• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New TitanFall footage

TrounceX

-Game looks awesome
-Same haters with the same garbage responses
-Dumb overused meme
-Weird offtopic comments that wouldn't have existed if the presenter was male and/or not a pretty lady
-not_so_special
-Grief.exe; motha fuckin Titanfall

TITANFALL THREAD

Haha perfect.

I think I might have to take a break from gaming-side GAF because you guys are driving me crazy lately. Some people in here even arguing in favor or ADS mechanics smh.

-Game looks awesome
-Dumb overused meme
-Weird offtopic comments that wouldn't have existed if the presenter was male and/or not a pretty lady
-not_so_special

TITANFALL THREAD

There is definitely a large number of people who walk into these threads and complain irrationally.

Kade

There is definitely a large number of people who walk into these threads and complain irrationally.

They were forced to read and post in the thread by their Web browser extention that automatically opens threads about things that they don't like.

Only thing I wonder about is why Respawn has it set up that you have to stop moving beore you fire your weapon...doesn't that go against the whole 'constantly moving" aspect of the game?

chugen

after years of cod (and lots of good times) i was feeling tired of it. can't wait to get my hands on that game!

EvB

Only thing I wonder about is why Respawn has it set up that you have to stop moving beore you fire your weapon...doesn't that go against the whole 'constantly moving" aspect of the game?

is that not how both COD and Aim down Sights generally work?

Grief.exe

-Game looks awesome
-Dumb overused meme
-not_so_special

TITANFALL THREAD

irbvwdMaYkZhd.png

I'll make sure this is the first post of the OT.

is that not how both COD and Aim down Sights generally work?

Yes, the argument being that those mechanics have no place in a shooter that puts such a high priority on movement.

Respawn has created this cool movement system, but completely negates it by requiring you to come to a complete stop in order to shoot.

jediyoshi

Yes, the argument being that those mechanics have no place in a shooter that puts such a high priority on movement.

Respawn has created this cool movement system, but completely negates it by requiring you to come to a complete stop in order to shoot.

You're already not shooting when you're wallrunning or climbing anyway, not that you effectively could given input limitations. Who's to say their focus wasn't on it being a push on positional and vertical gameplay rather than something trying to be more fast paced? I'm not getting these arbitrary distinctions between mechanics that don't ultimately end in two people in a square room trying to hover their crosshairs over each other.

DoomGyver

Yeah I'm not seeing that? You can shoot without ADS. In that 1080p/60 video he doesn't even use ADS with the Sidewinder weapon.

I also have no problem with having to slow down in order to use a weapon that can take a Titan out in one hit, the tradeoff is you're vulnerable for a couple of seconds.

joeblow

Titanfall graphics are low budget as far as next gen goes, but it does look an awesome title to play and the action is crisp. The soldier's agility reminds me of the fun of playing as a Scout in Team Fortress 2, and the mech action looks great as well.

If the rumored PS4 version is heavily delayed, I'll probably bite on the PC version first.

EDIT:

Oh snap, I didn't know that. Hmmmm......

Grief.exe

[/B]Yeah I'm not seeing that? You can shoot without ADS. In that 1080p/60 video he doesn't even use ADS with the Sidewinder weapon.

I also have no problem with having to slow down in order to use a weapon that can take a Titan out in one hit, the tradeoff is you're vulnerable for a couple of seconds.

There are several weapons where your shots won't deviate from a random vector. shotguns and the sidewinder being one of them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What does that have to do with anything? They're not asking how to be better, they're saying they don't like that play style.

I'm specifically responding to their two claims that hipfire is useless in CoD and that by adding ADS you remove skill entirely.

There are several weapons where your shots won't deviate from a random vector. shotguns and the sidewinder being one of them.

Don't forget the haxxor pistol.

Pain

Banned
So its not coming until Autumn/Fall 2014? From the way they're promoting it they make it seem like a launch window title...

Southside Jim

Neo Member
I'm about as skilled at competitive online multiplayer shooters as Edward Scissorhands would be, but this thing is going to move XB1s.

Seanspeed

Banned
I personally prefer FPS games with ADS. Non-ADS feels entirely too arcadey. It makes sense to have to slow down to aim and shoot precisely.

Seanspeed

Banned
Also makes it easier. That is why it is such a pervasive mechanic.
Its not easier. Everybody is in the same boat and you have to take the risk of slowing your movement in order to shoot, making yourself more vulnerable.

Its just different, that's all. And arguably more immersive and fun for a lot of people. I don't quite get why there's this small contingent of elitists when it comes to ADS. You guys just prefer a different type of shooter. Great. Why not just leave it at that? Why this incessant need to belittle ADS games?

ADS isn't inherently bad. In tripwire games you don't have crosshairs but you still line up shots with semi auto weapons without randomized spray. To compensate recoil is significantly increased, but the main reason ADS is essential in console FPS's is it's the best way of including a degree of aim assist.

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
When I saw this announced I thought it was gonna be COD with mechs - played it at Eurogamer and realised how wrong I was. The game's ridiculously fun.

Pain

Banned
I'm about as skilled at competitive online multiplayer shooters as Edward Scissorhands would be, but this thing is going to move XB1s.
Possibly but considering it's also on 360 and PC I wouldn't place all my hope on a cross generational game. Halo 5 is Microsofts real system seller.

DoomGyver

The more I watch the gameplay.. man this is a PC game at heart. The verticality, speed, and precision. kb/m is the way to go.

Damn I need to build a pc.

legacyzero

Banned
I watch this footage, and I cant help but think about how PISSED Bobby Kotick is gonna be when this game blows up and is a mega hit.

You done fucked up, Kotick.

Uh... a converter.

Yeah, mice on the 360s just plain suck. I had the opportunity to try one. It was awful, and a complete waste of money for its owner. I played worse using a mouse on my 360 than a controller, but when it's a controller on a device that actually uses mice natively, like a PC? M&K destroys every time. When testing this, even with people of appropriate skill (even, iirc, switching people around), mice-users always win, because mice are just better. But a third-party mouse trying to connect to a 360 is never going to work out well.

Nonsense. Some of them take a little time, but once you work out the settings, they work brilliantly. The only reason I got rid of mine (I used an Aimon XB Elite) is because I didn't do enough online gaming to justify the purchase. I lent it to a friend who had difficulty (though I was never able to see why) when he tried it with some Halo. There was a thing called the "Lift-off function" that was necessary to make it work, and to the best of my knowledge he never did that.

Xim3 and Aimon are both very good products; there are just some hoops you have to jump through sometimes. I would buy one again.

Real skill is this with keyboard and mouse..a controller can never ever touch this level of skill.

Quake 3 Defrag Movie

This is also known as DeFrag

Quake done 100% Quickest

Watch one of these moves in Quake 1 and 3..i wish you goodluck trying this on a console controller witch never will happen. Those are just small examples what precision is.

A speedrun on a corridor-based shooter with AI that's so old it might as well not be there (aka enemies that barely react) and a player that has memorized the routes. That's not the Kb/M makin him look good. It's memorization. I've seen speedruns and MP vids of console players in games like FEAR/Quake IV/Halo/Gears that look very similar to stuff like that. Hell watch some Mirror's Edge speedruns by console players. They may not be quite as fast as some PC ones (mainly due to certain 'glitches' to gain speed not being possible on a console), but the precision involved by the players in these speedruns is absolutely ridiculous and makes these old Quake PC speedruns look like a joke. The Quake 3 one looks faster, but for obvious reasons that I'm not going to bother discussing. The game wasn't even designed to be played like that.

At any rate as I said in the post of mine that you quoted, I never denied that Kb/M is more precise than a controller. But the people in your example videos are not mediocre players - turned - FPS gods just because they picked up a Kb/M. They are already very skilled FPS players that just so happened to be using a Kb/M.

Aaaaaand back on topic (not to mention speaking of Mirror's Edge movement mechanics): I completely agree that if they keep the ADS enforced in this game it is going to SERIOUSLY impact the flow and the fun factor of shootouts in the MP space. This is one of the biggest reasons I've never been a fan of CoD and its ilk.

akaoni

Banned
A speedrun on a corridor-based shooter with AI that's so old it might as well not be there (aka enemies that barely react) and a player that has memorized the routes. That's not the Kb/M makin him look good. It's memorization. I've seen speedruns and MP vids of console players in games like FEAR/Quake IV/Halo/Gears that look very similar to stuff like that. Hell watch some Mirror's Edge speedruns by console players. They may not be quite as fast as some PC ones (mainly due to certain 'glitches' to gain speed not being possible on a console), but the precision involved by the players in these speedruns is absolutely ridiculous and makes these old Quake PC speedruns look like a joke. The Quake 3 one looks faster, but for obvious reasons that I'm not going to bother discussing. The game wasn't even designed to be played like that..

At any rate as I said in the post of mine that you quoted, I never denied that Kb/M is more precise than a controller. But the people in your example videos are not mediocre players - turned - FPS gods just because they picked up a Kb/M. They are already very skilled FPS players that just so happened to be using a Kb/M.

Everything done in those two videos is not even remotely feasible on the popular controllers people use today. Mouse and keyboard is better than controller for FPS everyday of the week, there is not even a discussion to be had here. Comparing Mirror's Edge extremely forgiving climbing mechanics to the ridiculous skills displayed even in that first video is disgusting. FPS on consoles have been dumbed down just to accommodate the weaknesses in playing with a controller, with things such as loss of map verticality, jumping mechanics, ADS and even going as far to include a semi-aimbot.

kuYuri

I watch this footage, and I cant help but think about how PISSED Bobby Kotick is gonna be when this game blows up and is a mega hit.

You done fucked up, Kotick.

n3HKy.gif

Sorry, he can't hear you over the millions he's making with CoD, Skylanders, and potentially Destiny.

UNCMark

Banned
n3HKy.gif

Sorry, he can't hear you over the millions he's making with CoD, Skylanders, and potentially Destiny.

There's nothing a successful person wants more than more success. He could have easily had CoD and this, instead he chased of Vince. He fucked up big time, because now EA (and tangentially Microsoft) are going to have huge success with what's looking like its going to be the best shooter on the market. Kotick fucked up.

jediyoshi

Uh... a converter.

Yeah, mice on the 360s just plain suck. I had the opportunity to try one. It was awful, and a complete waste of money for its owner.

So.. the one you tried sucks? They all vary wildly in how they reinterpret mouse movements which is the entire crux of them, there's no magic 1:1 implementation in these types of devices. It doesn't take a scientist to look at something like the xim3 which has its own profile settings per game and realize its a step up from something like the xcm. It'd be like forsaking off all desktop OSs just because you tried a Linux distro once and didn't like it.

Its not easier. Everybody is in the same boat and you have to take the risk of slowing your movement in order to shoot, making yourself more vulnerable.

Its just different, that's all. And arguably more immersive and fun for a lot of people. I don't quite get why there's this small contingent of elitists when it comes to ADS. You guys just prefer a different type of shooter. Great. Why not just leave it at that? Why this incessant need to belittle ADS games?

No you don't understand, some things are just objectively worse. Variety be damned!

This looks good but not so good that the Xbone won't be able to 1080p/60fps this game. Any word from the devs on this? Since this is a timed console exclusive, I figure they'd really optimize it and get 1080p.

commissar

Bscly, moving fast and aiming is mechanically harder than moving slowly (or not at all) and aiming.
It's the surrounding gameplay elements which determine the overall difficulty :]

As jediyoshi implied, +variety please!

edit: something something titanfall looks fun etc etc
I won't be able to run it

Top Bottom