• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trend of releasing higher priced version of a game earlier

I wanted the gears console and got this "bonus" in return.
Im not really sure how i feel about it becoming a major thing.

But ill be honest and say i wont give any fucks when im on gears in only 8 days

Now I feel bad for making this thread. I really need improve my game of finding existing threads :/

Well, that thread is specifically for versions of games that are more expensive, while your's is about pre-ordering in general. Wouldn't say they are about the same thing.

What you are talking about is much more common

Worst trend. Basically the release date for the game is however many days "early" and you are just paying a premium so you don't have to wait for an arbitrary amount of time. And conversely those that don't pay this premium have their access to an already released game gated.

As long as they aren't charging more to play early, I'm okay with it.

I see nothing wrong with letting those who preorder play a bit early as a "thank you".

Trup1aya

We had a thread like this already.

I don't see the big deal. Someone wants to spend $ to play early before everyone else so be it. I generally don't see the value in it, so I don't do it.

This practice sure beats prices going up to offset the rising cost of game development.

Voras

I wouldn't even call it a new trend, a number of MMOs did this years ago. I remember SWTOR letting people play early through preorders back when it came out. I'm not surprised to see the concept spreading. It's another way to push preorders and get people to pay for a game before the reviews come out. And in the case of Forza Horizon 3 it's a way for them to push players into paying for the most expensive version of the game to get access to the game a few days early.

Mupod

paying extra for it is messed up. But there's no reason other than appeasing retail dinosaurs to keep us locked out of digital preorders because of some arbitrary release date, so if that's our only road to progress then so be it.

It makes some sense for MMOs to have some form of early access as a way to at least attempt to deal with launch day server issues. It's been a semi-common practice for a while now and almost ubiquitous for F2P MMOs. Blizzard takes player advantages more seriously than those so they just do things like let you play as Demon Hunters a bit early.

killroy87

You really believe that?

I do. I could give two shits about waiting three days.

Companies are going to do what it takes to get people to preorder, and until consumers at large take an actual, real stance and stop preordering games, they're gonna keep going.

Lunaniem

Setting early release for a pre-order bonus of standard editions doesn't make much sense given that every retailer lets you buy it on that day anyways regardless of pre-order.

They mixed the Preorder thing with an unlock blablabla thing for Deus Ex. There was no guarantee that you would get the 4 days early bonus, right?

Correct. They said if they reached "X" amount of preorders that it would be unlocked early. Doing that just turns the people that did preorder into PR Reps because getting other people to preorder would help get the game unlocked early for themselves.

Se_7_eN

I'm going to buy it anyway, why not pre-order and play it earlier than I expected?

Sounds like a win to me.

Zemm

"pre-order now and play before reviews come out because we don't know if they'll be good or bad but we want your money anyway"

Not catching me out on this again

Krakatoa

I think it worked really well for Horizon. Customers that wanted to jump in early could. I guess it also helped that the game was/is awesome.

Hektor

I'm going to buy it anyway, why not pre-order and play it earlier than I expected?

Sounds like a win to me.

Because you don't win anything at all, as that "earlier" would've been the standard releasedate if they wouldn't have been putting it behind a preorder lock.

I do. I could give two shits about waiting three days.

Companies are going to do what it takes to get people to preorder, and until consumers at large take an actual, real stance and stop preordering games, they're gonna keep going.

I was specifically reffering to him calling it an "alternative" as if we wouldn't end up having both.

I'm fine with preordering to play early at standard price but I'm not a fan of pay $99.99 to play four days early.

Who charges an extra $40 just to play early? I haven't seen that. Microsoft gave early access to the Ultimate editions of FH3 and gears 4, but those are the ultimate editions and come with a lot more stuff. The FH2 ultimate edition had the same thing as FH3 sans the early access. Gears 4 ultimate edition gets you skins, packs, and the season pass. Buying all of it seperately would cost more than $99.99

I think it's a mixed bag. In theory, there are ways to do it that avoid any scuzzy side-effects. Here's what I think the ideal situation is - and I think it's close to how Dishonored is handling it.

- Early release is benefit for preordering standard, $60 copy of game.
- Early access is not the only benefit for pre-ordering (IIRC, Dishonored 2 also nets you the first game free)
- Point of early access is not prior to the point of any review embargo. (In other words, reviews are out and cancelation is still an option if the game is low quality)
- Early access duration does not translate to an imbalance in the multiplayer player base (Doesn't apply for Dishonored, but you can see a situation where an early access player in an MP shooter can use the time to grind and have a severe competitive advantage during launch.)

Frankly, I think Microsoft's handling of this for Forza & Gears 4 is the shitty angle. They're charging $40 extra for early access, without enough content to justify that investment (Forza's $100 edition doesn't even contain the season pass.)

NeatoKuni

dishonored isn't charging more for the early access so i don't really have a problem with it (i don't have a problem with preordering in general). charging a premium price for 2 days is something i'd laugh at ever being offered but don't care about enough because it's just another option. it's like seeing 30$ next day shipping on a 5$ amazon order. The offers there and I'll let out a little chuckle when I read it, but I'm not "mad" it's there. if you have the disposable income go for it. The only thing that would make me angry is people using it to spoil others.

- Early access duration does not translate to an imbalance in the multiplayer player base
this is a good point, i don't play multiplayer so i hadn't thought of that.

I actually think this trend is great. What turned me around was the Forza Horizon 3 release. The PC port has significant issues, and being able to hear about those issues four days before the general release was great for anyone who didn't pony up the extra cash to play early, like me.

Does it suck for anyone with zero self-control? Yes. But as someone who is already not going to pay extra just to play early, the fact that other people are willing to do so has been a net gain for me so far because I get to hear from them if a game has issues. It's incredibly mercenary of me, I know.

Who charges an extra $40 just to play early? I haven't seen that. Microsoft gave early access to the Ultimate editions of FH3 and gears 4, but those are the ultimate editions and come with a lot more stuff. The FH2 ultimate edition had the same thing as FH3 sans the early access. Gears 4 ultimate edition gets you skins, packs, and the season pass. Buying all of it seperately would cost more than $99.99

Battlefield 1 early enlister is 79.99. So that's $20 to play 3 days earlier.

Eiolon

No desire to play unfinished, bug and glitch ridden games early. Have a hard enough time buying in launch because of it. Even harder time knowing the game will be 50% cheaper three months later and will also have many of the problems worked out then.

I think it's a mixed bag. In theory, there are ways to do it that avoid any scuzzy side-effects. Here's what I think the ideal situation is - and I think it's close to how Dishonored is handling it.

- Early release is benefit for preordering standard, $60 copy of game.
- Early access is not the only benefit for pre-ordering (IIRC, Dishonored 2 also nets you the first game free)
- Point of early access is not prior to the point of any review embargo. (In other words, reviews are out and cancelation is still an option if the game is low quality)
- Early access duration does not translate to an imbalance in the multiplayer player base (Doesn't apply for Dishonored, but you can see a situation where an early access player in an MP shooter can use the time to grind and have a severe competitive advantage during launch.)

Frankly, I think Microsoft's handling of this for Forza & Gears 4 is the shitty angle. They're charging $40 extra for early access, without enough content to justify that investment (Forza's $100 edition doesn't even contain the season pass.)

The FH2 ultimate edition a couple of years ago was $99.99 and didn't include the season pass either. Or early access. Also, the gears 4 ultimate includes enough things that the price would be well over $99.99 if you bought them seperately. They're charging $49.99 just for the season pass alone. So no, they're not charging $40 extra just for early access. People will decide if there's enough content to justify the purchase themselves. I had and have no problem whatsoever paying $99.99 for FH3 ultimate. I would've done it if it didn't have the early access anyways because I want the cars.

Fbh

Unless it turns into "pre order now and play 6 months earlier" I really couldn't care less. Hell I prefer this over missing some item or side mission because I didn't pre order

I almost don't pre order anyway. If people want to test the game for bugs, frame rate issues and missing features a week before the actual release then be my guest

ChrisD

Didn't know this was a thing, I've been lucky enough to not run into it yet. Well, no, there was that time where if you bought Pikmin 3 digitally you could get the game a day early. I was tempted since it would fall on my Birthday, and the thought of a new Pikmin on my Birthday sounded neat, but what was waiting one more day? Nintendo have never done such a thing again, to my knowledge. It was really weird then, too, because I don't think anyone else had set such a precedent?

The thought of it does bother me if it's more than one day. And it really bothers me if it involves a premium price at all. If it's just, "Hey, pre-order and get to play one day early at no charge!" then that's... fine...ish.
It's basically how midnight unlocks work with me anyways. I don't go to bed 'til around 4AM, so whenever a game unlocks at Midnight in some other timezone it will unlock here at 10/11PM. Gives me a lot of time to play before many.

In the end though, it really is just an arbitrary delay on the game's "real date". If the game is out, let the game be out! Not just for a select few at a premium.

It doesn't bother me. If I preorder a game it means I'm getting the collector edition and I really want the game so I don't see it as "pay $20 extra to play early" but more "hey, thanks for being a fan"

It doesn't really bother me if someone plays a game earlier than me. People have been getting early release copies for years now. If someone wants to pay more just to play a game early go ahead.

Out of all the trends that publishers abused and exploited like Day 1 DLC, online passes, etc. preorder to play early is the least "scummy"

I hate the trend and what's worse about it for me, is the fact that I've succumbed to it.

I've bought games like that just to play early, I regret it but I also don't, because when I want a game...I want it.

psyfi

Banned
I'm pretty into this trend. I very rarely buy games day one (the last time was Halo 5), and so when I do it it's because I'm REALLY excited about the game. Being able to play early is a pretty big bonus for me. I also don't care about most other pre-order bonuses, so it feels like I'm finally getting something cool that'll actually benefit me.

Se_7_eN

Because you don't win anything at all, as that "earlier" would've been the standard releasedate if they wouldn't have been putting it behind a preorder lock.

Ok... So look at it as "It release on October the 12th for people buying it day one". Problem solved.

If you weren't going to buy it day 1, then why do you care if I play it earlier than you?

It only bothers me if I have to pay more to play 4 days earlier or so from release.

Out of all examples in the OP, I feel the Dishonored 2 is the least worst one. Its basically paying the same price as retail for pre-order and its only one day early from official release.

But I can see how publishers will exploit this even further, so I'm not enthused to the trend either way

Tovarisc

Doesn't come with anything else that the standard preorder doesn't have? If it doesn't.....that's really lame.

Deluxe edition also has some skins and 5 battlepacks (gives you skins and unlocks). Then there is also Ultimate Edition that comes with all of that and season pass.

Regiruler

It's one of the lesser evils of pre-order bonuses.

If you're confident enough to put money down before it releases, you have every right to the product. Just think of it as creeping the release date sooner.

Zafir

I wouldn't even call it a new trend, a number of MMOs did this years ago. I remember SWTOR letting people play early through preorders back when it came out. I'm not surprised to see the concept spreading. It's another way to push preorders and get people to pay for a game before the reviews come out. And in the case of Forza Horizon 3 it's a way for them to push players into paying for the most expensive version of the game to get access to the game a few days early.

While I'm still not a massive fan. MMO's at least have a reason for that kind of thing though. Between the fact that MMO's are renowned for having server issues on launch and in game areas ending up being too populated for anyone to actually complete quests, by staggering the launch they might actually make peoples experience better.

All the other games jumping on the train recently have no such excuse. It's just an attempt at pushing people to buy the more expensive edition, or pushing people to pre-order instead of buying later.

Top Bottom