• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Unreal Engine 4 "Helmet" Tech Demo Screenshots

Hatten

DoF is the new motion blur is the new sepia, like it or not is here to stay.

As for the demo, whats the deal with that louis vuitton-like pattern on the visor?

injurai

Banned
First I noticed an ugly helmet.

Then I noticed atrocious FOV.

Is nothing sacred? I will be begging this question all next-gen as devs smear vaseline all over my face.

nasos_333

tumblr_mihx1bQ2hy1qdvj5lo1_1280.jpg

By the way, look at the dimensions of the picture. If we can fidelity like that on consoles, then I am all for 720p.

Indeed, with that image quailty 720p seems rather fine

Somehow this looks too good to be real time though and that kind of smoothness usually means a 1080p image downscaled to 720p

eso76

Oh wow, omg that's...that's....a helmet.

It's a single frigging helmet, guys.
I thought they were showcasing ray tracing on the visor but nope. Just a helmet with good IQ.

Would still yawn if they told me this is real time on a x360. Yeah, nice textures and IQ, but it's one helmet.

Branduil

tumblr_mihx1bQ2hy1qdvj5lo1_1280.jpg

By the way, look at the dimensions of the picture. If we can fidelity like that on consoles, then I am all for 720p.

I'm sure a lot of people would be okay with 720p if it meant perfectly anti-aliased images, but that's extremely unlikely to happen on any near-future console.

i-Lo

I'm sure a lot of people would be okay with 720p if it meant perfectly anti-aliased images, but that's extremely unlikely to happen on any near-future console.

True. There will be aliasing for certain, just that it ought to be less than what we have seen on PS3/360. Still, IQ notwithstanding, the lighting and textures look phenomenal.

That's only helmet...
When we are talking about simple scenes then UE3 can do this:
FaceCloser01C.jpg

FaceCloser02.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiSM1-EV4ZI

This is what the games by the end of the generations would start to look like (I hope at 720p 30 fps).

Imagine KoTOR 3/ME4 at 70-75% this fidelity (given it will not be a corridor shooter).

Modern graphics are all about simulating a camera, not your eyes.

I likes me some DoF and chromatic aberration.

Shots look amazing! Those textures!

/opinion

It's the fundemental problem of graphics today.

Games are games, not movies. We do not view our world through a lens like we do films. Not to mention most films and phtographs attempt to limit these effects as much as possible.

That said, games are present oriented experiences, they mimic life, simulate and are realtime. The influence of cinema on games has been both positive and negative, and it's time to take what we've learned and start exploring other avenues.

I've been thinking about this issue a lot, and I honestly think we should approach games as an extenstion of performance. The way performances, be they directed, improvised, musical, etc, develop mood, lighting, focus, would be far more impactful in games then attempting to imitate a medium like movies. They provide much more apt comparison to games. Hell, half the games which exist today are directly related to them (sports, music/rythm, etc).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I thought they were showcasing ray tracing on the visor but nope. Just a helmet with good IQ.

Would still yawn if they told me this is real time on a x360. Yeah, nice textures and IQ, but it's one helmet.
You would probably say wow if that helmet moved. I doubt any lighting/shading on it is prebaked into texture.

It's the fundemental problem of gracphics today.

Games are games, not movies. We do not view our world through a lens like we do films. Not to mention most films and phtographs attempt to limit these effects as much as possible.
In 3rd person game it can be easily argued that you see the game world through a lens of the camera.

You would probably say wow if that helmet moved. I doubt any lighting/shading on it is prebaked into texture.

In 3rd person game it can be easily argued that you see the game world through a lens of the camera.

I would agree, third person games are far more fitting for the effects of cinema, they're also less jarring an experience when we enter cutscenes because the camera remains detached. It's about finding balance, something which doesn't happen with the over use of post processing in this generation, bloom, hdr, lensflare, motion blur, dof, chromatic abboration. Games could really do with less imo.

Vesper73

The thing with cameras and film is that in a movie or TV series, a director has taken the time to frame things so that everything is set up right and your eyes are looking where the director wants. In a game, you have control over the camera, and it's basically the game simulating a camera simulating eyes. That's not a good thing.

This kind of DoF will only be used in cinematics and screenshots, not in gameplay.

I have to admit... the materials in Crysis 3 just do not look right to me. Now the materials in this tech demo... are much more realistic. The metal actually looks like metal.

Vesper73

killjoy. :p

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

This man speaks the truth. Open your eyes people. At this rate the next final fantasy will live up to its name...

Top Bottom