we have every right to expect a fantastic Silent Hill game based on what has been shared :D

RedAssedApe

Banned
Why seems everybody to be so hyped about this game? It's just one more silent hill game that is not being done by team silent. Will be the same like downpour / shattered memories / homecoming.

I have no faith that there will ever be a silent hill game again that captures the spirit of the real silent hill games.

the same reason why anyone gets hyped when a new game in one of their favorite franchises gets announced :p

some of us hold on to hope. that and the teaser was well done.

melkier33

I think Reedus will have a cameo in MGSV.

BtWs39nCEAAAPQz.jpg:large

BtV0IkZCUAE4Q7s.jpg:large

Is this Trolljimas way of announcing a new godzilla game?

SkylineRKR

Can someone piece what the story (at least in PT) was about? I honestly was too floored/scared to pay attention to what the radio was saying.

It seemed to me that it was about a family drama. There has been an execution in the bathroom and there is a vengeful spirit of a mother and a laughing baby.

From discussion looks like
man loses his job. Becomes an alcoholic. Wife gets job as a waitress, starts having an affair with the boss. Becomes pregnant. Husband finds out and murders her, stabs her stomach and removes the fetus. Her vengeful ghost is that haunting the house

Maybe Norman Reedus is related to them or he's completely unrelated. Who knows.

[HP]

I'm still in a bit of shock about this announcement, I thought the series was dead after the last few games. Which would of course been a disgraceful way for such a series to go out! The shock is also that they are seemingly taking it so seriously, based on the names involved with the project.

I think we have every right to expect a fantastic Silent Hill game based on what has been shared :D

This!!

I'm so hyped, loved the PT.

Xpliskin

Their scanning tech should become the norm.

They were right when they said artists can't really capture shape and surface details as accurately as scanning them directly.

Look closely at the candy bag, the cans, the bottles, the coat rack... those are very simple objects yet they felt very real.

The photo-realism reached is unlike anything I've seen in real-time, excluding racing games. This feels like a pixar demo.
Then again it's a L-shaped corridor in first-person looping a few times with a single enemy.

Thing is, scanning hardware is very expensive.

Vibranium

Banned
Kojima and Del Toro is extremely amazing, I hope this game shapes up nicely. I had been hoping Hideo would be involved in some way, let's see if SH can really strike a chord.

And I really like Norman Reedus, so hopefully he does a good job voicing.

cerulily

Anyone who is invoking any silent hill game post "the room" really needs to step back and realize why this game has a lot more to be excited about.

This is the first time since Silent Hill 4 that there has been a dev team with a proven track record for quality placed on its production. With the directorial talent to be both visually interesting and mechanically engaging. Silent Hill games other than 2 have never had out of this world writing. All we need is a competent story wrapped in an other wise good game, and it will literally be better than anything this series has seen in almost a decade.

dramatis

Isn't the "S" at the end a play on "5".

Silent Hill5
Silent Hills

BkMogul

How the heck can you come to that conclusion? The talent involved alone will guarantee this is different from post-Team Silent games (and all of them had their pros and cons). Seems that "real" SH games are Team Silent-produced, and then there's everything else.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Owaku writing dating sims for mobile still hurts, how can one of the most talented writers in the media be degraded to such trash job?

They were probably absorbed into KojiPro as soon Konami disolved the team.

That makes me more excited for Silent Hill5

A-V-B

Seems that "real" SH games are Team Silent-produced, and then there's everything else.

Well, yes. The first three games were works of art by very specific, special artists. It's less like a movie studio and more like a rock band. The band is still called Silent Hill, but every single original member is gone.

Imagine a band calling itself Pink Floyd and no one from the band was present. But they tried really hard to make it sound like the old albums. I wouldn't call it a Pink Floyd album just because it had the same name. But it might be a nice tribute, and they could develop their own sound if they wanted to.

Top Bottom