• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raiders screenshots - You'll want to protect her

Kammie

Just like she can swim, but just not in this game.
I wonder how they're going to explain that. Oil from the tanker having spilled all over the sea? Her ankles giving her problems?

There's so many potential hazards, on top of those rapists.

The graphics look great and the sense of atmosphere seriously looks fantastic.

The negativity this game gets continues to baffle me.......game is looking HOT!

Amir0x

Banned
jesus christ

here goes pages upon pages of people listing exactly the reasons they have reservations about this game

response?

"I don't get the hate! It just baffles me!"
"YEAH GAF JUST HATES ON THINGS TO HATE, GAF HIVEMIND ARGH!"

Can you guys please put even the slightest bit of effort into your posts? Like, you know, read maybe a page and then respond to the points being raised if you're legitimately confused as to why there are concerns about this shit?

It's not that fucking much to ask

TripOpt55

The graphics look great and the sense of atmosphere seriously looks fantastic.

Yeah i dont get the hate, other than that its GAF and its cool to hate on shit like the year 2000

Tropes movement probably. Game looks good hope people give it a chance.

Yeah you guys are right. Why people have issues with this game is a total mystery. It's not like we've been explaining it for pages now (and many pages in old threads). We must just be hating on it for the fuck of it.

Posts like these drive me nuts.

Yopis

jesus christ

here goes pages upon pages of people listing exactly the reasons they have reservations about this game

response?

"I don't get the hate! It just baffles me!"
"YEAH GAF JUST HATES ON THINGS TO HATE, GAF HIVEMIND ARGH!"

Can you guys please put even the slightest bit of effort into your posts? Like, you know, read maybe a page and then respond to the points being raised if you're legitimately confused as to why there are concerns about this shit?

It's not that fucking much to ask

Translation ( agree with me or your stupid) lol. Simmer down sgt slaughter opinions and expectations are different.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh noes, our posts are not to the liking of the TR hater club leaders, oh noeeeeessssssss.

Geez guys calm the hell down. Make a post saying we dont get the hate, looks cool, then get pillaged and beheaded by the angry mobs.

Amir0x

Banned
Are you guys unironically making these posts now? Like, you're not shitting us?

You guys said you're BAFFLED by the hate. Kingi, you made the embarrassing implication that there is some GAF HIVEMIND behind the hate, because "GAF just likes to hate things."

Instead of putting the time or effort to respect your fellow posters enough to read what the fuck they're saying, you casually dismiss HUNDREDS of posts which answer your confusion in great detail and try to label it as some sort of mass GAF hate delirium. You either are comically unaware of what you just posted five seconds ago or you're fucking with us.

It's not about being calm or not - it's about expecting you to contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way, as per this fucking stickied thread that was just made a week ago.

Evilore said:
Bottom line, if you've typed something up that resembles a Youtube comment, don't hit submit.

As if you should need a sticky thread to tell you this.

I gotta agree with these guys, this game looks radical and I don't understand the hate either. It's like Uncharted without Uncharted Guy and with Uncharted Girl instead. And bows. AWESOME.

TripOpt55

Oh noes, our posts are not to the liking of the TR hater club leaders, oh noeeeeessssssss.

Geez guys calm the hell down. Make a post saying we dont get the hate, looks cool, then get pillaged and beheaded by the angry mobs.

No you are insinuating that people are hating on it to be cool. Or its just GAF being GAF or some crap like that. Its annoying and undermines those of us who have stated legitimate criticisms and worries about the game. We don't care if you agree, but don't dismiss our opinions with some BS like that.

Heck, I'm somewhere in the middle of this debate. I'm still excited for this game, but also worried about some of the things they are doing. It doesn't make posts like your original one any less annoying.

dreamfall

Huge Tomb Raider fan here.

These screenshots- what the hell is with all the action shots?! If we've got an open world, why can't we have better exploration/navigational puzzles? Will this game include it? Or just shooting guys with firearms?

The hate- while perhaps premature- is justified. The worst aspect of every and any Tomb Raider game is an emphasis on combat. I'm hoping this won't turn into an action game, heavy on scripted firefights. Uncharted does it well, but I'm not the biggest shooter fan anyway.

I'm excited, but not because of any of the promotional screens/commentary. The idea of survival & exploration in a Tomb Raider game has such great promise, hoping it makes good on a little bit of it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
No you are insinuating that people are hating on it to be cool. Or its just GAF being GAF or some crap like that. Its annoying and undermines those of us who have stated legitimate criticisms and worries about the game. We don't care if you agree, but don't dismiss our opinions with some BS like that.

Heck, I'm somewhere in the middle of this debate. I'm still excited for this game, but also worried about some of the things they are doing. It doesn't make posts like your original one any less annoying.

I will respond to you, as you arent wielding a pitchfork wanting my head, and just say i did not mean to belittle your opinions and explained criticisms toward this game. I apologize if i offended you.

TripOpt55

I will respond to you, as you arent wielding a pitchfork wanting my head, and just say i did not mean to belittle your opinions and explained criticisms toward this game. I apologize if i offended you.

And I was probably overreacting a bit. I see posts like this a lot in various topics and apparently seeing a few in a row in here pushed me over the edge... haha. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh.

Game looks great. As long as it ends up with you exploring a wide variety of amazing looking tombs, swimming in forgotten pools, solving the devious traps of the ancient labyrinth, and doesn't have brownish environments or an emphasis on combat (especially combat against humans) it can't go wrong.

Seriously though, even though it is true this game seems to be missing most of the appeal of the Tomb Raider franchise, the fact is none of the TR games up until now have been great games. It has just always seemed like there was the potential for a great game. Maybe this game, while not seeming to have much potential in concept, will actually work out.

Yopis

Game looks great. As long as it ends up with you exploring a wide variety of amazing looking tombs, swimming in forgotten pools, solving the devious traps of the ancient labyrinth, and doesn't have brownish environments or an emphasis on combat (especially combat against humans) it can't go wrong.

Seriously though, even though it is true this game seems to be missing most of the appeal of the Tomb Raider franchise, the fact is none of the TR games up until now have been great games. It has just always seemed like there was the potential for a great game. Maybe this game, while not seeming to have much potential in concept, will actually work out.

Own all of the games in the series. (first runs not hd remakes). Very first tomb raider ps1 is my fav. Legend was fun also. Hope this entry turns out the same.

I'd say that the first two TR games were great. They haven't aged well, but that's mainly a control issue. If someone were to just remake them with modern controls, then they'd still be fantastic due to the level and puzzle designs.

CD did a great job resurrecting the series after Core fell off. But they've never matched what Core did at the height of the series quality and popularity.

Ninjimbo

CD has produced 4 solid games in this series. Some of those being among the best in the franchise. It baffles me that people are so willing to jump to conclusions based on five minutes of footage in what's supposed to be a ten hour game.

The only impressions we've gotten are from an intro demo that lasted about a few minutes. That's hardly anything to go by and I'm seriously wondering why anyone would read so much into what's essentially a tutorial.

CD has said there would be hubs to explore and solve puzzles. After their recent work, I think they're deserving of my trust. Game Informer did a preview where they mentioned seeing alternate routes they couldn't access because they were missing abilities. That tells me we'll be backtracking at least ala Metroid. Besides after Underworld, where they explored the hub idea I believe they're talking about, it makes sense for TR to evolve into that direction. Underworld had some huge, excellent levels too.

Those linear action sequences people are going crazy about have also been in the previous games. Legend and Underworld had full on shooting sequences where Lara was doing backflips while shooting people with a magic sword. They were dumb fun and totally harmless. The combat sequences they've shown in the new game look about a dozen times more fun so I don't understand why that should be a concern.

My only real concern is the story. CD has completely failed in that department so far, and hiring the writer behind Mirror's Edge to craft the story for this game doesn't fill me with confidence. At least CD seems to be taking story more seriously than DICE ever will. Still, I'm not expecting a well-told story.

I'd say that the first two TR games were great. They haven't aged well, but that's mainly a control issue. If someone were to just remake them with modern controls, then they'd still be fantastic due to the level and puzzle designs.

I agree the first 2 are the best, although the only other ones I've played are Legend and Underworld. I wouldn't quite call them great, but then again it's been a while. That's what I mean by potential. It seems like if they could just improve a little on the design of 1 and 2, along with the astronomically better graphics, it would be great.

But it hasn't happened. Legend and Underworld fell short. Anniversary is the most relevant, since that is exactly what it tried to do, but it doesn't seem like TR fans consider it to have fully worked either. How many iterations can you go through trying the same thing, and having it not quite work, before you might as well try something else?

I was once looking forward to this game because I do agree that there has always been an untapped potential in the Tomb Raider series. The games are pure adventure, and something that can usually improve this genre is offering more open environments and exploration. Tomb Raider is, by and large, a fairly linear experience, what with its continuous stream of levels that mostly funnel you along a sort of obstacle course. You never really got the feeling that you were actually exploring tombs of your own accord - more like you were just strapped in for a (fairly enjoyable) ride.

When I heard about this new game featuring a more open, Metroidvania-esque approach, I was thrilled as this is something I always wanted the series to be. I want to be able to explore every crevice of an island, or a massive pyramid, or a sprawling underground dungeon filled with dead ends and various sub-chambers, all at my own pace. I don't want to be funneled through LEVELS. Something like Skyrim, for example, saw me in this massive world scavenging my way through pots and bookshelves looking for loot. Minecraft had that amazing unknown element of "what will I find when I start digging into this rock?" These games felt more like actual 'tomb raiding' than a lot of what's in the TR games. Enemy encounters in older TR games are also something that always felt like they should be more dynamic, and this is easily accomplished in an open world. When a tiger jumps at me while i'm probing a ship wreck, I want that to be a unique little story which happened to manifest itself in my playthrough rather than something manufactured by the developers. That's what 'tomb raiding' should be about, the unexpected.

I said at the start of this post "I was once looking forward", and the reason for the past tense is not so much because of poor screenshots like this. It's due to the gameplay demos shown thus far which portray a game that looks even more linear than before, like some heavily scripted pseudo-Uncharted experience. Now, it's likely that the demos are misrepresenting the game and that there is still a Metroidvania open world game in there, but recent titles like Hitman Absolution and Splinter Cell have me worried about the legitimacy of developer promises. I'm still hoping, deep down, that they stay true to what I originally hoped it would be like, but it's not looking good for many reasons beyond just the visuals.

I was once looking forward to this game because I do agree that there has always been an untapped potential in the Tomb Raider series. The games are pure adventure, and something that can usually improve this genre is offering more open environments and exploration. Tomb Raider is, by and large, a fairly linear experience, what with its continuous stream of levels that mostly funnel you along a sort of obstacle course. You never really got the feeling that you were actually exploring tombs of your own accord - more like you were just strapped in for a (fairly enjoyable) ride.

When I heard about this new game featuring a more open, Metroidvania-esque approach, I was thrilled as this is something I always wanted the series to be. I want to be able to explore every crevice of an island, or a massive pyramid, or a sprawling underground dungeon filled with dead ends and various sub-chambers, all at my own pace. I don't want to be funneled through LEVELS. Something like Skyrim, for example, saw me in this massive world scavenging my way through pots and bookshelves looking for loot. Minecraft had that amazing unknown element of "what will I find when I start digging into this rock?" These games felt more like actual 'tomb raiding' than a lot of what's in the TR games. Enemy encounters in older TR games are also something that always felt like they should be more dynamic, and this is easily accomplished in an open world. When a tiger jumps at me while i'm probing a ship wreck, I want that to be a unique little story which happened to manifest itself in my playthrough rather than something planned by the developers. That's what "tomb raiding" should be about, the unexpected.

I said at the start of this post "I was once looking forward", and the reason for the past tense is not so much because of poor screenshots like this. It's due to the gameplay demos shown thus far which portray a game that looks even more linear than before, like some heavily scripted pseudo-Uncharted experience. Now, it's likely that the demos are misrepresenting the game and that there is still a Metroidvania open world game in there, but recent titles like Hitman Absolution and Splinter Cell have me worried about the legitimacy of developer promises. I'm still hoping, deep down, that they stay true to what I originally hoped it would be like, but it's not looking good for many reasons beyond just the visuals.

Not sure why they wouldn't show at least ONE real dungeon just to show people what kind of environmental puzzles the player will be dealing with, maybe not at a game expo, but release some footage showing puzzle and traversal rather than combat because the combat is not going to be up to par with what's already out there, that's not what Crystal Dynamics is good at.

Visually it looks just a tad dated, not sure there's anything they can do at this point, they're just not in the same league as the likes of Naughty Dog and Epic.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes it is.I think it was a PR guy who said that this game will make us say "i want to protect Lara."

Truly baffling.

Especially with the "A Survivor Is Born" shtick.

It's like, two contradicting stuff, hahaha.

However, for whatever its worth, I am definitely looking forward to this. Hopefully in the end it can be a good product that many can enjoy.

Lime

Yeah i dont get the hate, other than that its GAF and its cool to hate on shit like the year 2000

Translation ( agree with me or your stupid) lol. Simmer down sgt slaughter opinions and expectations are different.

If you guys have a hard time understanding any criticism of the released PR material, try to read the actual posts that display this criticism, instead of this unfounded drive-by trolling.

Tropes movement probably. Game looks good hope people give it a chance.

You have got to be kidding me.

SuperÑ;45017353 said:
This game's gonna bomb hard, i have *that* feeling :(

Unfortunately, I was thinking the exact same thing. It looks like a great game and I plan on acquiring it ASAP, but I have a feeling that most gamers will turn away from it because you play a female protagonist, Tomb Raider games don't seem as popular as before and it sort looks sort of "unique".

Lime

Unfortunately, I was thinking the exact same thing. It looks like a great game and I plan on acquiring it ASAP, but I have a feeling that most gamers will turn away from it because you play a female protagonist, Tomb Raider games don't seem as popular as before and it sort looks sort of "unique".

The TR brand is still really strong though, so people outside gaming enthusiasts circles might pick it up regardless.

But I agree that it probably won't sell very much and/or be profitable. Too many years in development and it'll be tough for the game to sell above 2 million.

ArjanN

Truly baffling.

Especially with the "A Survivor Is Born" shtick.

It's like, two contradicting stuff, hahaha.

However, for whatever its worth, I am definitely looking forward to this. Hopefully in the end it can be a good product that many can enjoy.

Eh it's sort of an origin story, so she'll be weak at a the start and a badass at the end, not really a contradiction.

The "you want to protect her" stuff didn't really bother me either. The Walking Dead (for example) manipulates the audience like that pretty much non-stop. Although him flatout saying it like that might have been showing the man behind the curtain a bit too much.

If you guys have a hard time understanding any criticism of the released PR material, try to read the actual posts that display this criticism, instead of this unfounded drive-by trolling.

Legitimate criticism aside, there's also a lot of 'lolollololol protect her lolollz' posting in these Tomb Raider threads.

Momentary

Banned
Whoa! What's up with the Vaseline on these screenschots?. Gotta be from a console. I could have sworn this game looked better at E3. I don't mind the action shots... Still looks great, though I remember the IQ not looking so blurry. The version they show at the expo must have been on PC.

Sanctuary

May i ask which Tomb Raider games you have played?
And as you said yourself they are thematically similar.Just not in terms of gameplay.

The original TR games had their focus on gameplay (platforming,environment hazzards,puzzles) while Crystal's games were emphasizing (just like Uncharted) on story,character and some light puzzles with magnetic platforming.In Crystal's games the gameplay was build around Lara while in the classic TR Lara was just a "tool" to make the gameplay shine.Combat was never a big focus even in the most heavy combat TR games.Even in TR2 (probably the TR with the most combat) the platforming,exploration and puzzles far outweighted the shooting parts.

The only similarities Uncharted has with Crystal's TR games is that they both share the same light platforming and casual puzzles as well as the emphasis on story and character.
However Tomb Raider existed (and thrived) long before Crystal took over and its fundamentals are vastly different than Crystal's games and more so than Uncharted.

The Tomb Raiders that I played were from Core design (1-3 and Revelations). I had honestly stopped following the franchise after those, so I had no idea that another development team took over. I knew of Crystal Dynamics of course, but I didn't know that they had taken over.

Amir0x

Banned
Legitimate criticism aside, there's also a lot of 'lolollololol protect her lolollz' posting in these Tomb Raider threads.

I agree the joke is tired and lame, but man there have been so many attempts at this point to elaborate in extreme detail as to why people have reservations or criticisms that to state one is 'baffled' by the "hate" just suggests one refuses to read, or is unable to. Then to do what Kingi did, and try to dismiss the hate as some sort of GAF "hivemind fad", where's it's "cool to hate" something is really insulting. Everyone on neoGAF is their own person, and many of these individuals have described respectfully and with great detail the reasons why it is.

I think it's perfectly legitimate to LOVE this Tomb Raider game. The reasons I don't like it is that it's not Tomb Raider. But what if you don't care about that? Maybe you just want more Uncharted-like games, or high octane action properties. That's all fine. I just think it's messed up to try to act perplexed and confused as to why others might instead criticize the product, implying you don't even spent the time to read their positions and are so lazy you have to fall back on "GAF Hivemind" nonsense.

inky

You have got to be kidding me.

It's the new "haters gonna hate".

Added these to the OP

screenshot_294325.jpg

screenshot_294324.jpg

cc0fd0bbad564e7acb0c22e3bfe53d35.jpg

Top Bottom