• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trend of releasing higher priced version of a game earlier

elelunicy

I don't understand why people are okay with this. For all intents, its basically, effectively, meaning that the game is delayed for those of us who don't want to pay a premium for the privilege of playing 'early' (see: normal release time before push back for people who only pay the full price).
The game is delayed for you guys - then what? The publisher can also delay a game entirely by a few days for everyone. I don't know any instances where a publisher offered people compensation or reduced the price of the game after delaying a game. They can delay their game as much as they want to - they don't owe people anything by delaying a game.

DocSeuss

MS and EA are always the pioneer of what's wrong in the videogame industry IMO, it's annoying but they have a public for it, they're right to do it, some people just don't care about their money when it comes to their hobbies.

MS?

Sony's got 30 days early access on a MULTIPLATFORM game. Sony pioneered the whole "break multiplatform games up with platform-exclusive DLC" nonsense. If you want anti-consumer, how about that? Oh, want to enjoy Destiny on the Xbox? Sorry, if you do, you're not going to be playing on certain multiplayer maps or getting various cool items, like the Jade Rabbit (one of my favorite guns in a video game, ever).

Oh, and Sony's the one dumping a bunch of old games on gamers calling them "remasters" instead of A) properly remastering them (which Microsoft has done), or B) not just doing backwards compatibility (which Microsoft has done).

Microsoft is the most pro-consumer party holder out there. Nintendo shuts down mods and stuff; won't even let people monetize videos. Microsoft, on the other hand, has it written into their legal stuff that people can make mods based around their stuff, and they also don't put copyright claims on people's videos for innocent content.

If your console breaks down, Microsoft's way better to work with than Sony; the warranty costs are way better with Microsoft as well. AND Microsoft will give you free XBL time to make up for the time you missed while your console was dead.

In a discussion about what's pro and anti-consumer, Microsoft should be presented as an example of how to do things right, because they do it right more often than not. Heck, even the original Xbox One plans were intended to be pro-consumer, if you want to get into that discussion.

Oh, and then there's the whole thing about Sony refusing to let people go cross-platform--MS and Valve are down for it, but not Sony.

Let's not forget how insecure Sony is with our passwords and data either. Plaintext storage, wasn't it?

Early access for a preorder doesn't bug me that much. If the game's gone gold, why not?

This actually should make everyone think that the standard edition is the one that is delayed.

It's releasing on a Friday.

Games in the US release on Tuesday. It's a retail/shipment thing here. It's not that the game's being 'delayed,' really.

Magwik

Banned
Games were already being sold at a markup for years due to retailers breaking street date. If people want to spend an extra $20 to not wait a week, so be it. Better the extra money go to the developers than some dude trying to make a quick buck.

Dremorak

Banned
For an online game it could just be a way of justifying a slow rollout of online services. At the end of the day, its not that big of a deal. Theres not many games I would pay extra to play earlier

Grassy

I'm fine with it, but then I have always bought the Forza season pass + VIP anyway, so it's just a nice bonus for me. The melodramatic responses about the standard version being delayed, standard version is for poor people, Ultimate Edition is for whales etc. is pretty amusing to read, cheers.

MS and EA are always the pioneer of what's wrong in the videogame industry IMO, it's annoying but they have a public for it, they're right to do it, some people just don't care about their money when it comes to their hobbies.

EA and Ubisoft mostly. MS isn't that bad. Yes they wanted to screw everyone over with original plans for Xbone, few even fell for it. But they rolled it back.

Considering the Forza games are $60 plus $50 for the car pass, your actually getting a discount going with the ultimate edition.

VIP and early access are just free bonuses.

This is especially cool that it gets a physical ultimate edition. If you have GCU or Prime, you save even more.

Coxy100

Banned
Personally I don't like it - but then there's a lot about modern gaming I hate.

late 80's was fun. The 90's was great fun. The 00's was amazing. Everything from 2010 onwards has been about how can we squeeze even more money out of gamers...

I like the idea of it being able to play games a few days early if you preorder. It gives people more of a reason to preorder.

If it was the vanilla, standard edition game being sold on a markup a few days early, I wouldn't touch it.

BlueWord

Price discrimination at work. It's actually keeping prices lower for the rest of us, so I can't possibly see the problem with this practice.

MS?

Sony's got 30 days early access on a MULTIPLATFORM game. Sony pioneered the whole "break multiplatform games up with platform-exclusive DLC" nonsense. If you want anti-consumer, how about that? Oh, want to enjoy Destiny on the Xbox? Sorry, if you do, you're not going to be playing on certain multiplayer maps or getting various cool items, like the Jade Rabbit (one of my favorite guns in a video game, ever).

Oh, and Sony's the one dumping a bunch of old games on gamers calling them "remasters" instead of A) properly remastering them (which Microsoft has done), or B) not just doing backwards compatibility (which Microsoft has done).

Microsoft is the most pro-consumer party holder out there. Nintendo shuts down mods and stuff; won't even let people monetize videos. Microsoft, on the other hand, has it written into their legal stuff that people can make mods based around their stuff, and they also don't put copyright claims on people's videos for innocent content.

If your console breaks down, Microsoft's way better to work with than Sony; the warranty costs are way better with Microsoft as well. AND Microsoft will give you free XBL time to make up for the time you missed while your console was dead.

In a discussion about what's pro and anti-consumer, Microsoft should be presented as an example of how to do things right, because they do it right more often than not. Heck, even the original Xbox One plans were intended to be pro-consumer, if you want to get into that discussion.

Oh, and then there's the whole thing about Sony refusing to let people go cross-platform--MS and Valve are down for it, but not Sony.

Let's not forget how insecure Sony is with our passwords and data either. Plaintext storage, wasn't it?

Early access for a preorder doesn't bug me that much. If the game's gone gold, why not?

Games in the US release on Tuesday. It's a retail/shipment thing here. It's not that the game's being 'delayed,' really.

What did Sony do to you lol

Hoo-doo

Banned
Price discrimination at work. It's actually keeping prices lower for the rest of us, so I can't possibly see the problem with this practice.

Isn't the base game still 60-69$? I don't see prices lowering.

But yeah, it's a cheap moneymaking scheme and it works. Same with the roulette-style lootcrates that are extremely prevalent in games everywhere now. Get them hooked early with a bunch of crates/boxes to open and the seed for addiction is planted and the barrier to spend real money is lowered.

Game companies and publishers prey on our mindset of instant gratification and exploit the addicting aspects of gambling mechanics to have people spend more and more money on a single release.

And so far it's working beautifully, so you'd basically be stupid to not follow along with that trend. Can't knock the hustle. I'm only annoyed when people are blatantly oblivious to these practices and try to defend it by pretending the 'content' they receive is worth it.

Sakujou

Banned
i think this is a thing from back in the wow-days.

our local retailer took 5€ more for the midnight sale of the game.

people happily paid that.
good job, pc-master-race.

Caayn

I like the idea of it being able to play games a few days early if you preorder. It gives people more of a reason to preorder.

If it was the vanilla, standard edition game being sold on a markup a few days early, I wouldn't touch it.
The more pubs/devs push pre-order bonuses, the less I'm actually inclined to pre-order. I pre-ordered a lot of games before they started with pre-order bonuses, now a days I pre-order nothing.

Why would I? Major games are always plenty in stock, lesser known games will practically always be available because of the lower demand and digital will never run out of stock.

Glix

I bought a super expensive edition of Dark Tower 7 because it shipped a week before the normal edition.

No regrets.

This is a little different, but there was a mom and pop game shop that always broke Street date around where I live. At first the games were priced normally, but slowly the early release prices began to raise. I'll never forget going to pick up GTA5 and seeing a $80 price tag. Walked right back out. I don't care if it's straight from the studio, or whoever, but greed will always set in and they'll try to make more money if possible. This is one of those things. I don't like it.

black070

They call it 'early access' - but isn't it effectively a full release being locked behind a premium edition preorder for a few days ?

Megatron

MS?

As I recall, Sony also had games with online passes. I dont think microsoft first party games ever did.

You also left off Sony not allowing ps1 games on ps4, and reselling ps2 games on ps4 for $15 regardless of whether you already bought them on ps3.

black070

MS?

Seems like OP hit a nerve.

oo7

They didn't add $20 to the base game and claimed you would play it early. That would be a worthwhile complaint and even so, not one to particularly good one.

They added the Season Pass which gives you a bunch of shit...and also 4 days early access.

It seems to me some are just salty that others are getting the game earlier than they are. It's business. Get over it.

MT's and pay for frivolous DLC (especially when they are already in the base game and you are just paying to unlock it) is bullshit though.

End of discussion.

score01

Citing the original xbone drm plans as good and pro consumer is kind of turning into the gaming equivalent of Godwin's law.

EvB

$20 to play 3 days earlier??? HAHAHA! What a fucking joke.

It's not quite as cut and dry as he suggested.
The version of the game that comes bundled with the Season pass has 3 days extra.

So you aren't paying $20 extra for 3 days or extra play, that is just a perk of buying it all bundled.

There is no price benefit for buying It together, just that you get to buy it sooner, which if you are buying the season pass for on Day 1, is probably actually pretty damn exciting.

oo7

$20 to play 3 days earlier??? HAHAHA! What a fucking joke.

Erm...
The Early Enlister Deluxe Edition Includes:

Early Access on October 18th. Hit the ground first with Early Enlister Early Access, which lets you play the full game early on October 18th.

The Hellfighter Pack. Fight like hell and give no ground with the Hellfighter Pack. Inspired by The Harlem Hellfighters, the first African-American infantry unit and one of the toughest of the Great War, this pack contains themed items based on their heroic deeds.

The Red Baron Pack. Take to the skies with the Red Baron Pack, crammed with items inspired by the famous fighter pilot, the flying ace of the German air force.

The Lawrence of Arabia Pack. See another side of the war with the Lawrence of Arabia Pack. Grab items and weapons based on the adventures of the famous archaeologist and diplomat who played a pivotal role in the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire.

3x vehicle skins. Make sure your enemies know who's coming for them with skins on three of the largest vehicles in the game.

5x Battlepacks. Prepare for battle with five additional Battlepacks, stuffed full of all the gear you need to hold your ground in an all-out war.

Yep. 20 bucks extra just for early access. FFS people.

NONE of the games listed are "pay more to play early". It's a damn added bonus. Does not affect you in any way.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don't see the issue. A release date is set. A game generally goes gold a few weeks before so it's technically ready to go once it's gold.

Why not let those willing to pay for the premium edition feel a little better about their purchase by letting them play early.

As long as it stays an incentive tied in with actual content (i.e. season pass) its gonna be alright.

The moment they start just charging an additional fee for early access. That's gonna be when things get rough.

I actually really like it. People
(suckers)
play the game a few days early, I get to hear gameplay/performance related impressions.

Shit was a lifesaver for the No Man's Sky PC release.
<3
I'll totally let you know how the Forza Horizon 3 port is.

And I might even be honest!

But yeah, I like that it also tests servers and so on a bit. Like Horizon 3 already had the issue where apparently level ups were giving 1 billion credits in-game, which hit the first few owners and has already been fixed. Ideally software would release flawless, but we need to be pragmatic -- it doesn't.
Just as an FYI, as I purchased the Ultimate Edition of FH3, none of us who did say are paying for the privilege to play early. It is an incentive, or dare I even say a Thank You, for purchasing the equivalent of Forza's version of the Season Pass up front (VIP and Car Pass).
I did not spend any additional money to play the game early that I would not have spent otherwise picking up those two passes on their own.

So because of this fact, I see no problem at all for it. Now if they were in fact charging for it, I would not support it myself. But since the price is the same as the base game plus purchasing the two passes separately, as I said, I even will go as far as seeing it as a Thank You for the dev and MS for supporting their game.
Exactly. I got content I wanted at a discount. The early release thing is just a small bonus (and honestly I'm fairly busy this weekend so I'll barely get to take advantage). I would never pay extra for early access...

...except when I pay extra for Early Access, which is actually pretty common with games and has been for years now. Like I'm planning on probably grabbing Smash + Grab in Early Access because I've enjoyed the betas so much. If anything that's 'worse', in consumer terms, because we're paying for an early but lesser product. I know some people think Early Access is terrrible, full-stop, but I don't think most gamers have a real issue with it as a concept.

I know what we're talking about is slightly different than traditional Early Access, but it's not a completely radical shift.

elelunicy

Isn't the base game still 60-69$? I don't see prices lowering.

It doesn't matter what the actual price is. As long as some people are paying more for the same game, then technically other people are being "subsidized" by them. The publishers/developers can use the extra money they made with these early editions to make free content updates, provide better customer support, or even fund future DLC or sequels. Things that benefit everyone.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
It's not quite as cut and dry as he suggested.
The version of the game that comes bundled with the Season pass has 3 days extra.

So you aren't paying $20 extra for 3 days or extra play, that is just a perk of buying it all bundled.

There is no price benefit for buying It together, just that you get to buy it sooner, which if you are buying the season pass for on Day 1, is probably actually pretty damn exciting.

Erm...
The Early Enlister Deluxe Edition Includes:

Early Access on October 18th. Hit the ground first with Early Enlister Early Access, which lets you play the full game early on October 18th.

The Hellfighter Pack. Fight like hell and give no ground with the Hellfighter Pack. Inspired by The Harlem Hellfighters, the first African-American infantry unit and one of the toughest of the Great War, this pack contains themed items based on their heroic deeds.

The Red Baron Pack. Take to the skies with the Red Baron Pack, crammed with items inspired by the famous fighter pilot, the flying ace of the German air force.

The Lawrence of Arabia Pack. See another side of the war with the Lawrence of Arabia Pack. Grab items and weapons based on the adventures of the famous archaeologist and diplomat who played a pivotal role in the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire.

3x vehicle skins. Make sure your enemies know who's coming for them with skins on three of the largest vehicles in the game.

5x Battlepacks. Prepare for battle with five additional Battlepacks, stuffed full of all the gear you need to hold your ground in an all-out war.

Yep. 20 bucks extra just for early access. FFS people.

NONE of the games listed are "pay more to play early". It's a damn added bonus. Does not affect you in any way.

Oh, okay. I didn't realise that.

Tovarisc

Something that SE wanted to do with Mankind Divided. "Augment your pre-order and get things like unlocking game 4 days before others!" was theme of pre-order marketing at one point, but was walked back after major community backslash.

Augment your pre-order!
deus-ex-mankind-divided-augment-your-pre-order-program-shut-down-493327-2.jpg
Soon after or was it during E3 2016 EA came out with "Battlefield&#8482; 1 Early Enlister Deluxe Edition". It costs 80&#8364; instead of 60&#8364; of Standard Edition. Difference is that you get to play on 18th October instead of 21st of October. Pre-order and pay extra and you get to play 4 days earlier than others!
Latest publisher and title to jump on this train is Bethesda with Dishonored 2! Pre-order now and get to play one day earlier than others!
https://twitter.com/dishonored/status/781548726829580288

Will this be next big trend in gaming industry in attempt to push pre-orders, maybe even at premium price point? In some games this can lead to advantages [e.g. unlocks in BF1] over those who don't pre-order these editions while others it's just intended as perk to push pre-orders as much as possible.

Is this something you want to see happening more in future from publishers with multiple titles or would we be better off if these kind pre-order incentives didn't come into gaming?

AppleMIX

I don't really mind honestly. My only real concern is that some people might spoil others who didn't pay a premium price.

LewieP

I think you mean "Don't pre-order in time and play it X days late".

These games aren't getting finished any sooner because you've preordered it, they are just delaying it for some customers.

TheKeyPit

Banned
They mixed the Preorder thing with an unlock blablabla thing for Deus Ex. There was no guarantee that you would get the 4 days early bonus, right?

Top Bottom