• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Oh that sucks.

So you got to wait on lines in hope that people don't show up

Wonder what happens if people show up late.

After purchasing the ticket, you're told that you have to show up at least 15 minutes before the show starts. Here's the exact quote:

Please Note: Your seat(s) are guaranteed until 15 minutes prior to Show Start. At that time, all guests including wait list guests will be seated based on priority in the line.

Kei-

I was able to get a waiting list spot...after I didn't pull the trigger on 2 tickets when I had the chance lol. I didn't wanna take up tickets if I wasn't sure, but I could have jut not showed up if I ended up not going. Damn...

Anyway, my biggest fear now is showing up and not being able to get in, and then not even having a reliable place to watch the conference.

Penguin

I was able to get a waiting list spot...after I didn't pull the trigger on 2 tickets when I had the chance lol. I didn't wanna take up tickets if I wasn't sure, but I could have jut not showed up if I ended up not going. Damn...

Anyway, my biggest fear now is showing up and not being able to get in, and then not even having a reliable place to watch the conference.

Yeah
I got a ticket just in case

I mean what can it hurt going, you know?

Was in NYC last week and I already miss it. I was staying in an apartment not too far from Video Games New York. It's the perfect area for me. Now if I could only afford it.

Jhoan

Regarding the Sony event, I think I still plan on showing up for it ticket or no ticket. I think the chances of getting in are good provided those of us without a ticket queue up 1-2 hours in advance.

Also regarding bars that are showing E3, unfortunately there are none. It would've been pretty cool if there were a few but the reality is that it wouldn't draw much business for them.

In case anyone missed it, here's a good Kotaku article on J&L Game Trading closing and moving up to 38th and 6th:

http://kotaku.com/the-last-great-gaming-store-in-new-york-citys-chinatown-1582311427

That said, there are still mom and pop video game stores that are still in business in the city e.g. Astro Mart in my neighborhood but J&L was definitely one of the bigger names. Their imported games were on the pricey side. It's the end of an era in Manhattan's Chinatown. I wonder if the game store in the underground shopping center is still around.

Wow, J & L is closing?

I will travel to 38th and 6th to support them, but goddamn...I remember going there as a kid salivating over import DBZ games on PS1. End of an era. :(

Regarding the Sony event, I think I still plan on showing up for it ticket or no ticket. I think the chances of getting in are good provided those of us without a ticket queue up 1-2 hours in advance.

Also regarding bars that are showing E3, unfortunately there are none. It would've been pretty cool if there were a few but the reality is that it wouldn't draw much business for them.

In case anyone missed it, here's a good Kotaku article on J&L Game Trading closing and moving up to 38th and 6th:

http://kotaku.com/the-last-great-gaming-store-in-new-york-citys-chinatown-1582311427

That said, there are still mom and pop video game stores that are still in business in the city e.g. Astro Mart in my neighborhood but J&L was definitely one of the bigger names. Their imported games were on the pricey side. It's the end of an era in Manhattan's Chinatown. I wonder if the game store in the underground shopping center is still around.

I'd like to go, but waiting for an hour or 2 for an non-guaranteed ticket wouldn't be much fun. I'd still like to meet the NYC-GAF collective tho. Maybe it'll turn out like the 2012 meetup with a strip club. I've never been to a strip club embarrassingly.

Regarding the bars, this would've been an awesome business opportunity for Barcade to do like a Sony night, with reduced priced drinks for those who are on the waiting list and project the E3 event on like a brick wall. I dunno, I'm spit-balling here.

Kei-

I decided I will show up early and hope my wait list spot can get me in. If I'm there early enough, I can probably get an idea of whether or not I will be able to get in, and maybe get back in time to watch most of it if I can't get in.

If anyone has an extra ticket for someone who can't make it or anything, could you please consider me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

bob page

Anyone planning on moving this July? I'm looking for a roommate!
(copied from my reddit post)

What I'm looking for: my current Williamsburg lease is up July 1st so I'm considering moving into Manhattan or another apartment in Brooklyn. My budget is around $1,500 but I'm willing to go higher depending on how nice the place is. Looking for a roommate to go in with me on a new place. No smoking (420 friendly though) and must take reasonable care of nice things.

About me: 25 year old guy, former big 4 consultant who just switched over to a startup. I usually work 9-6ish on weekdays and hang around the city on the weekends or go to Boston (where my gf lives- she will be visiting NYC every couple weekends). I enjoy gaming, tech shit, and hanging around outside.

What I can bring: PS4, PS3, Wii U, 42" TV, 5.1 surround system, IKEA couch, 2 leather chairs, a few bookshelves, kitchen crap.

If you have anything in mind or are interested in looking with me, let me know!

Jhoan

Sucks to be you guys who work in the AM. Came out to go the gym and it stopped raining. Brought out an umbrella and a jacket to be safe.

You guys are New Yorkers and you don't keep a trenchcoat or an umbrella handy?

For shame.

042912-seinfeld07.jpg

robert-canady-new-york-red-umbrella.jpg

For shame.

I don't own a trench coat, but I should invest in one though. Umbrella It's usually nothing but drizzles and my house is a block away from the train station so i just casually walk through the rain. *Shrug*

smuf

Nintendo World is going to have playable Smash Bros Wii from the 11-15th.

I'm visiting NYC for the first time tomorrow till thursday. Was planning on visiting Nintendo World on Monday, so I might postpone that a couple of days now. Should I expect giant lines to play possible E3 demo's or should it be manageable?

Mine was in a box for a while. Got eaten by moths.

I'm visiting NYC for the first time tomorrow till thursday. Was planning on visiting Nintendo World on Monday, so I might postpone that a couple of days now. Should I expect giant lines to play possible E3 demo's or should it be manageable?

Nintendo World is in the middle of Rockefeller Center, it's usually pretty crowded at any given time. Especially now that it's tourist season, expect it to be busy.

Nintendo World is never manageable in the summer. Too many tourists and the stuff there is overpriced, but there's a cool section on the older consoles on the 2nd floor.

Jhoan

Since most people have lives, I imagine it'll be manageable for the most part depending on the time you go at. If you get there between 3-6PM expect to see high school aged kids hanging out in large groups. The store has a 2 hour loitering period before they'll kick people out so it's not that bad.

It's a great place to get a good amount of StreetPasses that you won't get anywhere else in the city when you have nothing better to do. Also shirts, bags, and plush toys if you're into that sort of thing. Other than that, it's a tourist trap.

I definitely agree with DrEvil that the games are overpriced as you can get them for much cheaper online e.g. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is $40 plus tax. I got it for $25 from Newegg this week with no tax and free shipping. The only other thing Nintendo World is good for is their events.

While you're in the area, I would definitely recommend you go pass by J&L Games on 38th and 6th for if nothing else than to look at their pricey imported games.

smuf

Since most people have lives, I imagine it'll be manageable for the most part depending on the time you go at. If you get there between 3-6PM expect to see high school aged kids hanging out in large groups. The store has a 2 hour loitering period before they'll kick people out so it's not that bad.

It's a great place to get a good amount of StreetPasses that you won't get anywhere else in the city when you have nothing better to do. Also shirts, bags, and plush toys if you're into that sort of thing. Other than that, it's a tourist trap.

I definitely agree with DrEvil that the games are overpriced as you can get them for much cheaper online e.g. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is $40 plus tax. I got it for $25 from Newegg this week with no tax and free shipping. The only other thing Nintendo World is good for is their events.

While you're in the area, I would definitely recommend you go pass by J&L Games on 38th and 6th for if nothing else than to look at their pricey imported games.

Thanks for the info! Didn't plan on buying any games since I'm travelling from Europe and Nintendo still enforces region locking on all their stuff. Not setting my expectations high, but since we'll be in the neighbourhood I might as well pay a visit.

Penguin

So what is the current working plan for those attending the Sony event?

Last year... think went to NWS during a random Wedn to do the e3 demos and there were no lines.
Actually spent like 30 mins or so and got to play every game. Even extra time on Kart 8

Kei-

woohooo my wait list ticket upgraded to a confirmed ticket. Praise the lawddddd

Yup, I got upgraded from Wait List to confirmed as well on Tuesday or Wednesday I think. I wonder how they managed it tho. Did they get an extra screen? Or did people that were confirmed already get follow-up emails asking them to RSVP/confirm if they would indeed be able to make it?

Can anyone who had tickets initially confirm if you get a follow-up asking you to RSVP?

Jhoan

All right guys what's the game plan for tomorrow? I'm getting inquiries the June Meet Up thread. Plan is to meet in the theatre lobby right whatever time you show up at right?

Jhoan

I'm busting your chops man. I keep picturing cops eating donuts for some odd reason although the cops in my neighborhood stop by the Chinese restaurants during the day and Dunkin' Donuts by night.

so all those people in the waitlist, is there a general meeting plan/arrangement ? I wouldn't go if i was all alone, but since i see some nyc gaffers with the same case as me, i might come.

Top Bottom