• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Meier

Wife and I are visiting this summer. We are looking at staying in the Hilton Garden Inn in Chelsea or the Yotel in Hell's Kitchen. Does anyone in this thread have experience with the Yotel? We'll be staying 10 nights. Is it too small? Looks like it'd be more fun. Both are 4.5 on Tripadvisor and would cost around $2,000.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm taking a foreigner out to NY and wanna show him the good stuff in NYC. He specifically want to go to a jazz club/bar and a good restaurant. I don't know any jazz clubs/bars though. Thus, can anyone recommend some good jazz clubs/bars?

Jhoan

Sorry for the bump, but I'm taking a foreigner out to NY and wanna show him the good stuff in NYC. He specifically want to go to a jazz club/bar and a good restaurant. I don't know any jazz clubs/bars though. Thus, can anyone recommend some good jazz clubs/bars?

I personally have absolutely no idea but I found this article with 7 of the best jazz clubs in the city:

http://gothamist.com/2013/09/11/the_7_best_jazz_clubs_in_nyc.php

I would also recommend Fat Cat on Christopher St. but that's not really a bar per say but more of a hangout spot. It does have a live jazz band that performs in the background.

I personally have absolutely no idea but I found this article with 7 of the best jazz clubs in the city:

http://gothamist.com/2013/09/11/the_7_best_jazz_clubs_in_nyc.php

I would also recommend Fat Cat on Christopher St. but that's not really a bar per say but more of a hangout spot. It does have a live jazz band that performs in the background.
Thank you for the link and the recommendation, going to look into them. Hopefully the one I choose he will like it.

bob page

I was at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola a few months back and it was amazing. I went for a prime show so it was pretty expensive but I hear it can get pretty cheap if you go for late night.

SKINNER!

Banned
Hey NYC GAF,

Not long until I come to your city for a few days of sightseeing and good times :)

Quick question, any good retro video game stores in the city I should be aware of? I'm looking for a particular boxed SNES game and wouldn't mind picking it up if I find it.

tenren

Hey NYC-GAF! I recently accepted a job in NYC so I'll be moving in a month or two (from Toronto). Can anyone give me some advice on the best/cheapest way to find a a studio or 1 bedroom apartment? Also I read that there's a 15% broker fee which i'm hoping to avoid if possible...

Jhoan

Hey NYC GAF,

Not long until I come to your city for a few days of sightseeing and good times :)

Quick question, any good retro video game stores in the city I should be aware of? I'm looking for a particular boxed SNES game and wouldn't mind picking it up if I find it.

Video Games New York, K&L Trading (in Chinatown), and a video game store inside a mini shopping complex on Mott street (also in Chinatown) who's name escapes me are safe bets but they're pricey as you'll come to expect.
Hey NYC-GAF! I recently accepted a job in NYC so I'll be moving in a month or two (from Toronto). Can anyone give me some advice on the best/cheapest way to find a a studio or 1 bedroom apartment? Also I read that there's a 15% broker fee which i'm hoping to avoid if possible...
Cool, hope to see you at a meet up in the future. To answer your question you can't go wrong with looking on craigslist but prices will tend to be in the $2,000+ range for a studio/1 bedroom apartment in neighborhoods such as Long Island City (Queens). My advice would be to stay away from Manhattan unless you move to Northern Manhattan where prices are cheaper. Here's an example of a cheap apartment in the Inwood section of Manhattan. For other apartments see the link below:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/i/apartments

Also I'm sure bob page has plenty of advice on apartment hunting that's beyond my limited knowledge.

tenren

Cool, hope to see you at a meet up in the future. To answer your question you can't go wrong with looking on craigslist but prices will tend to be in the $2,000+ range for a studio/1 bedroom apartment in neighborhoods such as Long Island City (Queens). My advice would be to stay away from Manhattan unless you move to Northern Manhattan where prices are cheaper. Here's an example of a cheap apartment in the Inwood section of Manhattan. For other apartments see the link below:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/i/apartments

Also I'm sure bob page has plenty of advice on apartment hunting that's beyond my limited knowledge.

Thanks Jipan, just wondering but what areas should I be avoiding in Manhattan when I'm looking for a place...?

Jhoan

When is the next Meetup for NYC?

I anxiously can't wait to help a fellow GAFfer not get lost in NY.
It'll be another month or two before I organize the first one for this year unfortunately. My finances aren't in a good position to be able to go out due to art classes at the moment. I'll be organizing one when the NeoGAF notebook reaches NYC. You're welcome to organize one but I more than likely will sit it out or be extremely frugal.

However, at least 1/4 of NYC GAF members will be at PAX East next weekend so I'll be hanging out with a bunch of them then as well as a bunch of GAF members from different countries/states.

Edit: @ tenren, basically affluent areas such as SoHo, Tribecca, Chelsea, etc. East Harlem is popular among the young professional crowd as well as Hamilton Heights further up north and Washington Heights/Inwood where rent is more affordable but traditionally dominated by working class Hispanic families.

It'll be another month or two before I organize the first one for this year unfortunately. My finances aren't in a good position to be able to go out due to art classes at the moment. I'll be organizing one when the NeoGAF notebook reaches NYC. You're welcome to organize one but I more than likely will sit it out or be extremely frugal.

However, at least 1/4 of NYC GAF members will be at PAX East next weekend so I'll be hanging out with a bunch of them then as well as a bunch of GAF members from different countries/states.

Edit: @ tenren, basically affluent areas such as SoHo, Tribecca, Chelsea, etc. East Harlem is popular among the young professional crowd as well as Hamilton Heights further up north and Washington Heights/Inwood where rent is more affordable but traditionally dominated by working class Hispanic families.

Good to know. I'm not attending Pax East I have no discretionary income to pay for the trip =/

Ill see if I can't scrounge together a Meetup that would be beneficial to the thread.

How many NYC GAFfers are out there? I didn't think NY was represented highly on the forum?

Jhoan

Good to know. I'm not attending Pax East I have no discretionary income to pay for the trip =/

Ill see if I can't scrounge together a Meetup that would be beneficial to the thread.

How many NYC GAFfers are out there? I didn't think NY was represented highly on the forum?
You don't have to if you don't want to. Picking a place and organizing is a bit of a pain in the ass but I'm used to it. I usually set them in Manhattan for the convenience of all you outer borough folks

Oh there's plenty of us out there man; you simply wouldn't figure since I always make the meet up threads on the Off-Topic side. We're somewhat famous on GAF. I know of at least 80 some odd members off the top of my head. Hiding behind names you wouldn't figure but NYC news threads attract NYC GAF members like moths to a flame. Fun fact: GAF member Pau goes to my college and is a member of the comic book publication that I'm involved with.

I've met a ton of them throughout the years to the point where it feels like I'm catching up with the regulars and welcoming newcomers into the shenanigans. A good starting point to comb through our antics is none other than the legendary EviLore meet up thread which was archived.

EDIT: The 18th? Lol. I'm gonna be broke from PAX East and probably will be at school around 4PM getting work done, but I wouldn't mind drinking at least one Whiskey Sour. For something all of a sudden, I would not advise making a thread for it and stick to this thread for logistics. Pick the place and time and I might show up.

You don't have to if you don't want to. Picking a place and organizing is a bit of a pain in the ass but I'm used to it. I usually set them in Manhattan for the convenience of all you outer borough folks

Oh there's plenty of us out there man; you simply wouldn't figure since I always make the meet up threads on the Off-Topic side. We're somewhat famous on GAF. I know of at least 80 some odd members off the top of my head. Hiding behind names you wouldn't figure but NYC news threads attract NYC GAF members like moths to a flame. Fun fact: GAF member Pau goes to my college and is a member of the comic book publication that I'm involved with.

I've met a ton of them throughout the years to the point where it feels like I'm catching up with the regulars and welcoming newcomers into the shenanigans. A good starting point to comb through our antics is none other than the legendary EviLore meet up thread which was archived.

EDIT: The 18th? Lol. I'm gonna be broke from PAX East and probably will be at school around 4PM getting work done, but I wouldn't mind drinking at least one Whiskey Sour. For something all of a sudden, I would not advise making a thread for it and stick to this thread for logistics. Pick the place and time and I might show up.

Mr. Malka at a NYC GAF Meetup? DAMMNNN SON!

Thanks for letting me know how difficult it is to get down planning. I tried to do this with a Meetup group I founded, but it's not easy business. Finding a good place to meet and a place that won't require a deposit is not easy to do.

I'm glad to hear NY and the boroughs are reppin' NYC up at least. I'm a Queens resident with Brooklyn roots.

Is the 18th officially a meet? Even if we just do free events and abuse free booze at say an art gallery opening, it would be nice to meet the collective NYC GAF and make more friends and acquaintances in the tri-state area. I'll show up, maybe in hand with a Wii and Smash with GC controllers if we can do some friendlies and drink a bunch at a place with a party room and a tv. If we can't do Smash, Ill show up anyways and whine about not playing smash.

tenren

Preparing for my NYC move and looking at my options for Internet service. Was doing a little research and it seems like Verizon FiOS internet was really good. Can anyone confirm or recommend me a good internet provider?? Also can you haggle with them over the phone by telling them about competitor prices?

AcridMeat

Banned
Almost in the city, will be here for a week. Hopefully we can get something together. Met a handful of NYC gaf at pax and it'd be cool to get a meet going there!

Jhoan

Almost in the city, will be here for a week. Hopefully we can get something together. Met a handful of NYC gaf at pax and it'd be cool to get a meet going there!

I'm on Spring Break for 2 weeks, so if you want something to happen, it can be arranged. I just need to contact a bunch of GAF members I haven't spoken to in a while; namely number47 among them.

Jhoan

I smashed my left index toe coming out the shower the other day so I've been nursing it back to health. It still hurts and it's somewhat swollen so I'll be walking with a limp. I hope it'll be better by tomorrow.

That being said, I want you guys to meet me at Valhalla (54th and 9th) around say 8PM tomorrow. This is a pop up GAF meet up. I'll leave it up to AcridMeat to decide whether or not to make a thread on the spot tomorrow. Have contacted some folks but still need to contact a couple of others today e.g. Mully.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm going to be out already tomorrow, I'll hit you up Jipan if I'm able to come meet with you guys. My plans aren't completely set in stone yet.

Went out with AcridMeat and a Glasgow GAFer (I forget his user name) Tuesday night. We had a blast. Ended up at a Scottish bar. I was definitely feeling rough Wednesday morning.

friday

Can you guys give me some tips on my apartment search?

I currently live in Sunset Park. I dig the neighborhood but with another bump in rent coming I don't think my current place is worth what they are asking. What have you guys found the be the most reliable way to find places? I feel like CL and padmapper are just overrun with scams and bait and switches. I think I would just like to move a little bit north but stay on the R/N/D line.

Budget wise, I want to stay under 1500/month. 1 BR needed.

bob page

^CL and Padmapper were best for me. Just make sure you allocate a ton of time to going on viewings.

If you guys end up going to Valhalla tomorrow, be sure to post an update. Might join up around 9 or so depending on if I'm still in Manhattan.

Jhoan

My toe's feeling a bit better but kinda stiff; can wiggle it. Dunno how I'll manage walking for several blocks as the top still hurts but as long as nobody steps on it, it'll be fine. Gotta take more painkillers. Will keep you guys posted.

Contacted number47 and said he *might* go. Also contacted a certain crazy Asian dude who was banned and he's definitely showing up. GK86 is a no go since he has plans already. I'll hit up Wizard and DevilTrigger now before calling it a party.

SKINNER!

Banned
Chillin' in JFK at the moment. Thank you NYC GAF for all the fun times this week. I had such an incredible time exploring your vibrant city and getting to know you all. Perfect remedy to getting over the post PAX blues. Definitely coming back at some point :) Have fun tonight!

nitewulf

Smalls is very good. very good.

Mully

This woman keeps sighing and saying "oh god," on the train I'm on. I'm scared to turn around to look. I'm afraid she'll flip the fuck out if I do.

Be at Valhalla in 30-45.

Jhoan

And just like that AcridMeat was banned. If you're out there reading this, it was nice to finally speak to you and hear your travel/GAF meet up stories. Take care of yourself man and enjoy the rest of your stay in NYC.

Mully, get home safe and thanks for the beer. I hope to see you at next month's meet up.

meow

Hi NYC gaf :)

I'm going to be working in the city for about 2 months this summer. I've been looking for sublets and got the bright idea, why not ask gaf? So...I'll be in the Financial District, looks like pretty close to the Brooklyn Bridge, from about mid-May to end of July. If anyone here is subletting or knows someone subletting somewhere reasonable to get to my work place and wants to help a girl out, please PM me or respond or something!

General tips are appreciated, too.

smuf

We'll be visiting NY in June from Europe, really looking forward to it. This thread has been very inspirational.

I was wondering if it's possible to get a temporary SIM card during our stay so we can make use of 3G/LTE? The roaming costs are outrageous so an alternative would be really nice.

Xeno_V

We'll be visiting NY in June from Europe, really looking forward to it. This thread has been very inspirational.

I was wondering if it's possible to get a temporary SIM card during our stay so we can make use of 3G/LTE? The roaming costs are outrageous so an alternative would be really nice.

I also want to ask the same as I will be visiting in 2 weeks from now. I found the following link if it helps:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414494,00.asp

From what I saw in the article the best choice for me would be T-Mobile's 5gb of data + 100' of talking time for $30. I don't care about 4g (european smartphone, different bands etc), but as long as 3g works decently then I don't mind. If anyone else knows a better (or cheaper) option for a prepaid sim (at least 500mb of data and 1 hour of talking time) then let me know.

Jhoan

I kept making promises of a May meet up but honestly, I don't think it's going to happen simply by virtue of wanting to focus on school and wanting to be frugal. If anything I might do a private meet up later this month with a few folks but we'll see.

I would totally love to do a public meet up that coincides with my birthday next month (the 19th but weekend celebrations would be fun) since hopefully my finances will be in better shape. Was thinking Korean BBQ and karaoke or something along those lines since I think meet ups are an experience. I don't know.

I will be in New York on 5/21/14! Excited to see what its all about.

If you want to know touristy things to do or other fun things to go/see, shoot a PM.

My birthday is this week and I'm out of ideas on what to do for a solo bday.

What are some good ideas for solo NYC?

Mdeezy

So I leave for NY early Wednesday morning and I was wondering GAF....If you had to eat at one pizza place in NY, where would you go? Im having a hard time deciding.

Jhoan

So I leave for NY early Wednesday morning and I was wondering GAF....If you had to eat at one pizza place in NY, where would you go? Im having a hard time deciding.

I've never really had gourmet/specialty pizza from any of the famous stores but if you had to pick one, I suppose you can't go wrong with Grimaldi's. My semi-serious answer would've been 2 Bros for good cheap pizza.

I've never really had gourmet/specialty pizza from any of the famous stores but if you had to pick one, I suppose you can't go wrong with Grimaldi's. My semi-serious answer would've been 2 Bros for good cheap pizza.

Can't beat the dollar slice, but I'd hardly call it good.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Am I the only one who is unimpressed with DiFara's? The pizza is good, but not anywhere I would take tourists to. Plus the Midwood area is shit and the wait is ridiculous.

From my experience, the quality can vary. I wasn't too impressed with it my first time, but when you get a good pie... you won't be able to stop thinking about it for days.

Let's enjoy the hot summer weather before the clouds decide to go ape shit and create another flooding rain storm.

Make sure to BBQ and stuff.

Jhoan

Been meaning to post this but the fabled Barcade in Chelsea is almost finished and should be opening up next month: http://gothamist.com/2014/05/21/photos_the_new_barcade_in_chelsea.php

I'm so hyped for it. Pub food? 6 player X-Men arcade? Better, more diverse arcade selection than the Brooklyn location? Art galleries nearby to crawl through? Not having to leave Manhattan? I can't wait!

Also I'm kicking around the idea of doing a GAF meet up for late next month. I have started looking into possible places to set them at but nothing set in stone so far. Stay tuned for details. ;)

There's so many events in June; my birthday, the start of Central Park Summer Stage, movies at Bryant Park/around the city, the Mermaid Parade, Special Event at the Javits Center; the list goes on and on.

Been meaning to post this but the fabled Barcade in Chelsea is almost finished and should be opening up next month: http://gothamist.com/2014/05/21/photos_the_new_barcade_in_chelsea.php

I'm so hyped for it. Pub food? 6 player X-Men arcade? Better, more diverse arcade selection than the Brooklyn location? Art galleries nearby to crawl through? Not having to leave Manhattan? I can't wait!

Also I'm kicking around the idea of doing a GAF meet up for late next month. I have started looking into possible places to set them at but nothing set in stone so far. Stay tuned for details. ;)

There's so many events in June; my birthday, the start of Central Park Summer Stage, movies at Bryant Park/around the city, the Mermaid Parade, Special Event at the Javits Center; the list goes on and on.

A Barcade in Chelsea? I like this idea a lot.

Let anyone know if you need help with stuffs.

Top Bottom