• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Witcher 3 Patch on the way with huge list of changes and graphics improvements

psychotron

It has its problems and I hope it's patched quick, but I'm still starting to love it. Just make the text bigger, fix the PS4 stuttering and make Geralt just a bit more responsive. Those will make the game perfect for me. I forgot how much I loved Witcher 2.

I am amazed that I have yet to run into any crashes compared to the complaints here.

Running it on an AMD 4100 with an R7 260X on high settings and it looks great even at just 720p. My monitor at the moment is a 24" LG HDTV and is only 720p, but I hope to get a nice monitor later this year.

Dr.Acula

Banned
There's a saying in game development that goes like this: "the last 20% of the game are harder to make than the other 80%".

"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time."

—Tom Cargill, Bell Labs

MetalDeer

I kinda hope they add a setting to turn most of the grass just.. off. Because honestly, it doesn't look that great on lower settings anyways, and I'm sure that's a pretty big hit to performance, what with all the constantly moving foliage.

Skelter

Banned
Hey... btw so much for that next-gen wolf. Whatever happened to that? Just a PC thing?

Next-gen hair is there and was always exclusive to PC.

CD4D5D956472DE365782564BAD2E38422D7ABEAE

That's a massive patch for a game that was delayed. Imo I wouldn't be surprised if new issues pop up when you do this much in one go, I mean 600+ fixes and graphics/performance changes?!

rogue74

Don't use the in game FPS limiter - use RSS instead. That solved all my freezing problems.

I tried every other support culprit (Borderless Mode, Vsync) and the only fix was the above.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is RSS? The only other way I know to do this is with half rate adaptive vsync in the Nvidia control panel,

I got this game free with my new 960 but am finishing up a replay of Witcher 2 first. I'm glad I'm waiting. In the meantime I keep scouring these threads so that I'm prepared to tweak away when the time comes.

frontovik

Banned
It's running quite well on my PC so far, and haven't encountered any glitches or graphical issues (...yet) It's certainly way better than the Witcher 2 launch - with the DLC debacle and launcher not working.

So.. kudos to CDPR for taking the time to polish it, and more patches are always welcome. I wonder if they'll follow the tradition of releasing an Enhanced Edition down the line, I'd be interested in more quests.

TheRed

Has no one else ran into this problem I'm having it happens almost every time I play now. Geralt starts moving super fast even in cutscenes his lipsynch is done before he's finished saying the line.
Makes combat a breeze and I'm on Death March! not really the experience I want. Only way to get it to go away is reloading.
Have a couple videos of it. I'm on PC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-KvkyeF3Yhttp://

Hope there's a HUD off key toggle. I like to take in the world and have a wander. Manually turning off all those HUD pieces is a chore. I appreciate the many options of course,

Even AC Unity allowed HUD off with a key press.

CHC

My biggest complaint is the underwater swimming controls. Eck. Hopefully that get tweaked.

They're actually fine if you don't want to "sprint" swim, but as soon as you try to do it feels terrible. Just pressing forward and then steering with the camera is fine on its own.

Corpekata

Banned
Has no one else ran into this problem I'm having it happens almost every time I play now. Geralt starts moving super fast even in cutscenes his lipsynch is done before he's finished saying the line.
Makes combat a breeze and I'm on Death March! not really the experience I want. Only way to get it to go away is reloading.
Have a couple videos of it. I'm on PC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-KvkyeF3Yhttp://

Geralt's been training under Sonic the Hedgehog I see.

AU Tiger

All I really want is the volumetric light added back and tesselation. The flat brick walls and ground textures are kiling me.

All I know is that my PS4 copy crashed during the card game tutorial. After hearing other reports of crashing, I'm not playing again for a while. Excited to play, but wasting time is not my idea of fun, at all.

Hope they lock the framerate on the xbox one and fix the frame pacing. My only other issue is the text size but I guess cdpr have more important things to fix first.

Decision. Do I wait a few days to play again since I'm only an hour or two in?
If you are encountering glitches now then yeah, if not just play until you encounter a problem. None of the bugs or issues I'm having with the game are significant enough for me to actually stop playing.

CHC

Please excuse my ignorance but what is RSS? The only other way I know to do this is with half rate adaptive vsync in the Nvidia control panel,

I got this game free with my new 960 but am finishing up a replay of Witcher 2 first. I'm glad I'm waiting. In the meantime I keep scouring these threads so that I'm prepared to tweak away when the time comes.

RSS is Rivatuner Statistics Server - a program for monitoring and limiting FPS. Honestly though don't bother using 3rd party limiters unless you're having problems with the in-game one, usually the simplest solution is best.

That said the nVidia half refresh rate option is really shitty and unreliable so if in game limit is not working use Rivatuner instead.

Well, I'm satisfied with the developers explanation. It is a non-issue to me at this point. In fact, I admire their directness when speaking about graphics.

On a side note, I hope they make the font bigger and tweak the UI a bit to accept that change.

It's great that they went on to admit the changes, even if it wasn't an outright admission that the trailer versions were clearly superior and they probably never could replicate it in the final build.

I do kinda feel bad that the otherwise fantastic game started off on such a sour note because of the misrepresentative early trailers, but I guess that's a mistake they ought to learn from. CDPR are clearly putting a lot of effort to make the game as good as it can be, and are offering a lot of extra free content and updates which hardly any other dev would even consider. It would be really cool if they did make a DX12 definitive edition at some point. As it stands the game needs better performance more than it needs new fancy effects. Let's hope the patches and new drivers will help with that.

Debating putting the game until the patch drops. I am enjoying the game (only 2 hours in) but I don't mind waiting for a better experience. Wait is this patch only PC or consoles also?

RSS is Rivatuner Statistics Server - a program for monitoring and limiting FPS. Honestly though don't bother using 3rd party limiters unless you're having problems with the in-game one, usually the simplest solution is best.

That said the nVidia half refresh rate option is really shitty and unreliable so if in game limit is not working use Rivatuner instead.

I know that all too well. I used the Half Refresh option when playing through The Witcher 2 (all settings maxed aside from Uber Sampling) because I'd get in the 40's and 50's for frame rate. Locking it at 30fps was good, but it would frequently jump between 31fps - 33fps for a split second creating judder. That was mostly when moving about in Chapter 2.

Sorry didn't have time to read much of the article, this patch is only for PC?

Its going through certification which means its hitting all platforms. Obviously not each platform may have the exact same features for the patch but consoles and PC are both getting it in one way or another

longdi

Banned
1. Why can't this be a day 1 or day now patch, at least for the graphics options for the PC version. Now I can't have my binge weekend gaming.

2. Wall of text for essentially, we faked the first trailer and we are admitting after our game is for sales. Just like what our insider let on last year, CDPR is getting away because of their good rep. But they seem to becoming more like the typical big soulless corporate developer. Will be more cautious with Cyberpunk hype...

Gaz_RB

All I want is better performance when looking at houses. Right now, houses are the bane of my GPU. As soon as I run towards a village my GPU is thinking 'oh fuck I hope he's not going to that village'.
lol my GPU is familiar with the feeling.

skybald

Since Bloodborne, I won't buy a game before it gets a few patches in and settles into a mature state. I understand development is grueling, so I will just wait until they get a chance to work on decent optimizations.

I won't buy games day One, but really that has more to do with my financial situation. However, I will get a cheaper version at a better price.

Mastperf

This sounds more like they didn't anticipate the new consoles being a half step and expected the typical generational leap.

These things happen. When MGS4 was first shown, well before the PS3 was a solid machine with settled specs, kojima and co. showed a game that ended up being much more impressive than what came out. Now mind you, much like tw3 mgs4 was still a hell of a looker when it came out.

But I digress. CDPR had my money a year ago on the blind faith that they would put out a game worth getting and a game they were thoroughly going to support and it's good to see that they are who I thought they were.
It didn't sound anything at all like that. He's referring to the mentality that some have that the Witcher 3 should have been a PC exclusive or that they should have done the same as they did with The Witcher 2 on the 360. They simply said they couldn't afford to make the game without including consoles day 1.

If CDPR releases a DX12/Vulkan update later this year or next year(maybe a TW3: Enhanced Edition) then I'll be immensely happy.

orochi91

~600 changes!!!!???

That patch note is going to be so damn long D:

Buying Day 1, or even during release week, is so pointless these days.

Fbh

Well it's nice that they will at least do something to fix the issue. Though I doubt that even with all the options it will looks like the 2013 version, that's just not the game they ended up making.
Still, while CDPR is a great dev, all I see are lame excuses to hide the fact that just like the rest of the industry they have fallen into the pre order mentality. "Let's advertise unrealistic BS to get more pre orders".

For an industry that likes to talk about how big it has grown and that keeps pushing to be taken more seriously. It's a shame to see we are still using Mcdonalds tier advertising:
e6c153975ceba48f_thumb_temp_front_page_image_file13465121392072449.jpg.xxxlarge.jpg

Top Bottom