• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U trailer

RagnarokX

Still really annoyed by the lack of verticality in this game. Being able to fly and find secrets in the sky was an extremely welcome return in NSMB2, but getting rid of it again is extremely disappointing.

And the Tiny Mushroom power up has NEVER BEEN FUN, I don't get why they keep reusing.

It appears to have the same amount of verticality as NSMBWii/NSMB2, which had the same/more verticality as/than SMW. It's just this game can zoom out.

JaseMath

newsupermariobrosubox3sb3l.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/new-super-mario-bros-us-boxart-revealed

That's nice. :)

The Wii U GamePad controller offers a new way to experience multiplayer Mario fun. Create Boost Blocks out of thin air to help players navigate tricky stages or access hidden orhard-to-reach items, and distract onscreen enemies, all with the tap of their finger or stylus.

Swoop through levels and cling to walls when Mario transforms into Flying Squirrel Mario, or gently float through the air while hanging onto Balloon Baby Yoshi.

Boost Mode also makes cooperative speed runs possible for the first time. Use the GamePad to interact with and manipulate enemies and objects in real time, and discover new ways to find the fastest route through each stage.

In addition to the main Story Mode, in which players must rescue Princess Peach, New Super Mario Bros. U features three more exciting game modes, including: ◦ Boost Rush: Using Boost Mode, two to five players work together to clear many different courses in the fastest time possible. The scene auto scrolls, forcing you to move ahead through the course. As you collect more coins, the scene scrolls faster. Once you’ve completed your run, you can watch a replay of other players’ Boost Rush to help strategize for your next attempt. ◦ Challenge Mode: Numerous single-player and multiplayer challenges incorporate a series of familiar Super Mario gameplay concepts in a fun, competitive way. These challenges offer high replay value as players try to achieve the best score and unlock new challenges. Boost Mode Challenges help players practice the teamwork necessary for effective Boost Mode gameplay. After finishing, players can watch a replay of their Challenge to strategize for next time.

Play on the big screen or the small screen. Switch single-player gameplay from the TV to the GamePad at any time to continue playing even when others are using the TV.

Families and friends can experience Mario together like never before with Miiverse. See other players’ comments and accomplishments while you play, and leave your own feedback for others to see when connected to the Nintendo Network (broadband Internet access required).

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/hf_6AALqLd22OOdNFfAmJVGEfQ7pTpke

Nintendo GAF Pre 2012: Graphics don't matter, no one cares about HD.

Nintendo GAF Post 2012: Another Mario Brothers game but this time at a 720p resolution. Looks absolutely amazing!

Red UFO

Does the person using the gamepad HAVE to use it to draw the blocks and stuff, or can they just play as a character? (e.g. if a family on has 3 wii remotes, could the gamepad be used as a 4th with no block placing)

GCX

I hate to be a debbie-downer, but that framerate looks noticeably bad.

Artstyle, level design and the challenges look great, but wow can you ever notice the difference between 60 and 30 FPS in this game.
Youtube videos are 30fps.

Like the first reply said, there goes the challenge :p

Joke post? You realize another person is going to be making the platforms...getting to the level where he knows exactly where to make them while you're jumping and navigating is probably going to be a challenge in itself

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Nintendo GAF Post 2012: Another Mario Brothers game but this time at a 720p resolution. Looks absolutely amazing!

This the most disingenuous thing on GAF in the last month, and that's saying something.

This is by far the best looking New Super Mario Bros. game, but if you are REQUIRED to use the block placing gimmick in order to 100% it I'm going to have to pass. I don't have anybody to play with, placing blocks on your own in single player (is that even possible?) seems clumsy and tedious, and having to miss out on content because of something like that would be stupid.

I'm very hopeful that this won't be the case though, because everything else about the game looks excellent.

Oh yeah, because no one is raving about the powerups or the connected world map or any of the gameplay features, right? Why don't you take your bag of salt somewhere else. Here's some slugs. Go entertain yourself

JaseMath

I'll admit - it looks better than I thought. I'll buy it when I pick up the system, but unfortunately, it's not a killer app.

gosox333

Why would they release 2 and this so close together? I'm not bitching about the games themselves, but they picked a terrible time to drop 2. That should've been a 3DS launch title.

demidar

You sound salty, you should come into the Bayo 2 thread so other people's salt can drown out yours.

Tookay

These generalizations never make sense, and usually take two completely different people and treat them as one entity.

Galang

Banned
Does the person using the gamepad HAVE to use it to draw the blocks and stuff, or can they just play as a character? (e.g. if a family on has 3 wii remotes, could the gamepad be used as a 4th with no block placing)

I'd like to know this as well :S

I dunno man, I think of how Mario 64 launched alongside a new console with its entire 3D world and full analogue controls perfectly accustomed to it.

Now we have another Mario game launching on a new console with another brand new control method which again offers the potential of a new play style and..... you can place blocks with it in the levels.

Like.... that's really shit! Isn't it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The world map looks fucking awesome. I've been dying for that kind of thing for a long time now. Really makes progression through the game more interesting.

Now we have another Mario game launching on a new console with another brand new control method which again offers the potential of a new play style and..... you can place blocks with it in the levels.

Not at all. There's really not a whole lot they could do differently that wouldn't spoil the Mario experience, as far as I'm concerned.

somebody gif the world map from the Nintendo direct

Thank you

I dunno man, I think of how Mario 64 launched alongside a new console with its entire 3D world and full analogue controls perfectly accustomed to it.

What do you want them to do, invent 4D analog controls this time? Maybe 4d Mario is their new innovation for 2013

Top Bottom