• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trend of releasing higher priced version of a game earlier

So I just came to know about Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate edition being released earlier. (Ultimate on 23rd and Normal on 27th)

What do you guys think of this?
IMO it's not a good thing. It's just publishers being greedy and trying to exploit the hype. If this becomes a norm, then it will be the DLC of this gaming generation.

Ubisoft can have a field day with this.
Ultimate edition 10 days early and Special edition 5 days early. Pay more to play earlier.

Who started this? EA with their EA access thing? Did previous Forza games also have it?

EDIT:

Adding few details for clarification:

1. The extra price is NOT ONLY for playing early. The Ultimate Edition has lot of extra stuff like VIP Pass/Season Pass etc.
2. The early release is for both Digital and Physical release. So game is actually capable of being shipped on 23rd, its completely ready. This actually should make everyone think that the standard edition is the one that is delayed.
3. Below games so far have done this/are going to do this. Some of them are only pre-order bonus and some have seaon pass/extra content as well:

Battlefield 1:
Battlefield™ 1 Early Enlister Deluxe Edition allows you to play 3 days early i.e on 18th October.
Has bunch of weapon packs and map packs free too.

Forza 6
Forza Motorsport 6 Ultimate Edition included VIP Pass and car packs. Owners got to play 5 days early i.e on 9/10/2015.

Forza Horizon 3
Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition includes VIP Pass and car packs. Owners get to play 5 days early i.e. on 9/23.

Gears 4
Gears of War 4 Ultimate Edition allows you start playing Gears of War 4 four days earlier, starting on October 7. The Ultimate Edition includes the Season Pass.

NBA 2K16/17
NBA 2K16 preorders were shipped/available 4 days early i.e on 25th September 2015. There was NO extra money involved.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided had something similar planned, but it seemed way more blatant, so there was a huge backlash and it was canceled.

However, almost all of the above editions highlight that "YOU GET TO PLAY EARLY" part the most.

I don't care, it's a cheap way of making money.

It doesn't harm my enjoyment of the game whatsoever like microtransactions and some DLC do.

Hjod

Banned
I would never buy a super delux edition to play the game early. If people wants to that, fine by me, but I won't.

But I can see how more and more publishers will do this, and it sucks.

It doesn't harm my enjoyment of the game whatsoever like microtransactions and some DLC do.

Agreed, MTs is the worst.

packy34

Battlefield 1 is doing it too, and not just the EA Access trial. Pay an extra 20 to play 3 days early.

Kacho

Yes, Forza 6 did this early release thing and I'm ok with the way Forza does it. You get the season pass + other things and early access. I'm willing to pay extra for this game whereas I wouldn't for say Assassins Creed.

Its a hunch ive been having that developers wanna sell the base game st a higher price, dont know if the current market will allow that, so have taken to having a version with some stuff chopped out as the core game, and the usually more expensive ultimate editions as the one they market because unlike last gen, as games got more expensive to develop, the base price never went up

Mechazawa

I actually really like it. People
(suckers)
play the game a few days early, I get to hear gameplay/performance related impressions.

Shit was a lifesaver for the No Man's Sky PC release.

Domstercool

So I just came to know about Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate edition being released earlier. (Ultimate on 23rd and Normal on 27th)

What do you guys think of this?
IMO it's not a good thing. It's just publishers being greedy and trying to exploit the hype. If this becomes a norm, then it will be the DLC of this gaming generation.

Ubisoft can have a field day with this.
Ultimate edition 10 days early and Special edition 5 days early. Pay more to play earlier.

Who started this? EA with their EA access thing? Did previous Forza games also have it?

Forza 6 had it.

I don't think it's a bad thing in terms of that we aren't actually paying for early access. The bundle is for the season pass and other content, just early access comes with it. Before, you'd just get all that but without having it a few days early.

Now, if you had to pay extra just for that, then yeah, that would be fucked up.

Battlefield 1 is doing it, too, and not just through EA Access. They even call it the "Early Enlister" edition.

Personally, I don't care for single-player games. It seems unfair to give some people an early headstart in multiplayer games, though.

shanafan

It's giving players choice, and rewarding them for said choice. The standard edition still comes out soon after. I don't see an issue with it. People like having choice, and this is one example of such.

On the topic of Forza Horizon 3, the ultimate edition comes with additional items so giving the player an earlier crack at the game is a nice gesture to go with those additional items.

I remember Activision did a poll asking players for COD Advanced Warfare if they wanted in-game bonuses or a beta. Players chose the beta. Gamers want to play earlier if possible.

DrArchon

Is this a real thing? That's crazy. I get why they would do that, but I'm more familiar with stuff like early access on Steam where you pay less to get the game earlier, even if it's unfinished.

I mean, if people are willing to buy the game day 1, then they're willing to buy it day -5 I guess.

If people want to pay a premium for it, why not? It is not going to impact my enjoyment of the game.

It's not that. The game is actually ready on 23rd and without this scheme that would have been the release date. They just want to push the date and get people to pay more.

AHA-Lambda

I don't care, it's a cheap way of making money.

This.

I can easily a wait a couple of days without wanting to pay an extra £10-15 or whatever, and my game playing experience is not affected

RPGam3r

I'm not going to be upset with how people want to spend their money. If you don't like it wait till standard release

There are always early leaked copies and regions that have late releases. So, it is not really that harmful but it is a disgusting new gaming trend.

Zafir

If people want to pay a premium for it, why not? It is not going to impact my enjoyment of the game.
Well, we're in a world where MP levels means you get access to more(often better) weapons. So I'd say it can impact, if you care about MP.

Its a hunch ive been having that developers wanna sell the base game st a higher price, dont know if the current market will allow that, so have taken to having a version with some stuff chopped out as the core game, and the usually more expensive ultimate editions as the one they market because unlike last gen, as games got more expensive to develop, the base price never went up

I don't have a source, but I'm fairly certain I read that without the early access pricing, certain content wouldn't even exist. So it's not always a case of a full game being carved up purely to enable nefarious early access price gouging.

packy34

It's not that. The game is actually ready on 23rd and without this scheme that would have been the release date. They just want to push the date and get people to pay more.

And?

If people want to pay extra for that, they will, and the market will shift. It's way less predatory than cut content sold as day one DLC. You aren't losing anything.

Bog

Junior Ace
I noticed this last night when I saw someone mention Forza being released this week. Like hell I'm paying $100 to play it this weekend. Oh, right, but I'm also getting 42 cars for a game I won't still be playing in March (when the final pack releases).

DJIzana

You see this with just CE bundles in general. 300 for a single game? I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on even something like FFXV. The only figures I'd consider worthwhile spending money on would be Amiibo or ones from Granblue Fantasy... Even then...

Bisonian

Back when MMO's were still popular, it was very common to get early access to the servers with a preorder and/or a collector's edition upgrade.

DirtyLarry

Just as an FYI, as I purchased the Ultimate Edition of FH3, none of us who did say are paying for the privilege to play early. It is an incentive, or dare I even say a Thank You, for purchasing the equivalent of Forza's version of the Season Pass up front (VIP and Car Pass).
I did not spend any additional money to play the game early that I would not have spent otherwise picking up those two passes on their own.

So because of this fact, I see no problem at all for it. Now if they were in fact charging for it, I would not support it myself. But since the price is the same as the base game plus purchasing the two passes separately, as I said, I even will go as far as seeing it as a Thank You for the dev and MS for supporting their game.

I would like someone here that works at a publisher to explain how this works. Maybe the early date is actually bad as a real launch day, but there's no loss because it's only for preorders.

I think of these early launches like timed exclusive DLC.

NewDust

I can see it as a bonus to the "ultra crazy hype!11!1 you-get-everything deluxe" edition. These are either for the fans, or the people who where going to pre-order the game regardless. Can't really be bothered if you get burned by your pre-order habits (Don't pre-order!). But I'm afraid it will lead to a pre-order tier where the only (substantial) reward is an early unlock. Then that early unlock window will get bigger, first one week, then two weeks... essentially upping the price of a base game, with less consumer protection.

vypek

If people are hyped enough to spend extra money, let them. I think plenty of people can control themselves to wait a few days to save money

Hektor

Thing with this is that you maybe right now pay to get the game earlier, this "earlier" will at some point just become the standard release and the people who don't pay that additional fee will get the game later instead. There is literally nothing good coming out of business decisions like this for the consumer.

Wait, Deus Ex also had this?

It was supposed to cut they cancelled it after backlash.

Allforce

Nowadays game prices drop like a stone after release, sometimes as quickly as 2 weeks (Mirrors Edge, Doom, new Deus Ex).

Because game sales or so front-loaded and drop off so quickly and dramatically, publishers see that relatively large section of consumers who are all-in on the "DAY ONE!"-culture as another revenue stream.

I guess I don't really see anything wrong with it, personally I can wait a month after release to get a game for 30-50% off and be totally fine with it, other people want it as fast as possible so it's only logical the publishers would take advantage.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
It's like whales in F2P games. They pay so I can play for free.

With this they pay so maybe I get maps for free, more content etc.

>"New trend"
>Lists one game

- Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition
- Deus Ex Mankind Divided pre-order bonus granted 4 day early access, but this was cancelled due to fan outcry
- Battlefield 1 special edition
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition (no extra cost, this one technically just made the release date a Monday)
- NBA 2K17 Early Tip Off Edition

This has also been a thing in some MMO's, although it's actually a good idea there to prevent players bunching in a single area.

Zafir

Not just 17. Last years NBA has a early access period too.

That said, last years it wasn't buying a higher priced edition, it was a pre-order bonus. Not quite the same thing. Not sure what they did with 17 as I didn't follow it.

Top Bottom