• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

Anyone in here have any ideas for places to stay in NYC for cheap?

I'm currently trying to move there for school and I've started applying for jobs already but my only thing is currently trying to find a place to stay since I don't know anyone up there with a couch to crash on. I don't have any family up there either.

Apartment hunting has been a nightmare and room hunting hasn't gone well either.

Any pointers on how to move up there would be amazing since I'm pretty damn clueless.

Anyone in here have any ideas for places to stay in NYC for cheap?

I'm currently trying to move there for school and I've started applying for jobs already but my only thing is currently trying to find a place to stay since I don't know anyone up there with a couch to crash on. I don't have any family up there either.

Apartment hunting has been a nightmare and room hunting hasn't gone well either.

Any pointers on how to move up there would be amazing since I'm pretty damn clueless.

Not sure on cheap places to stay (did you try Craigslist?) but as far as finding permanent lodgings, you gotta be prepared to put money down and move on it ASAP if you find something you like and afford. It's super frustrating-- the last time I moved apartments, I was still looking a week before I had to move-- talk about nerve-wracking.

Also, don't be afraid to look at NJ for options: the city is an easy trip by train (PATH). Queens is also a good place to look. I'd say Brooklyn (where I live) but it's already getting priced through the roof in many areas though someplace like Bay Ridge is not too expensive yet and has some great neighborhood feel, though it's not super close to Manhattan (assuming that's important).

Kjellson

I'm going to New York in April. Is it possible to get a pic of yourself in front of Tom's Restaurant without looking like an idiot blocking up pedestrians? I really like Seinfeld.

I'm going to New York in April. Is it possible to get a pic of yourself in front of Tom's Restaurant without looking like an idiot blocking up pedestrians? I really like Seinfeld.

I took a friend from Florida there who's a huge Seinfeld fan.

You'll be ok and passerbys(mainly students I think) will be happy to take a photo for you.

If I buy an unscheduled ticket to Top of the Rock for tomorrow, how do I know what the exact times each elevator leaves at? Too late for customer service call, sent an email but not sure if they'll be able to get back to me in time.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Damn I have been meaning to do the Room Escape. I bought a groupon deal a while back for it but then the group I went to do it with didn't end up going. Terrible.

I am here to shill my blog/website since this topic kind of inspired me to get started. I am going to be chronicling the locations that I eat at throughout the city. As of right now I have enough of a backlog to put up a new post 3x a week but as you can imagine it gets rather expensive!

The point is that I can't trust Yelp reviews, so I want to become a trustworthy voice for people to check in with. Once I build up enough reviews I will branch off into a recommendation service.

The website is wellfedny.com I have 8 or 9 reviews up depending on when you click today.

Jhoan

Damn I have been meaning to do the Room Escape. I bought a groupon deal a while back for it but then the group I went to do it with didn't end up going. Terrible.

I am here to shill my blog/website since this topic kind of inspired me to get started. I am going to be chronicling the locations that I eat at throughout the city. As of right now I have enough of a backlog to put up a new post 3x a week but as you can imagine it gets rather expensive!

The point is that I can't trust Yelp reviews, so I want to become a trustworthy voice for people to check in with. Once I build up enough reviews I will branch off into a recommendation service.

The website is wellfedny.com I have 8 or 9 reviews up depending on when you click today.
So that's what you been up to all this time eh? A food critic? Never would've figured. I admire the fact that you're willing to let your wallet take a beating to follow a passion even with dining being so damn pricey. I guess the mods should change your tag to EAAAATTTTINNN' instead. ;p

The website looks pretty solid. I like how the designer captured your Mr. Clean bald head likeness in the logo.

While I'm at it, since I've been meaning to post it in this thread, there is meet up coming pretty soonish with one being this Friday night (small one) and the other on December 20th. Here is the link for that: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929167

Lastly if anyone is going to Walker Stalker Con this weekend at the Meadowlands Center in Jersey, I'm scheduled to volunteer there for the weekend but I might back out for one day to focus on doing a final project. Not looking forward to getting up at 5:30AM to be in Jersey by 7:30AM. =/

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I would suggest everyone check out Bar 65 before the tourists figure out it's there.

I had a holiday party at the Rainbow Room last night and popped over there. It's pretty nice, 20-25 dollar cocktails, good view and is actually pretty swanky.

Cheaper than top of the rock, same view (maybe a bit better on the west side of the building), cheaper and you get a drink. Which means it's a matter of time before trip advisor is suggesting it.

The new Rainbow room is nice. They kept some of the old chandeliers for the main ball room and have put a lounge in the rest that is cozy.

What's the consensus of the new Tavern on the Green?

I haven't had the opportunity to eat in the old one, but the reopening has me curious.

GiJoccin

i order from taqueria tlaxcalli all the time (work at Jacobi) - so good

check out el atoradero in mott haven, especially on weekends - awesome mexican food, and they have more than just tacos/burritos

I haven't had the opportunity to eat in the old one, but the reopening has me curious.

my girlfriend ate there and really didn't like it, and i haven't heard good things

StoOgE

I actually went last night.

1) It looks phenomenal. Especially with the snow and Xmas decorations.

2) The food is super unimaginative. It's basically "here, we cooked this thing exactly the way you would at home, but maybe not as well" The dishes range from chicken to pork chop to tuna. Side dishes range from mashed potatoes (honestly, tasted like freeze dried potatoes) and mac n cheese. So, basically the absolute most obvious dishes. Nothing on there you would be like "oh hey, you don't see this everywhere"

3) The Tuna has pork in it with zero warning on the menu. My wife is a pescatarian... so yeah.

4) Wait staff ran the gamut. Our waiter was nice and super helpful with wine and aperitif selections, the table behind us asked for a new waiter as they hadn't had their drink order taken for about 30 minutes.

5) At some point a line cook dropped a dish in the open kitchen... drunk patron applauds the drop. Hipster line cook start applauding back at him and laughing maniacally. Points at him and shouts "funny guy over here"

6) $200 dollar check at the end of it.

Stay far far away. Maybe go to the bar during Xmas because it looks great. I won't be going back.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
So that's what you been up to all this time eh? A food critic? Never would've figured. I admire the fact that you're willing to let your wallet take a beating to follow a passion even with dining being so damn pricey. I guess the mods should change your tag to EAAAATTTTINNN' instead. ;p

The website looks pretty solid. I like how the designer captured your Mr. Clean bald head likeness in the logo.

While I'm at it, since I've been meaning to post it in this thread, there is meet up coming pretty soonish with one being this Friday night (small one) and the other on December 20th. Here is the link for that: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929167

Lastly if anyone is going to Walker Stalker Con this weekend at the Meadowlands Center in Jersey, I'm scheduled to volunteer there for the weekend but I might back out for one day to focus on doing a final project. Not looking forward to getting up at 5:30AM to be in Jersey by 7:30AM. =/
Thanks for the kind words dude. It's been a really insane last few months is why I haven't been around as much. I'm unfortunately going to be at my company's holiday party this Friday and then headed out of town this weekend. I would love to join the next meetup!

i order from taqueria tlaxcalli all the time (work at Jacobi) - so good

check out el atoradero in mott haven, especially on weekends - awesome mexican food, and they have more than just tacos/burritos

my girlfriend ate there and really didn't like it, and i haven't heard good things

Dude Tlaxcalli is so awesome and cheap! Thanks for the other recommendation. I will check it out.

derder

So I'll be going up for NYE and don't necessarily want to see the ball drop - I've heard a lot of bad things.

Does anyone have any tips on other things to do for the ball drop other than pissing into a diaper?

Also, does anyone know of some holiday theme'd things to do in the City? I'm thinking of skating at Bryant Park, seeing the tree at Rockafeller, going to Macy's?

Jhoan

So I'll be going up for NYE and don't necessarily want to see the ball drop - I've heard a lot of bad things.

Does anyone have any tips on other things to do for the ball drop other than pissing into a diaper?

Also, does anyone know of some holiday theme'd things to do in the City? I'm thinking of skating at Bryant Park, seeing the tree at Rockafeller, going to Macy's?

Pissing into a diaper? Hahahaha. If you do end going to see the ball drop, may godspeed my man. It's gonna be crowded as sin and security everywhere and it's usually pretty cold. Never saw it in person but I would recommend getting there early (around 5-6PM) and wear a good amount of layers. Personally, I would advise against being anywhere near the Times Square/Hell's Kitchen area since it's gonna be madness taking the damn train afterwards and hit up a bar to go watch the ball drop.

South Street Seaport has a nice Christmas tree that doesn't get as much tourists as Rockefeller Center does as well as a small skating rink so I would recommend hitting it up. You can also hit up Union Square as well for their holiday shops. Macy's is a good place to hit up. As a novelty thing, I suppose FAO Schwarz is worth a visit to see their gargantuan stuffed animals/Christmas theme in general.

Does anyone know of any way to possibly make/get L&B Spumoni Pizza outside of NY? I'm from Minnesota, and i'll be damned if I die without having a slice of that amazing looking square pizza. I might be forced to travel if I ever want my desire fulfilled, but if there is a cheaper option available, I'm all ears.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Does anyone know of any way to possibly make/get L&B Spumoni Pizza outside of NY? I'm from Minnesota, and i'll be damned if I die without having a slice of that amazing looking square pizza. I might be forced to travel if I ever want my desire fulfilled, but if there is a cheaper option available, I'm all ears.

There's no way to get Spumoni outside of visiting. You can try making it yourself. Found a few folks trying to reverse engineer it here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17168.0.html

You really don't think you'll ever make it to NYC? The only issue is that it's not exactly on the beaten path-- I have no idea how I'd get there if I had to rely on public transport.

GiJoccin

I also found this site that recreated it. Fuck. I guess I'll just have to try and make it myself.

http://animalnewyork.com/2012/lb-spumoni-gardens-notoriously-delicious-square-slice-deconstructed/

hmm i'm skeptical

i've made lots of pizza at home, and while it comes out great, it's different from pizzeria pies. my home oven just doesn't get hot enough, it caps out at 550, though having a pizza steel helps

and L&B's square slice is heavenly, seriously some of my favorite pizza in nyc

...my home oven just doesn't get hot enough, it caps out at 550, though having a pizza steel helps...
Yeah, there are certain things that are really hard to duplicate at home just because home setups can't push the temperatures like commercial kitchens. Steaks are the same thing, I can make a damn good steak at home but it's not a steakhouse steak because I can't apply the same extreme heat to them that a restaurant can.

MC Safety

Friends are coming into the city tomorrow. I need to pick a good restaurant.

I'd like to try The Old Homestead, but it seems expensive and also the kind of place that would get crowded for lunch. Has anyone ever eaten there?

Barring that, does anyone have any recommendations for good, sit-down pizzerias or places that serve Mexican, cajun, seafood, or Italian?

I guess the only caveat is that I don't want to schlep overmuch -- the subway is fine and we can get around no problem that way.

Thanks in advance.

Pau

I'd like to try The Old Homestead, but it seems expensive and also the kind of place that would get crowded for lunch. Has anyone ever eaten there?

Barring that, does anyone have any recommendations for good, sit-down pizzerias or places that serve Mexican, cajun, seafood, or Italian?

I guess the only caveat is that I don't want to schlep overmuch -- the subway is fine and we can get around no problem that way.

Thanks in advance.
For sit-down, restaurant pizza, I say Grimaldi's right under the Brooklyn Bridge.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
If you're just staying in the city, I guess Lombardi's.

If you guys are going to be around Time Square I'd definitely recommend Toloache for Mexican. It's a nice sit-down, refined take on it.

Seafood... John Dory, Pearl Oyster Bar, or Ed's Lobster Bar.

Italian... Frankies 570, Eataly.

If you want steak, a cheap option would be Les Relais de Venise. They only serve one thing there (with a few options for dessert). It's really a restaurant to showcase their wine, but the food is still good. Also, right in front of the restaurant is where Marilyn Monroe shot the famous scene of her dress billowing up from the subway grate. There's a factoid you can throw at them.

Thanks in advance.
John's Pizzeria in the West Village?

There'so also John's of East 12th for old fashioned American-Italian, been around forever, lots of atmosphere, don't know their lunch situation though. It's off of 2nd avenue, I think.

You really don't think you'll ever make it to NYC? The only issue is that it's not exactly on the beaten path-- I have no idea how I'd get there if I had to rely on public transport.

If what other are saying is true, and I won't be able to accurately make it myself, then I guess I'll have to. One day. One day that pizza will be mine!

Jhoan

The annual No Pants Subway Ride is this Sunday. Is anyone planning on participating? I was gonna do it last year with a friend but chickened out at the last minute and didn't go to one of the meet up points.Saw pictures of my friend doing it and felt bad.

I'm feeling up for it this year since I can totally keep a straight face on the subway by drawing people as I normally do. It'd be nice to do it with a bunch of GAF members. For more details see this link (I might make a separate thread for in OT if anything): http://improveverywhere.com/2015/01/05/no-pants-subway-ride-2015-details-for-new-york/

The annual No Pants Subway Ride is this Sunday. Is anyone planning on participating? I was gonna do it last year with a friend but chickened out at the last minute and didn't go to one of the meet up points.Saw pictures of my friend doing it and felt bad.

I'm feeling up for it this year since I can totally keep a straight face on the subway by drawing people as I normally do. It'd be nice to do it with a bunch of GAF members. For more details see this link (I might make a separate thread for in OT if anything): http://improveverywhere.com/2015/01/05/no-pants-subway-ride-2015-details-for-new-york/
Not gonna be able to do it!

Christopher

Thank god I'm aware of these things before they actually happen.

Jhoan

Thank god I'm aware of these things before they actually happen.

Hahaha, unfortunately I didn't do it this year either. I guess there's always next year. Hopefully you guys didn't have to make any arrests this year.

As a quick side note: The first big official GAF meet up for the year will be in late March. Expect a thread to grace OT in the last week of January.

Jhoan

Sorry for the DP but if anyone is interested in comics or is an aspiring illustrator/comic artist (such as me), the 3rd Annual Black Comic Book Festival is happening tomorrow and it's free. It's from 10AM-7PM.

GAF member, ~Devil Trigger~ is going to be there showing his work among the many artists so show your support for a GAF member at the very least. I'll be there as well as I already RSVP'ed and it's pretty close from my way. See this link for details: http://www.nypl.org/events/programs/2014/01/17/3rd-annual-black-comic-book-festival

I'm confused about Penn Station and Madison Square Garden, which according to maps are in the same spot. If I wanted to go to Penn Station, which side would I go in on?

Futureman

Hey NYC GAF...

I'm staying at an AirBNB with my GF in Brooklyn this weekend (Thur-Sat). We are staying in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area.

We are driving and I'm wondering what I should do about parking? Should I find a garage we can park it in the entire weekend and then just use public transportation while we are in the city?

GiJoccin

Hey NYC GAF...

I'm staying at an AirBNB with my GF in Brooklyn this weekend (Thur-Sat). We are staying in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area.

We are driving and I'm wondering what I should do about parking? Should I find a garage we can park it in the entire weekend and then just use public transportation while we are in the city?

you can totally street park, especially in brooklyn, especially on a weekend

just make sure you read the parking signs. lots of spots in brooklyn only have street cleaning on one day, so unless it's the day you're parked in the spot, youre good

you can totally street park, especially in brooklyn, especially on a weekend

just make sure you read the parking signs. lots of spots in brooklyn only have street cleaning on one day, so unless it's the day you're parked in the spot, youre good
I don't think there's any alternate side issues on the weekends but do check all the signs around just to be sure.

Jhoan

Is anyone going to IndieCade East this weekend? I know there's a few Press peeps in here as well as a small amount of game devs based in the city. I'm gonna be volunteering there on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday which is why I ask. Maybe I should make a thread on the Gaming side seeing it's relevant to it.

StoOgE

I don't think there's any alternate side issues on the weekends but do check all the signs around just to be sure.

Alternate side issues are only during the week.

I got burned by this BAD recently. We rented a car the night before a road trip, and I parked on the correct side of the street. Packed everything up the night before for an easy exit the next day.

Woke up at 10AM, had a cup of coffee, went to walk the dogs and saw that I got blocked in by someone who double parked. But hey, they left a number on my car! I called it and explained I needed to leave "I'm at work and have meetings until 4:00"

Long story short, that guys car got towed.

Futureman

ok... thanks for easing my concerns.

Though I will be getting to NYC on Thursday, so I will be parking on one weekday. Just check and make sure there's no street cleaning for that day? In Pittsburgh pretty much all the street parking is 2 hours only and you have to move.

Alternate side issues are only during the week.

I got burned by this BAD recently...

Long story short, that guys car got towed.
That sucks. Thankfully, people don't do that in my neighborhood but, by gawd, if you do that, you better be around to move your damn car!

ok... thanks for easing my concerns.

Though I will be getting to NYC on Thursday, so I will be parking on one weekday. Just check and make sure there's no street cleaning for that day? In Pittsburgh pretty much all the street parking is 2 hours only and you have to move.
There are some areas that have limited time paid parking via meters. I think they all end at 7PM. Something else you'll want to verify when you find parking. I don't THINK you'll find that in Bed-Stuy but you never know.

As for alternate side parking, just check the signs. Depending on your schedule, you can game the system as the ban only applies to a couple of hours on the appointed day-- it's not an all day deal, for example: Thursday, 11am to 2pm, etc.

Futureman

Thanks all.

So what to do in NYC? We are staying in Brooklyn.

We will be there Thur-Sat.

This is a short list we came up with. We aren't adverse to spending money, but the cheaper the better...

-Momofuku Milk Bar (I have a strange obsession w/ milk)
-Cooper Hewitt
-Central Park
-Chinatown
-MAYBE MET or MOMA
-MakerBot (I run a MakerBot at work and want to see the store)
-The Strand
-Union Square
-High Line park
-Upright Citizens Brigade (looks like you have to buy tickets the day of the show??)

Top Bottom