• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for FURIOSA : A Mad Max Saga

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Mad Max movies should star Mad Max, ideally.

But maybe George Miller didn’t have enough gas in the tank at his advanced age to do another ambitious new vision and cripplingly difficult production. This way he gets to extend what he already did with Fury Road.

It's pretty obvious he's too old and tired to try to recreate the practical, kinetic brilliance of the original films. Which is fair enough. But this does feel like a bit of a last gasp, rather than a brand new chapter.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think George Miller moving away from this aesthetic (tangible and natural)

MV5BMjMxMDQxMDAyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzcxMTM2NTE@._V1_.jpg

to high contrast colors, with a ton of cgi (a trend that started with fury road) is such a downgrade.

Sigh. Agreed.

The outback around Broken Hill is such a barren, vast place, it's a character all of its own. You could still make a damned effective Mad Max film with virtually no CG. but it wouldn't be the big , popcorn action movie the studio so clearly wants.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sigh. Agreed.

The outback around Broken Hill is such a barren, vast place, it's a character all of its own. You could still make a damned effective Mad Max film with virtually no CG. but it wouldn't be the big , popcorn action movie the studio so clearly wants.
I fear the reason why we don't see more practical effects is that Hollywood CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE. No stunt men, set and prop designers, car handlers, rigs capable of catching the action, insurance companies that would underwrite it, or actors willing to put up with laborious in camera stuff and location shooting when greenscreen studios are just down the street from their condo. The ridiculous costs of making real sets likely reflects the scarcity of production teams versus CGI houses these days rather than a real world economic issue.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I fear the reason why we don't see more practical effects is that Hollywood CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE. No stunt men, set and prop designers, car handlers, rigs capable of catching the action, insurance companies that would underwrite it, or actors willing to put up with laborious in camera stuff and location shooting when greenscreen studios are just down the street from their condo. The ridiculous costs of making real sets likely reflects the scarcity of production teams versus CGI houses these days rather than a real world economic issue.

The thing is, they apparently did go back out to Broken Hill and Silverton to film this movie... and still smeared CGI garbage over everything.

CG really has made Hollywood fucking lazy.

FeralEcho

Making a whole movie about Furiosa and her past is so stupid,part of her charm is that she is mysterious,you don't have to know everything about her,Hollywood nowadays thinks that just because they put their pronouns on twitter that even the characters in their movies have to show all their life to the audience.
Taylor joy is a great actress but this is miscast.

It’s like putting Tom Holland in a Rambo reboot.
Just give them a few years,I wouldn't put it past them...

Lunarorbit

I can't take Anya Taylor joy seriously as furiosa or any action star. She definitely didn't have the it factor. Her eyes are way too emotion less for how large they are.

I'm a Chris Hemsworth fan but him being in this is too distracting. Really wish Charlize or hardy was the focus of this one. Thought her character was great but I don't want to watch another actress play it

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Why do they always have to pick the most basic songs possible?... David Bowie and (I guess) Nirvana have other songs, you know?

Anyway, I feel like Furiosa works better as a character the more ambiguous she is.

Sometimes explaining or expanding on a character is not the best idea.

But I hope it's good, I guess.
I wondered if anyone would comment on this, I hate this trend of using either cover versions of songs or, as with this trailer, orchestrating part of a song.

I assume anything that gets a flicker of recognition is a win.

Ultimately this doesn't feel like music though, it's more sound design. I think music as most people would describe it in the past is out of favour.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I wondered if anyone would comment on this, I hate this trend of using either cover versions of songs or, as with this trailer, orchestrating part of a song.

I assume anything that gets a flicker of recognition is a win.

Ultimately this doesn't feel like music though, it's more sound design. I think music as most people would describe it in the past is out of favour.
It's all about giving people something that they can recognize, even if it's unconsciously vs. having to create anything new....

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's all about giving people something that they can recognize, even if it's unconsciously vs. having to create anything new....
Yeah, that's what I meant by "flicker of recognition", I'm pretty sure it's not about not wanting something new - there's no shortage of composers wanting to work.

It's pretty sad though, that films apparently aren't able to stand on their own merit.

Good choice though - David Bowie and Nirvana - hits two generations at once with one three note melody.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Mad Max movies should star Mad Max, ideally.

But maybe George Miller didn’t have enough gas in the tank at his advanced age to do another ambitious new vision and cripplingly difficult production. This way he gets to extend what he already did with Fury Road.
He couldve just continued with another Tom Hardy movie in that universe though.

This is so silly. i was just complaining about Alan Wake 2 starring a woman who is NOT Alan Wake. now they are wondering why the game flopped. ND did something similar with Joel in TLOU2. Switching leads after just one game. Its like if Harry Potter 2 killed off Harry Potter at the start of the movie and hermoine took the lead for the next 6 books. its so stupid.

This thing doesnt even have Charlise Theron who was amazing and who literally made that character memorable. So recasting her with a lesser actress is so ridiculous.

Kreen101

This thing doesnt even have Charlise Theron who was amazing and who literally made that character memorable. So recasting her with a lesser actress is so ridiculous.
In their defence, the storyline for this movie was written back when they wrote the script for Fury Road, as the idea was for all the main characters to have a backstory that wouldn't be shown in the movie but would contribute to the actors' understanding of their characters. So if they were going to turn Furiosa's backstory into a movie, it was always going to be a prequel, and it was always going to require a recasting of the lead -- as the character is much younger in this story.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Charlize Theron is GREAT. But she's pushing 50. Might be a bit of a push to get her to play what appears to be her character in her early 20s?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It didnt have to be this story. They couldve simply continued her arc.

I don't know what to say, really.

Maybe they don't have a good story to conclude her arc? Maybe this film sets up events in the film you want to see.

Maybe Charlize Theron doesn't want to do another one. Maybe she's too busy. Any number of a million reasons.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Maybe they don't have a good story to conclude her arc? Maybe this film sets up events in the film you want to see.

Maybe Charlize Theron doesn't want to do another one. Maybe she's too busy. Any number of a million reasons.
Not much to say. I am simply saying that when i want to see a Mad Max movie, id rather see Mad Max in it. Same goes for Harry Potter, James Bond, Alan Wake and Jon Wick. Just a small annoyance i have with these spinoffs.

They want to make another one... after this prequel.

Urban

The problem with prequels are, that we already know, that the protagonist will survive everything. So we as an audience wont get that sense of "danger" for the protagonist.
CGI looks really terrible

Mr1999

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong here, but there seems to be a lot of posing going on with all these new movies. It doesn't look natural and it seems to be getting worse, not just with movies either..

thefool

Agreed.

Look how plastic, shiny, fake it looks. It's even hard do discern textures on it. Background doesn't look real.

dndbiv1a4g.jpg

vs

Road Warrior is not a big budget film, I'm positive he could have vastly improved and widen the scope of this naturalistic style. But it feels like an actual nightmarish post-apocalyptic setting, its scarier, you can easily see the rust, she looks like a real person in a wasteland grabbing a gun.

1412522.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom