• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Weight Loss Before/After thread! Pics ahoy!

I hit my goal weight and lost 50lbs this year from March to June and have kept it off so far.

I'm not strictly measuring and recording calories now. I just estimate my meals and kept a mental tally. I think from being precise when I was losing weight I'm fairly confident I can estimate a meal +/- 100 calories. Hopefully this works over the long run. Measuring is a big pain.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been really slipping this week on my diet, going back to old habits of eating because I want to even though I know I've had my calories for the day. I need to get back on track, falling at the finishing line would be stupid.

MrT

Still not shifting any more weight here, I've got a bit lazy with my logging and just estimating a lot of things so that's definitely part of it. I'm also not getting a lot of exercise. Still working pretty long hours, and although I've developed a new interest in cycling, bought myself a new bike, and got myself a good long route that I like to ride, it's really just the wrong time of year for it when you live in Scotland. Still, I'm not putting ON weight, so as long as I can keep the "maintenance" going until I get more time and better weather for exercise I'm not going to panic too much.

JCX

I felt like awful shit this week since I overate 3 times and kinda did nothing. I feel better today though since in the grand scheme I'm still down a lot.

10-15 you can def tell. People carry themselves differently and it's most apparent in the face (which is where people notice).

Funny you say that, since my friends all pointed to my face being thinner. I usually have a beard but got a haircut and trim for a wedding, so I just assumed they mistook the haircut for weight loss.

Still stuck at another plateau. If I just liked meat I would probably been in shape by now, but I just don't like most meat and eating carbs is dangerous for me.

Stuart444

Whether you are just starting it, just rollin' with it, or hell, just dreaming of it.

This probably describes me :p

I want to lose weight but it's been kinda tough. I'm a comfort eater and recently I was also on tablets (still am but reduced dosage so I'll be off it by Christmas) that apparently has a side effect of weight gain. >.>.

After the holidays (I like my Christmas/NY food >.>), I'm going to try again and see if I can lose some weight before going on holiday at the end of March.

As a side note: I don't understand most of the stuff here when people use pounds. I only use Stones (I'm around 20 stone atm) and when the doctors use pounds, I always ask what it is in stones. so yeah...

If you want to lose weight and keep it off the best time to start is now (before the holidays especially).

Yeah, definitely don't wait until after the holidays to start. I'm skeptical of "cheat days" but it's way better to just start now and make Thanksgiving and Christmas cheat days instead of waiting for the new year because you don't want to diet on those days.

dejay

Banned
The only way I manage to lose weight and to keep it off is to have no decent food in my house if it isn't for the next day. It's sad, but eating is a compulsion of mine and the only way I have found of controlling it is to not have it at hand. I have also found intermittent fasting helpful - I eat all my food between 5 AM and 1 PM. So for me personally, fast food has actually been more beneficial, in that I that the franchises list their macro content online and energy content on the menu board and I can get to several quite easily in my area without having to have food at home to cook.

Today I just had the only meal I'll have today - two big bowls of mac and cheese with tuna and broccoli. It was a favourite pigout food of mine in the past, but of course back then that would be just one meal out of three + snacks.

As a side note: I don't understand most of the stuff here when people use pounds. I only use Stones (I'm around 20 stone atm) and when the doctors use pounds, I always ask what it is in stones. so yeah...

UK GAF is weird with the whole stone thing. Quite a few people still use feet and inches in Australia for height, but stones disappeared pretty quickly for measuring body weight from what I can tell.

rykomatsu

Went to Las Vegas for 3 days, over-ate ( :-[ ) off of keto, came back thinking I gained weight - I was last at about 161lb and figured I'd have a weight gain up to about 165 or so with increase in glycogen (and water)

To my surprise, I weighed in and broke the 160 mark which I'd been stuck at for a month or so...157 now which puts me at about 25lbs lost since July. Going back to Vegas in 2 weeks but this time I'm getting drug around to buffets so might end up backtracking a little bit...

Happy for now though :) Had a great Black Friday workout too...totally kicked my ass.

Azulsky

Was 221 on Friday morning.

Went to GF's house over the weekend and after coming back this morning and weighing in I am at 217...wtf.

Pretty sure I am calling the weightloss off at this point, feeling a bit bony. Need to hold the weight steady

Laekon

I went the opposite way from you two. In the last 2 weeks I gained 4 pounds. I'm trying not to stress about it and just get back on track. Over coming emotional eating or just the tendency to pick at any food in front of me is a lot harder then just losing weight.

dejay

Banned
I went the opposite way from you two. In the last 2 weeks I gained 4 pounds. I'm trying not to stress about it and just get back on track. Over coming emotional eating or just the tendency to pick at any food in front of me is a lot harder then just losing weight.

I put on a kg yesterday (2.2 lb) but lost most of it today. Three weeks ago I went overseas for work and put on 1.5kg (3.3 lb) in four days.

Don't sweat a bit of weight gain. How often do you weigh yourself? I find doing it daily is more helpful. If I had weighed myself yesterday and compared it to a week ago, I would have been disappointed. To be honest I still get disappointed when I put on weight in a day, even when I know it's water retention, but I can see the graph trending downwards and it's very motivating. It's always on my second PC screen when I'm not using it for something else. The other reward is fitting into clothes that have been put aside for a long time. Feels good to put on a certain t-shirt and not have it show off my man-boobs or gut.

Whatever the case, find a way of getting out of that eating cycle. I've yo-yoed most of my adult life, but every time I try something else. I think I'm on the right track now. I'm treating my weakness foods like an addiction - I'm keeping them out of my environment. No beer at home, no snacks, just basic boring stuff.

I saw some study that showed that crunchy, salty or spicy food is more attractive to rats. Give rats some interesting food, they tend to over eat. Give them boring but sustaining food, they'll eat enough. I don't trust studies that much, but it seems to marry to my own experience. I'll allow myself to eat good food, but I only keep enough in my house for one day at a time, so I can't exceed my daily allowance.

I'm also exercising - not because it burns calories, but for the fact that it makes me feel better mentally which makes me able to manage my intake better. I've found an exercise that I like (in my case Dance Central Spotlight for 60 minutes in workout mode 3-5 times a week) so it's not so much a chore. I think it's important to find an exercise that you enjoy.

In the end, it's all about finding what works for you. Keep experimenting and don't give up.

Azulsky

Dont sweat it. I didnt hold 217 for long. Ate a bunch Sunday to get my energy back for working out this week and was up to 222 yesterday and back down to 220 this morning.

Laekon

I put on a kg yesterday (2.2 lb) but lost most of it today. Three weeks ago I went overseas for work and put on 1.5kg (3.3 lb) in four days.

Don't sweat a bit of weight gain. How often do you weigh yourself? I find doing it daily is more helpful. If I had weighed myself yesterday and compared it to a week ago, I would have been disappointed. To be honest I still get disappointed when I put on weight in a day, even when I know it's water retention, but I can see the graph trending downwards and it's very motivating. It's always on my second PC screen when I'm not using it for something else. The other reward is fitting into clothes that have been put aside for a long time. Feels good to put on a certain t-shirt and not have it show off my man-boobs or gut.

In the end, it's all about finding what works for you. Keep experimenting and don't give up.

Dont sweat it. I didnt hold 217 for long. Ate a bunch Sunday to get my energy back for working out this week and was up to 222 yesterday and back down to 220 this morning.

I'm not worried to much about what the scale says. I've still lost 24 pounds since June without feeling like I've put a lot of effort into it. I recently bought a fitness tracker and think focusing on working out and just being more active will help me get back on track.

Bought a new scale, up 6 lbs.
I'm pretty sure new one is correct, oh well. :'(

It's really hard to say which of your scales would be more accurate. Having bought a variety of scales for a project at work once we found the cheapest Target scale was the most accurate. And if you've been losing weight thats all that matters.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been doing 5x5 strong lifts for just under 2 weeks now but I've hit a wall, I only have 30kg of weight including the bar so I can no longer add weight every session like you're supposed to so instead I've upped my reps to 8 instead to make it a little harder. A family member has some weight plates they're going to let me have so hopefully I can continue to progress soon. At this point I've lost nearly all the weight I need to but a lifetime of obesity has left my body weak and broken and I'm hoping to fix that.

Azulsky

At this point I've lost nearly all the weight I need to but a lifetime of obesity has left my body weak and broken and I'm hoping to fix that.

This is the reason for my advocacy of starting the gym as soon as you are starting to lose weight.

• Builds a good habit,
  • Intrinsically linked to the diet because eating well = performing well
  • Feel better (Endorphins, Stronger, muscles)
  • Look better( muscles)
  • Healthier(lean body mass retention, cardiovascular health, etc)

You doing good though buddy, keep working at it. You can always add more sets and more reps and still make progress.

Week 19: 1.4 lbs gain
Week 20: 4.8 lbs loss
Week 21: 1.0 lbs loss
Week 22: 4.2 lbs loss
Total: 68.6 lbs loss (3.1 lbs per week average)

Week 19 kind of bummed me out and I still don't really understand it, but I kept going with what was working and the same pattern has continued.

I've actually conducted an experiment over the past 2 weeks - I've stopped going on the treadmill (5 times a week for 30 mins) because I was curious to see how it would affect my weight loss. Looking at the above, it hasn't at all, which reaffirms what I thought which was I was exercising too much (I do kickboxing once a week and walk about 40-50 miles on my way to, in and from work) considering my calorie intake.

Down to 204.4 lbs now, so in a couple of weeks I will hopefully hit sub-200 lbs which is fantastic for me, and close to my target of 77 lbs lost (5.5 stone) by the end of the year. Still able to treat myself (2 Christmas meals and a party coming up next week) and able to go out drinking once a week (twice this week in fact!) so I'm loving this right now :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Week 19: 1.4 lbs gain
Week 20: 4.8 lbs loss
Week 21: 1.0 lbs loss
Week 22: 4.2 lbs loss
Total: 68.6 lbs loss (3.1 lbs per week average)

Week 19 kind of bummed me out and I still don't really understand it, but I kept going with what was working and the same pattern has continued.

I've actually conducted an experiment over the past 2 weeks - I've stopped going on the treadmill (5 times a week for 30 mins) because I was curious to see how it would affect my weight loss. Looking at the above, it hasn't at all, which reaffirms what I thought which was I was exercising too much (I do kickboxing once a week and walk about 40-50 miles on my way to, in and from work) considering my calorie intake.

Down to 204.4 lbs now, so in a couple of weeks I will hopefully hit sub-200 lbs which is fantastic for me, and close to my target of 77 lbs lost (5.5 stone) by the end of the year. Still able to treat myself (2 Christmas meals and a party coming up next week) and able to go out drinking once a week (twice this week in fact!) so I'm loving this right now :)
And the start from 5 months ago :)
'sup Weight Loss GAF.

I've tried a few times over the last couple of years to lose some weight, but I always fall back into my old ways. I figure posting here will help motivate me to make some changes.

On New Year's Day 2010, I made a resolution to lose some weight. I was around 20 stone (280lbs), and wanted to get down to around 13 stone (182lbs), which is a weight I'm most comfortable at (I'm 6ft, for reference). I set myself a target loss date of 1st July 2010. Pretty tough, right? Well, after going on my treadmill for pretty much every single night for 180~ days (and not eating as much crap), I weighed myself on 1st July 2010, and had reached my target; a few pounds under, in fact. A 7 stone loss in 6 months. Around 4lbs per week on average. I maintained this weight for the rest of the year, but over the following 4 years, slowly went back into my old ways, and I'm now at around 18 stone again (I've not weighed myself yet, but that's about right, I reckon).

I want to be 13 stone again. I'd love for this to happen in the same period of time - by the end of the year - but realistically due to how my life and routines have changed since then that's probably not realistic. I don't have any hugely personal reasons for wanting to do this, it's the usual; feeling healthier, looking better, being more confident...I'm sure most of you reading this understand. Other motivations are my mother who has lost several stone and got pretty fit for her age over the past year and a half or so, and the fact that I have a shitload of clothes from 5 years ago that I no longer fit into. Oh yeah, and the fact I turn 30 next year. That's become a really weird thing on my mind recently.

So, the plan:

- Treadmill every night. At first I did 30 mins, then as I got fitter, upped it. Eventually went to 1 hour, and another 15 mins or so on my rowing machine (which I no longer have...but could get one again).

- Cut the crap food. I eat a lot of bad stuff. I've had so many takeaways and bad meals out in recent months. I need to stop. A treat now and again, sure, but I need to cut a lot out from my current diet.

- Stop smoking. I didn't smoke when I lost all that weight, and it's certainly not going to help me now. There's so many reasons I need to stop this. I've done cold turkey before, and I'm going to try again. If I struggle, I'll try a Vape or something.

I think the main challenge is the fact that the last time I did this, I worked from home, and basically hermited myself. Now, I work in an office, and usually go out drinking on a Friday night. Most of the people I work with smoke, too. That'll be fun. I'll just have to suck it up and focus on my goals.

I'm going to weigh myself on Sunday night and report back here next Sunday with how the first week has gone. Over the weekend I will read through this thread for some added motivation.

So, wish me luck on my journey, guys. I've done it before and I know I can do it again.
Great stuff dude, you started way above me and now are way below.

I gotta apply myself!

Bumbles

Been almost 6 months since I posted a progress picture, so heres an update:

Started 174.1kg (384lb) - had a sleeve gastrectomy done and now at 110.8kg (244lb) with a drop in my BMI from 61.7 to 39.3.

13 months on, still losing, slower now, but still going down. With the main focus on my nutrition and nothing heavier than walking so far. Because of my weight loss and health improvements, at 38 Im getting back into playing basketball when the new season starts in the new year, which is much more enjoyable to me than gym.

Its an amazing feeling to be able to shop in most shops, rather than the two stores reserved for fat chicks who like to look their grandma or homer simpson in his muumuu. I can comfortably fit in the theme park rides (no more fat walk of shame off those rides for me ever again!) and do simple things like cross my legs and tie my shoes without the use of a bench to hoik my leg up on. And im not done yet :D cant wait to see what else is in store for me this coming year!

Before: November 2014

rsz_untitled2_zpsntydzdqh.png

Now:

2015-08-20.jpg

AnAnole

Here it is, I'm down 111 lbs since April 6th when I had my vertical sleeve gastrectomy.

Near my max weight; fat, mostly depressed, wore anything that would fit, hence the shirt:

uWP5mIW.jpg

to

now:

KUcxwn9.jpg

e5ATKmR.jpg

Update: down to 185 lbs for a total weight loss of 146 lbs. This is the first time Ive felt comfortable posting a shirtless pic, so here it is:

PXCIWx2.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I swear you guys inspire me to want to lose weight again. I just cannot see myself losing any weight though.

brawly

Just skimmed through the thread. Incredible stuff guys, you should all be proud of yourselves!

I was on a seven months weight loss period myself this year (until september) where I lost roughly 30lbs (14kg). Meaning I went from ~185lbs (84.5kg) to ~155lbs (70.5kg).

As a 6"3 dude 185lbs wasn't much to begin with, so I can't even fathom how some of you lost multiple times as much as me and had a much harder start. As I said, incredible stuff.

I started building muscle mass in september and I'm back up to 167.5lbs (76kg).

Don't really have a current picture but I'll post a comparison sometime soon. Keep going guys!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been without a scale for a couple of weeks and I've gained 7lbs! I know why though, I've just been super lax with my diet and I've been slipping back into old habits. I need to get this shit under control, if I go back to being the blob I was I will kill myself.

JCX

Nothing worse than having a good day of staying under your calorie limit, only too see the number on the scale rise the next day. I know weight fluctuates during different times and everything, but it still stings.

I've been without a scale for a couple of weeks and I've gained 7lbs! I know why though, I've just been super lax with my diet and I've been slipping back into old habits. I need to get this shit under control, if I go back to being the blob I was I will kill myself.

7lbs in a couple of weeks would mean you've been seriously overeating, quite a bit past the point of being lax on your diet. Could it just be water weight? Were you low carb before?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
7lbs in a couple of weeks would mean you've been seriously overeating, quite a bit past the point of being lax on your diet. Could it just be water weight? Were you low carb before?

Could be water weight, and no I wasn't. I've been lax but not massively so. I've been eating a little more than I should be, maybe by 200 calories.

Azulsky

Could be water weight, and no I wasn't. I've been lax but not massively so. I've been eating a little more than I should be, maybe by 200 calories.

You would be surprised the difference in sodium intake can make when you are going lax and what that does to water weight.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Checking in w/ this thread - no pics but I've lost 50 pounds since mid-July. I still have 45 to go to get to my ideal weight. I haven't been exercising or anything.... just sticking to a low calorie diet (1200 cals a day). The hunger pangs were bad the first couple of days but now I'm super used to it.

I know it's not the best way to lose weight but it has been the best way for me. I have a knee problem and I was so overweight before I could barely move. I feel so much better now. Just being able to sleep makes a world of difference. I'm probably going to stick with this until I get to within 20 pounds then start exercising and lifting (and increasing my caloric intake). I kind of don't want to lose it too fast though b/c I don't want a lot of excess skin. Been averaging like 2 pounds per week.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You would be surprised the difference in sodium intake can make when you are going lax and what that does to water weight.

I've decided to get back on the wagon fully, I have dropped my daily calories and macros back to what they were before I started getting complacent and I'll make sure I get at least 2 litres of water a day inside me which once again I've been lax with. I'm also still doing 5x5 strong lifts 3x a week which I started a few weeks ago and I should be getting more weight plates this weekend so I can start progressing again which I'm really looking forward to!

My goal is to drop this 8lbs of water weight/relapse weight before Christmas so I can enjoy it without being too anal, then after Christmas finally get down to my goal weight while continuing to get stronger. I'm so close I can almost taste it, I've done the hard part but now I need to stay focused which I have been struggling with.

MrT

Think it's time for me to kick back into gear as well. Been sat at the same weight for far too long now. This week I've started cutting back on fizzy drinks (I only drink diet anyway) and drinking a lot more water. I've also halved my normal weekday breakfast without really noticing a difference in hunger later in the morning, so I'll stick with that too. The weather has been terrible lately (and it gets dark before I finish work) so I've not been getting out on my bike as much as I'd like, but I've decided on a turbo trainer for xmas so I can do some indoor cycling while I watch TV.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Think it's time for me to kick back into gear as well. Been sat at the same weight for far too long now. This week I've started cutting back on fizzy drinks (I only drink diet anyway) and drinking a lot more water. I've also halved my normal weekday breakfast without really noticing a difference in hunger later in the morning, so I'll stick with that too. The weather has been terrible lately (and it gets dark before I finish work) so I've not been getting out on my bike as much as I'd like, but I've decided on a turbo trainer for xmas so I can do some indoor cycling while I watch TV.

Should be alright as long as you aren't drinking loads tbh

neojubei

You should try substituting diet soda with sparkling water. It makes you feel like you are drinking soda but without the calories and sugar.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bit of good news, lost 4lbs of what I gained. I've been super strict on my calories and macros and I've increased my water intake back to what I used to drink and apparently it's working, hopefully by Christmas I'll be back to my lowest and then from there I can work on getting to my goal weight.

I also had to order 2x10kg weight plates so I can continue 5x5 SL, the freebies from my family member fell through so I had to fork out £33 :(

MrT

Yeah the soft drinks are free at my work, so it's really easy to fall into bad habits. I'm trying to have more coffee and water, and way less of the soft drinks. I know they're zero calorie, but last time I cut them out completely and just drank water I did lose a bunch of weight, so seems like a good thing to do again.

mkenyon

Banned
Man, you have put on serious amount of muscle. You look like a personal trainer now :D
Amazing work man.
Thanks!
Bit of good news, lost 4lbs of what I gained. I've been super strict on my calories and macros and I've increased my water intake back to what I used to drink and apparently it's working, hopefully by Christmas I'll be back to my lowest and then from there I can work on getting to my goal weight.

I also had to order 2x10kg weight plates so I can continue 5x5 SL, the freebies from my family member fell through so I had to fork out £33 :(
Good work!

$ spent on exercise equipment is almost always worth it. It keeps its value forever too.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's me with another harrowing tale. I ended up eating a whole tub of Quality Street over the course of this week, to compensate I even had to skip a meal or two which I know is terrible! I managed to stay the same on the scale for the week which I'm OK with, but I know it was so damn greedy. I just couldn't help myself, it has been so long since I've had chocolate I just couldn't stop myself. Damn you Christmas and your delicious treats!!!

Nothing worse than having a good day of staying under your calorie limit, only too see the number on the scale rise the next day. I know weight fluctuates during different times and everything, but it still stings.
Muscle weighs more than fat bro. Believe in me who believes in you.

neojubei

So I'm over 400 now amazing how much weight can be gained. My friend wants me to visit him in Japan next year but I don't want to go looking so fat. And I'll probably never lose this weight.

So fuck it, I'm gonna share my 5-year transformation. Compared to most in this thread it's not that dramatic a change, but even with dedication it's tough for my body it seems.

In 2010

lP1fB6x.jpg

290 lbs

In 2013

b2wHs0J.jpg

230 lbs

Most recently --
In 2015

hZm8WbT.jpg

215 lbs

Still 30% bodyfat. It's gonna take a shit ton of cutting and bulking to get rid of that fat.

So I'm over 400 now amazing how much weight can be gained. My friend wants me to visit him in Japan next year but I don't want to go looking so fat. And I'll probably never lose this weight.
What were you before, and how did this happen?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Get someone else to help/make you lose it then. You need support.
You always come by here and do nothing about it. When do you decide to start? 420? 450? When your bed breaks?

Start today, get focused.

Top Bottom