• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Weight Loss Before/After thread! Pics ahoy!

Remember, the reason that low carb diets work (at least, the most verifiable and agreed upon reason), is that you are full more frequently which stops overeating and going way above where you should be in calories.

So, count your calories. It's ultimately the thing that will contribute to weight loss.

Adding in a ton of fat and cutting out carbs won't do anything if you're still at 3k calories a day. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but it's a mistake that I see a lot of people make. Just wanted to clarify to make sure.

Last time I did low carb, I also avoided a lot of fat. I kept it under 20g of carbs every day except on cheat days for about a year. The weight melted off, but I believe i hit fatigue trying to keep my count so low. This time, I'm going to up my limit, but not exceed maybe 40-50g a day. That should give me a little more variety plus still be considered low carb.

edit: I've never counted calories. I'll do it for a month and see what i average, since my diet will consist roughly of the same foods every few days or so. Thanks for the tip!

Azulsky

For those who lost a lot of weight (40+ lbs), when did you start to buy new clothes? Lost about 25 pounds last year and added muscle, so my body shape is different, but I'm still 50 pounds away from my goal weight. Don't want to buy clothes that I'll hopefully only wear for a few months.

Yeah sadly I thought I was done at XL shirts and 38 pants and then the last 20lbs put me in L shirts and 34-36 pants depending on brand :(.

Too individual to give a guideline. I would wait till you are 'done' before buying fancy clothes.

mkenyon

Banned
Last time I did low carb, I also avoided a lot of fat. I kept it under 20g of carbs every day except on cheat days for about a year. The weight melted off, but I believe i hit fatigue trying to keep my count so low. This time, I'm going to up my limit, but not exceed maybe 40-50g a day. That should give me a little more variety plus still be considered low carb.

edit: I've never counted calories. I'll do it for a month and see what i average, since my diet will consist roughly of the same foods every few days or so. Thanks for the tip!
No prob.

It's all about calories, when going strictly for weight loss. The other macros matter a lot more once you get into Fitness.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869633

Lots of good info there, though ILoveBish is a bit crazy in his love for fasting with almost no carbs. It works for him, and that's what you'll find is most important. Which is, finding the right diet that works for *you*.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
For those who lost a lot of weight (40+ lbs), when did you start to buy new clothes? Lost about 25 pounds last year and added muscle, so my body shape is different, but I'm still 50 pounds away from my goal weight. Don't want to buy clothes that I'll hopefully only wear for a few months.

I started at 5xl, I bought a pair of cheap jeans and some tshirts at 3xl. I've just recently started filling my wardrobe with new clothes as I've reached my clothes size goal of large (not an X in sight!). It feels so awesome to just go out and buy clothes you like without having to worry, and they're so much cheaper. I grabbed a couple of t-shirts in the sale for £2.99 - £3.49 at 80% off, I used to pay 3x that for a far worse product simply because it was huge. New clothes were a huge motivation for me, and I didn't spend much on them it was more the fact I could now buy human sized clothes that made it such a huge milestone for me. I went into a shop and people didn't stare at me thinking "THERE WON'T BE ANYTHING HE CAN FIT INTO IN", which was nice.

JCX

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've only gone from an XXL to an XL. I'll hold off until I reach L. It's winter so I can layer up to make the baggy clothes less evident. Maybe it's because I hate clothes shopping generally, but I'm not very excited to have to buy a new wardrobe at that point, but I guess it will be worth it if I actually get there.

rykomatsu

I think you had carb addiction.

If you're addicted, this is what happens:

Eat carbs -> Blood sugar goes up -> Insulin is released -> Cells don't uptake sugar because of insulin resistance -> Excess insulin is released to compensate -> Cells absorb an excessive amount of sugar -> Blood sugar plummets -> Brain panics and hunger pangs hit you...and the cycle repeats.

Protein can be converted to sugar via a (very inefficient) process called gluconeogenesis which can still result in carb addiction symptoms.

By going to low carb high fat, fat is metabolized into ketones which get used directly for energy which do not trigger an insulin response, so there is no real way for the brain to trigger a hunger pang. The result of this is, hunger and eating aren't at the forefront of your mind so it becomes somewhat easy to skip a meal or 3. Comprising 20-30% of intake with protein, you're further satiated so it becomes a bit of a cycle in managing your hunger.

Further, eating high fat is a LOT of food, particularly if you modulate carb intake primarily with veggies. It will also be more useful if you manage your macronutrients (carb, fat, protein)...I think you'll find after a few strict days, you won't need to count calories as much as monitoring macros.

MrT

Not specifically clothes related, but kinda related so a word of warning - Don't do what I did and leave it until your £700 wedding ring literally falls off your finger on a hike in the Scottish Highlands to get your jewellery re-sized (if you wear any) :p

I had lost about 60lb at that point but still nowhere near my target, so although the ring was getting loose I didn't want to re-size it only to have to get it done again (and again possibly) later. That was a rather costly mistake! Only just got it replaced last month (lost in June last year)

Azulsky

You could have been eating too little fat.

Dietary fat is critical for vitamin absorption(see fat-soluble vitamins), and can contribute to vitamin deficiencies. You also have Essential Fatty Acids which are used structurally around the body.

I have been eating 0.5g fat/lb per day of lean bodyweight as I have lost the last 40lbs. Almond and Peanut Butters are the bomb. Some Gaffers in FitGAF do stick to lower fat diets.

Im not a fan of low carb once you get above a certain activity level. You end up light headed and feel awful. It seems perfectly fine to be low carb if you are sedentary and have the fat to burn off. In my pleb opinion regular exercise is just as critical to long term health as diet, so eating carbs is necessary to maintain daily energy levels.

mkenyon

Banned
Im not a fan of low carb once you get above a certain activity level. You end up light headed and feel awful. It seems perfectly fine to be low carb if you are sedentary and have the fat to burn off. In my pleb opinion regular exercise is just as critical to long term health as diet, so eating carbs is necessary to maintain daily energy levels.
+1. Exercise is not critical for getting below obese levels during weight loss, but it is extremely important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, long term.

Also, Peanut Butter is the glue that holds my body together. Probably eat 5-6 Tbps of it a day easy.

JCX

Not specifically clothes related, but kinda related so a word of warning - Don't do what I did and leave it until your £700 wedding ring literally falls off your finger on a hike in the Scottish Highlands to get your jewellery re-sized (if you wear any) :p

I had lost about 60lb at that point but still nowhere near my target, so although the ring was getting loose I didn't want to re-size it only to have to get it done again (and again possibly) later. That was a rather costly mistake! Only just got it replaced last month (lost in June last year)

Ha this is my worry! I've already bought smaller gym shorts because my older ones are too loose and have almost fallen down while at the gym, which would not be fun for anyone involved.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe for you, but this is not a fact at all.

Intense and sustained exercise is perfectly possible, if not even easier for many people, when you have fat as your primary energy source as you do with a low-carb high-fat diet.

Obviously you need to listen to your own body, but it's total nonsense to make such a claim as some kind of blanket statement, or imply that people doing low-carb are all sedentary and not active.

mkenyon

Banned
Maybe for you, but this is not a fact at all.

Intense and sustained exercise is perfectly possible, if not even easier for many people, when you have fat as your primary energy source as you do with a low-carb high-fat diet.

Obviously you need to listen to your own body, but it's total nonsense to make such a claim as some kind of blanket statement, or imply that people doing low-carb are all sedentary and not active.
Sure, everyone responds differently, but what you're talking about is definitely a smaller portion of people. Carbs = short term energy is common sense. I mean, shit, when your body breaks down fat with ketones, it's to produce the same thing that carbs give you.

When someone makes a statement like that, it's very obviously an anecdote coming from their own personal experiences. I wouldn't imagine they are claiming they know that *all* people get light headed and feel like shit.

But, there are a number of cells that can't live off of fatty acids, and absolutely do need glucose from carbs in order to function properly. One of those in particular is brain cells.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, everyone responds differently, but what you're talking about is definitely a smaller portion of people. Carbs = short term energy is common sense. I mean, shit, when your body breaks down fat with ketones, it's to produce the same thing that carbs give you.

When someone makes a statement like that, it's very obviously an anecdote coming from their own personal experiences. I wouldn't imagine they are claiming they know that *all* people get light headed and feel like shit.

But, there are a number of cells that can't live off of fatty acids, and absolutely do need glucose from carbs in order to function properly. One of those in particular is brain cells.

There are a wide variety of metabolic pathways, and while glucose is a great way to get quick energy, it's not like you're at a physiological disadvantage when you're fat adapted and deprived of glucose when it comes to exercise. I absolutely disagree that it's a smaller portion of people, unless you're strictly talking about someone who just changed their diet to focus on fat after eating mostly carbs.

When you say "produce the same thing that carbs give you" are you talking about ATP? I don't see what the end cellular energy source has to do with comparing fat to carbs, honestly.

The post in question used the proverbial 'you,' instead of saying 'I," so I assumed he was speaking generally about human physiology.

And while glucose is necessary for some brain function, you absolutely do not need to get it from carbohydrate sources in the diet. Your liver happily produces all the glucose your brain could need using protein and fat, all without spiking your blood sugar and throwing your whole system out of whack.

Azulsky

The post in question used the proverbial 'you,' instead of saying 'I," so I assumed he was speaking generally about human physiology.

In the first sentence I said I wasn't a fan. I'm only speaking for me.

Once you are metabolically stable your body handles carbohydrate intake in a normal fashion, there is nothing to fear about it within the bounds of sane intake.

Yeah some people eat ketogenic diets and it works for them. It seems to work much better when you have larger fat stores that can provide a constant energy stream.

Hey all. So I am wanting to lose some weight and figured I should post here. So I am 30 260 pounds, type 1 diabetic, XXL shirt size and a 40-42 pants depending on what brand (usually I wear Dickie's and I run a 40) Looking to turn my health around since I have not been taking care of myself for a long time now. Need to get the diabetes under control and would like to loose 60 pounds by the end of 2016. Got myself some healthy foods and a Nutri Ninja smoothie maker. Ill post my fat ass later. Also I talked to my doc and eat semi heathy right now but need to tighten up on that plus I need the motivation to workout.

rykomatsu

Hey all. So I am wanting to lose some weight and figured I should post here. So I am 30 260 pounds, type 1 diabetic, XXL shirt size and a 40-42 pants depending on what brand (usually I wear Dickie's and I run a 40) Looking to turn my health around since I have not been taking care of myself for a long time now. Need to get the diabetes under control and would like to loose 60 pounds by the end of 2016. Got myself some healthy foods and a Nutri Ninja smoothie maker. Ill post my fat ass later. Also I talked to my doc and eat semi heathy right now but need to tighten up on that plus I need the motivation to workout.

Don't worry about making a lot of changes all at once...make small sustainable changes a month at a time. Eating healthier is a good start...do that, and one or two more small things for a month until it becomes habitual. If you lapse a little, don't fret over it and just focus on returning to change right away. Something like not drinking sugary drinks and walking for 30-60min every other day at lunch is a decent starting point. Then in Feb, do a few more things...then increase in March and repeat.

Azulsky

I'm sure you have heard this, but its really discipline, not motivation.
The big thing about working out is just setting aside time x days a week or daily to do something. You can always escalate the activity later but you need to build up the discipline to say 'this hour every day(or whatever frequency) is for me to exercise'.

I've always recommended brisk walking if you are just starting off. Probably requires the gym this time of year unless you have a treadmill at home. Once you get the habit locked in you can pick up a yoga/weightlifting/spinning classes/...whatever

iosa

Hey, 6 month ago I was 240 and same clothes size as you (I'm 5'8).
I'm down to 180 now and just bought a L shirt and a 32 pants that fits.

As Rykomatsu said, don't change too much at first. For me it was just reducing bread and cheese from my meals. Drinking water instead of anything else helps too.
I also started running 3 times a week (I was walking at first as I couln't run more than 2 minutes).
Now I can run at a good pace for 30-60 minutes with ease.

It's actually my first post in this thread so I want to thanks everyone. Reading your posts was really helpful and motivating.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's going to take me 2-3 weeks to burn off the weight I've put on over the week between Christmas and New Years.

God damn you body. Been 5 days, lost about 4lbs, another 4ish to go.

M52B28

Banned
Ever since break, I think I've gained back around 6-7 pounds. The scale we have is inaccurate.

During the break, I was taking in 3500 calories a day at some points, and I couldn't get out for a week due to flooding of the roads. So many cakes, cookies, chips, juice drinks.

It's time to get back into the gym.

Just some weight stats.

January 2015 - 269 lbs

November 2015 - 237 lbs

January 2016 - 245 lbs

I plan on carving off 10 pounds by April if possible. Maybe I can hit 15 pounds, but as I've learned, it's not good to put pressure on yourself to reach weight loss goals.

JCX

Don't worry about making a lot of changes all at once...make small sustainable changes a month at a time. Eating healthier is a good start...do that, and one or two more small things for a month until it becomes habitual. If you lapse a little, don't fret over it and just focus on returning to change right away. Something like not drinking sugary drinks and walking for 30-60min every other day at lunch is a decent starting point. Then in Feb, do a few more things...then increase in March and repeat.

That's what I've done. Began with just cutting out pop and juice, then regular lifting, cutting fast food, and just recently doing 20 minutes of cardio after lifting. I must be much slower than most though, since all this has taken me about 2 years and in that time I've only lost about 30 lbs. Hoping to lose at least that much by June this year. Today is te least I've weighed since college, so signs are positive.

M52B28

Banned
Remember, the smallest changes become whole down the road.

Nothing will happen overnight.

In addition, when losing weight, what matters is if you are disciplined enough to keep routine. Even if your routine means slow weight loss, it is something you can stick to and get results from no matter what.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Maybe not the right thread, but has anyone ever broken a toe?

Broke my little toe in early-mid November. STILL hasn't fully healed, been raining today and went out to the shops and it's really tight and numb :(

Haven't even tried going for a run since November, but I can't imagine it going well.

rykomatsu

That's what I've done. Began with just cutting out pop and juice, then regular lifting, cutting fast food, and just recently doing 20 minutes of cardio after lifting. I must be much slower than most though, since all this has taken me about 2 years and in that time I've only lost about 30 lbs. Hoping to lose at least that much by June this year. Today is te least I've weighed since college, so signs are positive.

If you've been doing weight lifting, you might have some noon gains to take into account...most people the first 10-15lbs of muscle come on more easily, so it's possible you've lost 40-45lb of fat and gained 10-15lb of muscle (possibly more since you'll still keep gaining).

What did you weigh originally?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've found a new favourite snack, skinny popcorn! I get the sweet and salty variety and it's really nice and only 100 calories a portion. I buy a big bag for only £1 and portion it into 4 bags. It feels naughty but it's really not, because it's so light 20g is actually a decent amount so you can nibble on it for awhile.

I've found a new favourite snack, skinny popcorn! I get the sweet and salty variety and it's really nice and only 100 calories a portion. I buy a big bag for only £1 and portion it into 4 bags. It feels naughty but it's really not, because it's so light 20g is actually a decent amount so you can nibble on it for awhile.

It's just not filling at all. :-/

JCX

If you've been doing weight lifting, you might have some noon gains to take into account...most people the first 10-15lbs of muscle come on more easily, so it's possible you've lost 40-45lb of fat and gained 10-15lb of muscle (possibly more since you'll still keep gaining).

What did you weigh originally?

I'm 5'7, weighed 260 when I began in 2014, now I'm down to about 230. Definitely have more strength now, so it's possible that I've gained some muscle, but not sure how much.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's just not filling at all. :-/

Not particularly, it's more about tricking my brain into thinking it's having junk food which stops me eating actual junk food. It's a pretty good tool for only 100 calories IMO.

I'm type 1 diabetic as well which makes it difficult and a lot of people can't relate to. The good thing is you can exactly see how carbs influence your blood sugar and insulin intake. When I'm dieting I take as little as 20 units of insulin a day. When I'm just eating out that can be as high as 50. That's crazy.

I'm type 1 diabetic as well which makes it difficult and a lot of people can't relate to. The good thing is you can exactly see how carbs influence your blood sugar and insulin intake. When I'm dieting I take as little as 20 units of insulin a day. When I'm just eating out that can be as high as 50. That's crazy.

Yeah I got real good at carb counting since I was put on the pump 14 years ago.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gonna hop back on keto train properly next week.
Cutting calories was fine for a while, but looks like I need to change some things up.

It was last checked in September and I want to say it was between 7-8. Not good but better than I thought it would be. Working on getting it much better.

That's not too bad, I was expecting much worse given your original post. If you ever need advice with type 1 for dieting and whatnot feel free to reach out.

JCX

My older brother just got hospitalized for high blood sugar. Diabetes runs in my family, so I feel like I'm in a race to lose this weight before my late 20's/early 30's when my family tends to get it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My older brother just got hospitalized for high blood sugar. Diabetes runs in my family, so I feel like I'm in a race to lose this weight before my late 20's/early 30's when my family tends to get it.

Diabetes isn't something you just come down with.

While losing the extra fat will certainly help with any insulin resistance issues you may have, a more surefire way to not develop diabetes is to simply avoid constantly elevating your blood sugar and requiring so much insulin to be secreted day in and day out. Better to attack the core cause of the problem than to spend your efforts fighting the periphery.

Diabetes isn't something you just come down with.

While losing the extra fat will certainly help with any insulin resistance issues you may have, a more surefire way to not develop diabetes is to simply avoid constantly elevating your blood sugar and requiring so much insulin to be secreted day in and day out. Better to attack the core cause of the problem than to spend your efforts fighting the periphery.

This is correct for Type 2. I am Type 1 which id diagnosed while a juvenile hence Juvenal Diabetes. This type I am stucj with forever since Type 1 means your pancreas has shut down.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is correct for Type 2. I am Type 1 which id diagnosed while a juvenile hence Juvenal Diabetes. This type I am stucj with forever since Type 1 means your pancreas has shut down.

Indeed it is a very different problem. At the same time, the need to keep blood sugar in check is the same. Simply not elevating it in the first place seems like a pretty sound solution.

It goes without saying, but obviously you should consult a knowledgeable physician, especially if you're already treating your condition with insulin shots.

Laekon

Indeed it is a very different problem. At the same time, the need to keep blood sugar in check is the same. Simply not elevating it in the first place seems like a pretty sound solution.

It goes without saying, but obviously you should consult a knowledgeable physician, especially if you're already treating your condition with insulin shots.
Insulin shots are the only way to deal with type 1. Most people get pumps that do it automatically. The main issue for them is blood sugar getting to low.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Insulin shots are the only way to deal with type 1. Most people get pumps that do it automatically. The main issue for them is blood sugar getting to low.

Low blood sugar primarily as a result of administering too much insulin in relation to the amount of carbohydrates that were consumed.

Week 27: 0.6lbs loss
Week 28: 3.4lbs loss
Avg. Weekly Loss: 2.7lbs

Averaged 2lbs off per week since Christmas which I'm very pleased with considering the stage I'm at. I'm now just 1.8lbs off my initial target.

hhlAgJM.jpg

Seeing sub-200lbs is a great feeling :)

oti

Banned

Averaged 2lbs off per week since Christmas which I'm very pleased with considering the stage I'm at. I'm now just 1.8lbs off my initial target.

hhlAgJM.jpg

815372.gif

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

hhlAgJM.jpg

Congrats

I hope I can reach that goal one day

^^

Quite the transformation! Looking good!

I have a question for any/all of you: were any of you diagnosed as prediabetic by the time you decided to turn things around? I'm specifically asking because I've read that it's pretty reversible if you lose a certain percentage of weight. I worry that I am (or am getting to) that point (currently 6'2", 350 lbs). Am going to talk to my doc about it next week during my physical. I cut down the amount of fast food I eat and have started cooking more and, just this week, cut out sodas entirely, which are my biggest vice.

Hope to be able to add to this thread once I start making progress.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
^^

I have a question for any/all of you: were any of you diagnosed as prediabetic by the time you decided to turn things around? I'm specifically asking because I've read that it's pretty reversible if you lose a certain percentage of weight. I worry that I am (or am getting to) that point (currently 6'2", 350 lbs). Am going to talk to my doc about it next week during my physical. I cut down the amount of fast food I eat and have started cooking more and, just this week, cut out sodas entirely, which are my biggest vice.

Think this magician was:

TH3nyYL.jpg

rykomatsu

^^

Insulin resistance is one of the main aspects of prediabetes. One of the most effective ways to decrease insulin is to go with a low carb high fat diet. This keeps your blood glucose level low which prevents insulin release into the blood stream and allows your body time to increase its sensitivity to insulin.

A low carb high protein diet won't work as protein will get converted to glucose and you'll still have insulin floating around. If you stick to it (ie less than 50g net carbs / day) you will see a very rapid improvement in your body composition, improvement in your lipid profile. A few pages back, I posted my progress...first transition is about a month on the low carb high fat diet and about 2-3 hours a week of working out. I suggest at least looking into it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I meant to share this here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/403wtc/officially_hit_40lbs_lost_today_after_11_months/

That's my 2015 progression. It got a really positive response on Reddit.

Here's the picture in case you don't feel like reading the whole story.

ZOZ3kxHh.jpg

Lookin' damn good, Sean!

You should post your really old pics alongside it to show how you went from fatty with no muscle to skinny with no muscle. What a roller coaster!

It sure seems to have paid off!

Top Bottom