• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Surface Book Announced. 1.9TF GPU, i7, 16 Hour Battery Life

bomblord1

Banned
It was announced at the current live stream http://news.microsoft.com/microsoft-event-2016/#u59eA3DSLKG3x4OM.97

They claim it's for Gamers and Content Creators. Price is $2400

Edit: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...rosofts-laptop-gets-new-16-hour-battery-life/
Screen-Shot-2016-10-26-at-11.13.53-AM-800x500.png

NEW YORK—Today, Microsoft announced the newest version of its Surface Book, the Surface Book i7. The company has added a bunch of internal upgrades including an impressive 16-hour battery life.

All of these features are designed to meet the needs of different kinds of users, from gamers to digital artists, to on-the-go professionals. The hardware upgrades along with the Windows 10 Creators Update coming next spring should make this a powerful tool for all kinds of creatives. The Surface Book i7 will be available for preorder in November for $2,399.

Double Edit:
Since people keep missing it.. the dGPU is a GTX 965M

8C7qWNe.png

Essentially a 2 year old chip.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
"For the gamers?" For $2400 you can buy something a hell of a lot more powerful than this.

Fancolors

I have a Surface Pro 3 and love it to death. 16 hours battery is making me wanna upgrade to whatever MS is going to announce.

It will probably be too expensive for me tho

Wollan

How does that GPU performance compare to 980m or 1080m?

This might become my new work computer. But no numpad... not sure I can live with that (even a virtual one).

LewieP

Since this is "for gamers", am I right in assuming that this is going to meet the recommended specs for Microsoft's recent PC games?

yllekz

Banned
Costs nearly a grand more than my fully souped up desktop which out-specs this thing. Microsoft, you dun fucked up on a colossal scale.

DieH@rd

Banned
Costs nearly a grand more than my fully souped up desktop which out-specs this thing. Microsoft, you dun fucked up on a colossal scale.

?

This is not a desktop. This is a laptop. Price comparisons make no sense between those two tech categries.

Holy crap, I didn't know this event was happening!

What all arte they supposed to be announcing?

I have been waiting for the surface phone for ages.

Just tuned in to the stream. Oh goodness that art tablet!... Drool.

NEO0MJ

?

This is not a desktop. This is a laptop. Price comparisons make no sense between those two tech categries.

I do wonder what its full specs are, considering they're marketing this thing for GPU intensive users. I don't think there's a dedicated GPU that fits in its small frame.

I do wonder what its full specs are, considering they're marketing this thing for GPU intensive users. I don't think there's a dedicated GPU that fits in its small frame.
They managed to fit a 940m into the last one somehow. Considering they fact 10xx series gpus are even smaller and more efficient it shouldn't be an issue.

They claim it's for Gamers and Content Creators. Price is $2400

You're joking right? There's much better Gaming Laptops that cost less than that.
I'll chalk it up-to the small form factor of the device.

kneePat

They managed to fit a 940m into the last one somehow. Considering they fact 10xx series gpus are even smaller and more efficient it shouldn't be an issue.

They're using a GTX 965M here.

The first Surface Book (which I use) has a dGPU in the keyboard part (along with most of the batteries). I would assume that this refresh has a similar setup with more current dGPU.

GM204 is a 2 year old chip, don't think you can call it current.

ElNino

The first Surface Book (which I use) has a dGPU in the keyboard part (along with most of the batteries). I would assume that this refresh has a similar setup with more current dGPU.

Skilletor

I was hoping it'd be possible to just buy new keyboards and keep the screen.

NEO0MJ

Oh, I see. I thought all the components were squeezed inside the screen. Didn't know some were split off.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
To give credit where credit is due, the Book is a heavenly laptop. The detaching is magical, using it for reading manga or books is just... unreplicable. Touching that thing just feels good.

Now the other part. Where it's amazingly grossly expensive. I bought one from Best Buy and returned it at the end of the return period then immediately turned around and made my awesome desktop with it. And for... $2,700-ish, you could do so much more.

Especially with that apparently not 1000's series GPU (unless it is one?).

You're joking right? There's much better Gaming Laptops that cost less than that.
I'll chalk it up-to the small form factor of the device.

Pretty much. Getting all that computing power in a laptop is one thing. It's a whole other to get it in a detachable tablet with still decent thermals. This is less "for gamers" and more "for content creators who also like playing games", probably more specifically gaming streamers. This seems even more so considering the integrated OS streaming support in the new update.

Lazaro

It's pretty obvious (going by his expression) that High-End PC gamers aren't wholly considered a target to sell this device to, but were vocal enough to ask for more Surface Book Gaming performance for gaming.

Top Bottom