• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raiders screenshots - You'll want to protect her

dan2026

I don't follow you. :/ Most of the multiplat are good enough on ps3, lately; could be 360 could lead with a slight advantage, but now all multiplat automatically become horrible on ps3 because 360 has some edges? It's not 2008 again.

That's the problem, most pS3 multi-plats are 'good enough'.
Its sad to say but its still favorable in 95% of cases to buy on the 360 if possible.

Just look at Black Ops 2 for a recent example.
Is that 'good enough'?

dummydecoy

I'm anticipating the PS3 version will run like shit

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! I want this game to be good, just like how I wanted AC3, DmC, BlackOps, Darksiders2, Binary Domain, Sleeping Dogs, but they all suck donkey balls performance-wise.
But then PS3 Underworld run like shit at some parts. :(

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! PS3 Underworld run like shit at some parts. :(

It was really different than the 360 version, different look and different shaders. But I imagine crystal dynamics knows what they're doing this time.

No motion blur but Higher resolution on PS3. A less stable framerate but no something unplayable. Info from euro gamer.

Based on our playthrough, it seems obvious that Crystal Dynamics (and its sister studio Nixxes) has leant heavily on its previous Lara code for the 360 game, but has revamped the graphics engine for the Croftster's debut outing on the Sony console. So in terms of owners of Microsoft's box, you're getting the same sub-HD resolution as previous Tomb Raiders Legend and Anniversary (1024x576) while PS3 owners enjoy full 720p - a sizeable increase of 50 per cent in terms of pixel-throughput.

sleepykyo

Its sad to say but its still favorable in 95% of cases to buy on the 360 if possible.

Is that 'good enough'?

After that patch fixed the freezing? Yes.

That out of the way, I do expect the PS3 version Tomb Raider will suffer from severe performance issues .

I don't follow you. :/ Most of the multiplat are good enough on ps3, lately; could be 360 could lead with a slight advantage, but now all multiplat automatically become horrible on ps3 because 360 has some edges? It's not 2008 again.

You're right. It isn't 2008, and now developers are letting the performance slide on the 360 version. If they're going down that route of the main sku, it doesn't bode well for the PS3 version.

I'm assuming the PC version will look pretty good as it's being developed by Nixxes, but those shots look like ass.

I also like the filter, but I can see why some people would be tired of it.

jmls1121

Banned
Just by looking at the screens I can tell that this is everything that is wrong with Western Game development.

Uncharted/AssCreed ugh...

pargonta

Tagg9

Just by looking at the screens I can tell that this is everything that is wrong with Western Game development.

Uncharted/AssCreed ugh...

As in it's trying to emulate these games or what?...

Visually, both Uncharted and AC seem a bit more colorful than Tomb Raider.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They should have made her flat-chested and given her shoulders some extra polygons. Damn sharp shoulders, would not bang.

dummydecoy

As in it's trying to emulate these games or what?...

Visually, both Uncharted and AC seem a bit more colorful than Tomb Raider.

Maybe he means it's trying to look and play like a movie, which I agree. Although I love Uncharted.
I have a bad feeling the ending of this game is gonna be ACreed's level of bullshit, a hook for the sequel.

tombraidermultiediteur0.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM

With open world/hub elements, upgrades of skills/items, hunting of wild life in the forests. There is nothing like that in uncharted.

it doesn't look open world to me, plus it's like 10 hours long. Open sandbox level maybe but not open world from the looks of it. hunting is just bull shit

My goodness, I honestly think these look awful. To me TR is all about exploring huge environments and solving puzzles within them and none of these screens convey that sense of scale to me whatsoever. Not that I expected them to or anything, given what we've already seen about this game.

pargonta

^the scale might not be there but I do see ancient statues in a cave for the first time in one of those screens!

Sorry, I should have just googled it myself. Thank you though for indulging my laziness.

I don't blame people for being completely turned off by this, but I'm gonna give it a rental at least.

lol you're welcome i just wanted to give a source for the quotes.

development was sortof rebooted halfway through though... or i thought that was the myth, they were changing it from the open world to the uncharted style. we shall see! Crystal D still has my trust for fun gameplay, loved their trilogy.

man, I just don't know. My hype is going way down with this game in the last few months.

I'm starting to think about protecting my wallet at this point... :/

eXistor

The more gets revealed of this game the less I want to play it.

With open world/hub elements, upgrades of skills/items, hunting of wild life in the forests. There is nothing like that in uncharted.
They keep saying that, but as of yet have to show it to the public as far as I know (we've seen some hunting I think). All of that makes the game actually sound interesting, in stark contrast to what we've seen of the game so far.

Amir0x

Banned
The hate this game gets is pathetic, unlike most of you I've played the game and it looks awesome. It feels very Uncharted at the moment but considering how much GAF loves Uncharted I don't see the problem, hypocrites.

So much wrong with this post. PLUS thinly veiled "GAF Hivemind" nonsense.

I have played Tomb Raider - at NYCC 2012. It wasn't so hot. And Uncharted is a dramatically overhyped game series that is fun enough in a single dose, but the problem is not that Uncharted is good or bad. It's that Tomb Raider is not fucking Uncharted. It has never been like Uncharted. In fact, there are no other games on the market like OG Tomb Raider. Now there are literally none.

Many people who actually love what the franchise has done in the past and long for a continuation of that formula, if not with significant improvements (which was slowly being added in the new iterations that were coming out), are now getting this clone garbage which shares little-to-no similarities to a once loved franchise. Uncharted is for Uncharted. If I wanted Uncharted, I'd buy Uncharted.

If you find this difficult to believe, it's because you're not trying very hard to believe it.

omonimo

Banned

Is that 'good enough'?

Black ops 2 it's the rule now. Ok.

The game is going to be at the VGA's, so it's a perfect opportunity for them to finally show something that makes longtime fans of the series happy. In other words, something with very little combat and a focus on exploration and platforming.

Salaadin

So much wrong with this post. PLUS thinly veiled "GAF Hivemind" nonsense.

I have played Tomb Raider - at NYCC 2012. It wasn't so hot. And Uncharted is a dramatically overhyped game series that is fun enough in a single dose, but the problem is not that Uncharted is good or bad. It's that Tomb Raider is not fucking Uncharted. It has never been like Uncharted. In fact, there are no other games on the market like OG Tomb Raider. Now there are literally none.

Many people who actually love what the franchise has done in the past and long for a continuation of that formula, if not with significant improvements (which was slowly being added in the new iterations that were coming out), are now getting this clone garbage which shares little-to-no similarities to a once loved franchise. Uncharted is for Uncharted. If I wanted Uncharted, I'd buy Uncharted.

If you find this difficult to believe, it's because you're not trying very hard to believe it.

Played this at NYCC 2012 too. I liked it but I have to agree with you in that its not Tomb Raider. This literally feels like they saw Uncharted a few years back and saw everyone calling it a "Tomb Raider ripoff" when it wasnt and then decided to go and rip off Uncharted for some strange unknown reason.

Im a fool so Im still holding out hope that the early stuff is the Uncharted stuff and that it becomes more Tomb Raidery later on but CD isnt making this easy with their latest "no swimming" information.

Lime

The game is going to be at the VGA's, so it's a perfect opportunity for them to finally show something that makes longtime fans of the series happy. In other words, something with very little combat and a focus on exploration and platforming.

VGA's + A trailer showing very little combat and focus on exploration and platforming = does not fempute.

Amir0x

Banned
Played this at NYCC 2012 too. I liked it but I have to agree with you in that its not Tomb Raider. This literally feels like they saw Uncharted a few years back and saw everyone calling it a "Tomb Raider ripoff" when it wasnt and then decided to go and rip off Uncharted for some strange unknown reason.

Im a fool so Im still holding out hope that the early stuff is the Uncharted stuff and that it becomes more Tomb Raidery later on but CD isnt making this easy with their latest "no swimming" information.

I mean it's possible they're hiding all the parts that are like Tomb Raider behind closed doors for the right time, but at this point it'd be better if they showed such things sooner rather than later because the impression they have left from all interviews, gameplay demos and hands-on is that this is a high octane action game in the Uncharted style with some stylistic flairs and little deviations (with the hunting shit/leveling up shit, for example) but which in no way has any remote connection to the Tomb Raider franchise as was.

And if you're a Tomb Raider fan, that is indeed a disappointing thing.

And it's not about being "change averse" either. Lara Croft: Guardian of Light was a spectacular game in all ways, and has a huge fanbase on neoGAF and elsewhere. I love it too. So being different is fine. But one, Lara Croft was clearly not supposed to be the next-in-line in the main franchise. And two, it still clearly understood elements that were important to the TR franchise even in that re-imagining. From my demo hands-on, I got the impression that this team didn't understand a single thing about what made the franchise appealing originally.

Nizz

Because Hitman is fair solid? It's not the same team, but Underworld was pretty dated game & at the time was the normality shitty porting on ps3. I doubt this game will run that bad. But of course, if someone has seen the later build in action run so bad, I can retract.
Like I said before, I'd love to be proven wrong and the PS3 version turns out great. I'd gladly eat crow if that was the case.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! I want this game to be good, just like how I wanted AC3, DmC, BlackOps, Darksiders2, Binary Domain, Sleeping Dogs, but they all suck donkey balls performance-wise.
But then PS3 Underworld run like shit at some parts. :(
What worries me is how everything seen has been 360 so far, indicating that's the lead sku. On PS3 Underworld was missing the cool motion blur that the 360 version had. Plus it had a more stable framerate. They also clearly just brought over the 360 game pad layout from 360, and while that works great with the 360 pad's triggers with the PS3 triggers....not so much.

Having a PS3 only, I'm no stranger to getting weaker versions of games but the differences are smaller nowadays. Hell, Black Ops 2 improved over BO1 as far as framerate. Especially MP where it really counts, it's neck and neck with the 360. So anything's possible.

Amir0x

Banned
Not seeing the 'better' part, since combat is the last thing I want in a Tomb Raider.

but you wanted zip-lining while explosions occur behind you dramatically, right?

or slow motion QTE as you try to extract huge chunks of wood from your gut, surely?

Or EMOTION LARA CROFT where another studio takes a stab at GROUND BREAKING CINEMATIC STORYTELLING in which their vast writing talents are on display for all to see, of course?

Surely something tickles your fancy, NullPointer!

Top Bottom