• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New TWEWY coming? [Arrange album announced - includes tracks from new iOS release]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scratching my head, trying to imagine what could be interesting enough that Brian Gray thought it worth getting our hopes up, but enough of a disappointment that Kagari is telling us not too. I mean, I guess anything that is not a TWEWY sequel is going to be a letdown, so why on earth would the translator bother with that tweet? Arg!

I don't think they intended for it to be localized outside of Japan.

Besides, I know some guys took a crack at trying to translate and tinker with it. However, it turned out that many of the game files were encoded with special compression, (which made manipulating the text virtually impossible) and as mentioned, the game would've had to been reprogrammed due to the vertical Japanese text.

For example:
sigma_harmonics_sigma_sc.jpg

I could argue it may be possible to reprogram the text box to align near the bottom of the screen. However, you'd need a good font to avoid it looking horrible.
And you'd probably be taking up half of a screen, which would make it look pretty bad. (You really wouldn't have much to work with.)
Why wouldn't SE have wanted to localize it, if it had been a success? I don't understand why they wouldn't want the game to be made available to as many audiences as possible initially, especially since Sigma Harmonics came out right around the height of the DS's popularity (IIRC). Seems odd to cut off the potential for overseas sales for the design aesthetic of traditional, vertical text. Not trying to say you're wrong, it just confuses me is all. :p

faridmon

SE, you factoring hectopascals! I can think of a decillion better ways to spend our time... than by anticipating this z-class zetta shitty announcement. You brain-dead binomials are pathetic!
You stupid tasteless tetrahedra! I hope you all drown in the sea of imaginary numbers, who gives a digit? after all, this world is garbage, so are you. You zetta sons of digits!

Aww, zetta shucks!

Seda

SE, you factoring hectopascals! I can think of a decillion better ways to spend our time... than by anticipating this z-class zetta shitty announcement. You brain-dead binomials are pathetic!
You stupid tasteless tetrahedra! I hope you all drown in the sea of imaginary numbers, who gives a digit? after all, this world is garbage, so are you. You zetta sons of digits!

Aww, zetta shucks!

nicely done

Let it die.

The Franchise Ends Before Two.
Actually, upon thinking about it... I can't imagine this playing on anything other than an iPad (if it's going to come down to iOS, the iphone is simply too small to facilitate the battle portions) and the precision required during the DDR type segments for Shiki make this sound like a pretty terrible idea, unless they upres the visuals to make the buttons bigger :/

Fodder76

The thing that baffles me, is that a countdown like this is clearly directly targeted at the CURRENT fan base. You don't make a countdown with art and music from an existing franchise for anyone other than the people that already care about it.

That being the case, why countdown to something they likely won't be happy with? Or to something that is actually targeted at a different fan base?

I normally avoid negative / pessimistic posts, but I am really let down by this whole scenario.

scy

Actually, upon thinking about it... I can't imagine this playing on anything other than an iPad (if it's going to come down to iOS, the iphone is simply too small to facilitate the battle portions) and the precision required during the DDR type segments for Shiki make this sound like a pretty terrible idea, unless they upres the visuals to make the buttons bigger :/

Seriously, I have no idea how I'd even begin to try to play this on an iPod/iPhone.

The thing that baffles me, is that a countdown like this is clearly directly targeted at the CURRENT fan base. You don't make a countdown with art and music from an existing franchise for anyone other than the people that already care about it.

That being the case, why countdown to something they likely won't be happy with? Or to something that is actually targeted at a different fan base?

I normally avoid negative / pessimistic posts, but I am really let down by this whole scenario.
I had this exact same thought on the last page (and I'm sure others made it prior to me).

The countdown and announcement is PROBABLY for the new remix/arrangement album.

The iOS port is simply other, related news.

Forever

Banned
I had this exact same thought on the last page (and I'm sure others made it prior to me).

This Gray asshole hyped up something else after the album leaked.

I mean I guess it's possible there really is nothing else, in which case Brian Gray is an enormous douche.

duckroll

No, it's not. The album is actually announced. It's still on S-E's site. Their only mistake was that they had the full info box for the album up as well, which gave away the fact that an upcoming iOS release exists. The countdown is definitely for the iOS release.

No, it's not. The album is actually announced. It's still on S-E's site. Their only mistake was that they had the full info box for the album up as well, which gave away the fact that an upcoming iOS release exists. The countdown is definitely for the iOS release.
I see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But guys! If we all end up buying the iOS port it'll fund an eventual sequel
on iOS!
I kind of feel a game made directly for iOS would be a lot better than the first game ported to the platform. At least at that point it can be designed in a way that better suits the platform and still make a good game.

That said, Square Enix hasn't done much to convince me they would actually put in the effort, but I feel on paper that would have a much better chance to end well than this.

At least we re getting an album out of all of this debacle.

:/
I feel if they had just announced the album and the port in a press release their reaction would have been much better. Nomura's comments and TWEWY featuring in Kingdom Hearts 3D causes certain expectations to exist, and putting up a countdown page really reinforces those expectations. Following up with this is a way to cause your announcements to just let fans down instead of potentially making them happy about something they might want.

The music is pretty awesome, so yeah, it's not all is doom and gloom.

And I'm still clinging to Nomura's comments about the future of the series. It'll happen. Eventually?

I'm going to post a list of Square Enix franchises. See if you can spot what's common among all of them and what's common among most of them. :p

Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
SaGa
Nier
Drakengard
The Last Remnant
Valkyrie Profile
Star Ocean
Final Fantasy Tactics
Secret Of Mana
Lufia
Front Mission
Vagrant Story
Treasure of the Rudras
Bahamut Lagoon
Terranigma

wrowa

This Gray asshole hyped up something else after the album leaked.

I mean I guess it's possible there really is nothing else, in which case Brian Gray is an enormous douche.
How about waiting till the end of the countdown before you insult that poor guy like crazy? He didn't kill your dog. Actually, he didn't do anything.

Hylian7

How about waiting till the end of the countdown before you insult that poor guy like crazy? He didn't kill your dog. Actually, he didn't do anything.

There's nothing coming and he's giving false hope like that. It would be like some GAFfer making a fake site and then he goes "lol just kidding there is no TWEWY sequel" at the end of it. He might as well have killed my dog.

I kind of feel a game made directly for iOS would be a lot better than the first game ported to the platform. At least at that point it can be designed in a way that better suits the platform and still make a good game.

That said, Square Enix hasn't done much to convince me they would actually put in the effort, but I feel on paper that would have a much better chance to end well than this.

It would most certainly be better, but I'm just not convinced that it would even be the same kind of game. Playing the game ambidextrously without tactile buttons for the precision gameplay of Shiki just sounds like a bad idea. Perhaps if we had like a Jukebeat style grid to input commands, but even that sounds tough to implement without being intrusive. They'd have to scrap that style of gameplay for something gesture based for an original effort I think

And again, I don't think the dual screenplay can be replicated on anything other than an iPad, which is not exactly portable in any sense. I dunno, I just think its an ill fit for the platform :/

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, something worth saying "It's not over yet" by one of the translators of the first one, and also worth saying "Don't expect too much" by Kagari.

At this point, I'm curious. Seriously. Imho, these are the possibilities:

1) Anime series
2) Android port as well
3) 3DS / Vita spin-off

trinest

I had a dream I played this, and it was riddled with HD art and other problems including changing the story. Even in the dream I was raging.

Forever

Banned
There's nothing coming and he's giving false hope like that. It would be like some GAFfer making a fake site and then he goes "lol just kidding there is no TWEWY sequel" at the end of it. He might as well have killed my dog.
It's definitely personal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
good music and dead franchises? :(

Well, that certainly works, but I was going for "Franchises without signs of life for 2 years." and "Many of them are franchises where creators expressed interest in further entries sometime after the last release, but it never happened."

I'm sure there are a lot of people at Square Enix who are legitimately interested in making another TWEWY, but it doesn't mean it will happen over having the same people put out another Kingdom Hearts title or added to the 300+ Square Enix Japan employee Final Fantasy XIV salvage team due to perceived opportunity cost.

Forever

Banned
I don't really care, insulting random people because they have something to say on their twitter is not acceptable.

I'm guessing you probably know him in real life, because any other figure who pulled something like straight up lying to fans in order to preserve the hype wouldn't receive such protection.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Duckroll, I don't think you understand how much people love TWEWY.
I love TWEWY and I'm not losing my shit over any of this. I actually think both the new album and the port are good news (waiting to see how the port turns out, of course). The way people are acting it's like this will retroactively make the DS game bad or something, spiderman3.gif style.

This is the first time I see meltdowns like this over a countdown that's still running. The writing was on the wall too with how SE's previous teaser sites have turned out concerning the megaton levels. It's not like SE is pulling a Mega Man here, everyone should relax and at least wait for the countdown to end.

Aeana

I'm guessing you probably know him in real life, because any other figure who pulled something like straight up lying to fans in order to preserve the hype wouldn't receive such protection.
Usually we wait until the thing the person said is proven false before stringing them up, though.

Forever

Banned
I'm surprised you're not already calling for my head too, honestly.
You said there was something else but you had no idea what it was and added every caveat you could to that, which is forthright and honest. Brian Gray went out in public after the album was revealed and told us to stay excited; presumably he knows exactly what that something else is. If it is the album, then this was an outright deception by someone who had all the facts. If it's something obviously disappointing, then it's still deliberately misleading.

Most of us were prepared for disappointment; I didn't even flinch the first time. To be disappointed a second time over lies for literally nothing is unconscionable, and I'm going to call the man out for it if that's what he did to us.

duckroll

No, I don't know who the guy is, I've never met him, and I've never heard of him before yesterday. But I'm also not an ass who insults people without proof over a silly game.

Forever

Banned
No, I don't know who the guy is, I've never met him, and I've never heard of him before yesterday. But I'm also not an ass who insults people without proof over a silly game.

Fine, I will refrain from using shorthand pejoratives like "asshole" "prick" and "douche" and instead use the descriptive long form "liar who knowingly tricked devoted fans for no apparent reason except narcissism and schadenfreude."

Roto13

If he's lying, he's an asshole.

And if he writes with his left hand, he's a southpaw.

And if he has feathers and quacks, he's a duck.

duckroll

Fine, I will refrain from using shorthand pejoratives like "asshole" "prick" and "douche" and instead use the descriptive long form "liar who knowingly tricked devoted fans for no apparent reason except narcissism and avarice."

What did he lie about?

duckroll

#moredripthanleak

In the scenario that there was nothing other than what had already leaked, I don't see how you can possibly spin that as anything other than a bald faced lie.

What am I spinning? I wasn't aware that we live in a world where we insult people without basis. Did I wake up in a different world? Or are you just being an overreacting jerk? Look in the mirror and ask yourself this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom