• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Weight Loss Before/After thread! Pics ahoy!

So things for me have been bad for a while weight wise. I've been overweight/obese for my entire adult life. I was a skinny kid, but since the age of about 11/12 since I started secondary school I just got bigger and bigger.

I turned 28 on saturday and I currently weigh 310lbs. I started the year over 322 (I don't know the exact starting point because my scales only went up to 23 stone. So I don't know if I weighed 23 or just the scales couldn't go any further) I lost 14lbs in the first two weeks of the year with regular excersice and calorie counting, however my father became very ill after those two weeks and died in early February. I feel terrible to use that as excuse but my eating went to shit over that period of time and I gained 10lbs back. I started back on my diet last week and have got down to 310.

I'm only 5ft10 so I'm incredibly over weight. A few years ago for one of my jobs I had to have a medical and the doctor basically told me if I don't change I'll be dead before I'm 50. I guess I'm writing here just to get some stuff on my chest and put it out there, so I have a bit more accountability

It's effected my life pretty badly. I'm a recluse, never had a meaningful relationship, I have so much anger built up inside of me that I alienate anyone and everyone including my family.

Anyway so this is what I'm doing this year, making a conscious effort to get in better health, I've lost at least 12lbs so far with hundreds to go, but its a start.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So things for me have been bad for a while weight wise. I've been overweight/obese for my entire adult life. I was a skinny kid, but since the age of about 11/12 since I started secondary school I just got bigger and bigger.

I turned 28 on saturday and I currently weigh 310lbs. I started the year over 322 (I don't know the exact starting point because my scales only went up to 23 stone. So I don't know if I weighed 23 or just the scales couldn't go any further) I lost 14lbs in the first two weeks of the year with regular excersice and calorie counting, however my father became very ill after those two weeks and died in early February. I feel terrible to use that as excuse but my eating went to shit over that period of time and I gained 10lbs back. I started back on my diet last week and have got down to 310.

I'm only 5ft10 so I'm incredibly over weight. A few years ago for one of my jobs I had to have a medical and the doctor basically told me if I don't change I'll be dead before I'm 50. I guess I'm writing here just to get some stuff on my chest and put it out there, so I have a bit more accountability

It's effected my life pretty badly. I'm a recluse, never had a meaningful relationship, I have so much anger built up inside of me that I alienate anyone and everyone including my family.

Anyway so this is what I'm doing this year, making a conscious effort to get in better health, I've lost at least 12lbs so far with hundreds to go, but its a start.

Use it.

Honestly, you can do it! /r/loseit is a brilliant subreddit for weight loss support, as well as here and the Fitness GAF thread.

All the best!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah triggered

*edit*

damnit, top post :p

Hey, I think it's a worthy topic of discussion in a thread that heavily deals with nutrition and wellness.

Throwing around terms like "balanced diet" and "healthier choice" as if there is any kind of consensus whatsoever is just not productive in my opinion.

I was staying at a Four Seasons a couple of weeks ago and I remember taking a look at their breakfast menu that's conveniently placed in the room. In the "Healthy Choice" section, you could choose from a variety of fruit juices, pastries, breads and jams, and non-fat yogurts with granola. It was absolute nonsense, but that's what so much of America (and other parts of the world) think of when they hear "healthy."

RDreamer

I'm now to the odd part of my diet where I have to transition to eating more "normally" and by normally I mean "a shitload more than now" so I don't just keep dropping to nothing. I'm finally far into a normal healthy weight (about 175 down from 255+ back in October). I really shouldn't get any skinnier past this point, but at the same time I barely want to eat much more... except binging on peanut butter nowadays. Good lord I'm addicted to peanut butter.

Anyway, I really hope everyone posting in this thread makes it to their goal just like I did. It's nice to be able to look at food and know I can eat a lot more than I have been and not feel guilty. It's nice to look at my body again and not feel guilty. It's nice feeling responsible and healthier.

I have the occasional diet soda, hasn't made me binge on sweets.

Hell, I sometimes have a can of non-diet if it fits my macros and calories for that day.

Bottom line is that everyone's different. Some people can have occasional treats of certain kinds, and others will be too tempted after having some and may keep at it. You've gotta know yourself. I know soda is ridiculously addicting for me, so I cut it out completely for a long while. Now I could probably add it back in, but honestly I'm at the point where I'd rather spend those calories on something else that tastes better. Maybe because I've forgotten how good soda can be. Anyway, that's good for my teeth to stay away.

brawly

Set yourself a longterm and shortterm goal. Let's say 10lbs loss per month and down to 200lbs at the end of the year. Envision your new self at that weight and whenever you have a moment of weakness remind yourself that you need to lose 10lbs at the end of the month to fulfill that vision. Wanting to lose weight is fine but doing it with a clear goal will make it easier.

The first pounds are always the hardest, but when you hit the first milestone like 250lbs you'll have worked so hard that it'll take little effort to not go off the road and squander all of it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Remember, it's a marathon and not a sprint.

One day won't undo all your hard work. Chalk it down as a mistake/treat and carry on.

It's a day to day struggle for sure, but I tend to have a lot more good days than bad so I've been successful at keeping the weight off so far.

depends on where you are in the process (not wanting to be debbie downer, but it's true). if you're still in the process of your body chemistry correcting itself and your metabolism growing, one huge cheat (or a bunch of small ones) can indeed wipe out a week or more of progress.

I'll be at 2 years in July since I started to lose weight and I've lost around 90lbs total. I'm 10lbs away from a healthy BMI, although I look and feel just fine where I am, I easily have 10lbs of loose skin which I hope to have removed one day if I'm ever in a better financial situation. This was my worst blowout in 2 years by far, I just completely caved when I saw that damn £9.99 any pizza, any size coupon and I just went nuts and inhaled the whole damn thing. That being said, a meat feast cheesy bites with extra cheese is a thing of beauty and it tasted amazing :D

Lashley

Bottom line is that everyone's different. Some people can have occasional treats of certain kinds, and others will be too tempted after having some and may keep at it. You've gotta know yourself. I know soda is ridiculously addicting for me, so I cut it out completely for a long while. Now I could probably add it back in, but honestly I'm at the point where I'd rather spend those calories on something else that tastes better. Maybe because I've forgotten how good soda can be. Anyway, that's good for my teeth to stay away.

I can agree with this. For example, I find fasting easy but some get light headed or even ill. People just need to find what works for them.

So I have been on my diet since about Jan. 28ish and also slowly adding gym time over the last few weeks. Nothing to hard but just enough to get used to it. Today I started to go harder and adding the couch to 5k into my gym routine. I only lost 8 pounds so far but I could not be happier. Have not seen 252 in years!!!

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations on the weight loss, but what are you basing your strong belief on and how do you define a "balanced diet" and "healthier choices?"

Hey, I think it's a worthy topic of discussion in a thread that heavily deals with nutrition and wellness.

Throwing around terms like "balanced diet" and "healthier choice" as if there is any kind of consensus whatsoever is just not productive in my opinion.

I was staying at a Four Seasons a couple of weeks ago and I remember taking a look at their breakfast menu that's conveniently placed in the room. In the "Healthy Choice" section, you could choose from a variety of fruit juices, pastries, breads and jams, and non-fat yogurts with granola. It was absolute nonsense, but that's what so much of America (and other parts of the world) think of when they hear "healthy."

Like I said, I'm basically following the Canada Food Guide. It's something from every food group. For me, that's what I mean by balanced.

7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables
6-7 servings of grains
2 servings of milk or alternatives
2 servings meat or alternatives

I eat fresh fruit, not juice. I eat mostly raw vegetables or salad. The salads I have either no dressing or one I've made myself. Like today I had a baby spinach salad with tomatoes and red onion. The dressing I made was just fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper and little olive oil. Cooked vegetables are with minimal amount of olive oil or broth or steamed. No added butter.

I've changed from white bread to whole wheat (and I read the label to check to see what type of wheat is used) as well as whole wheat pitas or tortillas. I don't use butter or margarine. I'm incorporating more grains such as quinoa or bulgar and I'm careful with how I prepare them.

I'll have air popped popcorn plain. Instead of chips and dip, I made pico de gallo with tomatoes, lime, cilantro, onion and salt and pepper. I cut up a whole wheat tortilla and put it in the oven to crisp up. That was my chips and dip.

I'm reading the labels more that I did before so I know what is in what I buy. I drink water.

These are the sort of things I mean by healthier choices. The menu that you describe doesn't sound particularly healthy to me.

I don't know exactly where I get my belief on a balanced diet but it's working for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said, I'm basically following the Canada Food Guide. It's something from every food group. For me, that's what I mean by balanced.

7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables
6-7 servings of grains
2 servings of milk or alternatives
2 servings meat or alternatives

I eat fresh fruit, not juice. I eat mostly raw vegetables or salad. The salads I have either no dressing or one I've made myself. Like today I had a baby spinach salad with tomatoes and red onion. The dressing I made was just fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper and little olive oil. Cooked vegetables are with minimal amount of olive oil or broth or steamed. No added butter.

I've changed from white bread to whole wheat (and I read the label to check to see what type of wheat is used) as well as whole wheat pitas or tortillas. I don't use butter or margarine. I'm incorporating more grains such as quinoa or bulgar and I'm careful with how I prepare them.

I'll have air popped popcorn plain. Instead of chips and dip, I made pico de gallo with tomatoes, lime, cilantro, onion and salt and pepper. I cut up a whole wheat tortilla and put it in the oven to crisp up. That was my chips and dip.

I'm reading the labels more that I did before so I know what is in what I buy. I drink water.

These are the sort of things I mean by healthier choices. The menu that you describe doesn't sound particularly healthy to me.

I don't know exactly where I get my belief on a balanced diet but it's working for me.

Whatever is working for you is the way to go, but please do realize that these food groups and their recommended portions are completely arbitrarily defined. There's no logic behind it all. They recommend against sugars, but are happy to recommend hundreds of grams of easily digestible carbohydrates that aren't really very different in metabolic terms. Fruit juice is in the same group as leafy green vegetables. Soy milk is grouped with dairy. Tofu with meat and beans. It's quite honestly a bunch of nonsense.

I don't mean to criticize what you are doing personally. If it's working for you and you feel better, then please stick to it! I just took issue with the idea of "balanced" being derived from completely arbitrarily defined food groups and used to imply healthiness.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
completely agreed. I absolutely believe that national "healthy eating standards" have NOTHING (or very little) to do with strong science.. and mostly come from "what are the foods that makeup the typical supermarket aisles, and what are some rough guidelines we can apply to those aisles"

I mean really.. we should have grains cut out. period. end of story.. but if national standards said "do not eat grains" (and people followed), they would bankrupt entire industries. "do not consume added sugars" would result in something very similar.

so yes.. the standards are roughly "how can we keep the businesses lining the supermarket aisles profitable and in tact while still promoting something that has at least some degree of healthfulness behind it"

I look at those guidelines and say "It's not my concern to make sure Nabisco and Nestle can remain in business. It's my concern to make sure I am healthy enough to make it to 125 years old and still remaining active at that age"

Munti

Thx to all, you're so motivating!

Maybe someone has some tips for me.
I'm 25 and until I became 20 I ate my whole life as a pig very excessively and only unhealthy things.
Surprisingly, I was never really too overweight, but chubby. Since then I changed my lifestyle completely and went down from around 83kg (183lb) to 70kg-69kg (54lb) and I'm 174cm tall. I have this weight for some years now, eating mostly healthy (except sometimes at weekends), going 2x week at the gym doing strength training and cardio (recently switched to HIIT) each time and have no problems with this lifestyle and keeping the weight. I'm feeling fit and well in my body. Everyone tells me that I look healthy and slim (in a positive way).

BUT: I have a huge belly. I'm pretty sure that it is visceral fat and my organs are full of fat. No matter what I do, the belly doesn't get smaller and I'm trying so long to get this fat away. So I have some questions:

1. Is it actually possible to lose visceral fat?

2. If yes? Do you know some tips how to lose it? And how long does it need to lose it?

3. I know that visceral fat is super unhealthy, much more than being overweight. So I'm a bit scared of my health. If I could get away the fat in the next few years, would I be ok, or is it already too late and I will feel the consequences years later like getting a stroke?

Raide

Super impressive everyone!

Really great to see people working hard and hitting those goals. While I am not trying to shed pounds, I have the last bit that never seems to drop, so a bit of added motivation from this thread is great.

Keep up the hard work all!

rykomatsu

BUT: I have a huge belly. I'm pretty sure that it is visceral fat and my organs are full of fat. No matter what I do, the belly doesn't get smaller and I'm trying so long to get this fat away. So I have some questions:

1. Is it actually possible to lose visceral fat?

2. If yes? Do you know some tips how to lose it? And how long does it need to lose it?

3. I know that visceral fat is super unhealthy, much more than being overweight. So I'm a bit scared of my health. If I could get away the fat in the next few years, would I be ok, or is it already too late and I will feel the consequences years later like getting a stroke?

1. Yes

2. Exercise combined with diet - visceral fat is largely a result of too much fructose consumption as the liver is the only organ that can metabolize it. Cut down on HFCS consumption or carb consumption in general. This is an area where a very low carb high fat diet can help significantly - the diet controls insulin from being released which in turn allows the body to use fat for energy instead of glucose.

3. It depends if you're diabetic or not - if diabetic, then it's permanent. If you're pre-diabetic, you're still OK.

One thing to note is that you'll feel kinda sick / weak for a few days as you go through initial carb withdrawl and you'll lose strength temporarily (2-6 weeks depending) but if you power through it, you'll be back to your pre-diet levels. The body recomposition rate is quite fast with this diet, though. If you stick with it, you'll naturally manage hunger pangs (since they should be non-existent) and subsequently caloric intake (eating 70%+ fat at 2000 calories per day can be quite...filling...). I would expect to see pretty impressive changes in ~1 month or so.

This was about 2 weeks for me:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174991371&postcount=1107

Afrocious

Hi folks. This is my first post in this thread, and unfortunately I don't have my before/after pics on this computer to show at the moment. However, I do have a question: did any of you ever hit any plateau in weight/fat loss?

I'm on one at the moment and it sucks. Losing weight is a crapshoot now. I've gone from 265 to 224 and I lift weights regularly. The plateau happened when I hit 228-230. While I'm past it, weight loss is still a slog. I'm losing about 2-3 lbs a month now. It took June to December to go from 265 to 240 and that was without counting calories. In January, I went from 240 to 230 and noticed I was getting weaker in the gym. I took a 2 week break in February. And now it's March and I'm at 224 as of today.

I'm 6'2". I'm eating around 1600-1800 calories a day since I work out 6 days a week lifting weights on a PPL routine since December (transitioned from Stronglifts). I either do HIIT or run a mile 3-4x a week. I also drink 180 cal of protein which is made up of two scoops - one pre workout and one post workout.

I'm definitely toning up so IDK. I just want to be swole for summer. Yes I'm vain.

Hi folks. This is my first post in this thread, and unfortunately I don't have my before/after pics on this computer to show at the moment. However, I do have a question: did any of you ever hit any plateau in weight/fat loss?

I'm on one at the moment and it sucks. Losing weight is a crapshoot now. I've gone from 265 to 224 and I lift weights regularly. The plateau happened when I hit 228-230. While I'm past it, weight loss is still a slog. I'm losing about 2-3 lbs a month now. It took June to December to go from 265 to 240 and that was without counting calories. In January, I went from 240 to 230 and noticed I was getting weaker in the gym. I took a 2 week break in February. And now it's March and I'm at 224 as of today.

I'm 6'2". I'm eating around 1600-1800 calories a day since I work out 6 days a week lifting weights on a PPL routine since December (transitioned from Stronglifts). I either do HIIT or run a mile 3-4x a week. I also drink 180 cal of protein which is made up of two scoops - one pre workout and one post workout.

I'm definitely toning up so IDK. I just want to be swole for summer. Yes I'm vain.

I ran into similar issues and I'll be honest man, the only solution is to cut calories yet again or up your cardio even more. What worked when you were 230 isn't going to work when you're 220, you gotta keep cutting the calories down.

I really struggle with this personally. I'm 6'1 and about 210 and I workout 6 days a week with both weight lifting and HIIT and I still can only eat about 1500-1600 calories a day if I want to lose 1.5 - 2 lbs a week. It really sucks, but that's the case for me for some reason. Just gotta follow the math.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Octodad... that seems insane that you would still believe that it's only about the calories after seeing such slow weight loss on such a small amount of calories.

At your height and weight, even the least generous calculators out there would put your resting metabolic rate at a decent number higher than 1500-1600 calories, and that assumes no exercise. You're going hardcore almost every single day with heavy-ass weights and HIIT and who knows what else.

Just seems bonkers to me that your conclusion after experiencing all that is "Just gotta follow the math."

Munti

1. Yes

2. Exercise combined with diet - visceral fat is largely a result of too much fructose consumption as the liver is the only organ that can metabolize it. Cut down on HFCS consumption or carb consumption in general. This is an area where a very low carb high fat diet can help significantly - the diet controls insulin from being released which in turn allows the body to use fat for energy instead of glucose.

3. It depends if you're diabetic or not - if diabetic, then it's permanent. If you're pre-diabetic, you're still OK.

One thing to note is that you'll feel kinda sick / weak for a few days as you go through initial carb withdrawl and you'll lose strength temporarily (2-6 weeks depending) but if you power through it, you'll be back to your pre-diet levels. The body recomposition rate is quite fast with this diet, though. If you stick with it, you'll naturally manage hunger pangs (since they should be non-existent) and subsequently caloric intake (eating 70%+ fat at 2000 calories per day can be quite...filling...). I would expect to see pretty impressive changes in ~1 month or so.

This was about 2 weeks for me:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174991371&postcount=1107

thanks for replying! and your progress is awesome! keep it up!
fortunatelly, i don't have any health Problems (yet).
So you recommend me to eat more fat? I try more than 18 months to lose the belly fat, but it just doesn't work :(.

That's what i usually eat during weekdays:
Morning: low fat curd cheese or natural yoghourt

Lunch: i eat in the canteen of my workplace. They cook really good and fresh things and offer each day 2 menues. yeah, sometimes there is a bit carb on the plate, but not always. I eat there to make sure that i get different vitamins. When i take a healthy menu (which only/or mostly consists of vegetables) i take a normal sized portion. When i take a portion, which is less healthier, i take a small sized portion.

Dinner: I change between this 3 menues:
- Tomato with mozzarella (without sauces)
- 2/3 eggs with zucchini or peperoni (cooking without oil)
- chicken breast with zucchini or peperoni (cooking without oil)

Drinking only water or black coffee.
At weekends i take the things bit easier and also go to restaurants, but i don't overeat!

I think I just have to stick to it longer or more excessive. Just hopping that i will get a flat stomach until this summer :(

Octodad... that seems insane that you would still believe that it's only about the calories after seeing such slow weight loss on such a small amount of calories.

At your height and weight, even the least generous calculators out there would put your resting metabolic rate at a decent number higher than 1500-1600 calories, and that assumes no exercise. You're going hardcore almost every single day with heavy-ass weights and HIIT and who knows what else.

Just seems bonkers to me that your conclusion after experiencing all that is "Just gotta follow the math."

I hear you man. That said, I've tried other methods. I've done paleo. I've done eating "clean." I've done IF. I've tried keto. All of them came down to the same result. I need to hit about 1600 calories a day if I want to drop 2lbs a week. I'm incredibly driven when I commit to something so I have no problem giving something a shot, but I've never seen much variance.

Of course my resting rate is higher, I'm talking about losing approx 2lbs a week. That's about a 7,000 calorie deficit or around 500 calories a day below maintenance. That means my maintenance is about 2100 calories a day. That's really not THAT crazy. A BMR calculator puts me at 2108 calories a day for my BMR. If I start losing more than 2lbs a week, I'll up my calorie intake. If I start losing a large amount of strength/muscle, I'll revaluate my calorie intake.

You can debate it all you want but I've literally done months of measuring, daily weigh ins, tracking calories and intake. I'm open to learning and changing my perspective, but any time has told me to try something else, no matter how I rearrange the diet it basically comes down to getting about 150-180grams of protein, and staying within my calorie limit. Not sure what to tell you.

JCX

My weight loss always seems to bounce around a bit. Right not I'm trying to get under 230. Hit that goal weeks ago, but bounced back to 235, but now I'm at 231 and look much leaner than I did when I last got under 230. Since most of my exercise is weightlifting 6x a week, I assume it is due to some muscle gain and some fat loss.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hear you man. That said, I've tried other methods. I've done paleo. I've done eating "clean." I've done IF. I've tried keto. All of them came down to the same result. I need to hit about 1600 calories a day if I want to drop 2lbs a week. I'm incredibly driven when I commit to something so I have no problem giving something a shot, but I've never seen much variance.

Of course my resting rate is higher, I'm talking about losing approx 2lbs a week. That's about a 7,000 calorie deficit or around 500 calories a day below maintenance. That means my maintenance is about 2100 calories a day. That's really not THAT crazy. A BMR calculator puts me at 2108 calories a day for my BMR. If I start losing more than 2lbs a week, I'll up my calorie intake. If I start losing a large amount of strength/muscle, I'll revaluate my calorie intake.

You can debate it all you want but I've literally done months of measuring, daily weigh ins, tracking calories and intake. I'm open to learning and changing my perspective, but any time has told me to try something else, no matter how I rearrange the diet it basically comes down to getting about 150-180grams of protein, and staying within my calorie limit. Not sure what to tell you.

I don't really have enough information to comment on anything that you mentioned trying, but it sounds like you really have it figured out when it comes to your own body, which is awesome.

What do you use to collect and keep all this data? Sounds like a lot to just jot it down on paper.

Myfitness pal. It's an app that you can use to simply scan a barcode and it inputs almost any food. I weigh all my food and portions as well.

I weigh in every morning right when I wake up. It keeps a chart. I don't concern myself with daily fluctuations too much, but look at week over week averages.

I don't really have enough information to comment on anything that you mentioned trying, but it sounds like you really have it figured out when it comes to your own body, which is awesome.

Please don't take it as me trying to shut you down. I really am open to learning areas that I got it wrong or blindspots. I think each body is a bit unique, but I also believe that the laws of thermodynamics apply. As a former fattie (who's still a bit overweight), I have a higher likelihood of gaining again. My wife has always been thin and fit and she can eat a lot differently than I do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Myfitness pal. It's an app that you can use to simply scan a barcode and it inputs almost any food. I weigh all my food and portions as well.

I weigh in every morning right when I wake up. It keeps a chart. I don't concern myself with daily fluctuations too much, but look at week over week averages.

Please don't take it as me trying to shut you down. I really am open to learning areas that I got it wrong or blindspots. I think each body is a bit unique, but I also believe that the laws of thermodynamics apply. As a former fattie (who's still a bit overweight), I have a higher likelihood of gaining again. My wife has always been thin and fit and she can eat a lot differently than I do.

Obviously the laws of thermodynamics do apply to everything. They are the laws of thermodynamics after all.

What I have never understood is the idea that they can be reduced to a simple in>out formula when it comes to the human body, its energy expenditure, and how it processes food when viewed in arbitrary 24-hour windows, but I imagine it's because it's a very simple idea, and lots of people like things simple.

But if you've gotten to the point that you can pinpoint the exact amount of food, as viewed merely by potential caloric yield regardless of composition, that you can eat in order to lose a very specific amount of weight (read: weight on scale not fat) at a very specific pace, then I think you've won the game of controlling your body composition. That's honestly incredible to me.

Week 33: 1.6lbs loss
Week 34: 1.2lbs gain
Week 35: 3.6lbs loss
Week 36: 1.4lbs loss
Week 37: 2.0lbs loss
Avg. Weekly Loss: 2.5lbs
Current Weight: 181.2lbs

This week's loss was a shock - I ate SO much crap in the week, ha.

Hit my revised target of 13 stone (182lbs). Gonna go for 12.5 stone (175lbs) now.

JCX

Hit a lot of good fitness milestones this week

- Lowest weight since college (227)
- Can fit into a size large shirt fairly comfortably
- Visible calves!

I hit a plateau for a while, so it's nice to have some good progress for once.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I will never understand my body, months of 1500 - 1700 calories and I can't budge from 15st - 15st 2lbs, then I have a bender and knock back a McDonald's, saveloy and chips and God knows what else last week and I'm 14st 10lbs today, the lowest I've been in months. Maybe my superpower is losing weight while eating junk?

94lbs down, 6lbs to go.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is the best route for weighing yourself a fixed time every week? I've noticed serious fluctuations day to day and even through out the day.

Once a week as soon as you get up after you've been to the toilet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is the best route for weighing yourself a fixed time every week? I've noticed serious fluctuations day to day and even through out the day.

I don't understand how reducing the number of data points would help whatever your concern is.

There's no telling that one of those "serious fluctuations" wouldn't land on whatever arbitrary day you pick for your weekly weigh in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So what is your advice?

As much as possible, weigh daily at a set time or under set conditions and record your data.

When you look at it over a span of months, you'll see a trend either way and those daily fluctuations won't matter so much.

JCX

I don't understand how reducing the number of data points would help whatever your concern is.

There's no telling that one of those "serious fluctuations" wouldn't land on whatever arbitrary day you pick for your weekly weigh in.

For me, fluctuations can be a big demotivater. My weight loss hasn't been a straight decrease, so if I go up a few pounds after days of healthy eating, it's gonna throw me off. My timeline is long (1.5 years at this point), so one or two data points per week give me a good idea of trends without getting caught in the weeds.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For me, fluctuations can be a big demotivater. My weight loss hasn't been a straight decrease, so if I go up a few pounds after days of healthy eating, it's gonna throw me off. My timeline is long (1.5 years at this point), so one or two data points per week give me a good idea of trends without getting caught in the weeds.

Obviously don't weigh every day if you find it demotivates!

I weigh once in the morning almost every day and have data going back to July of 2014. (I used to put in a spreadsheet, but ever since Apple debuted their Health app, it's been super easy to just input the data in there and get a quick visualization).

I haven't had any huge fluctuations since then, but it's interesting to see trends where my weight definitely peaks in the winter months and is lowest in the spring/summer. I'll often go 4 ~ 7 days in a row where the scale will give me the exact same reading, then I'll either go up or down a pound or two and stay there for another few days to a week.

Ixian

https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/24hv3d/i_made_you_guys_something_likwidteks_epic_weight/

I like this spreadsheet for recording weight because it includes your trending weight as well, which is key. I personally weigh myself every morning after I wake up and go to the bathroom; I already have a good idea of what causes fluctuations in my weight day-to-day (did I eat more carbs or sodium the day before?), but having all of the data helps numb me to the fluctuations as well.

Sorry for not updating lately. I'm down to 207 lbs and just got a free mountain bike on Craigslist. Now I need to find an affordable set of protective gear (I don't know how to ride a bike and I'd rather not kill myself not wearing a helmet or pads).

Finally hit about 12 pounds lost. Not my most flattering pictures but whatever.

e7ulYYb.jpg

It's gonna be a mix. Didn't "digest" before I weighed either. I reckon it's 3-4 actual lbs. I did kind of have a cheat week to be fair so I'm alright with it. I'm still at my main target.

Back on the train next week :)

JCX

Put on 5.2lbs this week. Feeling really really down about it. I mean I know I shouldn't due to how far I've come but...yeah

Yeah it can really suck when you're doing everything right but your body disagrees. I've been weighing myself less often because of that. Using the mirror as a progress guide is less demotivating.

FStop7

Banned
^ amazing. Any weight differences to share?

Holy hell F-stop. Damn good job.

Thank you!

I started at 370 currently at 210. At some point I probably weighed more than 370. Probably close to 400. But I "officially" consider the starting point as 370 because that's what my weight was when I started recording it.

I'd like to see 180 when it's all done. I'm 6'1" on a size 13 shoe, I have a pretty big frame so I doubt I'll ever see my "ideal"weigh of 165-170 without some serious cutting. But I think 180 is totally attainable.

Lashley

I need to be back to dieting tomorrow. Been over by a few hundred calories these past few days.

Top Bottom