• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New TitanFall footage

Joemoe

Neo Member
I'm also pretty damn disappointed Microsoft have them blocked from releasing on Playstation consoles. Not because I lack a PC/Xbox to play it but because it could have been the COD killer (or at least reduce COD's influence on the industry) that a lot of us have been waiting for. That can't happen when you lock out the Playstation audience.

The online-only and mech-centered gameplay makes me doubt that it could triumph COD though, even if it were on Playstation. Maybe it could shake the FPS genre a bit but COD will stay on top.

MormaPope

Banned
If there's one thing that Titanfall has going for it, it's the message given by the developers/how they present the game itself. Titanfall itself doesn't excite me that much, the game doesn't look or sound bad, or underwhelming at all, but it looks pretty tame when it comes to actual content.

This upcoming gen is going to have a lot of shooters. And after this current gen, I'll take something experimental or bizarre over something traditionally 'fun'. I've had fun this entire generation, I never stopped having fun, give me something I'd never guess as being fun or possible.

I had the opportunity to play Titanfall three times. (1 x GamesCom, 2 x PAX Prime) And all I had wanted was to play more. I like the setting, I love the titan design, and I love the gameplay movement. It just feels natural.

I've already seen Titanfall.

Looks okay, the one thing that bugs me about this game is that something like this should have been rinsed to death already. More of a slight on publishers I guess, but a FPS game where you can also jump in to robots and fight shouldn't be an amazing new thing in 2013. Should it?

Game looks fun tho, that's the biggest compliment I can give a game. Here's hoping it does well, I'm sure it will.
Excuse me, sir. But tell me one FPS game where are you jumping around, fighting against and with mechs in the last few years? How should that have been rinsed to death if there aren't even like 5 games of this sort yet?

Jobbs

Banned
I have seen it, and it looks fun, but we're still not to the point where I'll buy an XB1. TF and dead rising 3 both look great, but yeah, it's just not enough.

Im not into competetive multiplayer shooters at all can someone explain why people are down on ADS? Using a shotgun or a fully automatic rifle in a tight corridor i'm sure you would hit the target but at range how the hell are you supposed to hit anything unless you aim?

Is it just because it slows down the gameplay or what?

Im not into competetive multiplayer shooters at all can someone explain why people are down on ADS? Using a shotgun or a fully automatic rifle in a tight corridor i'm sure you would hit the target but at range how the hell are you supposed to hit anything unless you aim?

Yes it slows down gameplay drastically.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nope. The gameplay is exactly why MOST everybody that is excited about it is excited about it. While most people care about graphics, they are often able to overlook any deficiencies if the game is fun enough(TF2, Minecraft, DOTA, FTL, etc).

I doubt that even 10% of the gafers that expressed excitement have really played it.
Let alone that it all started with Microsoft's "OMG, but have you seen TEH TITANFALL!".
Of the people that HAVE played it, they all expressed how great it was to PLAY. It also didn't start with that. It started with the unveiling of the game at E3. It got people's attention and rightfully so. Lots of us think it looks like an amazing game. To PLAY. If you just look at your games, great, but some of us find joy in how they play. Strange notion, I know.

Indeed.
Somebody wasn't excited. Somebody else shared the opinion. Then you decided to explain us, how clueless we are.
If you say 'I don't understand where the hype is coming from' it translates to 'I don't understand how others can have different opinions than me'. If somebody just says that the COD-like gameplay doesn't appeal to them, its different.

I haven't see anything "next gen" in the OP video. Unlike, say, in RYSE, where you see graphics vastly superior to the current gen.
I have. I'm not saying its an incredible-looking game, but watch the Gamersyde video. That is not something you'd see on a 360/PS3.

Again, if you don't find the game appealing, cool. Not every game is for everybody. But to then infer that the hype is being manufactured or fake and that 'you cant understand what people are excited over' just implies you have an inability to accept that not everybody has the same tastes as you and that your opinion is somehow the right one and everybody else is just being deluded or something. Its arrogant and close-minded.

Its going to be hard for me to choose Destiny or Titanfall. Definitely think Destiny and Titnafall will be better shooters than COD and BF.

Zemm

Its going to be hard for me to choose Destiny or Titanfall. Definitely think Destiny and Titnafall will be better shooters than COD and BF.

Both are so different I dunno why you couldn't play both. Both will more than likely come out at very different times too.

DoctorZ

Both are so different I dunno why you couldn't play both. Both will more than likely come out at very different times too.

Exactly, they are vastly different games. I feel like we're back in the "Halo Killer" days where any game that was a FPS on console was compared to Halo even if it was't even trying to be anything like Halo.

I'm considering getting an xbone when Titanfall comes out as I think a lot of people are, I doubt I'll get one at launch, but I will want to have both eventually as I did with the PS3 and 360. Destiny is its own game and like any other game if its good or interests me I will purchase and play it regardless of genre as the variations within broad genres is infinite.

Ghazi

Holy shit, I just noticed a part where the Titan tells the pilot: "caution, you're outnumbered 2 to 1" even though he hadn't seen the 2nd guy yet.

AWESOME!

muddream

Banned

I wish it were reserved for powerful/long range weapons like sniper rifles and rocket launchers. ADS assault rifle vs ADS assault rifle is the most boring form of FPS combat. I get why developers love it, it's the easiest way of making a game accessible. Even a terrible player can kill a great one by getting the drop on him - and he doesn't even have to hit the first shot as is the case with sniper rifles.

Grief.exe

My buddy is one such person. He's a great guy, and fun to game with, but it's like he has to actually go through a thought process before he reacts to an attack in a shooter rather than just reacting with reflex/instinct/skill. There is no control scheme in the world that is going to make him be able to beat a lot of the hardcore shooter players even if he's on a native Kb/M system against someone on a native controller system. Maybe he's the exception to the rule, as a sample size of "1" from each category isn't exactly statistically significant.

Sounds like your buddy would be a horrible test subject to prove your theory then. If I didn't know better, its almost like you specifically chose him ;)

At any rate, I have zero desire to be a PC gamer mainly because I'd rather pay one low price and game on something for 5-8 years than to have to upgrade parts to stay with the curve every 3 years. PC gaming to me is just too expensive, and the only real advantage (for me) would be graphics, which isn't enough incentive, because I've always been just fine with my "inferior" controller rather than a Kb/M.

Don't want to derail the thread here, but this is a completely false statement. It is actually fairly common misnomer though.

You do not have to upgrade every 3 years by any stretch of the imagination. You can build a completely mid-range rig and last out the entirety of the generation without upgrading.
Hell, I built my rig in 2010 and it is still more powerful than the next-gen consoles. I do not plan on upgrading for a significant period of time.

The people who upgrade constantly and focus on maxing out every game, are partially insane. You can try to stay ahead of the curve, but there are massive diminishing returns in your performance and IQ compared to your money spent.

I wish it were reserved for powerful/long range weapons like sniper rifles and rocket launchers. ADS assault rifle vs ADS assault rifle is the most boring form of FPS combat. I get why developers love it, it's the easiest way of making a game accessible. Even a terrible player can kill a great one by getting the drop on him - and he doesn't even have to hit the first shot as is the case with sniper rifles.

iQz0RpZFjn54T.jpg

There's no way it's anything more than timed. Simply put. No amount of money would be worth it, when it comes to the value of a new IP.

And there's no way that EA will be happy with releasing it on under half of the potential console user base. Both PS3 and presumably PS4 have the other 50% of the market share. And as mentioned, exclusives just aren't the blockbusters that third party developers want.

And to be honest if we go by Pachter and other analysts, by the time Titanfall releases, they'll be releasing on the smaller installed base of the two next-gen platforms.

Hedging their bets on the PC, which already has the largest next-gen install base.

Actually, if they chose to only launch on Origin they are doing a disservice to their earnings potential.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Man, not to beat on a dead horse but, i see nothing in this game that warrants the (fake?) hype surrounding it, certainly not on a technical level... i don't see anything that's not doable on current gen.
Most fun looking next-gen game in 'not the best looking game' shocker.

Reikon

Because then the game would be designed around the guns being accurate without using ADS.

jediyoshi

I don't follow, all that gets across is that they're different. The premise "shooting without using ironsights is too inaccurate to be feasible" is such a silly over generalization to try and discount its usage, everything past that is just rabble rousing.

I don't follow, all that gets across is that they're different. The premise "shooting without using ironsights is too inaccurate to be feasible" is such a silly over generalization to try and discount its usage, everything past that is just rabble rousing.

Have you tried shooting without sights on BF3/BF4/CoD/Most recent shooters? Usually it only works if you're at a ridiculously close range and even then it still is better to aim down sights before shooting.

Grief.exe

In typical ADS games, the mechanics dictate that shooting without sighting in is just not feasible. They accomplish this by making your bullets fly out in a random vector from your crosshair.
Even if you aim is perfectly on someone, you can still miss every single shot if the RNG is not on your side.

Salex_

The easy way to see why some people dislike it is to play COD then play Halo. In COD, it's more about seeing someone first and you aren't really engaged in the 1v1 fight this is why dropshot is the go to option in duels. Also, as many others have said not using ADS is very inaccurate so there's little reason to not use it. In Halo, there's a lot of movement within the 1v1 fight itself. Titanfall seems to be focusing on a lot of mobility options and seamless transitions so why would a game like that benefit from using ADS? I rarely play shooters but I can see why people are questioning the decision.

Mr. West

Banned
actually its spot on. Iron sight shootouts are usually just dudes walking around aiming down ironsights. In something like Halo, its two players strafing and shooting. You can't strafe while using iron sights.

Shooting without ironsights in CoD is too inaccurate unless you are up close.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I love this argument. My friend swore Kb/M would dominate me so he got a converter and played me in several different FPS games on the 360, me with my controller and him with Kb/M. He got destroyed. He got less destroyed than he did when he used a controller, but he still got destroyed.

Skill is skill. A great player may be slightly better with Kb/M than he would be with a controller, but Kb/M does not turn mediocre players into great players in ANY shooter.

It's too bad they won't have cross-platform play AFAIK with Titanfall or we could finally put this issue to bed, although I have a feeling it would never truly die.

i'm pretty mediocre, too. we could put this issue to bed right now with a few rounds of instagib quakelive if you're game?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Have you tried shooting without sights on BF3/BF4/CoD/Most recent shooters? Usually it only works if you're at a ridiculously close range and even then it still is better to aim down sights before shooting.

False. What is the Steady Aim perk? What are shotguns? And yeah, the game does enforce ADS at medium-long range because that's just how the mechanics are. If you're complaining about being spotted first and not being able to react before being killed maybe you should have better situational awareness. It's not like CoD gives you a mini map that lets you know where your enemies are in addition to a host of killstreaks, perks, and equipment that only supplement that.

I quite like the fight or flight mechanic that is bought up with ironsights. The lack of movement during a duel is a fair point, but the image completely disregards the good points of ironsights, even though it brings them up

Salex_

Just realized that this is being published by EA so I won't be getting this. Looks decent though.

Huh? If you're really interested in the game just get it used if you don't want to support EA. I don't see the reason to avoid games that may be fun because of the company that's publishing the game.

Nokterian

I still don't buy it. I'd like to see it first-hand for myself, taking "average" PC gamers and pitting them against the "best" console gamers.

I never denied that Kb/M is MORE precise. I even admitted that it can make individual players better than they are with a controller. I just don't think it magically makes crappy players suddenly great. I don't think that switching from a controller to a Kb/M is going to make someone an instant FPS god or that they're going to suddenly, magically be able to destroy people that used to thrash them all the time when it was controller vs controller. Some people just really aren't any good at FPS. They have slow reaction times, for instance, that aren't going to be overcome by a superior control scheme.

My buddy is one such person. He's a great guy, and fun to game with, but it's like he has to actually go through a thought process before he reacts to an attack in a shooter rather than just reacting with reflex/instinct/skill. There is no control scheme in the world that is going to make him be able to beat a lot of the hardcore shooter players even if he's on a native Kb/M system against someone on a native controller system. Maybe he's the exception to the rule, as a sample size of "1" from each category isn't exactly statistically significant.

Another consideration I don't think they're even thinking about is frame rate and screen lag. I bought a 19" gaming monitor that has much lower response time than my flat-screen TV, and I IMMEDIATELY saw a drastic improvement in my performance on average. Games where I used to go anywhere from 7 and 3 up to 10 and 1, I started going 15 and 3 up to 20 and 0 rather consistently. Basically it nearly doubled how well I was doing because I could react faster than a lot of players on laggy flat screens. Since I was playing on the same game, same console, same controller, but on a monitor specifically designed for low latency for gaming, I attributed the improved performance to the monitor's response time since there's no way I gained that much skill overnight.

Factor that in and I believe that PC gamers on a superior, low-latency monitor have a distinct advantage in reaction time in any given encounter against a console gamer. A few frames or so may not sound like much, but it can be a HUGE difference in twitch shooters.

At any rate, I have zero desire to be a PC gamer mainly because I'd rather pay one low price and game on something for 5-8 years than to have to upgrade parts to stay with the curve every 3 years. PC gaming to me is just too expensive, and the only real advantage (for me) would be graphics, which isn't enough incentive, because I've always been just fine with my "inferior" controller rather than a Kb/M.

As for the "shitthatdidn'thappen.txt" comment by another poster, I've got nothing to prove to you so I won't say anything further on the matter. Besides the fact that we're way off topic now anyway.

Real skill is this with keyboard and mouse..a controller can never ever touch this level of skill.

Quake 3 Defrag Movie

This is also known as DeFrag

Quake done 100% Quickest

Watch one of these moves in Quake 1 and 3..i wish you goodluck trying this on a console controller witch never will happen. Those are just small examples what precision is.

therapist

Have not seen this vid.

Game looks so awesome , and i dont even like mechs...

Do want.

Shes also pretty damn cute!

Edit ; why would anyone argue keyb/mouse vs controller? If you think controller can be as precise you are just wrong. Go play with a keyb and mouse for a while then come back.
Lifeexpectancy has a good point ,a low input lag monitor will indeed make a difference , but put 2 people same exact setup one with a controller and one with keyb/mouse , the controller player will get destroyed no gd question.

Ill personally challenge anyone to this in CoD 4/Blops1/2 , bf3/4 - pm me. (Ofc you will need a pc , and the people who argue these points dont have a pc as they dont know how superior the controls simply are - yes this is an assumption =P)
It would have to recorded of course to show actual use of said gamepad.

My only ground rule for this challenge would be : no gd campers. Sitting in a corner and using a controller aint that hard as you dont need quick turn aruonds and such. Also i get bored playing campers real fast.

Cheers.

Grief.exe

Just realized that this is being published by EA so I won't be getting this. Looks decent though.

Game is actually published under EA Partners, which means it has the possibility of being self-published by Respawn on Steam.

Not sure if that was what you were referring to.

jediyoshi

In typical ADS games, the mechanics dictate that shooting without sighting in is just not feasible. They accomplish this by making your bullets fly out in a random vector from your crosshair.
Even if you aim is perfectly on someone, you can still miss every single shot if the RNG is not on your side.

It dictates that there's a risk/reward between choosing to aim down sights or not. I'm not sure what you're trying to point out by describing the base mechanics of recoil, every variation of how bullets are coming out of a gun is just another scenario to account for. It's the difference between rushing someone or rotating positions, it's the difference between using a rifle or a shotgun.

Would you also make the argument that games shouldn't have reloading mechanics and rely purely on pools of ammo because it causes people to take too many breaks inbetween engagements and take less risks? Should no weapons have splash damage because it handicaps the need for precision aiming?

Sure, have you watched any Veteran runs of Mile High Club? I'm not talking about the viability of using it over ADS, just that there are situations where it'd be fine to use. If you want to make the generalization that in every instance of an encounter, ADS wins out, then it depends on your game.

False. What is the Steady Aim perk? What are shotguns? And yeah, the game does enforce ADS at medium-long range because that's just how the mechanics are. If you're complaining about being spotted first and not being able to react before being killed maybe you should have better situational awareness. It's not like CoD gives you a mini map that lets you know where your enemies are in addition to a host of killstreaks, perks, and equipment that only supplement that.
What does that have to do with anything? They're not asking how to be better, they're saying they don't like that play style.

Kade

-Game looks awesome
-Same haters with the same garbage responses
-Dumb overused meme
-Weird offtopic comments that wouldn't have existed if the presenter was male and/or not a pretty lady
-not_so_special
-Grief.exe; motha fuckin Titanfall

TITANFALL THREAD

Cru

What does that have to do with anything? They're not asking how to be better, they're saying they don't like that play style.

Then this game is obviously not for them. It's a pointless debate. I doubt Respawn is going to take out ADS.

Top Bottom