• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Unreal Engine 4 "Helmet" Tech Demo Screenshots

nickp

Neo Member
This is my favorite comment of the thread.

Also has there been confirmation whether a global illumination solution is in UE4 for sure? I thought there was some concern that Epic had problems with it and had to scale it back.

Gerritzen from Zombie Studios confirmed they are using dynamic lighting in a video interview with IGN. He even specifically said they "don't have to build maps."

i-Lo

But thats not very smart... You re ready to accept sub full hd standard to get better graphics that will be awfully upscaled on your tv. Theres no logic...

Agree.

Fidelity over outright resolution. Yea, where's the logic in that?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How can one still of a static object just rendered nicely, beat a whole scene filled with characters, effects, insane animations and enviroment?

Oh well...

Well obviously you wouldn't compare a single object to an entire scene filled with characters, effects, etc.

But something more simple. As in a character rendering.
agni.jpg

Vs the helmt, is much more comparable. I understand the hair rendering is probably much more complex, but still. The helmet just more looks impressive to me.

Gerritzen from Zombie Studios confirmed they are using dynamic lighting in a video interview with IGN. He even specifically said they "don't have to build maps."

that does not say anything about whether the game is using the GI. It could just be using the same shadowmaps but without the GI.

We need deeper confirmation of current featuere sets... especially if nextgen consoles are looking to be as weak as reported (especially durango).

USIGSJ

Didn't expect to be bumped into a new thread so I guess I should have added more info then. It's a personal piece by Jordan Walker (he worked on Samaritan demo and made that street fighter 2 bathhouse scene), you have early WIPs on his site, so I doubt it is art from their next game or a tech demo.

http://mutantspoon.com/

Comment that goes with those pics (in magazine) is about showing off "subtle shader effects and distinct material reflections made possible by, among other things, global illumination".

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Comment that goes with those pics is about showing off "subtle shader effects and distinct material reflections made possible by, among other things, global illumination".

It's amazing how long those subtle trolls about UE4's global illumination being gone have lasted.

scently

It's amazing how long those subtle trolls about UE4's global illumination being gone have lasted.

Eh I think you are confusing two things; GI is still in UE4 but the method they used in their e3 demo (Sparse Voxel Octree) is not the one they are using now as that one was really computationally expensive, even for high end pcs. How much the current system accomplish the same result compared to the former system is unknown but I would imagine it being similar.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That looks fantastic.
This is why DoF is unbelievably stupid in games, you look 5 cm to the left on a helmet right in front of you and everything is a blurry mess.

The effect makes absolutely no sense since your eyes are trying to focus on whatever part you are looking directly at, there is just blur where there shouldn't be.
Even pretending it is to emulate a camera lens,anyone looking through a camera lens would adjust the focus when looking at that part of the helmet.
In an interactive medium it just doesn't work.

Sorry for totally off topic random rant but it just struck me when looking at that picture.
It makes perfect sense in cutscenes or with camera angles and when applied to portions of the scene where you wouldn't need to focus anyway - so it keeps your eyes on something designers want you to see the most. Several shooters now also use the effect in a nice way that it keeps where you're aiming in the focus, and the rest is under DOF, so you have the camera control over DOF just as you implied in your post.

Thats fucking amazing, and speaks volumes about the engine.. However, I want to see assets that will wind up in gamplay, not just beefed up tech demos.

Still, if a lesser version of that could wind up in a game with good visual quality all around..

I kinda like the DOF application here, the image is composed well enough that my eyes are drawn to the area of sharp focus.

Even though the helmet design as a whole is a bit ho-hum, I'm loving the texture work.

That is the point. When things are done like that the normal thing that happens is that peoples eyes focus on the area that is the sharpest first, more of an instinctive reaction. I highly doubt the first thing people notice is the blurry spots.... even if they are complaining about its existence.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Eh I think you are confusing two things; GI is still in UE4 but the method they used in their e3 demo (Sparse Voxel Octree) is not the one they are using now as that one was really computationally expensive, even for high end pcs. How much the current system accomplish the same result compared to the former system is unknown but I would imagine it being similar.

The trolls declared it to be gone enitrely, not the method changed.

Xpliskin

The reflection map is a picture of the developers in their office, lol. Look closely.

That's just one highly detailed model exported from whatever dcc tool Epic Games uses (Maya?) and previewed in the engine, it's still not an entire game (compare UE3 gdc demos with actual games). The impressive thing is the fidelity of the exported materials.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Helmet looks practically like (good) CG, or close enough that it doesn't matter. Even better, it looks stylized while also being photoreal, which makes it that much more appealing. Seriously crazy that this can be realtime today. Hopefully a realistic scene can be done with this quality and not just single object.

Also, part of the overall quality is an unattainable image quality. There's massive amounts of supersampling going on there, although after seeing what 1080p with *just* FXAA looks like on my plasma TV, I'm not concerned that much about image quality on upcoming consoles..

This is why DoF is unbelievably stupid in games, you look 5 cm to the left on a helmet right in front of you and everything is a blurry mess.

The effect makes absolutely no sense since your eyes are trying to focus on whatever part you are looking directly at, there is just blur where there shouldn't be.
Even pretending it is to emulate a camera lens,anyone looking through a camera lens would adjust the focus when looking at that part of the helmet.
In an interactive medium it just doesn't work.

Sorry for totally off topic random rant but it just struck me when looking at that picture.
Depth of field is used to direct your eyes into a certain direction. Look at how it is used in film.

sp3000

This exact same thing could be done in UE3 by feeding it a real high poly model.

It doesn't really show off anything specific to ue4

USIGSJ

The trolls declared it to be gone enitrely, not the method changed.

It is certainly there in some form, we don't have confirmation though what is the current technique they're using.

One more info that could give some insight is one older article (it's from August 2012) from their presentation in Japan. Someone who knows Kanji would give a better translation of this, but here's google one of last paragraph.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/032/G003263/20120802092/

In addition, since the load is very high GPU, SVOGI behavior is also expected in the GPU following severe middle class. Mr. Shimoda, in an environment where "image becomes unnatural and reduce the resolution of the voxel" as, equipped with GPU performance is low, suggesting to disable SVOGI has also become a realistic option. In the meantime, UE4 but it comes to a game engine for the PC, if you want to enjoy beautiful graphics in game titles UE4 base, high-end PC environment should be required.

So in short really full benefit on a PC would be only on high end PCs, weaker ones would have it turned off, while mid tier would have reduced voxel resolution.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So in short really full benefit on a PC would be only on high end PCs, weaker ones would have it turned off, while mid tier would have reduced voxel resolution.

They did 6 cone traces for bounce before, so I assume "lower resolution" means lowering the number of cone traces.

We've totally started hitting the period of diminishing returns. Nothing in those screens sets my jaw agape the way previous generations did. I wonder how the general population, the ones that don't even know (or care) what resolution a game is running at will react.

USIGSJ

They both can. Open up UDK and enable screen space reflections on a surface and GI and you have the same effect

UDK doesn't have screen space reflections that come with the editor for sure, I saw one custom solution using shaders though, I'd really like to see videos or how to do it using stock editor. 2 methods for now are using Targer Render texture (for planar and cubemaps) and Billboards.

Gbraga

I can't get impressed with tech demos for some reason. But seeing that, if we ever see a game looking like this my mind will be blown away.

USIGSJ

They did 6 cone traces for bounce before, so I assume "lower resolution" means lowering the number of cone traces.

I think that's still there, from how I've understood how it works it should be sort of like grabbing cubemap, so camera for every side of the cube. Though IIRC as for the cone tweaking it should be cone angle what affecting performance too (like in case of reflection for example, narrower cones giving sharper ones but costly, while wider giving blurrier ones but cheaper).

Resolution is probably of the voxel volume. Posted this link in Daylight thread, one demo you can try, not game optimized though. Here in the demo it can be changed from 128x128x128 up to 512x512x512 (default is 256x256x256)

http://simonstechblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/implementing-voxel-cone-tracing.html

Edit:
My bad, its not 6 sides with 90 fov for cube, but 6 sides with 60 fov over the hemisphere.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yup that's a close up of a helmet alright.

Not sure if serious.

How can one still of a static object just rendered nicely, beat a whole scene filled with characters, effects, insane animations and enviroment?

Oh well...

Helmet Tech Demo...really?

I fear for next gen.

We've totally started hitting the period of diminishing returns. Nothing in those screens sets my jaw agape the way previous generations did. I wonder how the general population, the ones that don't even know (or care) what resolution a game is running at will react.

If it weren't for these few comments I would have thought I've lost my mind!

Seriously, it's a picture of a f**kin helmet!
Who cares if it has fancy shaders or amazing textures or vents or whatever!?

Ten years ago people joked that this is what the future of gaming would look like - amazingly detailed boredom by the crate. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

scently

I think that's still there, from how I've understood how it works it should be sort of like grabbing cubemap, so camera for every side of the cube. Though IIRC as for the cone tweaking it should be cone angle what affecting performance too (like in case of reflection for example, narrower cones giving sharper ones but costly, while wider giving blurrier ones but cheaper).

Resolution is probably of the voxel volume. Posted this link in Daylight thread, one demo you can try, not game optimized though. Here in the demo it can be changed from 128x128x128 up to 512x512x512 (default is 256x256x256)

Edit:
My bad, its not 6 sides with 90 fov for cube, but 6 sides with 60 fov over the hemisphere.

Its gone. ERP, a dev on B3D said as much, and its because it is really computationally expensive, even for very high end pcs. You simply cannot develop a game with it. Also they are trying to sell the engine so for the, or one of the selling point of the system, it can't afford to perform significantly worse than competing engine re: Cryengine etc.

USIGSJ

Its gone. ERP, a dev on B3D said as much, and its because it is really computationally expensive, even for very high end pcs. You simply cannot develop a game with it. Also they are trying to sell the engine so for the, or one of the selling point of the system, it can't afford to perform significantly worse than competing engine re: Cryengine etc.

I was referring to 6 cones being there for the tecnique, but yes I agree that it's been most likely changed for something else. Even Epic said that they've optimized for few dynamic objects (in paper for techique it's said it adds 5ms for revoxelization of the dynamic object), and UE is used for a wide variety of game genres where few dynamic objects often would not be enough.

One thing I want though, aside from indirect lighting, are reflections. If that helmet pic is from a new technique that also supports them, fine with me.

spats

DOF I can deal with for the most part - even think it works really well at times and is totally appropriate.

This stupid Chromatic Aberration BS just baffles me. It's considered a negative characteristics of lenses and is even corrected for in post processing of photographs in must any photo workflow . . . so why oh the hell do I want it rendered in my games?

It's pretty simple in my opinion: people are subconsciously used to seeing aberration in photographs because almost every low end camera has shit optics and suffers from it, so adding it to a game helps ground the visuals closer to reality.

I kinda agree that it's already been completely overdone over the past year or two, and it's only going to get worse next gen. Using it is kind of justified though, as dumb as it seems.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was worried about their implementation of GI when I saw that the 1080p video they made of demon guy was really running in half res vertically (or horizontally, can't remember now, but HD video made it very obvious that it was half res). If they couldn't get anything better than that with GTX680 at 30FPS, then.... yeah.

They can have some other implementation of GI. They wouldn't mention it in ther descriptions here if it was just prebaked.

Crysis 2 was supposed to have their dynamic GI, no? It didn't look very obvious that it was there, or making things looks that much better if it was there, IMO.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Edit:

Ah I see, thanks.

scently

I was worried about their implementation of GI when I saw that the 1080p video they made of demon guy was really running in half res vertically (or horizontally, can't remember now, but HD video made it very obvious that it was half res). If they couldn't get anything better than that with GTX680 at 30FPS, then.... yeah.

They can have some other implementation of GI. They wouldn't mention it in ther descriptions here if it was just prebaked.

Crysis 2 was supposed to have their dynamic GI, no? It didn't look very obvious that it was there, or making things looks that much better if it was there, IMO.

That's what I am saying. I am sure they have another GI implementation that isn't as computationally expensive as the SVO.

UrbanRats

I gotta admit the other day watching the Crysis 3 quiclook got me a bit of that MGS2 feeling of "OH SHIT!", with that rain and that cloth physics and all.
I can feel it coming in air, tonight.

Gravijah

Modern graphics are all about simulating a camera, not your eyes.

I likes me some DoF and chromatic aberration.

Shots look amazing! Those textures!

/opinion

The thing with cameras and film is that in a movie or TV series, a director has taken the time to frame things so that everything is set up right and your eyes are looking where the director wants. In a game, you have control over the camera, and it's basically the game simulating a camera simulating eyes. That's not a good thing.

Top Bottom