• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox will be '5 times more powerful' than PS4 Neo (Rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator86

justin-timberlake.gif

Thread could have been just the OP and this. Come on...

Jimrpg

A PS4 Neo is approx a R280x (GTX960) type performance, so for it to be five times would probably be a GTX 1080 or a GTX 970 SLI. Console would probably be around $699/799... expensive but so was the Xbox One at $499 for what turned out to be an underwhelming console.

Arkeband

Banned
A PS4 Neo is approx a R280x (GTX960) type performance, so for it to be five times would probably be a GTX 1080 or a GTX 970 SLI. Console would probably be around $699/799... expensive but so was the Xbox One at $499 for what turned out to be an underwhelming console.

...according to what benchmarks?

Koozek

I need to know how much better in ">". Where would it fit in here?

amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >>>PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U

Dis gun b good dot gif.

Tales from my ass level stuff right here. I can see it being as powerful or slighly more powerful. But 5x the processing power is just a whole new level of silly.

Maxim726X

How many GameCubes is this taped together?

That's the only metric I care about*

*Unless there are more DBZ power level references.

Of course not.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. BECAUSE ITS TEN TIMES AS POWERFUL!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, I'm really enjoying this back and forth bullshit from the console space. Reminds me of the glorious days of "The Jaguar is better than Sega and Nintendo because its the only 32 bit machine!"

kiguel182

I doubt it.

But if it is then it's the opposite of where I think this should be going. Parity between consoles is the ideal thing here. For both developers and consumers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm pretty sure this was already discussed in another thread.

As said there, the rumour isn't even internally consistent. By the most common metric of GPU power, 5x PSNeo = 20+Tflops - while the report simultaneously claims a 10Tflop part (~2.5x Neo). So those two parts of the rumour don't really gel together.

A 10Tflop part wouldn't be impossible if they're targeting a later timeframe, but it probably wouldn't be cheap. But this 'rumour' doesn't seem like a very good source for the idea...

The alleged "insider" who postes this stuff is well known in Italy for fabricating "leaks" from previous rumors and adding theme some completely made up stuff. The guy's completely nuts.

This rumor got some traction on italian sites, who didn't even question the source credibility. So sad.

eso76

Which means like 10 times more powerful than the regular Xbox One :p
Basically in the same ballpark as Xbox 360 to Xbox One ,or Ps3 to Ps4.

I don't know, maybe it's a 899+$ medium range steambox-like machine, which i believe is xbox future anyway.

OG PS4 1.84TF.

PS Neo ~4 TF.

Xbox "Next" 10 TF.

4 * 5 =/= 10.

Also lol.

Maybe they were thinking 5x the OG PS4. That would fall in the realm of possible, but extremely, extremely unlikely, simply because they'd priced themselves out of the market.

But at least I think there are parts you could put in a "console sized" box (I'm thinking along the lines of OG Xbox) that would end up producing 10 TF at a certain (high) price. But why would they want to do that?

Crayolan

The level of frustration of this post it's really palpable. I mean for what reason exactly? To see the sony pony fans drops tears? Though until 2018 it's impossible to AMD build such performance on console.

Did I come across as angry? I just find it amusing. I don't really care what Microsoft does with the XB1, I don't have one and have no intention of buying one. Don't have a PS4 either.

Meltdowns are sure funny though. Plus I'd like to see how Sony responds.

LAA

Sounds false to me.
Think it would be a very bad move anyway. I mean Neo is still going to allow the OG PS4 to continue, but this move would definitely outdate the X1 and possibly the PS4/Neo.
Out dating PS4 will only happen if mass amounts of people actually buy it though and that's unlikely. Devs won't be making games to push the new Xbox at the cost of having to make essentially a totally different version for PS4/Neo, the new Xbox would just get an up res, possibly smoother and slightly better visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom