• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Surface Book Announced. 1.9TF GPU, i7, 16 Hour Battery Life

I just pulled the trigger on this deliciousness (MSI GE72VR), but I'm not as wow'ed by it as I thought I would be when I opened my game library and realized I had next to nothing that really required that much power. I think I just want a productivity laptop more than I want a gaming laptop right now. My partner-in-crime has the ridiculously expensive i7/1TB Surfacebook and she couldn't be happier with it. I could probably bribe her to let me toy around with it for a few hours. And, I really wanted to go into NaNoWriMo with some new kit, but the new Surfacebook won't be available until later in the month. I'd have to chew on a Chromebook for the time being, adding another $200.

Unfortunately, you just know that $2,400 Surfacebook is going to be the 256GB SSD, with the 1 TB breaking $3k again. Ugh.

Levyne

Banned
I just pulled the trigger on this deliciousness (MSI GE72VR), but I'm not as wow'ed by it as I thought I would be when I opened my game library and realized I had next to nothing that really required that much power. I think I just want a productivity laptop more than I want a gaming laptop right now. My partner-in-crime has the ridiculously expensive i7/1TB Surfacebook and she couldn't be happier with it. I could probably bribe her to let me toy around with it for a few hours. And, I really wanted to go into NaNoWriMo with some new kit, but the new Surfacebook won't be available until later in the month. I'd have to chew on a Chromebook for the time being, adding another $200.

Unfortunately, you just know that $2,400 Surfacebook is going to be the 256GB SSD, with the 1 TB breaking $3k again. Ugh.

Yep.

256 SSD 8 gb = 2400
512 SSD 16 gb = 2800
1 TB SSD 16 gb = 3300

I'll probably shoot for the lowest option imo. I have enough storage drives in the desktop /closet / cloud that 256 is plenty for the laptop.

Rodin

Not sure why they went with the 965M, competitors have used this GPU in older and cheaper laptops. The new Razer Blade has a 1060 and it's a very thin, lightweight, 14" ultrabook that retails for much less and i personally think that it looks even better. No thanks Microsoft.

Hellgardia

Curious to why they went with Maxwell. Lack of enough Pascal chips by the time they needed them?
Also, 2400$ and only 256GB ssd?...

It's kind of interesting how they dropped the lower tiers now. I guess everyone only wanted one with a dedicated GPU. Anyone know how hard it is to replace the SSD on your own?

Sony

Nintendo
You're joking right? There's much better Gaming Laptops that cost less than that.
I'll chalk it up-to the small form factor of the device.

Yeah, if you want it to look like this:

top-4-gaming-laptops-under-1000-for-2015.jpg

Yep.

256 SSD 8 gb = 2400
512 SSD 16 gb = 2800
1 TB SSD 16 gb = 3300

I'll probably shoot for the lowest option imo. I have enough storage drives in the desktop /closet / cloud that 256 is plenty for the laptop.

A. Let's say you can expain the $2400 base model in a satisfying way (doubtful, but benefit of the doubt). How in the flying fuck does MS justify the $500 difference between the 512 GB SSD and the 1 TB? The $900 increase over the 256/8 is just as baffling.

That has to be mostly profit, right?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be caught dead with that monstrosity. Would rather spend a bit more and get something sleek and premium.

Laptop gaming is such a farce.

I'm not sure a few here understand the market MS is aiming this at. If you're making snide comments about cost/performance/etc it's clearly not aimed at you and that's ok. Some people drive an Accord and others drive an S class. The two can coexist.

Have you seen the Razer Blade? Thing is incredibly thin for the hardware and unbelievably sleek. Plus it's cheaper too I'm pretty sure.

Does it have a detachable screen I can use as a tablet around the office?

Levyne

Banned
I'm not sure a few here understand the market MS is aiming this at. If you're making snide comments about cost/performance/etc it's clearly not aimed at you and that's ok. Some people drive an Accord and others drive an S class. The two can coexist.

To be fair, I feel like microsoft shouldnt have mentioned "for the gamer", but I get why they did. But now people are fixated on the gpu of the thing, I feel.

If I got one of these, it would be more expensive than my gtx 1080 gaming pc, but I wouldn't be expecting this to replace it.

Ac30

Oh I agree it's for different applications; I was just giving an example of a laptop that doesn't scream GAM3R. The detachable screen is incredibly useful when required.

dLMN8R

No kidding. You can build a very decent gaming PC that will last you a decade or more at that price range.

Very cool! I didn't realize that you can build gaming PCs these days which have integrated 3000x2000 displays, weighed under 4lbs, and had a detachable screen you could use as a 13.5" 1.6lb tablet at any time!

Where can I buy those gaming PCs? And when was the last one that lasted a decade?

Sony

Nintendo
Also, keep in mind that Surface products were never indended to compete with existing offerings in terms of price, but be a premium alternatives to show what is possible. So if you liked what the Surface Book showed and dediced to go for a Razer Blade because of that (price/performance conciderations) then Microsoft already succeeded in their objective. They want you to buy a Windows laptop, not neccecarily a Surface product.

Very cool! I didn't realize that you can build gaming PCs these days which have integrated 3000x2000 displays, weighed under 4lbs, and had a detachable screen you could use as a 13.5" 1.6lb tablet at any time!

Where can I buy those gaming PCs? And when was the last one that lasted a decade?

People also forget that a lot of folks with disposable income do want to pay some
extra to have a more premium looking device. I rather have a more premium looking device these days then back when i was a student and all that counted was performance/$ in shaky gaming laptop case.

Have you seen the Razer Blade? Thing is incredibly thin for the hardware and unbelievably sleek. Plus it's cheaper too I'm pretty sure.

I have the 2015 Razer Blade. I love it, but it's super loud when doing anything remotely stressful and has a mediocre battery life even when not gaming. I doubt that the SB1.5 is quiet as a mouse or lasts 16 hours when running that CPU and GPU at full power, but it's probably leagues better than the Blade in those departments.

Dark-VIII

For 2000$ yiu can get an I7 6700K with GTX 1080 and 16 gb of ram with every other needed parts excluding the screen which you can get with 400$

KonradLaw

Seems nice, but lol at the part about it being for gamers. As always Microsoft shows that it has zero idea about pcgaming :D

Rootbeer

Banned
It's worked well for Apple....

You are right. But I think this just goes to show the arrogance on MS's part, that they can ask Apple prices when their mindshare is nowhere near at the same level... they need to compete on price better than this. Or if you are going to charge this kind of price, please make it top of the line.

I want to buy a really nice Windows notebook soon and I'm not sure this is it. Probably not. Maybe the next Surface Pro will entice me.

Heysoos

Seems nice, but lol at the part about it being for gamers. As always Microsoft shows that it has zero idea about pcgaming :D

How so? The 965m isn't exactly a slouch. Especially for the form factor and the fact that it can be a detachable tablet. This seems more like a refresh to hold over for the Surface Book 2.

this was more of a spec refresh than any sort of redesign... not even adding USB C support. If they sold the keyboard alone this would be a day one buy for me...

but as it stands i'll wait for the next revision which should have:

Kaby Lake CPU
Pascal GPU
Some USB Type C ports
Maybe a full SD slot instead of a half
a design where the hinge closes all the way to prevent dust build up on the keyboard.

that's my wishlist anyway.

still love it, but boy if I don't yearn to always be on the bleeding edge. My wallet thanks me this year tho.

KonradLaw

How so? The 965m isn't exactly a slouch. Especially for the form factor and the fact that it can be a detachable tablet. This seems more like a refresh to hold over for the Surface Book 2.

965 is weak for laptop claiming to be for gamers and the resolution of screen is also pretty bad idea. That gpu won't handle it natively at that res and 1920x will look bad on it because of scalling. To get good quality of image you will need to cut the screen res in four

Coffinhal

It's not really for gamers. It's for occasional gaming, it's a bonus, it's not a Razor or Alienware or whatever. It's for people who need the best screen, something that can work as a tablet and can last a day or a day and a half without recharching. Also design is important.

I'll gladly replace my Macbook with this (I mean the version from 2015 at 1400€) if Apple doesn't come with something as good soon.

edit : just saw that Apple is going full USB-C on the next MacbookPro, without MagSafe (the useful magnet for recharge), I don't want to have 35 adapters with me thank you very much

Doffen

You are right. But I think this just goes to show the arrogance on MS's part, that they can ask Apple prices when their mindshare is nowhere near at the same level... they need to compete on price better than this. Or if you are going to charge this kind of price, please make it top of the line.

I want to buy a really nice Windows notebook soon and I'm not sure this is it. Probably not. Maybe the next Surface Pro will entice me.

They clearly don't need it compete on price.

Surface Book and for that matter Surface Studio is design for a high-end niche marked.

Rappy

965 is weak for laptop claiming to be for gamers and the resolution of screen is also pretty bad idea. That gpu won't handle it natively at that res and 1920x will look bad on it because of scalling. To get good quality of image you will need to cut the screen res in four
Or you know, it's not trying to do that at all. Just watch the section of the presentation dealing with the Surface Book.

boltz

Damn, a bunch of folks are acting like they've never seen a four figure laptop before. Sure, there are cheaper alternatives, but not with the same packaging and specs. This device is out of my price range, but I can appreciate all the hardware that's stuffed into the form factor.

AR15mex

Just out of curiosity isnt the ps4 2.3 TF? In other words they are selling ps4 level graphics for a lot of maneeeeey!!!

bomblord1

Banned
Just out of curiosity isnt the ps4 2.3 TF? In other words they are selling ps4 level graphics for a lot of maneeeeey!!!

PS4 is 1.8TF and is outperformed by an Nvidia 750ti this which this is better than.

This should be above PS4 level in multiplats

AR15mex

Gestault

If you travel and have the disposable income, this is a rock-solid offering. Comparisons to desktops are out-of-place, and there's a gulf in quality/support when it comes to the high-end laptop market.

ty_hot

People complaining about price... The base model costs a lot but nothing else gives the same quality and premium feel. The jump in proce for adding ram or ssd is bery big as well, but its comparable to the iphone 32 to 64 gb of space as well. Everything is within the industry tendency. It is just sad that 95% of us dont have the money for it.

Top Bottom