• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Shark Gun

Neo Member
Hi NYC Gaf, I feel it's time to put this thread back on the map. I'm visiting your great city for the 4th time this November. While I already got great advice from the OP I'd still like to ask you guys for some advice. Since I'll be there for the 4th time I'm looking for fun stuff to do besides the obvious tourist places and attractions.

Do you know any good shops for jeans and smart streetwear stuff that can't be missed? Any new restaurants that don't show up in the OP I need to know of? Also I'll be staying in Brooklyn for the first time at Monroe and Bedford apparently. Do you have any advice for the area specifically? I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know. It also would be great if some fellow Gaffers would want to meet up for drinks or something like that.

Hi NYC Gaf, I feel it's time to put this thread back on the map. I'm visiting your great city for the 4th time this November. While I already got great advice from the OP I'd still like to ask you guys for some advice. Since I'll be there for the 4th time I'm looking for fun stuff to do besides the obvious tourist places and attractions.

Do you know any good shops for jeans and smart streetwear stuff that can't be missed? Any new restaurants that don't show up in the OP I need to know of? Also I'll be staying in Brooklyn for the first time at Monroe and Bedford apparently. Do you have any advice for the area specifically? I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know. It also would be great if some fellow Gaffers would want to meet up for drinks or something like that.

Define good.
Do you mean high quality? Fairly priced? Looking for a certain streetwear brand you want to buy?

I didn't see Bon Chon mentioned in the OP.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bonchon-chicken-new-york-4

That's a Korean Fried Chicken place in Midtown. If you like fried chicken without the grease and all of the crunch, it's worth the trip to go try it.

Monroe and Bedford sounds closer to Bed-Stuy and the neighborhood still has rough edges. Don't stay out too crazy late in the area and keep your wits about you. If you're drinking, it's easy to get taken advantage of.

Jipan is planning something for Comic-Con. I haven't heard of anything else for NYC GAF events in a while.

Jhoan

Personally, I buy most of my clothes at department stores such as Century 21 or Macy's (with my brother's Macy's card discount). Century 21 sells trendy clothes at decently discounted prices even though I feel like I'm being watched whenever I go in there these days. There's one on 66th Broadway and another one near the 9/11 memorial. Many GAF members swear by Uniqlo but I personally never find anything that appeals to me whenever I go in there and end up walking out empty handed. Journey's is a pretty solid footwear shop for trendy footwear. It depends on your budget ultimately since there's a plethora of stores that cater to all kinds of budgets.

As for restaurants, I don't keep up with that stuff since I rarely go out to eat at restaurants but gothamist.com and timeoutnewyork.com would probably be your best bet for those things.

In regards to a meet up, like DoktorEvil said, traditionally we've never had a meet up in November due to how busy that month is what with mid term exams, Thanksgiving, and Black Friday all in the same month. I'm definitely planning on making a December meet up thread in early to mid November.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to organizing something private depending on when you're going to be in town. Black Friday is going to kill most of our wallets for sure. The NYCC meet up that DoktorEvil is referring to is next month which you're obviously going to miss.

Shark Gun

Neo Member
Thank you guys for getting back to me. Definition of good, well not too pricey but still well made. Just your go to stores. I've been to the big department stores and don't really like shopping there. I know Uniqlo from Tokyo but made the same experiences like you Jipan but I'll check it out anyway.

The chicken place seems brilliant, thanks Dr. Also thanks on the heads up about the area. I'll be there with my brother so we'll have to look out for each other. I'll check out Journeys as well, do you know of any store that sells sneakers which isn't Footlocker?

November is really busy I know but since I work at a university it's the other way for us so it's one of the only times during the year that I can get some time off. I'll be there from the 5th until the 12th.

Not sure what your fashion style is but you might like Brooklyn Industries.

I can heartily second Bon Chon chicken-- pricey for what it is but great (I think I may even have mentioned it a page or two ago).

A couple of Brooklyn food joints I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Four & Twenty is right next to Fletcher's so it makes a great 1-2 food punch, just be aware that Four & Twenty's hours are not the longest-- they tend to close on the early side.

** Shameless plug alert: a good friend of mine is the pitmaster at Fletcher's. It's still awesome, though a bit pricey (seems like a running theme for all these joints). **

Jhoan

Not sure what your fashion style is but you might like Brooklyn Industries.

LOL! Last time I checked in on him, GAF member TheLastWizard worked at Brooklyn Industries. IIRC I think he still works there so he might be able to pull some strings on providing a discount.

@Shark Gun: 5th-12th you say? Might be able to set something up for that weekend depending on I have to do for that week; I need to check my syllabus for classes. I'll keep you posted if anything. Also, I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't like Uniqlo's clothing selection.

Shark Gun

Neo Member
Thank you again for the great tips. I'll go home a few kilos on the plus side the way it looks. Brooklyn Industries looks quite interesting, that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Basic, clean and nice.

Let me know if you have time Jipan. I don't know how my internet situation will be over there so I probably can't be super spontaneous but would be cool to meet a fellow Gaffer.

SKINNER!

Banned
Brooklyn had an amazing pizza place that was just next to the bridge. Started with a G. Can't remember the name but I'll dig it out. So freakin' tasty. Missed NYC :(

Jhoan

Thank you again for the great tips. I'll go home a few kilos on the plus side the way it looks. Brooklyn Industries looks quite interesting, that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Basic, clean and nice.

Let me know if you have time Jipan. I don't know how my internet situation will be over there so I probably can't be super spontaneous but would be cool to meet a fellow Gaffer.

Will do. I'm sure DokEvil will be on board if I ask him as well as a few other folks.

Admittedly, I'm ashamed to say I've never been to Grimaldi's or any of the gourmet pizza joints yet. The idea of traveling all the way out of Northern Manhattan to wait on a 30 minute line for pizza doesn't too thrilling to me but I could always explore the area around it afterwards.

its ok.... NY has great pizza in general so I think people like it because its unique.

I used to think so, but the more I go to local places near me, the more I notice how much lack of effort is put into NY pizza nowadays.

The sauce has been getting sweeter and the dough and crust is usually burnt or charred.

Some pizza places shouldn't be open at all, if you look at the amount of foot traffic and business some places get.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I used to think so, but the more I go to local places near me, the more I notice how much lack of effort is put into NY pizza nowadays.

The sauce has been getting sweeter and the dough and crust is usually burnt or charred.

Some pizza places shouldn't be open at all, if you look at the amount of foot traffic and business some places get.

are you talking about the dollar slices places? because yeah those slices taste bleh most the time but people buy them because of the price.

are you talking about the dollar slices places? because yeah those slices taste bleh most the time but people buy them because of the price.

I was talking about a couple of places near me in Queens, one of which is Brother's Pizza. Their pizza sucks despite having an "endorsement" from Alec Baldwin.

Jhoan

There was no meet up on the 18th as far as I know. If I would've organized it, I would've posted the details ages ago. I dunno who said they're meeting up on that day but it wasn't true. Supposedly the plan was that Vita GAF was going to have a meet up at some point this month but that sailed over my head if it did happen.

However, there is the annual Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival from 12-6PM this upcoming Sunday if anyone is interested in going/meeting up there. I live about 14 blocks from the park. It's a pretty fun festival.

...there is the annual Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival from 12-6PM this upcoming Sunday if anyone is interested in going/meeting up there. I live about 14 blocks from the park. It's a pretty fun festival.
Man, I love renfests but I'm going to be out of town this weekend. Blecch. That would have been awesome.

Setreal

Hi NYCGaf! Some of you might remember me from when I used to come to meetups about 1.5-2 years ago when I lived in NY.

I'm looking to book bottle service for a bachelor party (8-10 guys) for Black Friday of all days (any thoughts on this by the way? it worked best for everyone's schedules but not sure if it'll be dead). Any suggestions on a venue? Also, this promoter (http://www.birthdaybottleservice.com/) seems to offer b1g1 bottles at a lot of places, maybe a good way to go?

Thanks guys!

Can anyone suggest best events for Halloween in NYC? Going on a trip with 8 guys and planning on partying the whole time. Clearly there's a lot going on though and little bit overwhelmed...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Anyone know a nice NYE spot in the city?

I'm looking for a legit black tie event with 30 somethings. A view would be nice but I don't want to wind up with a bunch of 20 year olds Jr. Analysts with bottle service because it's nice. Effectively I want to drink a couple of nice glasses of scotch and light a cigar up at midnight. Preferably without having to go to Bemmelmens and pay those sort of prices.

Wound up at Hotel on Rivington last year on some very iffy advice.

Was told that Le bain is a good spot but given the usual le bain crowd I'm expecting Jr. Analysts with bottle service.

StoOgE

I forgot to mention something in my big impression post. I also went to the 9/11 memorial and I just don't understand people sometimes... I saw multiple girls with those special selfie dealies doing their very best to make the perfect duck-faced selfie in front of the name plaques and monument... Maybe I'm overreacting here but that kinda makes me angry. Take all the pictures of the monument you want, reflect, think, but take yourself out of the equation for once. So many people were doing it that it just reminded me how much I hate the selfie phenomenon, especially at a place like this.

I worked at 1 Liberty until about 9 months ago.

My entire faith in humanity was lost seeing the way people act around the memorial site. It's not 1 or 2 people either, it's most of them.

StoOgE

And to complete the triple combo, I have dinner reservations at Eleven Madison for our anniversary celebration this year.

I've been once 3 years ago for lunch before they forced the tasting and wasn't totally blown away. But their book had just come out and a lot of the head staff was out on a book tour at the time.

Looking forward to it, no duck for two since my wife doesn't eat duck.

Went to Per Se last year and had a pretty bad experience. It was my second time there, and they weirdly chased me into the lobby of TWC to ask if I had made off with their pen. I hadn't, but when I sign a bill for 1,000 dollars please don't chase me down for your pen.

GiJoccin

And to complete the triple combo, I have dinner reservations at Eleven Madison for our anniversary celebration this year.

I've been once 3 years ago for lunch before they forced the tasting and wasn't totally blown away. But their book had just come out and a lot of the head staff was out on a book tour at the time.

i went there right before they bumped prices up, when they still had their seasons tasting menu, and it was delightful. every dish/amuse was amazing, with the exception of the main course, but i pretty much always find main courses the low point of meals.

i did get a beer pairing, which was pretty eye opening in terms of discovering sour ales, and i'd definitely recommend... and my girlfriend swears they made her the best old fashioned she's ever had

Seems like we're getting a third barcadE?

Do they do really good business?

The one in Manhattan gets packed pretty often even since it opened.

The Brooklyn one also did solid business.

However, some machines have a nice habit of stealing quarters from drunk patrons.

Penguin

The one in Manhattan gets packed pretty often even since it opened.

The Brooklyn one also did solid business.

However, some machines have a nice habit of stealing quarters from drunk patrons.

Well the new one is focused on 90s arcade games, which is more my speed.

bob page

Seems like we're getting a third barcadE?

Do they do really good business?

Williamsburg location is still completely packed on weekends (so much that it's not enjoyable sometimes). Hopefully the St. Marks location will help steal some of the crowd away.

hoggert

can anyone recommend a decent tattoo place in NYC? Past couple of dudes who have done work on me either fucked off to other states or got deported.

Want a good artist with lifework. Don't give a shit about price or location

Also, if there's a meet up at the new St. Marks barcade, place my brother works is two storefronts over so I can get us a discount lol

bob page

http://www.amny.com/eat-and-drink/free-dough-doughnuts-in-manhattan-1.9477255

basically, beloved BK doughnut shop Dough is opening up on 19th btw 5th and 6th ave, free doughnuts every morning until the 15th, when they will have doughnuts all day for free

there was no line at all when i went yesterday, just walk up to the counter and get a FREEEEE doughnut! delicious flavors too
Holy shit. This is great news.

Anyone have a favorite restaurant in the $80/pp range?

Favorite? Shit I've never step foot into a restaurant that passes the 30-40 per plate range.

I'm too intimidated by those prices to even step into one. White collar big wigs can afford that shit.

GiJoccin

My go to in that range is Locanda Verde in Tribeca, usually comes out to about 150 for two with drinks, tax, and tip

but there are tons of yummy options for about that range, like Ssam bar is another solid choice

lunchtoast

What's the best way to get tickets for statue of liberty? There's a lot of sites offering tickets. I also want to see mormon musical, do we just go to the box office and ask to enter a lottery at certain times?

What's the best way to get tickets for statue of liberty? There's a lot of sites offering tickets. I also want to see mormon musical, do we just go to the box office and ask to enter a lottery at certain times?
you can try TKTS but you need to get there early and potentially brave log lines for a shot, if they even have any.

Jhoan

EDIT: Sorry about that guys, I was drunk last night. The next and final NYC GAF meet up of this year will be on December 21st and it will include an optional Secret Santa to sign up for. The budget I'm looking to keep the spending on is between $10-$70 (for video games) but folks will be welcome to spend more. I wanna create a stronger sense of community in these meet ups going forward. I'll make the thread in a few days. I'll start planning the place, OP stuff content, and how I will go about making the said theme; I'm gonna make it quote-to-reveal. I think I mentioned setting a future meet up at the St. Marks Barcade so I'm leaning heavily towards that place.

I think I'm gonna take a backseat on hosting meet ups next year to figure out my post-graduation plans. Mully for sure has dibs on making a meet up for next year.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Anyone been to the Room Escape NYC thing? Wondering what it's like as it seems like something which might be of interest.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Anyone been to the Room Escape NYC thing? Wondering what it's like as it seems like something which might be of interest.
They're great. Would definitely recommend doing them.

There's two locations, but they're run by two different groups. If you're going to do your first one I would suggest The Office at the midtown location. It was the first one and there's a good variety of puzzles you need to work through. I've only done one at the downtown location (I think it's called The Apartment) and it was okay. I think the puzzles in midtown were better constructed.

Top Bottom