• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New TWEWY coming? [Arrange album announced - includes tracks from new iOS release]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spierek

On the discussion of how the iOS port will play, I can see it being horizontal. Instead of having a "top" and "bottom", a "left" and "right". Control the left screen by sliding your left thumb (with it set to semi-auto), control the right with the right thumb/index finger, with pins lining the far right of the right screen.

I hate how, the more I think about it, the more I feel it just might work without buttons.
If this works out, then I want the sequel for 3DS AND Vita. That way I could buy the non-region-locked Vita and avoid the agonizing wait between US and EU releases.

You can't dump the top screen without redoing like every boss fight though.
Uh, actually you can with
Holy Field (the Eden pin set)

Mario007

If this works out, then I want the sequel for 3DS AND Vita. That way I could buy the non-region-locked Vita and avoid the agonizing wait between US and EU releases.

Uh, actually you can with
Holy Field (the Eden pin set)

True if this works on the tiny iPhone screen then there's no reason why we can't have a Vita version (especially with Vita having the buttons and a backpad)

tried playing this a long time ago and i'm wondering how necessary is the top screen fighting since trying to deal with both was a bit daunting. (i assume you will have to monitor you're health more since the AI wont be godlike in that way)

Spierek

tried playing this a long time ago and i'm wondering how necessary is the top screen fighting since trying to deal with both was a bit daunting. (i assume you will have to monitor you're health more since the AI wont be godlike in that way)
You can always set it on auto, but managing the upper screen by yourself gives you the ability to score Fusion Points much faster, thus allowing you to use Fusion Attacks (dealing loads of damage and healing you) more often. Hell, even if you're just looking at the lower screen and mashing the D-pad relentlessly is better than just leaving it on auto.

whats that? Don't recall ever getting that.
http://twewy.wikia.com/wiki/Holy_Field

You can buy five copies of the first one in Wild Kat (Hanekoma's shop) and then evolve them properly by BPP (and then locking the levels by SDPP). It basically gives you the strongest Light Puck (the green thing) right at the start of the battle, which allows the character holding it to have 5x damage multiplier and mad damage resistances (making him essentially invulnerable to anything). This allows you to ignore one screen and completely focus on the other (and makes beating the final and extra boss helluva lot easier).

EulaCapra

Wait, so we're unofficially waiting for a countdown of an iOS port? They're making hype countdowns for mobile ports now? Eff this. Let me jump out of this hype train.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Why not just make a similar game. Square fucked with us by making us believe a sequel, by hinting at it, I should say. But who the hell asked for an iOS port? Seriously, you can't have it without stripping down some parts of the game, I'm playing TWEWY as we speak, it hurts.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wonder how it will be priced. If I'm not mistaken their most expensive game right now on the App Store is the iPad version of Chaos Rings 2 at $19.99 (iPhone version is $17.99). I'd normally say it'd be something between $15 and $20 but after the surprising price of FF Dimensions I don't even know anymore. Dimensions is episodic though, so there's that difference unless they pull something like that for TWEWY too.

If they're smart, Week 1 will be free and the rest of the game will cost something... probably about $5 for each of the remaining weeks? How much does Ghost Trick cost per chapter, should be more than that.

Fuu

If they're smart, Week 1 will be free and the rest of the game will cost something... probably about $5 for each of the remaining weeks? How much does Ghost Trick cost per chapter, should be more than that.
Ghost Trick was $9.99 for all chapters at once, but you could buy them separately at $4.99 increments too if you wanted (no one wanted):

$9.99 - All Chapters
$4.99 - Ch. 3 - Ch. 7
$4.99 - Ch. 8 - Ch. 13
$4.99 - Ch. 14 - End

Yeah, $10 seems the way to go. But that first week needs to be free. Needs! Especially if they want existing fans to try it, fuck knows they won't buy the thing blind if they're convinced it's gonna be horribly mutiliated.

Week 1 - Free
Week 2 - $4.99
Week 3 - $4.99
Another Day - $2.99
Bonus Missions (New Game+/Secret Reports) - $4.99

I just threw up a little.

Hopefully they ditch the two-screen nonsense and convert the battle system to work on a single screen. Despite my admitted disgust with JRPG's I actually enjoyed TWEWY, though I never finished it. I'd like to actually finish the game but the two-screen battle system was such a silly gimmick.

Here's hoping to an iOS port with an improved battle system! Would buy (for $16.99 or less).

Roto13

Hopefully they ditch the two-screen nonsense and convert the battle system to work on a single screen. Despite my admitted disgust with JRPG's I actually enjoyed TWEWY, though I never finished it. I'd like to actually finish the game but the two-screen battle system was such a silly gimmick.

Here's hoping to an iOS port with an improved battle system! Would buy (for $16.99 or less).

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Alright then.

Here's hoping they send out free iPads with the game pre-loaded to everyone who bought the DS version.

I don't really think it was a gimmick. That would imply it added nothing to the game. Meanwhile, despite my love of the aesthetic, characters and plot, the majority of my enjoyment came from the combat, and the way it emphasised "party" management, encouraged customisation and generally pushed the capabilities of its hardware more than almost any game I've ever seen.

Mario007

I don't really think it was a gimmick. That would imply it added nothing to the game. Meanwhile, despite my love of the aesthetic, characters and plot, the majority of my enjoyment came from the combat, and the way it emphasised "party" management, encouraged customisation and generally pushed the capabilities of its hardware more than almost any game I've ever seen.

Yeah if there was one game that justified Nintendo's decision of 'ah what the heck, put two screens in and we'll see what happens' it's TWEWY.

Codeblue

Yeah, $10 seems the way to go. But that first week needs to be free. Needs! Especially if they want existing fans to try it, fuck knows they won't buy the thing blind if they're convinced it's gonna be horribly mutiliated.

I imagine the pool of existing fans who love TWEWY and are willing to repurchase it on iOS is incredibly limited regardless how mangled the controls are.

Fuu

I just went to search for the extensive creators' roundtable that was on SE's members site back when the game was released and it was apparently taken down (along everything else like the short manga chapters). This legitimately sucks, they went through so many interesting things in that roundtable, from the early brainstorming days to the developing of the systems in the game and how they decided on pretty much everything. I can't seem to find it anywhere but I hope someone saved the entire thing and that it's posted somewhere else.

edit: found it on some German forum, thank you based god. Saving it this time. Part 1, part 2, part 3.

tauroxd

I just went to search for the extensive creators' roundtable that was on SE's members site back when the game was released and it was apparently taken down (along everything else like the short manga chapters). This legitimately sucks, they went through so many interesting things in that roundtable, from the early brainstorming days to the developing of the systems in the game and how they decided on pretty much everything. I can't seem to find it anywhere but I hope someone saved the entire thing and that it's posted somewhere else.

edit: found it on some German forum, thank you based god. Saving it this time. Part 1, part 2, part 3.

That's great... Thanks for sharing it. After reading it, it seems more ridiculous to port the game to iOS systems:

Arakawa: ...because we set out to create "a game that can only be played on the DS."

Kando: We shifted our thoughts to making a game that would utilize every function of the Nintendo DS, something truly worthy of the system. That’s how the dual-screen battle was born.

Once this iOS version turns out to be an unplayable mess, TWEWY will be over as a franchise. It will probably cost way too much.

I honestly don't think it'll be an unplayable mess, as long as they remove the second screen entirely. Neku's combat would work fine with just your finger.

Of course, the lack of the second screen would make it considerably less TWEWY.

wsippel

Banned
I honestly don't think it'll be an unplayable mess, as long as they remove the second screen entirely. Neku's combat would work fine with just your finger.
Not really, no. Not only would you constantly obscure the view, TWEWY also relied on input faster and more precise than realistically possible without a stylus. And even Neku's side used buttons if I remember correctly, to switch battle palettes on the fly or something. Not saying they won't find a way to make it work, but I honestly doubt there'll be much left of the original battle system.

Lol, Neku was hard enough to control with a stylus, finger controls will be ROUGH. Not to mention there are so many pins that have you hold on an enemy, circle an enemy, circle/scratch empty space etc. that are all going to be nearly impossible with your finger covering the tiny sprite enemies.

Man........ Square Enix.

wrowa

I'm in the US, it's currently 5:50PM CST on 8/25, and the countdown says there are just over 6 hours left...?
Seems like the big reveal is coming at midnight (CST) to me!

Here's hoping there's something better than the iOS port/soundtrack. :S

The site is using the local time of your PC.

udivision

Lol, Neku was hard enough to control with a stylus, finger controls will be ROUGH. Not to mention there are so many pins that have you hold on an enemy, circle an enemy, circle/scratch empty space etc. that are all going to be nearly impossible with your finger covering the tiny sprite enemies.

Man........ Square Enix.

That's... kind of a good point. I didn't even think about that :-/

Hylian7

iJeBRhbemprda.PNG

Don't fall for it. Don't fall for it. Don't fall for it. Don't fall for it. Don't fall for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom