• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Surface Book Announced. 1.9TF GPU, i7, 16 Hour Battery Life

Wollan

I'm suspecting this is a middle of the road step prior to releasing a SurfaceBook 2 in late spring.
Will wait it out.

Skilletor

Then it isn't for Gamers, MS. It's for the Macbook crowd that are too dumb to get a Macbook.

Macbook doesn't have half the utility that my surfacebook does.

And I can play games on it, too.

I won't get this because I have a 1st gen, but it's definitely appealing. I can run SF5 at low settings on my Surface Book. It's very appealing to think that I would have a nice, portable fighting game setup on the same laptop I use for work, art, reading books and comicbooks, etc.

ElNino

> For gamers
> 2GB VRAM
> $2400

Yeah no
You are taking the "For Gamers" part too literally. No, this isn't for what GAF considers a "Gamer" in that you won't be playing high end modern games or VR on it. For someone who wants a good laptop, that can double as a tablet in a pinch, has a pen, good battery life and can play some games on it (but not necessarily their primary gaming device)... the Surface Book is a great option.

ukas

You are taking the "For Gamers" part too literally. No, this isn't for what GAF considers a "Gamer" in that you won't be playing high end modern games or VR on it. For someone who wants a good laptop, that can double as a tablet in a pinch, has a pen, good battery life and can play some games on it (but not necessarily their primary gaming device)... the Surface Book is a great option.

lol not for $2400.

For $2400 I should be able to play BF1 at max settings on this thing. No way is this a great option for that price.

ElNino

lol not for $2400.
In what way? This is very comparably priced to it's direct competition (MBP, Dell XPS line, etc).

For $2400 I should be able to play BF1 at max settings on this thing. No way is this a great option for that price.
You missed the entire point then if you are looking to play BF1 at max settings. You need to forget the "For Gamers" comment from a GAF point of view.

Sounds quite expensive to me. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable spending more than a thousand dollars on a laptop.

But then, I suppose this isn't aimed at me. Don't see how it's aimed at gamers though... The price/performance ratio isn't pretty.

Caelus

635958478612819553-557423033_tumblr_m7bx203RpE1r5r8duo6_r1_500.gif

Calen

The Surface Book is by far and away the best laptop I have ever owned. Its screen is ridiculous (3000 x 2000), the battery life is great, the keyboard feels fantastic.. I love mine.

I can sit in my back yard and code for hours and hours at a time without even thinking about having to go inside. I might have a problem.

Levyne

Banned
I want one.

You guys are reading way to into the "for gamers' if you're expecting this to compete with a 1070 or whatever. Having purchased a gaming laptop in the past, ugh, I never want to game on a laptop again.

Skogsbär

Neo Member
This was an interesting product until I saw that is not a Pascal GPU, so I'll pass on this. I was hoping for a Surface Pro 5 announcement (with Kaby Lake), I guess they will announce it in the spring?

And for everyone complaining about "for the gamers", it's not targeted exclusively to gamers. It's an all-round product. Sure it's expensive, but there isn't any product on the market (yet) that can do everything that this can do. EDIT: and in the same form factor.

Also why isn't anybody mentioning the battery life? 16 hours is amazing, even if you factor in that it's under optimal conditions.

Izayoi

Banned
Looks hot. Great deal when compared like-for-like to competing high-end laptops.

Obviously not for gamers, though... Not sure what they were thinking with that.

Might just be me but I don't have a place in my life for a $2400 laptop.

Seems that the job of a $2400 laptop could be accomplished better with more and less-expensive items

It certainly occupies a unique space in the form factor/battery life/GPU power spectrum, I'm sure. Anything with a better GPU is going to be thicker and probably have less battery life. And anything else that's even close to as thin as the SB is going to have an integrated GPU that's a faction as good as a 965M- even the Razer Blade Stealth has an integrated GPU, it can only do decent gaming when plugged into an external GPU.

I mean, it's pretty clearly not meant for the "I want to play games at max settings and 60fps" crowd so much as the "I want to play games at decent settings/framerate on a machine that isn't massive and doesn't run out of battery in two hours of gaming" crowd.

ElNino

It certainly occupies a unique space in the form factor/battery life/GPU power spectrum, I'm sure. Anything with a better GPU is going to be thicker and probably have less battery life. And anything else that's even close to as thin as the SB is going to have an integrated GPU that's a faction as good as a 965M- even the Razer Blade Stealth has an integrated GPU, it can only do decent gaming when plugged into an external GPU.

I mean, it's pretty clearly not meant for the "I want to play games at max settings and 60fps" crowd so much as the "I want to play games at decent settings/framerate on a machine that isn't massive and doesn't run out of battery in two hours of gaming" crowd.
That sums up the Surface Book line fairly well. It (Surface Book) actually has an integrated GPU in the tablet portion that is used the majority of the time, and a dGPU in the keyboard base (along with a battery) which only kicks on when needed.

You can absolutely get a laptop with better raw performance for cheaper, but it will be much heavier, thicker and have worse battery life. It also (likely) won't be detachable and usable as a tablet or have pen support. The Surface Book (and even the Pro), does a lot of things well but will undoubtedly lose to other devices at singular functions.

For me, it was the ideal laptop that I was looking for and a great upgrade to the Surface Pro I was using. Yes, it is expensive but I couldn't find another device that I liked more that was appreciably less.

wildfire

Banned

The thing is that unlike the Studio which is fine with a 965 at 3K I would expect a laptop maker to go above and beyond in battery efficiency.

They could've gone with a 1050 instead of the 965. Similar power but the 1050 will allow you to game much longer.

Rappy

That sums up the Surface Book line fairly well. It (Surface Book) actually has an integrated GPU in the tablet portion that is used the majority of the time, and a dGPU in the keyboard base (along with a battery) which only kicks on when needed.

You can absolutely get a laptop with better raw performance for cheaper, but it will be much heavier, thicker and have worse battery life. It also (likely) won't be detachable and usable as a tablet or have pen support. The Surface Book (and even the Pro), does a lot of things well but will undoubtedly lose to other devices at singular functions.

For me, it was the ideal laptop that I was looking for and a great upgrade to the Surface Pro I was using. Yes, it is expensive but I couldn't find another device that I liked more that was appreciably less.
The Surface Book is a premium product for a premium price and it seems to be a good/fair one to me. This new model/config is just an increase in specs/performance to their i7 line. They do not even say it was something made or marketed specifically for gamers. They said they listened to feedback from gamers about the Surface Book that they wanted a more powerful dGPU so they added one. This really is stretching it for being in Gaming Discussion.

It looks like they haven't completely gotten rid of the gap from the hinge though. But what I want to know if it'll have a port capable of supporting those external GPU setups. I'll likely be sticking to my desktop for gaming but it'd be nice to know if I ever pick up a Surface Book.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The GPU is still pretty capable.
I would advise waiting for a Pascal refresh though.

Why would you finance anything that loses value? People finance shit all the time.

What does financing have to do with anything?
The price is the price. (or worse if you actually do finance this at something other than 0%)

ElNino

The thing is that unlike the Studio which is fine with a 965 at 3K I would expect a laptop maker to go above and beyond in battery efficiency.

They could've gone with a 1050 instead of the 965. Similar power but the 1050 will allow you to game much longer.
That's reasonable, but I don't know much about the perf differences between the 9xx and 10xx lines. It seems as they went with a more powerful card, but stayed within the same line. I'm not sure if that is because they wanted to stay away from "bleeding edge" to avoid issues like they saw with the new Intel chips in the SP4 and Book, but sure it would be nice to have the latest comparable GPU in it.

CronoShot

can this run oculus?

I once benched my Dell XPS 15 with a 960M to check if it could. It wasn't even remotely close to minimum requirements.

Looking at benchmarks, there's not enough of an increase from 960M to 965M to make much of a difference in that regard.

Top Bottom