• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

bob page

So what is the current working plan for those attending the Sony event?

Last year... think went to NWS during a random Wedn to do the e3 demos and there were no lines.
Actually spent like 30 mins or so and got to play every game. Even extra time on Kart 8

I'm meeting up with a buddy of mine beforehand to grab a few drinks- anyone attending the Sony show is welcome to join us! I'll probably stop by the Union Square Trader Joe's to grab a couple single beers for the theater, as well.

Opt1kon_

So far my list of GAFfers going to the SONY E3 Union Sq. event:

Suzushiiro
Heckmanimation
valkillmore
Brawl96
rogue_Ledr
bob page
lightning2k3
TalentBurke
Requium
Metsallica
Milennia
OFF-kilter
KrM DeLorean
Wildarmsjecht
SweetJohnnyCage

I'm coming on the L from williamsburg

Im coming as well, count me in 1 train to 14th i'll be there

I'm meeting up with a buddy of mine beforehand to grab a few drinks- anyone attending the Sony show is welcome to join us! I'll probably stop by the Union Square Trader Joe's to grab a couple single beers for the theater, as well.

I might meet up with you. my fiance works in union sq. so we are getting dinner prior, but always a possibility...just let me know what bar and what you're wearing and if i stop by i stop by.

Jipan

Someone said ticket has a name on it so it won't work for everyone. If u gonna stand in the line, i can let u in. I am in the middle almost tho

Jhoan

Forget it. I'm gonna sit it out and not risk it. Gonna go buy some beer and chips, tweet like a mofo and watch from at home. Have fun guys! I hope to some of see you at the Barcade meet up on the 28th.

Ginger ninja, take the ticket man.

bob page

Forget it. I'm gonna sit it out and not risk it. Gonna go buy some beer and chips, tweet like a mofo and watch from at home. Have fun guys! I hope to some of see you at the Barcade meet up on the 28th.

Ginger ninja, take the ticket man.
If someone has a ticket for you then you'll get in no problem. Come on down!

Jhoan

Didn't see the rest of you guys there but it was fun nonetheless catching up with ginger ninja. I'll be giving away all the stuff I got seeing as I don't have a PS3/PS4. $5 credit/Destiny Alpha to my bro; Battlefield: Hardline Beta code/30 Day Sony Music trial on GAF.

Nyrad

I'm for the first time in NY (and USA for that matter) from June 30th till July 12th. Are there any video game related events in that timeframe? Or other cool non-videogame events that you guys could recommend me?

bowery

gaf im trying to find a place in brooklyn and am struggling hard. i work full time and want to live with 2-4 other roommates. anyone know of anybody / any place open for a lease?
or anyone looking for a roommate?

many thanks

Meier

Hi all, will be in NYC for 10 days starting on Wednesday morning. I see an older article on Trip Advisor that mentions a 10-ride pass for the MTA -- I don't want to get a second 7 ride pass if I can avoid it so I was curious about that option. Does anyone know if it still exists? I don't see it listed on the MTA site (just the 7 days and 30 day pass).

Thanks!

Shinriji

Hi NYGAF, did you guys already make a monthly meetup? I'm gonna be in NY from set 14 till 29. I'm already making plans with NY VitaGAF (just like last year), but with more people, the merrier.

Hi NYGAF, did you guys already make a monthly meetup? I'm gonna be in NY from set 14 till 29. I'm already making plans with NY VitaGAF (just like last year), but with more people, the merrier.

Hi. We did in July, however I was put in charge of the general meetup event for NYC GAF in another thread by Jipan.

I was planning on making an event for the middle of august, but we can also talk about planning around your trip and NYC VitaGAF(didnt know there was one)

Shoot a PM my way.

Jhoan

As DokEvil said, he's got the organizing duties for next month's meet up. I'll leave it up to him to decide but it sounds good either way to combine both groups since the bi-monthly meet up threads are always found in the Off-Topic side any way. I normally organize them but like to pass the torch every now and then to spice things up. We were looking at those dates you're going to be in the city as well (mid to late August) for the next meet up.

Shinriji

As DokEvil said, he's got the organizing duties for next month's meet up. I'll leave it up to him to decide but it sounds good either way to combine both groups since the bi-monthly meet up threads are always found in the Off-Topic side any way. I normally organize them but like to pass the torch every now and then to spice things up. We were looking at those dates you're going to be in the city as well (mid to late August) for the next meet up.

Thanks for the hospitality. But I'm going in september (15-29). I'm subscribing this thread to keep up to date with the dates and stuff.

Jhoan

Can we make the meet up late on a weekend so I can come too
I hung out with DokEvil and GK86 this past weekend so we can always arrange something via PM if anything.
Thanks for the hospitality. But I'm going in september (15-29). I'm subscribing this thread to keep up to date with the dates and stuff.
September? Damn, I'm gonna be busy with school and doing an internship by then.=/ I think I might have time to make it depending on the work load. I don't see a big meet up happening in September but if anything, you guys can post the details in this thread or PM it to me.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Hi all, will be in NYC for 10 days starting on Wednesday morning. I see an older article on Trip Advisor that mentions a 10-ride pass for the MTA -- I don't want to get a second 7 ride pass if I can avoid it so I was curious about that option. Does anyone know if it still exists? I don't see it listed on the MTA site (just the 7 days and 30 day pass).

Thanks!

Eh, you're here so you probably know what the deal is with those.

Anyhoo, drop by the Cotton Candy Machine in Williamsburg if you can. You can get more stuff to fill a flatfile. :p

Nesotenso

hey need some advice guys. My brother is starting a brand new job this August. He intends to look for an apartment after reaching there. He is going to be working in midtown manhattan and will probably look to commute everyday from either Brooklyn or Queens. But he needs to stay at a place temporarily for the first few days.

What are his best options? Airbnb? hostels?

Hi NYC-GAF

I will spend the weekend next week in NY with a cute girl I'm hoping to woo. I wanted to take her to some cool places beyond just the typical tourist destinations. So do you know any good restaurants (not ultra-expensive though) or cool live music clubs to visit? Or any other hidden pearls or fun events going on next weekend?

I've never been to NYC before.

Thanks!

Jhoan

Hi NYC-GAF

I will spend the weekend next week in NY with a cute girl I'm hoping to woo. I wanted to take her to some cool places beyond just the typical tourist destinations. So do you know any good restaurants (not ultra-expensive though) or cool live music clubs to visit? Or any other hidden pearls or fun events going on next weekend?

I've never been to NYC before.

Thanks!

First off, hi number47. I saw your post in the Dating-Age thread.:D

Number47 was right to bring you to me. Two words son: The Cloisters. Underrated as sin as a tourist spot, romantic as sin, and well worth the trip to my neighborhood. Admire the gorgeous views of the Hudson/Northern Manhattan after you come out and go to El Malecon afterwards on 175th and Broadway for some finger licking Dominican food and order a mofongo. I'm being biased of course since I'm Dominican and our cuisine is damn good. Timeoutnewyork.com is your best friend for weekend plans as well NerdYorkCity.com.

I think Roosevelt Island is also worth checking out---even though there's not much to see there---for if nothing else than to take the tram next to the 59th Street Bridge for nice views of the city and walk around the island (the island can be circumnavigated in about an hour). There is a light house with a nice in the northern side of the island but make sure you take food since the island doesn't really have much in the way of eateries or stores save for a few restaurants.

For live music it depends on what you're into and how much money you're willing to spend. However, I would recommend Fat Cat since all you pay is a $5 cover charge and get to play pool, ping pong, shuffle board, board games such as Scrabble for dirt cheap while a band plays a jamming jazz in the background. It's on Christopher Street right outside the 1 train station. Another place that I would recommend for live music if you're into Latin Music/Bogaloo, is a place called Camaradas in East Harlem since you can dance and bug out to a live band playing Salsa and Bogaloo music. That's all I got. I'll be lurking in the Dating-Age thread for the aftermath report.

First off, hi number47. I saw your post in the Dating-Age thread.:D

Number47 was right to bring you to me. Two words son: The Cloisters. Underrated as sin as a tourist spot, romantic as sin, and well worth the trip to my neighborhood. Admire the gorgeous views of the Hudson/Northern Manhattan after you come out and go to El Malecon afterwards on 175th and Broadway for some finger licking Dominican food and order a mofongo. I'm being biased of course since I'm Dominican and our cuisine is damn good. Timeoutnewyork.com is your best friend for weekend plans as well NerdYorkCity.com.

I think Roosevelt Island is also worth checking out---even though there's not much to see there---for if nothing else than to take the tram next to the 59th Street Bridge for nice views of the city and walk around the island (the island can be circumnavigated in about an hour). There is a light house with a nice in the northern side of the island but make sure you take food since the island doesn't really have much in the way of eateries or stores save for a few restaurants.

For live music it depends on what you're into and how much money you're willing to spend. However, I would recommend Fat Cat since all you pay is a $5 cover charge and get to play pool, ping pong, shuffle board, board games such as Scrabble for dirt cheap while a band plays a jamming jazz in the background. It's on Christopher Street right outside the 1 train station. Another place that I would recommend for live music if you're into Latin Music/Bogaloo, is a place called Camaradas in East Harlem since you can dance and bug out to a live band playing Salsa and Bogaloo music. That's all I got. I'll be lurking in the Dating-Age thread for the aftermath report.

Thanks for the reply! After number47's post I hoped to get a response to you, since you seem to be quite active in this thread. And I agree, it does seem like he was right to bring me to you :)

The Cloisters seems like a great destination. And probably underrated, as you said, because I hadn't heard about it before. I checked some pictures online and it does look really romantic.

Would you recommend Roosevelt Island or the Staten Island Ferry for nice views of the city-scape if you only could do one of them?

Fat Cat sounds really fun. I'm into jazz and it sounds like a fun place, in general. Also, it sounds a bit casual, which is good. It seems like many other jazz places in NYC are sit-down and have dinner kinds of places, where you may have to make reservations beforehand. Good location too, close to some other places I wanted to visit, so I will definitely try to go there. Camaradas, sounds cool too, but a bit more out of the way.

Thanks a lot for your reply! :)

Jhoan

Thanks for the reply! After number47's post I hoped to get a response to you, since you seem to be quite active in this thread. And I agree, it does seem like he was right to bring me to you. :)

The Cloisters seems like a great destination. And probably underrated, as you said, because I hadn't heard about it before. I checked some pictures online and it does look really romantic.

Would you recommend Roosevelt Island or the Staten Island Ferry for nice views of the city-scape if you only could do one of them?

Fat Cat sounds really fun. I'm into jazz and it sounds like a fun place, in general. Also, it sounds a bit casual, which is good. It seems like many other jazz places in NYC are sit-down and have dinner kinds of places, where you may have to make reservations beforehand. Good location too, close to some other places I wanted to visit, so I will definitely try to go there. Camaradas, sounds cool too, but a bit more out of the way.

Thanks a lot for your reply! :)
Since it closes at 5:15pm daily, The Cloisters works best as an early day activity. You got the (ideally) beautiful sunshine during the day to take advantage of doing stuff. It's about 20 minutes away via the A train from Times Square on 191st. The park is right outside the station. You can easily transfer to the 1 train on 59th street to go to South Ferry. Fun fact: Fort Tryon Park hosts a Medieval Festival every year where there's live jousting, tons of medieval themed costumes, clothes, accessories, and food in the beginning of October and The Cloisters is free on that day.

I would say to do the Staten Island ferry since it's your first visit to NYC so you can see and take pictures of/with the obligatory Statue of Liberty in the background. Roosevelt Island isn't really on the super must see places as a first-time thing. Definitely stick to Manhattan as your first time in the city and save the outer boroughs for another trip in the future. Central Park has a petting zoo on 66th and 5th near my college where you can feed and pet llamas, sheep, cows, and goats. There's so much culture brimming in Brooklyn and Queens. And of course, there's The Bronx Zoo.

I would also say that while I haven't been there before, to check out the Top of The Rock as opposed to the Empire State Building. It has really nice views of the city on top of it being the NBC News and having the severely overrated Nintendo World down the street. Not a lot of tourists know about/go to the Top of the Rock since the Empire State Building is a massive tourist trap. Plus tours should be pretty decently priced.

I think the High Line is also worth checking out since it's a really chill several block park suspended several feet up. I went there on a date in July for the first time and while the date itself was okay, the views were pretty awesome.

I saw this place on a show called $9.99 that they give on NYC-TV that's called the Church of Sweden. Apparently they make really good baked goods and Swedish coffee. I never noticed it myself until I saw that show. Definitely look up the show since it's all about doing things for $10 or less in the city.

I don't eat at restaurants all that much these days since it's pricey but Famous Ray's Pizza is worth checking out as is Katz's Deli for their famous pastrami sandwich. The Uncommons near the Washington Square Park area is also a nice place to go to if you want to play some board games. We've been to so many bars on GAF meet ups, I wouldn't know where to begin. Valhalla (54th and 9th) is at the very top of my favorite bars to go to on dates or host a GAF meet up. The noise level is a bit high though so be warned.

I can go on and on since I'm pretty damn passionate about the city; specifically about Manhattan and The Bronx to a lesser extent since my knowledge of Queens and Brooklyn is limited. I know a good deal about art galleries/museums. If you have any other questions, feel free to fire away.

On a similar note, I've been thinking about possibly starting a new NYC thread to reboot discussion ala other city threads that exist here in OT-Community. There's so many current events to talk about and I would love to have way more NYC GAF members chime into discussions. This thread is usually a dead horse until someone bumps it with either a question or an event.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm going to NY for a week starting next wednesday and it's pretty overwhelming! I'm listing up things I want to see and do and it looks like a week will just be enough to scratch the surface.

This thread is very useful for reference. I'm really looking for some interesting places to eat and the OP has a lot... Are there places I definitely need to check out as a first timer? Recommend me anything. I'm from Europe (Belgium) and we don't have a lot of burger places here, so I'm looking for the best burger money can buy. Same for pizza. The OP has only a few addresses for pizza, so that's manageable. Still if there are any food-musts for a first timer, please post. This is one area where I'm a bit over my head.
I did hear there's a place called Burger Joint in a Meridien hotel that's supposed to be very good.

fallengorn

I'm going to NY for a week starting next wednesday and it's pretty overwhelming! I'm listing up things I want to see and do and it looks like a week will just be enough to scratch the surface.

This thread is very useful for reference. I'm really looking for some interesting places to eat and the OP has a lot... Are there places I definitely need to check out as a first timer? Recommend me anything. I'm from Europe (Belgium) and we don't have a lot of burger places here, so I'm looking for the best burger money can buy. Same for pizza. The OP has only a few addresses for pizza, so that's manageable. Still if there are any food-musts for a first timer, please post. This is one area where I'm a bit over my head.
I did hear there's a place called Burger Joint in a Meridien hotel that's supposed to be very good.

Burgers:
The Burger Joint in the Park Meridien hotel has a good burger. I'd also recommend Shake Shack, the Black Label burger at Minetta Tavern, the Little Owl, Peter Luger's. Lamb burger at the Breslin is good.

Pizza:
There's a few spots in Manhattan that are decent, but if you want the best you'll need to head into Brooklyn. Di Fara's, L&B Spumoni (for their sicilian/squares), Roberta's, Grimaldi's (they have an outpost in NYC, but never been), Totonno's.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Shake shack I suppose but your coming all the way to NYC to get pizza and a burger?

My post implied that? Of course not, but it's easy to list up all the places you have to visit. For food it's a bit harder to narrow things down.

Burgers:
The Burger Joint in the Park Meridien hotel has a good burger. I'd also recommend Shake Shack, the Black Label burger at Minetta Tavern, the Little Owl, Peter Luger's. Lamb burger at the Breslin is good.

Pizza:
There's a few spots in Manhattan that are decent, but if you want the best you'll need to head into Brooklyn. Di Fara's, L&B Spumoni (for their sicilian/squares), Roberta's, Grimaldi's (they have an outpost in NYC, but never been), Totonno's.

Thanks for the recommandations, I've got a few of these saved up in google maps.

A friend says I have to get a NY City pass. I was planning on doing all those anyway. I save money and won't have to wait in line?

Jhoan

My post implied that? Of course not, but it's easy to list up all the places you have to visit. For food it's a bit harder to narrow things down.

Thanks for the recommandations, I've got a few of these saved up in google maps.

A friend says I have to get a NY City pass. I was planning on doing all those anyway. I save money and won't have to wait in line?
For an exotic burger I suppose you should look into going to Bare Burger and get the Ostrich burger and if you're looking for the best steak that money can buy, Peter Luger is the place to go to in Brooklyn. And the City Pass is exactly what it is says it is on the website; it allows you to go straight to the entrance of places. The museums that are listed don't really have much a line so you won't have to worry about that. As a native I never used a City Pass but I think you do end up saving money since the Guggenheim is a private museum as it's easily $20 for entrance as is a trip to Ellis Island. Enjoy your stay.

smuf

I visited last June - from Belgium too :) - and had a blast. I loved Juliana's Pizza which is in Brooklyn, really close to where you cross the Brooklyn bridge. Best pizza I've ever had.

fallengorn

I visited last June - from Belgium too :) - and had a blast. I loved Juliana's Pizza which is in Brooklyn, really close to where you cross the Brooklyn bridge. Best pizza I've ever had.
That's also a good choice, although I haven't been there yet. It was opened by Patsy Grimaldi, who founded Grimaldi's.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thanks for the extra recommendations. Since I'm staying a week, I'll probably have time to check out stuff in Brooklyn as well. Going to bed now because I'm leaving tomorrow!

Thanks for the extra recommendations. Since I'm staying a week, I'll probably have time to check out stuff in Brooklyn as well. Going to bed now because I'm leaving tomorrow!

If you get a chance to go to queens, shoot me a PM and I'll recommend some good places to eat and sightsee.

Queens is much more interesting than Brooklyn anyways.

Jhoan

Oh and by the way guys, I'm thinking about doing a semi-private meet up on the 28th of September. Apparently, it's the aforementioned annual Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival on that day and as I mentioned, it's a ton of fun. I might volunteer there again this year doing photography duty as I did last year.

Is anyone fine with me rebooting this thread and making a new one or at least making an NYC GAF community thread? I really feel like we would all benefit from a thread where we can talk about De Blasio's latest shtick, NYPD in a civil discussion with respect to GAF member officer Christopher, or random stuff about the city.

Since it closes at 5:15pm daily, The Cloisters works best as an early day activity. You got the (ideally) beautiful sunshine during the day to take advantage of doing stuff. It's about 20 minutes away via the A train from Times Square on 191st. The park is right outside the station. You can easily transfer to the 1 train on 59th street to go to South Ferry. Fun fact: Fort Tryon Park hosts a Medieval Festival every year where there's live jousting, tons of medieval themed costumes, clothes, accessories, and food in the beginning of October and The Cloisters is free on that day.

I would say to do the Staten Island ferry since it's your first visit to NYC so you can see and take pictures of/with the obligatory Statue of Liberty in the background. Roosevelt Island isn't really on the super must see places as a first-time thing. Definitely stick to Manhattan as your first time in the city and save the outer boroughs for another trip in the future. Central Park has a petting zoo on 66th and 5th near my college where you can feed and pet llamas, sheep, cows, and goats. There's so much culture brimming in Brooklyn and Queens. And of course, there's The Bronx Zoo.

I would also say that while I haven't been there before, to check out the Top of The Rock as opposed to the Empire State Building. It has really nice views of the city on top of it being the NBC News and having the severely overrated Nintendo World down the street. Not a lot of tourists know about/go to the Top of the Rock since the Empire State Building is a massive tourist trap. Plus tours should be pretty decently priced.

I think the High Line is also worth checking out since it's a really chill several block park suspended several feet up. I went there on a date in July for the first time and while the date itself was okay, the views were pretty awesome.

I saw this place on a show called $9.99 that they give on NYC-TV that's called the Church of Sweden. Apparently they make really good baked goods and Swedish coffee. I never noticed it myself until I saw that show. Definitely look up the show since it's all about doing things for $10 or less in the city.

I don't eat at restaurants all that much these days since it's pricey but Famous Ray's Pizza is worth checking out as is Katz's Deli for their famous pastrami sandwich. The Uncommons near the Washington Square Park area is also a nice place to go to if you want to play some board games. We've been to so many bars on GAF meet ups, I wouldn't know where to begin. Valhalla (54th and 9th) is at the very top of my favorite bars to go to on dates or host a GAF meet up. The noise level is a bit high though so be warned.

I can go on and on since I'm pretty damn passionate about the city; specifically about Manhattan and The Bronx to a lesser extent since my knowledge of Queens and Brooklyn is limited. I know a good deal about art galleries/museums. If you have any other questions, feel free to fire away.

On a similar note, I've been thinking about possibly starting a new NYC thread to reboot discussion ala other city threads that exist here in OT-Community. There's so many current events to talk about and I would love to have way more NYC GAF members chime into discussions. This thread is usually a dead horse until someone bumps it with either a question or an event.

Finally had time to read this post. I've been crazy busy with my conference. Thanks again for the tips man!

The High Line seems really cool and well worth a visit. And yeah, I've heard I should avoid the Empire State Building as well. Top of the rock sounds like a nice alternative.

About starting a NYC thread, I think that sounds like a good idea. As an outsider, I was surprised to see that this thread was not more active. I'd definitely say such a bustling city deserves a more active thread :)

bob page

Finally had time to read this post. I've been crazy busy with my conference. Thanks again for the tips man!

The High Line seems really cool and well worth a visit. And yeah, I've heard I should avoid the Empire State Building as well. Top of the rock sounds like a nice alternative.

About starting a NYC thread, I think that sounds like a good idea. As an outsider, I was surprised to see that this thread was not more active. I'd definitely say such a bustling city deserves a more active thread :)
It used to be really active before it got moved to Community. Now barely anyone knows it even exists.

Burgers:

Pizza:
For burgers, I'd add The Spotted Pig to that list. Minettas is great though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I tried Levain bakery yesterday morning and holy crap... That chocolate chip cookie is to die for. Incredible. I'm probably going back there before I leave. Went to natural history museum and MET yesterday, today moma and guggenheim. Loved both, but they're too huge if you want to be done in a couple of hours. I could've stayed in the NH for a full day easily. I saw a great Space: Dark Universe show in a theatre there. Went to times square and loved the toys r us there. The Nintendo World store on the other hand is disappointing, nothing really tempting to buy even. Today I'm also visiting the FAO Schwarz store.

I'm having a great time. Later days I'll be heading on to lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

bob page

I tried Levain bakery yesterday morning and holy crap... That chocolate chip cookie is to die for. Incredible. I'm probably going back there before I leave. Went to natural history museum and MET yesterday, today moma and guggenheim. Loved both, but they're too huge if you want to be done in a couple of hours. I could've stayed in the NH for a full day easily. I saw a great Space: Dark Universe show in a theatre there. Went to times square and loved the toys r us there. The Nintendo World store on the other hand is disappointing, nothing really tempting to buy even. Today I'm also visiting the FAO Schwarz store.

I'm having a great time. Later days I'll be heading on to lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Their chocolate chip cookie is hands down the best cookie I've had in my entire life. Nothing has come close.

Top Bottom