• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Weight Loss Before/After thread! Pics ahoy!

Halcyon

I meant to share this here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/403wtc/officially_hit_40lbs_lost_today_after_11_months/

That's my 2015 progression. It got a really positive response on Reddit.

Here's the picture in case you don't feel like reading the whole story.

ZOZ3kxHh.jpg

Keep it up man. I always feel like we have such a similar story.

I put up a post a few weeks ago on progresspics and it hit the front page which was pretty crazy.

sOGGznT.png

Thats as much internet attention as I can handle.

RDreamer

Hey weight loss GAF! I've been working pretty hard since around October and just found this thread. Wish I had some better progress pictures, but at some point I just noticed I had a stupid selfie on my phone with one particular shirt near when I started and so I did a few more a few months later.

Here's my progress:

In the first picture I had just started exercising, but I didn't really start with my diet until about a week and a half afterwards. My weight at the highest point was somewhere around 258 or so. I may have dipped into the 260s before I really kept track of things. So that first pic was probably 255 maybe. I'm now under 190. Sitting at around 188 or so.

October 19 is when I really started hitting things hard. That's when I started calorie counting and limiting my diet plus biking over 10 miles every day on my stationary bike (highest resistance, too!) Overall my average has stayed above 10 miles per day, and I had one week with over 100 miles in total biked, so that was awesome. Currently I'm trying to ease into my preferred weight (somewhere around 180-185 or so) and start upping my calories to maintenance and maybe do some weight training.

It's been awesome, and I really don't know if I could have stuck with all this without going all in and seeing results so ridiculously quickly. Overall it's been 17 weeks since I began doing anything and only about 15 weeks since I added in the calorie counting.

So as I posted earlier, I am 30 with type 1 diabetes. I currently stand at 5'10" 260lbs. Here is my before pics. I will post new ones every month or 2. So far I am not in a exercise routine but do walk about 10,000 steps at work. The gym will be starting in a week or 2 once I finish up some personal stuff. For dieting I drink one 8oz black coffee in the AM and a smoothie, lunch is a smoothie, and dinner is a small health meal. I will work up to a full routine soon but I know if I got all in at once I will not last as that is to much of a change at one time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Why smoothie? Often they'll lack anything to fill you up and you'll feel starving which will make it even harder for you.
Please eat lean non red meat and eggs if you can.

Why smoothie? Often they'll lack anything to fill you up and you'll feel starving which will make it even harder for you.
Please eat lean non red meat and eggs if you can.

The smoothies i make are made from fresh/organic fruits and veggies, Almond/coconut milk (both low to no fat), and a bit of protien powder to fill me up. Been doing it for just 4 days now and I have not really been hungry at all and this is coming from a guy who absolutely loves all kinds of foods and eats A LOT.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The smoothies i make are made from fresh/organic fruits and veggies, Almond/coconut milk (both low to no fat), and a bit of protien powder to fill me up. Been doing it for just 4 days now and I have not really been hungry at all and this is coming from a guy who absolutely loves all kinds of foods and eats A LOT.
If you got the powder in there, you're gravy

Schlep

After falling off last year for multiple reasons, I got back on the start of this year. For anyone wondering about the legitimacy of Whole30/paleo...holy shit. Lost 17.6 pounds (down from 228 to 210) in 4 weeks. Also lost 6.5" on my waist.

I'm not gonna keep to the absolute strictness of Whole30 forever, but I'm gonna stay fairly close. One day a week I'll eat slightly less healthy and drink a little (read, mostly healthy and the lowest sugar drinks I can get). The other 6 days will be hardcore.

The process really opened my eyes to how sensitive my body is (was?) to sugar/artificial sweetener consumption.

RDreamer

After falling off last year for multiple reasons, I got back on the start of this year. For anyone wondering about the legitimacy of Whole30/paleo...holy shit. Lost 17.6 pounds (down from 228 to 210) in 4 weeks. Also lost 6.5" on my waist.

I'm not gonna keep to the absolute strictness of Whole30 forever, but I'm gonna stay fairly close. One day a week I'll eat slightly less healthy and drink a little (read, mostly healthy and the lowest sugar drinks I can get). The other 6 days will be hardcore.

The process really opened my eyes to how sensitive my body is (was?) to sugar/artificial sweetener consumption.

Great job, man. My tip is to try and find or transition into something that you can more or less live with. That was my goal from the start. Obviously I was more strict on things at the beginning, but I wanted to make new habits in my life that I could keep going with rather than it being a quick diet. That's part of why I didn't go strict paleo or anything like that. I went hardcore calorie counting and exercising and cut carbs a decent amount. My best 4 weeks was I think 21 pounds lost, and that just opened my eyes to the sheer amount of food I must have been eating, and the kinds.

Laekon

Is the whole 30 cutting out grains, dairy, added sugar, and booze? I've been thinking about trying it just as a way to test mental strength when it comes to food. I just started bike riding again though so using energy food on longer rides really doesn't fit in.

Schlep

Great job, man. My tip is to try and find or transition into something that you can more or less live with. That was my goal from the start. Obviously I was more strict on things at the beginning, but I wanted to make new habits in my life that I could keep going with rather than it being a quick diet. That's part of why I didn't go strict paleo or anything like that. I went hardcore calorie counting and exercising and cut carbs a decent amount. My best 4 weeks was I think 21 pounds lost, and that just opened my eyes to the sheer amount of food I must have been eating, and the kinds.

Yep, agreed on that. I'm gonna add butter back in (can't stand ghee), and occasionally I want corn tortillas or cheese. Oh, and it's damn near impossible to find a salad dressing without seed oils, and I hate the taste of vinegar so that will be a very real change. Outside of that, I really don't see much changing. Definitely a diet that I can live with forever.

Is the whole 30 cutting out grains, dairy, added sugar, and booze? I've been thinking about trying it just as a way to test mental strength when it comes to food. I just started bike riding again though so using energy food on longer rides really doesn't fit in.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. There's a list on their website, but it's cutting out: grains, dairy, added sugar (real or otherwise), alcohol, seed oils, legumes, chemical additives, and don't try to make workarounds (eg. cauliflower pizza crust).

Honestly, I like doing the 6 on, 1 off method. If I'm really needing pizza (absolutely no craving for this, btw), I'll have a slice of the real thing on my day off. I would do 30 straight days to begin with, though, because it does change the way food tastes and will get you more aware of cooking real food.

RDreamer

Yeah, that's pretty much it. There's a list on their website, but it's cutting out: grains, dairy, added sugar (real or otherwise), alcohol, seed oils, legumes, chemical additives, and don't try to make workarounds (eg. cauliflower pizza crust).

That seems pretty hardcore, though I suppose it might be alright on someone not doing exercise. I feel like cutting out grains and dairy really lowers a lot of potential energy and making things very strict like that makes it hard to sustain.

Schlep

That seems pretty hardcore, though I suppose it might be alright on someone not doing exercise. I feel like cutting out grains and dairy really lowers a lot of potential energy and making things very strict like that makes it hard to sustain.

It's not really meant as an ongoing diet. It's meant more as a 'cleanse' diet. Some people are completely unaware of gluten or lactose intolerance and this helps bring things like that to light.

Afterwards, I don't see any issue with dairy if your body can handle it. For grains, I really don't see much nutritional benefit. You're gonna get far more by eating vegetables and fruits where you'd normally eat grains.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It's really not hard at all if you eat a lot of fat. I've been doing it for over 4 years now.

In all honestly, getting off glucose as the primary source of energy puts in your a much better situation when it comes to sustained exercise. You have a hell of a lot more body fat that can be used for energy than your body can store glucose to burn.

Some people talk about a period of getting used to getting off carbs, but after that, it's smooth sailing for most people.

rykomatsu

It's not really meant as an ongoing diet. It's meant more as a 'cleanse' diet. Some people are completely unaware of gluten or lactose intolerance and this helps bring things like that to light.

Afterwards, I don't see any issue with dairy if your body can handle it. For grains, I really don't see much nutritional benefit. You're gonna get far more by eating vegetables and fruits where you'd normally eat grains.

If you add dairy and take into account macros, whole30 is quite similar to the keto diet in terms of what you can eat. Particularly for insulin resistant / prediabetes / type 2 diabetes folks, the keto diet is quite healthy and is worth (IMHO) continuing as an ongoing diet. You gain pretty strict insulin control which helps with hunger pangs and fat gain and brings blood lipid levels to normal / healthy levels. Particularly for those with carb addiction (read: a lot), it will help break a pretty vicious cycle.

Dimefan3

I'm thinking of giving Paleo a try - even if I do it 6 days out of the week. I've been a bit skeptical about for a long time - it's a bit hard to take seriously when one of its celebrity advocates in Australia also judges a gourmet cooking show. What would be the pros and cons? How would I start?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to give up desserts/sweet things? It's currently one of my biggest vices right now - mainly a lunch habit though, after dinner I'm fine with a bit of fruit and custard.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking of giving Paleo a try - even if I do it 6 days out of the week. I've been a bit skeptical about for a long time - it's a bit hard to take seriously when one of its celebrity advocates in Australia also judges a gourmet cooking show. What would be the pros and cons? How would I start?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to give up desserts/sweet things? It's currently one of my biggest vices right now - mainly a lunch habit though, after dinner I'm fine with a bit of fruit and custard.

If you're not considering a bit of fruit and custard to be much of a dessert, then I would hate to see what you're feeding yourself at lunch time.

rykomatsu

Fundamentally, why can you not give these up? If it's cravings, I'd suggest going with a keto diet for a month or 2, then transition back to a normal diet and substitute normal sweets for low GI sweets.

Sweets cause a dump of sugar into blood, followed by an insulin spike...if you're insulin resistant, insulin will keep being released until your body uptakes sugar...this then causes a sugar crash and you get hunger pangs. If you fulfil this with desserts / sweets, dopamine is released and your body starts to associate the action of eating sweets with pleasure and this leads to an addiction.

If you can decrease insulin swings by going keto, you won't get pangs, and will be able to ease off of carb / sugar heavy foods.

After dieting, if you goto low glycemic index foods, you'll be able to keep insulin in check while still enjoying sweets...examples are peanut butter mousse, dark chocolate based desserts, desserts substituting erythritol (no insulin response sugar alcohol) or stevia for sugar, etc.

Dimefan3

Fundamentally, why can you not give these up? If it's cravings, I'd suggest going with a keto diet for a month or 2, then transition back to a normal diet and substitute normal sweets for low GI sweets.

Sweets cause a dump of sugar into blood, followed by an insulin spike...if you're insulin resistant, insulin will keep being released until your body uptakes sugar...this then causes a sugar crash and you get hunger pangs. If you fulfil this with desserts / sweets, dopamine is released and your body starts to associate the action of eating sweets with pleasure and this leads to an addiction.

If you can decrease insulin swings by going keto, you won't get pangs, and will be able to ease off of carb / sugar heavy foods.

After dieting, if you goto low glycemic index foods, you'll be able to keep insulin in check while still enjoying sweets...examples are peanut butter mousse, dark chocolate based desserts, desserts substituting erythritol (no insulin response sugar alcohol) or stevia for sugar, etc.

Thanks, I'll look into the Keto diet. I think the cravings come from just a habit of having something savory, then something sweet. If I can just change that habit, I know I'll be able to start dropping the weight.

If you're not considering a bit of fruit and custard to be much of a dessert, then I would hate to see what you're feeding yourself at lunch time.

I know what you mean - usually what I'm having with lunch is just a donut or (at worst) a chocolate brownie. The strange thing is I very rarely (if at all) have soft drink. I've been setting a goal for the last week or two of drinking a full litre bottle of water during the day, which I've been accomplishing.

So...tattoos and weight loss.

I want to get a tattoo (not sure exactly what or where yet) but I'm not sure in regards to my weight loss when I should get ithe, as obviously I don't want it to warp. I won't be losing a lot more (maybe 10lbs or so) but I do plan on putting some muscle on throughout the year.

Is the best suggestion to wait until I'm at a size I'm planning on staying at before getting something done?

Chittagong

Gold Member
So what apps are people using to keep those half nude shots of yourself separated, to avoid them awkwardly popping up when you are showing your holiday pics at work?

The only one I know of is Bodyshot but it still looks like iOS6

Also, absolutely phenomenal progress Sean. I won't lie, I was a bit worried when you posted pics mid bulk, I should have known better!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I know what you mean - usually what I'm having with lunch is just a donut or (at worst) a chocolate brownie. The strange thing is I very rarely (if at all) have soft drink. I've been setting a goal for the last week or two of drinking a full litre bottle of water during the day, which I've been accomplishing.

I guess I'm lucky in that I love water.

I probably drink between four and six liters a day, and that's not counting any coffee consumed.

SeanR1221

^^

Quite the transformation! Looking good!

Lookin' damn good, Sean!

You should post your really old pics alongside it to show how you went from fatty with no muscle to skinny with no muscle. What a roller coaster!

It sure seems to have paid off!

Keep it up man. I always feel like we have such a similar story.

I put up a post a few weeks ago on progresspics and it hit the front page which was pretty crazy.

sOGGznT.png

Thats as much internet attention as I can handle.

So what apps are people using to keep those half nude shots of yourself separated, to avoid them awkwardly popping up when you are showing your holiday pics at work?

The only one I know of is Bodyshot but it still looks like iOS6

Also, absolutely phenomenal progress Sean. I won't lie, I was a bit worried when you posted pics mid bulk, I should have known better!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the support :)

Chitta, Myfitnesspal now allows you to post before and after shots. If you delete them from your camera roll they stay stored in MFP

Monday to Friday I seemingly lose 1-2kg. Then by Sunday afternoon I have put it all back on.

Is this more just water weight going off and on?

RDreamer

Monday to Friday I seemingly lose 1-2kg. Then by Sunday afternoon I have put it all back on.

Is this more just water weight going off and on?

It's possible. Are you weighing yourself at the exact same time under the same circumstances in the day? Personally within a single day my weight goes up like 5-7 pounds at times. It's crazy and I'm not entirely sure how it's humanly possible.

So I always weigh myself after I do my morning exercises (which is after breakfast) and right before I hop in the shower.

It's possible. Are you weighing yourself at the exact same time under the same circumstances in the day? Personally within a single day my weight goes up like 5-7 pounds at times. It's crazy and I'm not entirely sure how it's humanly possible.

So I always weigh myself after I do my morning exercises (which is after breakfast) and right before I hop in the shower.

Yeah its always on Monday morning and Friday morning I weigh myself.

Its just that during the weekend I have a few drinks and eat a lot more than when I am at work.

I can put on a kilo a day if I really wanted too, yet I can barely lose a kilo a week.

I run two-three times a week (about 5km) and play cricket which is on Satdy. During Satdy, any weight I lose from playing cricket is gained straight back on Satdy night.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah its always on Monday morning and Friday morning I weigh myself.

Its just that during the weekend I have a few drinks and eat a lot more than when I am at work.

I can put on a kilo a day if I really wanted too, yet I can barely lose a kilo a week.

I run two-three times a week (about 5km) and play cricket which is on Satdy. During Satdy, any weight I lose from playing cricket is gained straight back on Satdy night.
If you don't go crazy and understand weight can fluctuate a TON, consider weighing every day or even twice a day.

I used to only weigh once a week, but that didn't let me correct quickly enough and I'm finding one a day to be a nice change (Morning, after restroom). I don't go crazy if I see I saw I gained 6lbs in 2 days, I think about how much sodium I had, how much water I drank, how tired I felt, etc. and make changes.
What are you doing different on weekends?

Week 29: 2.4lbs loss
Week 30: 2.6lbs loss
Week 31: 2.4lbs gain
Week 32: 6.6lbs loss (!?!?)
Avg. Weekly Loss: 2.3lbs
Current Weight: 188.6lbs

I give up trying to comprehend this. This morning's weigh-in is just a complete mind fuck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Week 29: 2.4lbs loss
Week 30: 2.6lbs loss
Week 31: 2.4lbs gain
Week 32: 6.6lbs loss (!?!?)
Avg. Weekly Loss: 2.3lbs
Current Weight: 188.6lbs

I give up trying to comprehend this. This morning's weigh-in is just a complete mind fuck.
Sodium and water weight man. Also when you went to the bathroom.

I know, but still, I've never had a fluctuation like that before. It's pretty crazy.

Gonna be going for my yellow belt in kickboxing at the end of the month. If you'd told me this 7 months ago when I was 84lbs heavier, I'd have laughed in your face. I'm still laughing now, in a way. Haha!

I hope my posts have been as inspiring to someone as the posts I read in here before I started posting have been to me.

Hey, unsure person who wants to lose weight that's reading this: Change your life, dude. You'll be so much happier.

RDreamer

A few days ago I passed 4 months of exercise, and in a few days I'll pass the 4 month marker from when I started calorie counting and dieting. Lost about 70 pounds so far. Started above 250 and now I'm circling downward at 180. Feels good.

Tried to do some body fat percentage tests yesterday and it seems I'm between 20% and 24% so I'm doing well overall. Wish I had a calculation for that when I was at my biggest. It was probably huge. I really wish it was easier to lose belly fat, though. It's funny that I feel like when I hit 200 I thought if I could hit 180 there'd have to be nothing there (I'm 6'3"). Here I am at 180 still seeing the same amount it seems.

Also, last week was my 2nd week since starting where I passed the 100 mile bike riding marker in a week. This time I did it with a 0 day in there. Last time I had a day off of traveling for work, so I was able to get above 100 with an extra day.

so i finally got around to actually starting to lose this belly fat and thigh fat that i gained holiday 2015.

so my weight is at 205 lbs. most of it is fat. good bye bbq baby back ribs.

Laekon

I really struggle to lose weight when I add in exercising. I got in 5 hours of cycling and 2 hours of core work but didn't lose a pound. Diet hasn't been perfect but not so bad that it should offset the added calorie burn. Feel stuck just above 200 lbs when I hoped to be under 195 by this time of year.

Nintendad

So I think it was back in September or maybe even August I said I was ready for a change and I wanted to lose a lot of weight. Well it took a few more months. Starting in November I decided I had enough. I stepped on the scale and I was sitting at 449. I'm 32 years old and have two beautiful baby boys(7&3). I didn't want to see 450. So right now I'm sitting at 381. I've still got a lot of weight to lose, but I was going to the gym 5/7 days a week for a while there. Using the pool, riding the bikes. Doing something different every day.

Lately I've just been feelin less up to going to the gym. Long story short. Doctors found a growth on my pancrace. So now I need to go get tests and all sorts of stuff, but it's a struggle to go to the gym any more. I just need to keep eating right and see this thing through, but I just wanted to write I read this thread a lot and it helps keep me going. Thanks to everyone who posts here!

Laekon

So right now I'm sitting at 381. I've still got a lot of weight to lose, but I was going to the gym 5/7 days a week for a while there. Using the pool, riding the bikes. Doing something different every day.

Lately I've just been feelin less up to going to the gym. Long story short. Doctors found a growth on my pancrace. So now I need to go get tests and all sorts of stuff, but it's a struggle to go to the gym any more. I just need to keep eating right and see this thing through, but I just wanted to write I read this thread a lot and it helps keep me going. Thanks to everyone who posts here!

Have you tried doing more stuff outside? Depending on where you live weather can be a factor right now but getting outside can be more enjoyable. A bike shop could set you up on a fitness hybrid style bike that would handle streets, dirt roads, and smooth trails. You would need to upgrade the wheels but a good shop can build those for you. They should also be really help with advice on where to go.

JCX

A few days ago I passed 4 months of exercise, and in a few days I'll pass the 4 month marker from when I started calorie counting and dieting. Lost about 70 pounds so far. Started above 250 and now I'm circling downward at 180. Feels good.

Tried to do some body fat percentage tests yesterday and it seems I'm between 20% and 24% so I'm doing well overall. Wish I had a calculation for that when I was at my biggest. It was probably huge. I really wish it was easier to lose belly fat, though. It's funny that I feel like when I hit 200 I thought if I could hit 180 there'd have to be nothing there (I'm 6'3"). Here I am at 180 still seeing the same amount it seems.

Also, last week was my 2nd week since starting where I passed the 100 mile bike riding marker in a week. This time I did it with a 0 day in there. Last time I had a day off of traveling for work, so I was able to get above 100 with an extra day.

Could you elaborate on your exercise plan? I began around 270, now i'm down to about 230, but that's taken me over a year. Are you doing a lot of cardio? Even with counting calories and exercising 6 days a week, I still seem to lose weight more slowly than most.

RDreamer

Could you elaborate on your exercise plan? I began around 270, now i'm down to about 230, but that's taken me over a year. Are you doing a lot of cardio? Even with counting calories and exercising 6 days a week, I still seem to lose weight more slowly than most.

Yeah I'm doing cardio 6 times a week on average. Some weeks I get that extra day. My average throughout the whole thing has been 11 miles a day on my exercise bike (with it cranked up to full resistance the whole time). That's 11 miles a day counting the 0 days as literally 0, so I have to keep things up even further to account for those days. Recently my average is a bit higher, but my calories are also a bit higher.

I use MyFitnessPall and then put everything into my own spreadsheet that looks like this:

This is for a recent week where I'm really not losing much anymore. Maybe a pound every week or two, but it isn't as substantial. During my big weight loss my intake was about 1700 calories and my average net was about 700-800 per day.

As far as time, it's kind of a huge timesink. I end up on the bike like an hour and a half to two hours every day. I watch movies, surf the internet, or sometimes even do my job from it, though. When I hit that 30 mile mark there I was actually in a phone meeting with some people at work for half of that (the other half was my normal pace earlier in the day).

I also do some weightlifting, and I'm trying to transition more to that, but it's just harder to track and keep myself focused on, so I think i've done enough throughout that routine to kind of maintain some of my muscles but not enough to do a ton overall. There's another section to the right of that pic up there where I log my bicep curls, push ups, crunches, etc.

In life without a car, I've been walking home at least half the days of the week (if I get out before sunset). It's a good 2.5 to 3 mile trek, and it's doing pretty well to offset my lack of gym time.

I've definitely slimmed down since I started the job, that's for sure.

JCX

Yeah I'm doing cardio 6 times a week on average. Some weeks I get that extra day. My average throughout the whole thing has been 11 miles a day on my exercise bike (with it cranked up to full resistance the whole time). That's 11 miles a day counting the 0 days as literally 0, so I have to keep things up even further to account for those days. Recently my average is a bit higher, but my calories are also a bit higher.

I use MyFitnessPall and then put everything into my own spreadsheet that looks like this:

This is for a recent week where I'm really not losing much anymore. Maybe a pound every week or two, but it isn't as substantial. During my big weight loss my intake was about 1700 calories and my average net was about 700-800 per day.

As far as time, it's kind of a huge timesink. I end up on the bike like an hour and a half to two hours every day. I watch movies, surf the internet, or sometimes even do my job from it, though. When I hit that 30 mile mark there I was actually in a phone meeting with some people at work for half of that (the other half was my normal pace earlier in the day).

I also do some weightlifting, and I'm trying to transition more to that, but it's just harder to track and keep myself focused on, so I think i've done enough throughout that routine to kind of maintain some of my muscles but not enough to do a ton overall. There's another section to the right of that pic up there where I log my bicep curls, push ups, crunches, etc.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm kind of the opposite - I lift 6 days a week with a 1-2 miles on the elliptical at the end of my workout depending on time because it's way easier for me to get motivated to lift than to do cardio. May need to reconsider though, since cardio seems like a faster way to lose weight, and I'm hoping to lose 10-20lbs by June. May be worth an extra hour of cardio a day if it works for most people.

RDreamer

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm kind of the opposite - I lift 6 days a week with a 1-2 miles on the elliptical at the end of my workout depending on time because it's way easier for me to get motivated to lift than to do cardio. May need to reconsider though, since cardio seems like a faster way to lose weight, and I'm hoping to lose 10-20lbs by June. May be worth an extra hour of cardio a day if it works for most people.

I don't know if it's definitively faster for losing weight, I just think it's both easier to keep track of and easier to do continuously. Weight lifting is hard to figure out really what you're losing because there's a lot of time between sets which can vary and weights can vary and what you're doing can vary. With cardio it's a very easy 1:1 comparison. That's also why I kept the same program (resistance cranked all the way up) throughout. That way I can easily compare and the only thing that I could be fucking up on is food.

Also, if I actually went to the gym I'd probably be way less motivated to do cardio. There are so many distractions at home that when I try to lift weights it's so sporadic I'm probably not getting things pumping continuously for long enough, whereas with cardio I'm just going whether I'm dicking around on the internet or on my phone or watching something. At the gym it's easier to be more focused.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
pretty sure I posted at least one pic in here within the last 3-5 years... figured I would just post this today to tell everyone.. stick with it, and make it a lifestyle. 7 years since deciding I needed to take my life back. In my early to mid-30s I didn't think I would live much past 40, and now at 41 I am healthier than I've ever been previously in my life. It's a choice, a commitment, and hard as hell.. but worth it all of it.

Top right: 33 years old, 215lb
Bottom right: 35 years old, 190lb
Left: This past Saturday. 41 years old, 157lb

CceZJhtXEAAsOOu.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Shit the bed on my diet today, ate an entire large Pizza Hut pizza which was 2200 calories, which is 700 over my daily allowance on its own. I don't feel great about it.

Dominator

I might have posted in this thread, on mobile and can't check. Either way I forget.

I'm 22, about 6'2" in height and I weigh 380. This is the heaviest I've ever been and I want to drop about 150 pounds. This is going to take awhile with a lot of hard work and dedication.

I have to say, this thread has been very inspirational towards me and starting this journey. To be honest this biggest thing I'm scared about is not how hard this is gonna be, but loose skin. That shit cares the fuck out of me, I'm very worried about it.

But here we go, I hope to post in this thread within the next few years with my own pics to share.

MTE

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that's contributing to this thread. I think I'm going to have to bookmark it.

I've just restarted my weightloss after a few bad months of emotional eating and holidays.
I'd finally reached 109kg, but bounced back up to 127kg as of about 2 weeks ago.
I've restarted my low carbing, and begun leaving my bank card/cash at home when I go to work. This morning, I was 122.8kg. I'm really hoping to get back to making progress before too long.

I started 10.5 years ago, at 190kg, and to still be having trouble is depressing, but I know I can do it.
Keep up the good work, everyone. I'll be coming back to be reminded of why I'm doing this often, I can tell.

To be honest this biggest thing I'm scared about is not how hard this is gonna be, but loose skin. That shit cares the fuck out of me, I'm very worried about it.

As a guy that's lost about 150lbs, let me tell you that while (extra, more so than loose) skin is an issue, not having the weight on wins every time. Every time.
You can't know how much different you'll feel.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Shit the bed on my diet today, ate an entire large Pizza Hut pizza which was 2200 calories, which is 700 over my daily allowance on its own. I don't feel great about it.

Remember, it's a marathon and not a sprint.

One day won't undo all your hard work. Chalk it down as a mistake/treat and carry on.

borghe

Remember, it's a marathon and not a sprint.

One day won't undo all your hard work. Chalk it down as a mistake/treat and carry on.

depends on where you are in the process (not wanting to be debbie downer, but it's true). if you're still in the process of your body chemistry correcting itself and your metabolism growing, one huge cheat (or a bunch of small ones) can indeed wipe out a week or more of progress.

but if you're metabolism is already on a solid trajectory (and the libbies are coming off regularly), then you are correct and one slip won't really affect anything.

it's one of my biggest issues with so many of the national programs that essentially accept/condone cheats.. it entirely depends on where you are in your journey. by telling someone early on "it's ok to cheat".. I mean I get it. It's god damn hard. It was hard as hell for me. These programs (hopefully) think they are taking some of the stress off of people by saying "a cheat is ok. everyone does it.".. but I can't see that being less stressful, than the cheat removing all work that week, or even reversing the work from that week. Any stress removed from accepting the cheat would seem to come right back when you measure yourself for the week. :(

no science behind this.. just my feeling on it. don't cheat. period. "so when can I cheat?" When you don't feel bad and you're like "meh, not a big deal". That's when it's ok.. if you are like "fuck.. I just fucked up", that's when you know you are NOT ready to be able to cheat.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I began my own journey to being healthy this year. I was shocked when I weighed myself. I changed my diet - no pop (even diet), drinking more water, no fast food or junk food. I made the switch to whole wheat breads and tried to reduce some of the carbs. Basically I'm following the Canada Food Guide as I strongly feel a balanced diet, with healthier choices is the best way to go. What I'm focusing on is eating healthy rather than the weight specifically though I am still weighing myself every day. And I have an overall weight loss goal.

I'm happy to say that I've lost 15 pounds so far. I still have cravings for junk food and I have had times when I've chosen poorly but I've mostly stuck to my diet. A couple things I noticed. The first time I had pop in over a month it was ridiculously sweet. Last week I broke down and had a diet pop and even it tasted sweet to me. I couldn't finish it. A couple of times when I ate poorly and had too much I actually felt a bit sick after. I'm not sure if it was the greasy food or eating too much or a combination of the two but it was a good lesson.

The next two weekends will be hard since I'm going out socially on both Saturday and Sunday but I'm determined to do well.

Next step is incorporating exercise into my routine, which I haven't really done yet.

My overall goal is to lose approximately 100lbs, which will put me right in the middle of my healthy weight range.

borghe

working with someone close to me, I can't stress no soda pop enough.. even diet.

the problem with "well I switched to diet" is that it still keeps the person entrenched in "sweet nutrition". it is still 100% a gateway drug to more sweets and in many cases carbs in general.

fortunately in my case.. I am not a sweets person to begin with (chips/salt though... oh man oh man...) So switching to diet soda was mostly just for the flavor caffeine, not really the sweet substitute. but if you're someone who struggles with sweet stuff, just get rid of the diet soda.. having it will NOT make not having sweets other times any better, and has a strong chance to justify a sweet here and there.

The first time I had pop in over a month it was ridiculously sweet. Last week I broke down and had a diet pop and even it tasted sweet to me.

absolute truth. I hadn't had a soda sweetened with sugar/HFCS in years (couldn't even tell you.. 4 or 5 years?) and someone gave me a drink, I thought it was diet, and I said out loud "holy shit? this is diet?!?!?" to which they were like "no, it's not." and I just said "forget this. this is awful." In my memory I don't ever remember having anything that sweet in my life. insane. and having been on only coffee and water (and milk) for the last 3-4 months, I had a diet and was like "wow, this is really sweet." had it not been in a sealed Diet Mt. Dew bottle I almost would have mistaken it for non-diet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I began my own journey to being healthy this year. I was shocked when I weighed myself. I changed my diet - no pop (even diet), drinking more water, no fast food or junk food. I made the switch to whole wheat breads and tried to reduce some of the carbs. Basically I'm following the Canada Food Guide as I strongly feel a balanced diet, with healthier choices is the best way to go.

Congratulations on the weight loss, but what are you basing your strong belief on and how do you define a "balanced diet" and "healthier choices?"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I have the occasional diet soda, hasn't made me binge on sweets.

Hell, I sometimes have a can of non-diet if it fits my macros and calories for that day.

Top Bottom