• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Unreal Engine 4 "Helmet" Tech Demo Screenshots

Nibel

I'm tired of seeing this kind of visual quality in screenshot-form only

Gimme a 1080p HD video dammit - even if it is 5-10 gigs big

Krabardaf

This is why DoF is unbelievably stupid in games, you look 5 cm to the left on a helmet right in front of you and everything is a blurry mess.

The effect makes absolutely no sense since your eyes are trying to focus on whatever part you are looking directly at, there is just blur where there shouldn't be.
Even pretending it is to emulate a camera lens,anyone looking through a camera lens would adjust the focus when looking at that part of the helmet.
In an interactive medium it just doesn't work.

Sorry for totally off topic random rant but it just struck me when looking at that picture.

Don't get this. DoF is adaptive, the focus would change with the point of view.
In this regard it is more interactive than cinema, where you have no control over it.
Also any closeup with a camera will result in massive DoF too.

This screenshot is insanely great looking imo, and bokeh DoF is playing a big role in this tbh.
And i'm more a post process hater than lover in general.

imo... they should be really hyping the GI implemenation. (which is farm more interesting)

The depth of field, material quality,and model quality are already achievable in other engines and even in late gen UE 3.95

I kinda like the DOF application here, the image is composed well enough that my eyes are drawn to the area of sharp focus.

Even though the helmet design as a whole is a bit ho-hum, I'm loving the texture work.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Amazing. But the side vents are really poorly done. The texture/lighting is just way off.

Cake Boss

Banned
How come epic's tech demos always have more personality than their actual games and look far more interesting.

Remember the e3 2005 sony tech demo of that robot chasing down that black soldier.
Or that Blade Runner like tech demo a year or so back, UE4 demo looked really interesting as well, plus this. The helmet design looks dope, much more interesting than Unreal Tournament, Bulletstorm and to some extent Gears.

Looks like Cry engine 3 Lol.

I think is in part the combination of DOF and Global illumination, that since we are yet to see it frequently used elsewhere, it reminds us of CE3.

I imagine it would be like having an engine using bump mapping since 2003, and then when the other engines the start using it in 2004, it reminds us of the first.

Vesper73

I kinda like the DOF application here, the image is composed well enough that my eyes are drawn to the area of sharp focus.

Agreed. These effects work very well in static shots.

To the complainers, these exaggerated effects wont end up in actual gameplay, they are just for cinematic purposes.

Anyway, I want more...... Just look at those damn textures!

teiresias

DOF I can deal with for the most part - even think it works really well at times and is totally appropriate.

This stupid Chromatic Aberration BS just baffles me. It's considered a negative characteristics of lenses and is even corrected for in post processing of photographs in must any photo workflow . . . so why oh the hell do I want it rendered in my games?

orioto

Good Art™
DOF isn't that weird if used normally. It's weird if you have a really small DOF on a large plan, which isn't natural. And it should always be used interactively indeed (except on a cinematic obviously..).

But for example having a DOF effect when aiming in a third person is pretty natural and usefull.

Blizzard

Banned
yeah its tali's brother talbot
This is my favorite comment of the thread.

Also has there been confirmation whether a global illumination solution is in UE4 for sure? I thought there was some concern that Epic had problems with it and had to scale it back.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is my favorite comment of the thread.

Also has there been confirmation whether a global illumination solution is in UE4 for sure? I thought there was some concern that Epic had problems with it and had to scale it back.

Well the Edge article these came from still lists it.

Raven77

...And here I am expecting almost improvement over WiiU's graphical fidelity to keep my expectations in check.

Have you not played Halo 4, Killzone 2, the Uncharted Series?\

We already have console games with graphics much better than anything currently on the Wii U.

i-Lo

Have you not played Halo 4, Killzone 2, the Uncharted Series?\

We already have console games with graphics much better than anything currently on the Wii U.

This is why:

That may be. But in time, fidelity on WiiU will out do what has been done on PS3/360. I am talking about that time and its inevitable discrepancy with the helmet image.

Gaogaogao

that looks nice but I agree dof is way over done. Let it be up to my eyes where I can see, I want to be able to see anything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How come epic's tech demos always have more personality than their actual games and look far more interesting.

Remember the e3 2005 sony tech demo of that robot chasing down that black soldier.
Or that Blade Runner like tech demo a year or so back, UE4 demo looked really interesting as well, plus this. The helmet design looks dope, much more interesting than Unreal Tournament, Bulletstorm and to some extent Gears.
Yeah, this helmet has way more personality than Bulletstorm.

s_mirage

I'm tired of seeing this kind of visual quality in screenshot-form only

Gimme a 1080p HD video dammit - even if it is 5-10 gigs big

Screw that, just give us an actual demo to play around with. Where is the harm in actually letting us play with this cool new tech on our hardware?

Earendil

This is why DoF is unbelievably stupid in games, you look 5 cm to the left on a helmet right in front of you and everything is a blurry mess.

The effect makes absolutely no sense since your eyes are trying to focus on whatever part you are looking directly at, there is just blur where there shouldn't be.
Even pretending it is to emulate a camera lens,anyone looking through a camera lens would adjust the focus when looking at that part of the helmet.
In an interactive medium it just doesn't work.

Sorry for totally off topic random rant but it just struck me when looking at that picture.

Depth of Field makes sense in cutscenes, but it needs to stay very far away from gameplay.

Damian.

Banned
I disagree, without DOF everything looks flat and noised. It adds a lot of realism and readability to the picture.

I agree it must be used softly in gameplay phases, but in cinematics, it should be used just like in any movie.

I have to agree with this. I have learned that games are more enjoyable and provide some really crazy levels of "photorealism" when you focus on what's going on and not looking for small details a mile away.

i-Lo

Show me a better looking helmet ;)

This is called real world rendering:

kbc-vr-2-gunslinger-helmet.gif

RooMHM

By the way, look at the dimensions of the picture. If we can fidelity like that on consoles, then I am all for 720p.
But thats not very smart... You re ready to accept sub full hd standard to get better graphics that will be awfully upscaled on your tv. Theres no logic...

Yeah, this helmet has way more personality than Bulletstorm.
Agree.

Top Bottom