• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New THQ Nordic Open-World ARPG "Biomutant" Accidentally Revealed Early [PS4/X1/PC]

Venture

Pretty cool. This reminds me a little bit of the old pen and paper RPG TMNT and other Strangeness from the lat 80's. Anyone else remember this?
Yes! I've still got that rules book somewhere around here. Never played it but I loved the art and just reading through it.

Biomutant reads a bit like "Cybercomputer", lol it's a little redundant.

But it's not like I don't get they want to differentiate it from the countless mutants in games and pop culture.

Pretty cool. This reminds me a little bit of the old pen and paper RPG TMNT and other Strangeness from the lat 80's. Anyone else remember this?

Yeah, especially the After the bomb stuff:
TMNT-RPG-Accessory-Pack_After-the-Bomb-Game-Shield-1990.jpg

TreIII

You both make me so happy. Those are names I haven't heard/read, since my friends and I played this stuff in middle school!

Anyway...I couldn't be anymore "in" for this, if I tried. Simply because this game reminds me so much of these tabletop games!

13thStep

Yes! I've still got that rules book somewhere around here. Never played it but I loved the art and just reading through it.

That's awesome. I used to just roll and create so many mutant characters. Never had anyone who wanted to play though lol. Lost that book in a move or 2 ago. Shame...

You both make me so happy. Those are names I haven't heard/read, since my friends and I played this stuff in middle school!

Anyway...I couldn't be anymore "in" for this, if I tried. Simply because this game reminds me so much of these tabletop games!

Cheers to all of you who remember this! I thought I would be the only one to remember! Great stuff

Speely

Banned
Y'all need to come up with a better name for this

I dunno. While it's cheesy and seemingly lazy, it also kinda fits if a certain amount of cheesiness is what they are going for. How it reads to me is this: a piss-take on genre standards that doesn't take itself too seriously.

lol "Ein Open World Action RPG"

That one deutsche word.
Does it mean "not"? Because it might be a clever way to get people interested b/c of open world action rpg but ends up being a hidden items visual novel game lol.

I don't seriously think it means "not", just so it's clear haha.

So, from his outfit, at least we can see that:

- his right eye can probably do some tricks (like detective mode or some sort)
- his main weapon is a melee weapon (the sword is maybe just one of many varieties)
- he has a secondary ranged weapon with various ammo types
- there's a cricket buddy that can be used for spying
- he can swim and glide (?)

I want to be interested in this, but all I can think about is when the fuck did "Protag" become the cool way to refer to a title's protagonist?

I want to be interested in this, but all I can think about is when the fuck did "Protag" become the cool way to refer to a title's protagonist?

like you've never heard people shortening it to Protag?

If you don't know his/her name do you want to type "protagonist" or "lead character" every fucking time?

MoonFrog

I live pretty well with the long-dead super magical Romes of JRPG and I don't really get tired of it--I just sort of accept it, like the beautiful, magical artifacts it leaves behind, and move on. I do kind of wish the west would get over our world as the previous, dead world thing though. IDK why post-apocalyptic does sour initial impressions for me a bit now and that other similar trope above doesn't.

(I do end up enjoying plenty of post-apocalyptic content--I just wish people'd move past it).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Great series of books.

Bought the whole collection when Brian Jacques passed away~~~

I've wanted to go back and read a few of the books I really loved but a little worried they won't hold up well as an adult. I devoured those books as a kid.

Top Bottom