• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Weight Loss Before/After thread! Pics ahoy!

FX0I36Rh.jpg

First time in a decade I've weighed less then 200 pounds
That's awesome!! :) :) Getting to less than 200 is my goal too - slightly less than 50 lbs to go (after having lost 50 lbs already)

SeanR1221

Nice job Hawk!

Glad to see this thread bumped.

Im in the process of cutting again. I should be down 10lbs by march. Then I'm running maintenance through the summer.

Good luck on hitting your goals, everyone!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Awesome work. Hope you find a type of exercise that helps keep it off or a life style that really sticks.
Thanks a lot, I will be working on continuing to decrease BF% and putting muscle on soon, rather than "keeping it off" so much, but definitely hoping to keep the active lifestyle a permanent thing :)
Also keep the beard.
haha for sure.
Proud of ya.
How did you do it?
Thank you!
Worked my ass off haha, tried to be at least a little active every day and control my eating. Assorted P90X workouts and lifting, cycling to work a couple days a week, some elliptical, and what you eat will always count for more than anything else as I'm sure is common knowledge in here. Stayed generally low carb and low calorie, but didn't generally deprive myself eiether and had a cheat day here and there (have one tomorrow and I am very excited :p).
Nice job Hawk!

Glad to see this thread bumped.

Im in the process of cutting again. I should be down 10lbs by march. Then I'm running maintenance through the summer.

Good luck on hitting your goals, everyone!
Thanks a bunch. Good luck on yours as well sir.

Laekon

Thanks a lot, I will be working on continuing to decrease BF% and putting muscle on soon, rather than "keeping it off" so much, but definitely hoping to keep the active lifestyle a permanent thing :)

Mainting or improving past a certain point has been the toughest part for me. At my heaviest I was at 260 5'11". I slowly lost down to 240 and then started a real fitness program and moved at a good pace down to 200. I got bored though, tried some new things like running, but slowly crept back up to 220. Over the last few years I keep bouncing around, getting back to 200 but mostly hovering around 210. I really haven't achieved a "body transformation" just lost weight. I turn 40 soon and want to get under 200 by then. I know with IF and tracking calories I'll get there but need to come up with a way of staying there. I really seem to struggle with gaining strength and muscle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mainting or improving past a certain point has been the toughest part for me. At my heaviest I was at 260 5'11". I slowly lost down to 240 and then started a real fitness program and moved at a good pace down to 200. I got bored though, tried some new things like running, but slowly crept back up to 220. Over the last few years I keep bouncing around, getting back to 200 but mostly hovering around 210. I really haven't achieved a "body transformation" just lost weight. I turn 40 soon and want to get under 200 by then. I know with IF and tracking calories I'll get there but need to come up with a way of staying there. I really seem to struggle with gaining strength and muscle.
A regular routine that you enjoy definitely makes a massive difference. What were you doing in your fitness program that got your down to your lowest, and did you enjoy it? What kind of stuff was the most boring?

If you have it available, I definitely recommended trying to do say two days of 45 mins of basic lifting to your week. It can be very satisfying, feels less monotonous than running or other steady-state cardio to me. And if you do enjoy it that will help with the "transformation" you're talking about, using the caloric energy you take in to build some muscle rather than just losing weight, though it is good for weight loss too (as long as you are taking in less than you burn as I'm sure is obvious to you since you mentioned tracking).

I'm lucky that I found that I absolutely love cycling as well, so if there is something like that for you- a good regular source of exercise that you enjoy for its own sake- try and find it. Swimming, hiking, rock climbing?

Laekon

A regular routine that you enjoy definitely makes a massive difference. What were you doing in your fitness program that got your down to your lowest, and did you enjoy it? What kind of stuff was the most boring?

If you have it available, I definitely recommended trying to do say two days of 45 mins of basic lifting to your week. It can be very satisfying, feels less monotonous than running or other steady-state cardio to me. And if you do enjoy it that will help with the "transformation" you're talking about, using the caloric energy you take in to build some muscle rather than just losing weight, though it is good for weight loss too (as long as you are taking in less than you burn as I'm sure is obvious to you since you mentioned tracking).

I'm lucky that I found that I absolutely love cycling as well, so if there is something like that for you- a good regular source of exercise that you enjoy for its own sake- try and find it. Swimming, hiking, rock climbing?

When I was losing the fastest my old job had a personal trainer come in and did 3 person circuit workouts. I enjoyed it but the trainer stopped to have a kid. It was also cheap as it was split 3 ways and the company paid a part.

I'm a cyclist but go through periods of riding/not riding. The not riding parts of the cycle have gotten a lot longer. Again I just get bored riding the same routes but not being fit enough for others.

At the moment I'm going to try to build a good strength foundation doing a bodyweight workout and focus on getting my weight back down.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nice. Don't be afraid to do some simple stuff with free weights if you can get your hands on them.

On my bike, I have this water bottle holder: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00724OR4M/?tag=neogaf0e-20
And in it sits an amazon tap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BH83OOM/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (watch for frequent sales)

Tethered to my phone, so I can ride safely with control over tunes and access all manner of music- does help to keep the rides from getting stale.

There's definitely nothing like the forced responsibility of having a trainer though. Sounds like you had a pretty sweet setup in the old job, it's crazy that they were paying for some of it! Wow. If you really enjoyed it though, might be worth shopping around to at least see if there is anyone you like in your area at your price range, once you have the foundation you want.

So this was me back at 260

This is me now around 188

Even though I still have a bit of a gut I plan to end my hard core diet (ideal protein) and start exercising more to tone out the rest. I still plan to largely follow the ideas of ideal protein's diet once I'm done but I just want the flexibility to not eat the same handful of approved foods every day.

LtOrange

Hey ya'll. Here is Mar-Dec 2016
180lbs+, 32% BF to 156, 19% BF

Seriously impressive. Seeing this post has motivated me to get out of bed and go the gym. Finding the drive to lift has been a real struggle for me as I lose weight. Thank you for motivation!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So this was me back at 260

This is me now around 188

Even though I still have a bit of a gut I plan to end my hard core diet (ideal protein) and start exercising more to tone out the rest. I still plan to largely follow the ideas of ideal protein's diet once I'm done but I just want the flexibility to not eat the same handful of approved foods every day.
72 pounds man, holy crap. Well done.

I had never heard of Ideal Protein and just looked into their protocol. Definitely seems sound to me. Awesome work.
Seriously impressive. Seeing this post has motivated me to get out of bed and go the gym. Finding the drive to lift has been a real struggle for me as I lose weight. Thank you for motivation!
Thank you for this post, I go back and forth quite a bit with myself about posting "progress pics" or anything of the sort... I don't like how I look even at my best and I don't like to be vain, either. Any time I read something like this it reminds me of the actual reason to post stuff.

Lifting totally becomes more and more satisfying over time in my opinion. You got this. :)

I just crossed the big 5 0 on the ideal protein diet, 2 weeks till I finish. In total its been 75 pounds from where I was at my heaviest (260 vs 185)

This seems like the kind of thread I've been looking for. Went from 170 and in good shape up to 240 due to surgery and multiple injuries. I started working out again and trying to eat right a couple days after Thanksgiving 2016, and I'm back down to 210. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to keep me motivated, goal is to get down to at least 170 and maybe 165 by the end of the year.

Started working out hardcore two months ago, dropped from 330 down to 300. My goal is to hit 150. My sister says 250 should be my goal. I'm 6'2''. Can anyone advise?

brawly

Started working out hardcore two months ago, dropped from 330 down to 300. My goal is to hit 150. My sister says 250 should be my goal. I'm 6'2''. Can anyone advise?

150 is possible. I reached that about 1,5 years ago (I'm 6'3"). Was too skinny though and put on a little under 40lbs since (mostly musclemass).

Granted, I didn't start at 300. You might have some loose skin, so either stopping earlier or going further and then putting on mass might be a good idea.

For now I'd just keep going and worry about that later.

150 seems a bit light for 6'2". I'm 5'9" and my goal is 160. If you want any muscle at all I'd recommend trying for 180, and depending on how much muscle you want you could go up to 200.

Sulik2

Weight loss GAF I need help. Just some background, I am 6'4, 269, 30-35% body fat and almost 32 year old man. I've struggled with weight my entire life. In the middle of 2015 I got up to 290 which was the most I weighed since 2004 and I decided I had to do something. I started counting calories and changed my diet and managed to get down to 248 in March of last year. Its been all downhill from there. My battle against hunger has become a losing one. In early January I was back up to 268 and decided to try and get my weight under control again. I've been working out four days a week this time which I didn't do previously and started trying to force myself back to 2100 calories a day as much as possible. Losing to hunger two or three days a week but, yesterday evening I weighed and was down to 262.6. I was super happy, seemed like I had finally broken through and was losing weight again.

Today after working out I was 269.8. I'm about to give up and just admit my natural weight is about 285 and I will always be fat. If I fight against the constant hunger and continue to not lose weight or inches whats the point? And by hunger I mean eating a full 600 - 800 calorie meal and being so much hungrier afterwards that l sometimes go eat a large pizza from Little Ceasars just to finally feel full. Is there anything I can do to try and curb my constant hunger? Should I talk to my doctor about gastric surgery? I just want to get down to 225 and then get in shape and it feels like my body is fighting as hard as it can to not lose weight.

oti

Banned
Weight loss GAF I need help. Just some background, I am 6'4, 269, 30-35% body fat and almost 32 year old man. I've struggled with weight my entire life. In the middle of 2015 I got up to 290 which was the most I weighed since 2004 and I decided I had to do something. I started counting calories and changed my diet and managed to get down to 248 in March of last year. Its been all downhill from there. My battle against hunger has become a losing one. In early January I was back up to 268 and decided to try and get my weight under control again. I've been working out four days a week this time which I didn't do previously and started trying to force myself back to 2100 calories a day as much as possible. Losing to hunger two or three days a week but, yesterday evening I weighed and was down to 262.6. I was super happy, seemed like I had finally broken through and was losing weight again.

Today after working out I was 269.8. I'm about to give up and just admit my natural weight is about 285 and I will always be fat. If I fight against the constant hunger and continue to not lose weight or inches whats the point? And by hunger I mean eating a full 600 - 800 calorie meal and being so much hungrier afterwards that l sometimes go eat a large pizza from Little Ceasars just to finally feel full. Is there anything I can do to try and curb my constant hunger? Should I talk to my doctor about gastric surgery? I just want to get down to 225 and then get in shape and it feels like my body is fighting as hard as it can to not lose weight.

Eat low-calorie/filling snacks.

Self-made Popcorn is a good way to go. Don't add melted butter and sugar. Or make some kind of chia pudding. That will fill you up.

IMACOMPUTA

I've lurked this thread for quite a while. Really amazed by a lot of your results. Inspirational stuff.

I never thought I'd be posting in here, but here I am.
I've lost around 80 lbs in 8 months.

Still a lot of work to be done!

screenshot_20161206-292orj.png

screenshot_20161206-20lp19.png

Don't give up. You need to find a diet that works for you.
Have you considered a ketogenic diet?
Counting calories and limiting the amount of food I was eating was never going to work for me. All the weight I've lost has been by limiting carbs. I've been able to eat as much as I want as long as I'm limiting my carbs to 20-50g a day.
You should really consider giving this a try. I can't guarantee it'll work for you, but I've been amazed at how easy it has been to stick to this.

Some great progress on this page.

I'm hovering between 175-180lbs it seems. Happy with that as I'm pretty much eating whatever I want. Pretty sure I botched my metabolism along my journey, ha!

Congratulations Hawkian and IMACOMPUTA, wow. (and everyone else too)

I personally have been on a low-carb cleanse (I don't call it a diet since I don't intend to start consuming sugars again), and it has been life changing.

I cut out sugars, starches and have been replacing them with protein and fat.
I am less hungry, I lost a lot of weight already in a month, and I feel a lot more energetic. This is without any excercise. (I am glued to a desk 24/7 due to work)

To be honest, I'd recommend everyone to give this a try for a month. If you're looking for a change. Give your body a break, it doesn't know how to process all those sugars.. but it will know how to deal with fats and protein.

New002

XhOHJqu.png

M/31/5'4 [200lbs>145 = 55 lbs] (6 months) MMA training

Good deal! We've got similar stats and my goal is around the same (5' 5" @ 140). It's taken me a few months to get things dialed in but I'm good to go now I think. Down 15 lbs after the first 4 months, but I expect that pace to quicken now that I've landed on a good diet and workout routine. Trying to get as close as I can by July 1st.

av2k

Good deal! We've got similar stats and my goal is around the same (5' 5" @ 140). It's taken me a few months to get things dialed in but I'm good to go now I think. Down 15 lbs after the first 4 months, but I expect that pace to quicken now that I've landed on a good diet and workout routine. Trying to get as close as I can by July 1st.

Absolutely! Once you get your routine down, it should be smooth sailing, stay the course! :D

DopeToast

Banned
I know this place is pretty much dead, unfortunately, but I've lost 30.5 pounds in eight weeks (since the Super Bowl), as well as gained in my lifts at the gym a decent amount. The weight training gains are slowing down, which makes sense, but the fat is still coming off steadily. Started at 264.4 and now at 230.5

New002

I know this place is pretty much dead, unfortunately, but I've lost 30.5 pounds in eight weeks (since the Super Bowl), as well as gained in my lifts at the gym a decent amount. The weight training gains are slowing down, which makes sense, but the fat is still coming off steadily. Started at 264.4 and now at 230.5

Hot damn that's some crazy progress. Congrats! Whats your end goal weight if you don't mind my asking?

I've got 30lbs left to go. My goal date for that is Sept. 1st.

Keep up the good work. Since ending my diet at 185 (started at 260) I hover between that and 190 pretty happy but I need to go to the gym more and tone up.

DopeToast

Banned
Hot damn that's some crazy progress. Congrats! Whats your end goal weight if you don't mind my asking?

I've got 30lbs left to go. My goal date for that is Sept. 1st.

I'm still undecided on what my end goal weight is because I haven't been this light in so long that I'm not sure what I'll look or feel like weighing any less than I do. For my height (5'10"), a heathy BMI ranges from 130-175, so I'm aiming for no more than 175. I know the BMI isn't a perfect measurement, and with my new strength training goals in place, at some point I'll be trying to put on weight for strength gaining purposes, so the number is still not concrete, but probably somewhere between 165 and 190.

My highest weight was 300, and I got down to 240 in 2013, and I've hovered anywhere from 240-265 since then, so I'm trying to break that barrier and get to below 200 for good.

New002

I'm still undecided on what my end goal weight is because I haven't been this light in so long that I'm not sure what I'll look or feel like weighing any less than I do. For my height (5'10"), a heathy BMI ranges from 130-175, so I'm aiming for no more than 175. I know the BMI isn't a perfect measurement, and with my new strength training goals in place, at some point I'll be trying to put on weight for strength gaining purposes, so the number is still not concrete, but probably somewhere between 165 and 190.

My highest weight was 300, and I got down to 240 in 2013, and I've hovered anywhere from 240-265 since then, so I'm trying to break that barrier and get to below 200 for good.

Nice. Sounds like you're on your way for sure. Keep up the great work! I'm also shooting for a weight that I've never been at before as an adult so I'm curious what I'll look like then lol.

Emwitus

Just did the math and realized I've lost an average of 0.497 lbs. per day for 88 days now. Down 43.7 pounds.

Mind if i asked how.

Currently at 204 (6 1'). I love running but my knees :-(, they wont let me. Need a way to cut down and good routine for a poor folk that can't afford a gym membership. Any help would be appreciated.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Summer season is killing me :/. Went from around 59 kg back to 63 kg. A knee injury prevents me from running long-distance and my house is pretty warm right now which doesn't help my motivation to work out. Excuses, I know, but I gotta get some motivation again to eat less, exercise more and work my way back at 60 kg or less. It doesn't sound much but I'm a pretty small guy and I really notice the difference in weight when playing sports / feeling generally fitter.

RDreamer

Mind if i asked how.

Currently at 204 (6 1'). I love running but my knees :-(, they wont let me. Need a way to cut down and good routine for a poor folk that can't afford a gym membership. Any help would be appreciated.

I dunno how he did it, but I dropped a ton of weight using a stationary exercise bike. I do my work in the morning on it, but on days I don't work I'll watch netflix or even play a video game.

I like the exercise bike because it offers an easy platform to keep yourself in check. I keep it on the same resistance and keep track of miles and time spent on it. It's an easy way to challenge yourself and make sure you're not lazy each week. Personally my rules at the beginning were that I could not skip more than 2 days in a week, and I'd only skip 2 if there was something I couldn't help at all going on like going out of town for work. Otherwise it's 1. And I needed to stay above 10 miles per day average with the 0 days factored in, too.

If you're poor, I'd recommend scouring craigslist or family members. Chances are you know about 3 or 4 people with a bike that have almost never used it. That or you can get one about to be thrown to the curb for almost nothing.

Running would work, too, but that's probably too hard on your knees as you said.

DopeToast

Banned
Mind if i asked how.

Even after my now 52.6 lbs. of weight loss, I'm still only at 211.8 (5'10"), so you're already in a better place than me simply weight-wise. Honestly, the diet I've stuck to is 90% of what has allowed me to succeed so far. The exercise portion, which has been barbell strength training three times per week and steady-state cardio (30 mins. on a treadmill) two times per week, while still important, doesn't have nearly the effect on my weight that my diet does. It makes me feel good, and I've hopefully maintained some strength/muscle while losing fat, but I was working out nearly identically before I started cutting calories and kept the same weight or gained.

So diet is key, and if you cannot afford a gym and can't run, perhaps the suggestion of stationery bike isn't a bad one, and then maybe look into some at-home bodyweight strength training exercises, or some dumbell ones if you can get those.

Emwitus

Thanks for the tips guys. As both of you have mentioned, I do need to work on my diet. They need to classify sugar addiction as a medical condition! Seriously, i can't tell you how many times i promised myself i would not eat any form of sugary products just to find myself munching on one a few hours later.

Matush

So I've been lurking around this and Fitness thread for almost a year, I guess it's time to show my results after 1 year of your tips and inspiration:

180cm (5.9ft), went from 131kg (288lbs) to 84kg (185lbs)

Still have some work to do, but currently I am happier than ever with myself.

So I've lost over 100 pounds but I don't feel different. Only really dropped down one shirt size and one pants size. Everyone else's drops seem a hell of a lot more dramatic than mine. Not quite sure what to make of it, honestly.

So I've lost over 100 pounds but I don't feel different. Only really dropped down one shirt size and one pants size. Everyone else's drops seem a hell of a lot more dramatic than mine. Not quite sure what to make of it, honestly.

Having dropped 75 pounds through pure dieting I can tell you I had similar feelings. Now that I've started swimming and building up the endurance back when I was in high school and more athletic I'm feeling ablot better about myself.

Fixed1979

Needed to come in here for some motivation and I've found some, these transformations are incredible!

I started at 241.2 and got down to 165.6 then life happened and I bailed on it, for like 2 years, I stepped on the scale Tuesday and was at 206.4. So the journey begins again. First goal is under 180 and I'm shooting for the end of summer to make it happen.

Top Bottom