• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trend of releasing higher priced version of a game earlier

Hektor

Ok... So look at it as "It release on October the 12th for people buying it day one". Problem solved.

If you weren't going to buy it day 1, then why do you care if I play it earlier than you?

That you're getting to play the game isn't even part of the equation in my case.

The game is getting delayed for me, because im not willing to blindly pre-order it.

Just pretending this isn't the case doesn't make this issue go away, as you imply in your first paragraph.

The game is being withhold from a subset of customers to give the subset of preordering customers completely artifical, actually worthless "value".

The people who preorder don't get fuckin' anything, they get to play the game on the date it would've been released regardless, but the people that don't preorder are getting punished.

ElNino

Frankly, I think Microsoft's handling of this for Forza & Gears 4 is the shitty angle. They're charging $40 extra for early access, without enough content to justify that investment (Forza's $100 edition doesn't even contain the season pass.)
FH3 Ultimate Edition includes the VIP and Car Pass, just not the Expansion Pass which is consistent with previous Forza games. The early access bonus is not adding anything to the price.

The people who preorder don't get fuckin' anything, they get to play the game on the date it would've been released regardless, but the people that don't preorder are getting punished.
No, the people who pre-ordered would have got the game on day one just like everyone else. If not for the early access, the game still would release on the day it is now.

Deluxe edition also has some skins and 5 battlepacks (gives you skins and unlocks). Then there is also Ultimate Edition that comes with all of that and season pass.

Ehhh. Depending on how many skins....that's not too great of a deal. How much are battlepacks normally? $19.99 for skins and 5 battlepacks sounds steep, but I don't play battlefield regularly so I'm not sure. Unless they give you a exorbitant number of skins.

Really sorry for the accidental double post!

MouldyK

Frankly, I think Microsoft's handling of this for Forza & Gears 4 is the shitty angle. They're charging $40 extra for early access, without enough content to justify that investment (Forza's $100 edition doesn't even contain the season pass.)

Forza H3 on it's own: £49.99

Car Pass: £24.99 (The Car Pass brings you six monthly car packs (7 cars each))
All-Stars Pack: £8.39 (10 Cars)
VIP: £16.74 (VIP members receive five exclusive VIP cars. VIPs will receive additional benefits such as VIP wheel spins with extra rewards each time you level up, access to exclusive online events, community gifts, and more)

Total Price: £100.11

Ultimate Edition: £79.99

------

Say what you will about the prices of each item, but the Ultimate Edition is the best way to go for Fans of the game even before you get the Early Access.

FH3 Ultimate Edition includes the VIP and Car Pass, just not the Expansion Pass which is consistent with previous Forza games. The early access bonus is not adding anything to the price.

Even then, the VIP Membership gets it reduced aswell:

Expansion Pass without VIP: £29.24
Expansion Pass with VIP: £20.99

If this is only for digital versions, then it means they can skip the lag of manufacturing. Which means you are actually getting it earlier than you would have otherwise.

If it includes optical disc versions, then ignore what I just wrote.

(also, staggered releases at different price points is not a novel concept, even to games)

ElNino

Even then, the VIP Membership gets it reduced aswell:

Expansion Pass without VIP: £29.24
Expansion Pass with VIP: £20.99
Cool, last time I checked the Expansion Pass wasn't discounted for me (UE/VIP owner), but maybe I need to go from in the game?

I know Storm Island was discounted 50% for VIP, so I was hoping it would be the same this time as well.

If this is only for digital versions, then it means they can skip the lag of manufacturing. Which means you are actually getting it earlier than you would have otherwise.

If it includes optical disc versions, then ignore what I just wrote.

(also, staggered releases at different price points is not a novel concept, even to games)
For FH3 at least, it included the physical version as well. Was able to pick up the game on Friday ahead of the following Tuesday release date.

Mascot

That you're getting to play the game isn't even part of the equation in my case.

The game is getting delayed for me, because im not willing to blindly pre-order it.

Just pretending this isn't the case doesn't make this issue go away, as you imply in your first paragraph.

The game is being withhold from a subset of customers to give the subset of preordering customers completely artifical, actually worthless "value".

This is the truth.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
People defend this shit? Gaming is doomed for sure.

That's some hyperbolic shit.

People act like publishers are charging more just to play early, when it's just adding another perk to ultimate editions that include seasons passes and/or extra content as they always have.

Honestly, the nerd rage over this just comes across (and probably is in many cases) as jealous from broke folks that can't afford ultimate editions and/or the petty folks just opposed to DLC and season passes on principle. Which ignores that many these days are good as save me money by extending my games and leading to me buying fewer games a year due to playing my favorites more.

Top Bottom