• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 information from Gamestar

Staf

This is why i want a game focus on just a single player, multiplayer just waste content in my openion with this kind of game, the 200 hours of gameplay proves this game is pack with content and im really excited.

It may be packed with content but the question is the quality of said content. Dragon age is also packed with content but only 5% of is remotely interesting, rest is fetch quest and chasing icons on the map.

I really hope this game is good but i will remain sceptical about the quality of the majority of the content until i play it. Just don't want a Witcher game in the mold of a Ubisoft/Bioware game.

Daverid

It may be packed with content but the question is the quality of said content. Dragon age is also packed with content but only 5% of is remotely interesting, rest is fetch quest and chasing icons on the map.

I really hope this game is good but i will remain sceptical about the quality of the majority of the content until i play it. Just don't want a Witcher game in the mold of a Ubisoft/Bioware game.

I do think they're blowing the 200 hours out of proportion, and Chris Priestly even commented on this on the official forums. His entire comment could essentially be boiled down to, "Everyone will play the game differently, and some people will take 50 hours, others might take 200 and some perhaps even more than that". The best metric to go on is still the one they've stated the most over the years, and that is 50 hours Main Story, 50 hours Side Quests.
Considering The Witcher 2 was a 30-50 Hour game, add another 10-15 on top of that for entirely new content you miss because of choices/consequences and they were STILL able to achieve some of the best questing in any RPG, with the least amount of generic, boring collecting/fetch/kill shit I've ever experienced. I personally believe they've got skilled enough Quest Designers and Writers to be able to pull it off in The Witcher 3 (And the increase in developers at the studio) and create 100 hours of actual interesting content.

Although I do also completely understand folk who are sceptical about it. It's their first foray into an open world, and we've seen some awful examples over the years of games tacking on bloated, shitty content to fill their (open) worlds (Ubisoft, DA:I, and even going back to Skyrim), which gives enough reason to be cautioned.
As you said, all anyone can do is wait until May 19 and find out. Nobody really knew for sure if DA:I was going to feature so much shit until it actually released, and the same might be the case in TW3, but I sincerely hope not.

erawsd

I do think they're blowing the 200 hours out of proportion, and Chris Priestly even commented on this on the official forums. His entire comment could essentially be boiled down to, "Everyone will play the game differently, and some people will take 50 hours, others might take 200 and some perhaps even more than that". The best metric to go on is still the one they've stated the most over the years, and that is 50 hours Main Story, 50 hours Side Quests.
Considering The Witcher 2 was a 30-50 Hour game, add another 10-15 on top of that for entirely new content you miss because of choices/consequences and they were STILL able to achieve some of the best questing in any RPG, with the least amount of generic, boring collecting/fetch/kill shit I've ever experienced. I personally believe they've got skilled enough Quest Designers and Writers to be able to pull it off in The Witcher 3 (And the increase in developers at the studio) and create 100 hours of actual interesting content.

Although I do also completely understand folk who are sceptical about it. It's their first foray into an open world, and we've seen some awful examples over the years of games tacking on bloated, shitty content to fill their (open) worlds (Ubisoft, DA:I, and even going back to Skyrim), which gives enough reason to be cautioned.
As you said, all anyone can do is wait until May 19 and find out. Nobody really knew for sure if DA:I was going to feature so much shit until it actually released, and the same might be the case in TW3, but I sincerely hope not.

Yeah, that 200 hour number is not an average play through, likely closer to a platinum trophy run where you will likely end up doing some more mundane things like collecting all 150 Gwent cards.

I agree that the 100hours theyve boasted in the past seems doable to me just because they appear to be very cognizant of it. Since they announced the game its been one of the key things theyve wanted to avoid. You can dig up GDC speeches from years ago where they talked about open world quest design. Of course just because they want to avoid those doesnt mean they wont have some other type of filler content. For instance, some journalists have expressed concern over the heavy use of Witcher senses during quests. Weve seen two different quests that have Geralt on Griffin hunts... is there a lot of repeating monsters for the hunts? Even if the quest itself is drastically different, fighting an identical enemy would take something away from it.

Exclusive Gamestop map that comes with the Collector's Prima Stratagy Guide. Bad resolution, but it's the non-stylized version.

102798_bonusLG.jpg

A little sad that the majority of towns are completly invented, but what are you gonna do.
The game will still be great and I cant wait to visit oxenfurt and Novigrad. I hope the have captured the walls circling the university campus full of shops from Oxenfurt. Loved that description in the books.

Mr.Mike

I wonder if this game might make it mainstream. Certainly there seems to be popular demand for medieval open-world games like this, given Skyrim's success.

I'm glad they're changing the potion crafting system, it was done poorly in tw2

Curious to see how much different those ultra graphics settings are from the other footage from a while ago (some of which looked downright bad, not even bad compared to the original footage, just bad)

Graphics aside, I'm most concerned about the gameplay though... I hope they did a TON of work on the combat (a total redo would be nice)
Looting jank and shitty potion system aside, the main thing that put a huge damper on witcher 2 for me was the bad combat.

Lunar15

I'm glad they're changing the potion crafting system, it was done poorly in tw2

Curious to see how much different those ultra graphics settings are from the other footage from a while ago (some of which looked downright bad, not even bad compared to the original footage, just bad)

Graphics aside, I'm most concerned about the gameplay though... I hope they did a TON of work on the combat (a total redo would be nice)
Looting jank and shitty potion system aside, the main thing that put a huge damper on witcher 2 for me was the bad combat.

Everything I've heard is that the recent patches to TW2 were made to make the combat somewhat reflect how it was going to work in 3. If you didn't like it there, I wouldn't hold out hope that it's going to be much better here.

tuxfool

Banned
Everything I've heard is that the recent patches to TW2 were made to make the combat somewhat reflect how it was going to work in 3. If you didn't like it there, I wouldn't hold out hope that it's going to be much better here.

They weren't patches. It was more specifically a mod called Total Combat Rebalance.

They hired to mod creator to work on the combat in W3.

Denton

Sure. Point stands that people who didn't like TW2 combat proooobably won't be sold on TW3's either.

How about we let the game get released and played before making sweeping judgements, even if they use the word proooobably.

Ushay

I wonder if this game might make it mainstream. Certainly there seems to be popular demand for medieval open-world games like this, given Skyrim's success.

I's say it will definitely hit mainstream. One of my relatives, is a true casual, knows next to fuck all when it comes games, release dates, developers etc said to me the other day .. 'Have you seen that game Witcher or something coming out, it looks sick' .. and I was like wow, had no idea Witcher hit this level of popularity (much deserved too!)

misho8723

Banned
I really liked the combat in W2 - mostly that type which they changed in patches.. after Souls series in my opnion the best combat in any action-RPG game. loved toplay the Arena mode.. on the other hand, I cannot believe how bad the combat is in the Elder Scrolls game series, but I see people enjoing him aswell, so what do I know :D

With few tweaks to the combat style from W2, and this time it can be really great

erawsd

Sure. Point stands that people who didn't like TW2 combat proooobably won't be sold on TW3's either.

If someone hated the basic structure then sure. However, most of the complaining was about responsiveness, animation lock, the reliance on roll/quen spam, clunky lock on targetting, qtes, the need to use potions prior to combat, and a poor difficulty curve... According to CDPR, they've corrected all those issues and substantially beefed up his arsenal.

Lunar15

How about we let the game get released and played before making sweeping judgements, even if they use the word proooobably.

Hey, I liked TW2's combat, even before the rebalancing mod. I'm more referring to people who talk like they wanted TW2's combat to be something different entirely, not just tweaked. Those people probably won't be won over, based on the stuff that we've seen and the info CDPR has told us.

Those who just need some tweaks should be taken care of.

But you're right, we'll see when the game hits. Also helps that CDPR is great about responding to issues quickly.

dlauv

Combat in Witcher 2 grew on me like a fungus. That is to say it was pretty unpleasant at first; but, once I leveled up a little, it began to feel like an actual game. I got a feel for the ebb and flow and it was quite nice, but still fairly rough, especially on Dark (my first playthrough was on Dark, because I'm an idiot: it's definitely imbalanced and absolutely a challenge mode only). It felt just right on Hard difficulty. I didn't care for the combat mod. Blocking was uncertain altho enemies blocked absolutely everything, the dodge switching from roll to pirouette was incomprehensible. It made magic better and more fun, but it was op and spamming was the way to victory.

The combat in this looks very refined and interesting. It certainly looks like a step up.

SaberEdge

I really liked the combat in W2 - mostly that type which they changed in patches.. after Souls series in my opnion the best combat in any action-RPG game. loved toplay the Arena mode.. on the other hand, I cannot believe how bad the combat is in the Elder Scrolls game series, but I see people enjoing him aswell, so what do I know :D

With few tweaks to the combat style from W2, and this time it can be really great

Yeah, after patch 1.02 the combat was excellent (although I did like the original parry of v1.0). Easily some of the best combat I've experienced in any action RPG. It's responsive, varied, tactical, and challenging but fair.

The full combat rebalance 2 mod made the combat faster, but also more challenging. Overall I felt it was a lateral change for the combat, not an improvement. It seemed buggier, although perhaps a bit more responsive in some ways.

I didn't really like the auto-parry nor the active quen. Auto-parry only works about three quarters of the time and randomly fails at inopportune times, which is simply not worth the risk, especially on dark mode. I prefer having full control of blocking and dodge rolling. I did think the new pirouette was useful for getting around enemies, but it didn't usually help you avoid direct attacks. And the fact that you don't get staggered when an enemy parries you means that you can usually just spam your attacks until you break through.

I know much of that was done to try to keep the fights more standing up. But the truth is, you're still going to need to use the rolls when fighting groups of enemies. Some people don't like the dodge rolls, but while they might not be very realistic, mechanically they work very well within the context of the game's combat.

Overall, I like the rebalance mod as a different way to play and enjoy the combat in The Witcher 2, but since it's buggier than the original system I think the original mechanics still hold the edge. However, if they were able to incorporate some of the elements from the mod into The Witcher 3 from the ground up, along with some other improvements, it could result in an even better combat system. Which, judging by the previews, is exactly what they have done.

tuxfool

Banned
Overall, I like the rebalance mod as a different way to play and enjoy the combat in The Witcher 2, but since it's buggier than the original system I think the original mechanics still hold the edge. However, if they were able to incorporate some of the elements from the mod into The Witcher 3 from the ground up, along with some other improvements, it could result in an even better combat system. Which, judging by the previews, is exactly what they have done.

They did hire the person that did the full combat rebalance to work on the combat in W3. Looking previews it certainly looks faster. What I personally like is that there is very little (any) combat rolling, instead there are proper swordsman pirouettes and sidesteps, something that most sword fighting games get wrong (it is a bad idea to lose/relinquish your footing in a sword fight).

After starting to read the books I'm more than ever disappointed that there's no consequences to sleeping around as the character's get hella jealous.

Also Geralt is really whiney, I'd never have guessed just what an emo he is.

In the first 2 books he complained about pretty much anything imaginable.

SaberEdge

They did hire the person that did the full combat rebalance to work on the combat in W3. Looking previews it certainly looks faster. What I personally like is that there is very little (any) combat rolling, instead there are proper swordsman pirouettes and sidesteps, something that most sword fighting games get wrong (it is a bad idea to lose/relinquish your footing in a sword fight).

Oh, I totally agree. While I do think the ground rolls work within the context of the game's mechanics they definitely aren't realistic. The Souls games also have a lot of rolling and, again, it works in the context but isn't really the best way to do it. You would do little, if any, of that sort of thing in real combat. So, the pirouettes and sidesteps are an improvement. They will look better, be more realistic, and make the combat more furious and fast paced.

erawsd

Oh, I totally agree. While I do think the ground rolls work within the context of the game's mechanics they definitely aren't realistic. The Souls games also have a lot of rolling and, again, it works in the context but isn't really the best way to do it. You would do little, if any, of that sort of thing in real combat. So, the pirouettes and sidesteps are an improvement. They will look better, be more realistic, and make the combat more furious and fast paced.

Agreed. Bloodborne also made the switch to a sidestep and its a massive upgrade over the roll in feel and function. Both games also still have the roll for the times where you need to create larger space.

This sounds weird when speaking about Witchers, they are superhumans employing a rather unrealistic combat style.

SaberEdge

Agreed. Bloodborne also made the switch to a sidestep and its a massive upgrade over the roll in feel and function. Both games also still have the roll for the times where you need to create larger space.

Agreed. It's just a better way to do it.

This sounds weird when speaking about Witchers, they are superhumans employing a rather unrealistic combat style.

You do have a good point: Witchers would be able to use fighting techniques that wouldn't work for regular men simply due to their superhuman strength, speed and reflexes. Still, I think the sidesteps and pirouettes are an improvement. (Even though, technically, pirouettes wouldn't really be used very much by human combatants either).

These games are far from realistic anyway. I guess it's just nice to make something look realistic as long as it still looks cool and works within the context of the combat system you are developing.

Daverid

So this just popped up over the The Witcher forums, some off-screen footage (Pretty clear at 1080p though) of the Griffin Fight in the Prologue (Watch at own risk if you're trying to save yourself).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xSgyGrcbM&feature=youtu.be&t=8m28s

Guy playing kind of sucks, and clearly that Crossbow isn't doing shit, but it's a nice comparison to the Griffin Fight at E3 2014. Everything about it looks greatly improved, so much smoother and it's nice to see the game not being played on Easy for once (Actually it could still be easy, I guess we don't really know, but it seems like probably normal).

(Also if you skip back to 1:01 there's some underwater gameplay and general walking around, cutscene with Vesemir)

Damn. Won't have enough cash to finish my PC build for another 4 months or so.

So do I bite on the PS4 version or stay patient and go for maximum beauty with the PC?

So this just popped up over the The Witcher forums, some off-screen footage (Pretty clear at 1080p though) of the Griffin Fight in the Prologue (Watch at own risk if you're trying to save yourself).

Guy playing kind of sucks, and clearly that Crossbow isn't doing shit, but it's a nice comparison to the Griffin Fight at E3 2014. Everything about it looks greatly improved, so much smoother and it's nice to see the game not being played on Easy for once.

(Also if you skip back to 1:01 there's some underwater gameplay and general walking around, cutscene with Vesemir)

Is that XboxOne footage? I see a Devkit behind the TV and Xbox Button prompts. Looks really good.

@RealityCheque
The game is going to look great on all platforms.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not fussed whether it's rolls, sidesteps, or whatever, as long as it's responsive and balanced around the combat mechanics (damage, attack time, hitboxes, enemy attack patterns, etc). I don't really consider the change between Souls and Bloodborne to be better/worse so much as more relevant to the kind of game it is, which is more aggressive and faster. Roll works well in the context of Souls and how the encounters play out, whereas the abundance of fast moving enemies and bosses and focus on close range play makes a sidestep more sensible.

My biggest issue with The Witcher 2's combat was what I considered to be poor balance of a change to action driven combat systems yet still integrating Witcher 1 like combos. If your combat system is purely action driven you really, really need to simplify every move into something predictable and responsive. You can have combos and shit, but every attack/dodge/roll/whatever needs to be linked to a button press. Witcher 2 had these weird moments, after unlocks in the tree, where Geralt would finish a combo or whatever with some stupid fancy move that left him open. Or worse, would automatically roll forward to attack an enemy, potentially closing distance to put himself within a group.

Hopefully TW3 remedies that. Keep functions, you know, functional.

erawsd

Guy playing kind of sucks, and clearly that Crossbow isn't doing shit, but it's a nice comparison to the Griffin Fight at E3 2014. Everything about it looks greatly improved, so much smoother and it's nice to see the game not being played on Easy for once (Actually it could still be easy, I guess we don't really know, but it seems like probably normal).

Wow that guy playing is really terrible, Griffin spent more time going after poor Vesemir

Denton

I swear when I am playing it I am not going to just spam freaking crossbow
The guy made it look boring as hell, but at least the graphics and lightning was beautiful.

Kinthalis

Banned
Damn. Won't have enough cash to finish my PC build for another 4 months or so.

So do I bite on the PS4 version or stay patient and go for maximum beauty with the PC?

Check to see for GPU promotions, many will usually offer a new game for free. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a get Witcher 3 for free with purchase of GTX 900 serires card sometime around release time.

That draw distance is good. Also the ground doesn't seem as flat. And the lighting is awesome.

I am sure the dude is just occupied answering the questions so he sort of just spammed the crossbow.

Daverid

In case you didn't notice it, he was more focused on answering the journalist than actually playing the game.

They are separate clips. The guy playing the game is indeed focusing that entire time.

He's probably just mucking around with the Crossbow, trying to test it and see if he can slowly bring the Griffin down with it. I really don't know why, but you know, people can do what they do and considering he died I doubt he'd run that approach again.

Seanspeed

Banned
Check to see for GPU promotions, many will usually offer a new game for free. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a get Witcher 3 for free with purchase of GTX 900 serires card sometime around release time.
They've got that exact promotion running right now, actually.

I know this sounds typiacl of me, but, "nice particle shading."

Hard to get a gameplay feel still from this game.

misho8723

Banned
I hope the new footage is from the January build, because there were some bugs(like for example : griffin stuck on trees),animation problems,etc. in that

Auctopus

Jeez, I think what the guy is saying in the background is far more interesting than the footage. Totally trashing Sony or something.

Daverid

Jeez, I think what the guy is saying in the background is far more interesting than the footage. Totally trashing Sony or something.

Not really. I'm sure he doesn't have the greatest opinion of them, and his "Sony is great and all" sounded a little forced, but more than likely it was just a horrible project he was apart of. He's just saying that he experiences much more freedom and ability to enjoy what he does at CDPR, which makes absolute sense considering the kind of company they are.

Im sure it is. Seems like they've been on a world tour with that version.

Yea, it is. Although I'm still not expecting perfection come launch. I think this is definitely going to be the best CDPR launch yet (Which is pretty insane when you think about it considering how much larger 3 is than the previous games), but it's still bound to have issues and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if a bunch of people out there experience similar issues to what we can see in this footage.

Thankfully though it doesn't look like anything major, and it's not going to happen to everyone most likely.

danthefan

I know this is crazy sacrilege but I think I'm going to buy this for PS4 instead of PC. I want to be able to play it on the couch on my big TV. I'm reading quotes on a previous page that on XOne it's one of the best looking open world games the author had seen, if it looks better than Far Cry 4 or Dragon Age then I'm fine with that.

erawsd

Yea, it is. Although I'm still not expecting perfection come launch. I think this is definitely going to be the best CDPR launch yet (Which is pretty insane when you think about it considering how much larger 3 is than the previous games), but it's still bound to have issues and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if a bunch of people out there experience similar issues to what we can see in this footage.

Thankfully though it doesn't look like anything major, and it's not going to happen to everyone most likely.

Yeah, I'm certain it will too, its pretty much impossible to stomp out every bug/glitch and launch a game of this scale in a timely manner.

misho8723

Banned
CBBZJH6UQAAbw_O.jpg

From https://twitter.com/XzoneCZ/status/581062446586159104/photo/1

And in a tweet from Filip Aleth Ženíšek - he is one of the guys who are translating W3 to czech language - from 2.4. has wrote that the team in Poland makes changes and adds new stuff to the game even in this days - "new fancy graphical effects here, comprehensible interface there. The developers of W3 are not slacking off in the last months and are fine-tuning stuff."

Tweet from 19.3 : "The developers of Witcher 3 are adding new stuff to the game even at the last minute, even if it's long ago banned. I said that this project would never end."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is this in response to me? My PC isn't in the living room, my PS4 is.

If you're not talking to me then disregard.

Yeah i was referring to your post. If your PC isn't modular enough to carry around and hook up in that manner then that's a different story. I was just responding to the 'comfy couch' mindset where people only think PC's can be played out of the comfort area. I know there are still people who think that, and its not the case as it was in previous times

danthefan

Yeah i was referring to your post. If your PC isn't modular enough to carry around and hook up in that manner then that's a different story. I was just responding to the 'comfy couch' mindset where people only think PC's can be played out of the comfort area. I know there are still people who think that, and its not the case as it was in previous times

Of course. People can put their PC wherever suits them. Just in my own situation I have nowhere to put it in my living room, I have no wireless peripherals, and my couch is probably too far away from the TV for anything but gaming.

I have had a PC hooked up in my living room before (when you live on your own you can do whatever you want with your space), it's just not practical for me currently.

Top Bottom