• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

beat

[UCB] You can reserve a spot online for future shows and pay when you pick them up.

Check the calendars: Chelsea and UCB East. I think the policy is that tickets usually go on sale exactly one week ahead of the the show, either on the hour the show starts or at noon. Do they do waitlists/standby at the door too? Also, Stepfathers isn't sold out for this Friday yet...

The Met is worth a full day or more, Futureman.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Check the calendars: Chelsea and UCB East. I think the policy is that tickets usually go on sale exactly one week ahead of the the show, either on the hour the show starts or at noon. Do they do waitlists/standby at the door too? Also, Stepfathers isn't sold out for this Friday yet...

The Met is worth a full day or more, Futureman.

Yeah, they still have standby lines.

Futureman

is Stepfathers supposed to be really great? My GF suggested we go to an East Village UCB show as we will already have been in Chelsea for my GF's sister's fashion show on Thursday.

Jhoan

You can reserve a spot online for future shows and pay when you pick them up.

If you want to head into Queens, Indiecade East is happening at the Museum of the Moving Image: http://www.indiecade.com/east_2015/
Which is what I asked about in the previous page (which got overlooked by the current ongoing discussion)since I'm gonna be volunteering there over the weekend. It's a bit pricey but definitely lots of indie games will be there. Gonna help set up exhibitor booths tomorrow. It's gonna be a fun weekend.

@Futureman, add The Pit to your list of cheap places to hit up. It's one of my favorite places to hit up when I have nothing better to do downtown and don't want to go home. Most shows are typically $5 ($1 with student ID) but some popular shows such as Risk Live and Frozen Wicked are $10 and $20 respectively. There's a bar where you can buy drinks while you stand by and can take the drinks with you to shows.

@Futureman, add The Pit to your list of cheap places to hit up. It's one of my favorite places to hit up when I have nothing better to do downtown and don't want to go home. Most shows are typically $5 ($1 with student ID) but some popular shows such as Risk Live and Frozen Wicked are $10 and $20 respectively. There's a bar where you can buy drinks while you stand by and can take the drinks with you to shows.
+1 for The Pit. Good times.

fallengorn

On top of UCB and the PIT, the Magnet is also great place for improv and comedy.

Which is what I asked about in the previous page (which got overlooked by the current ongoing discussion)since I'm gonna be volunteering there over the weekend. It's a bit pricey but definitely lots of indie games will be there. Gonna help set up exhibitor booths tomorrow. It's gonna be a fun weekend.

Whoops didn't see it. I was debating on going, but I don't know. I went to it two years ago... it was okay. Seeing all the games don't take that much time and there aren't that many panels I'm interested in on any one day. Hard for me to justify their pricing.

If someone hasn't been to the MoMI I'd recommend a day trip though.

Jhoan

On top of UCB and the PIT, the Magnet is also great place for improv and comedy.

Whoops didn't see it. I was debating on going, but I don't know. I went to it two years ago... it was okay. Seeing all the games don't take that much time and there aren't that many panels I'm interested in on any one day. Hard for me to justify their pricing.

If someone hasn't been to the MoMI I'd recommend a day trip though.
Can't say I blame you for not going since it's not exactly a event where new under wraps indie games make their debut; PAX East usually takes that cake. It sounds a bit underwhelming for a gaming event. NYU students are gonna be there in droves.

Never been to MoMI and only been to Astoria once about 3 years ago so I found as good of an excuse to volunteer since I have a ton of free time now. That, and I'm looking for freelance work now that I'm more or less out of college so hopefully I'll find some leads there.

Never been to MoMI and only been to Astoria once about 3 years ago so I found as good of an excuse to volunteer since I have a ton of free time now. That, and I'm looking for freelance work now that I'm more or less out of college so hopefully I'll find some leads there.

Museum of Moving Image have been steadily growing to do more things.

I wonder if they still have the retro gaming exhibit they used to have on the first floor.

Jhoan

Thinking about dusting off the GAF meet up mantle and organizing something either for this month or next month with the weather now warming up. It's been too long folks; in all honesty I miss a bunch of you duders.

I'm leaning towards late next month at the moment since I'll be volunteering at Games For Change on the weekend of the 25th but open to the weekend of the 18th as well. Ideas are flowing into my head once again. If anyone has any ideas for places or would like to organize it, shoot away. For now consider this the planning stages.

Also If anyone is going to MoCCA Fest next weekend, I will be volunteering there as well. Hope to see some of you there.

Kjellson

I am visiting your lovely city at the moment and I have a question I'm curious about. I walked on a thing called High Line today and it looked kind of new, and I'm wondering if I just walked on the subway bridge that you sometimes see in movies. Like for example the scene in Spider-Man 2 when he stops the train and his mask falls of.

Weird question I know, but I can't get it out of my head.

fallengorn

I am visiting your lovely city at the moment and I have a question I'm curious about. I walked on a thing called High Line today and it looked kind of new, and I'm wondering if I just walked on the subway bridge that you sometimes see in movies. Like for example the scene in Spider-Man 2 when he stops the train and his mask falls of.

Subway no, but it used to be used for freight trains.

Jhoan

fallengorn said:
Cool. I'll be at MoCCA on Saturday.
Nice, I have a feeling that Pau and Karkador will be there as well since I remember that she went last year. This is going to be my first MoCCA so I'm stoked! Hoping to find some leads there. I'll be patrolling one of the Exhibitor Floors.

It's crazy that it's on the same weekend as the East Coast Comic Con in Jersey. The organizers aren't worried at all. In a perfect world, I would've volunteered at both places but I'll take independent comic creators any day over big name people as it's much easier to talk to the former. Maybe next year.

Hahaha, unfortunately, that's not it as Fallegorn said. Otherwise, that place would have been flooded with tourists (well it gets tourists as is but still). Even so, most bridges that trains cross are only for trains/vehicles save for a few bridges (the Brooklyn Bridge and the Williamsburg Bridge). So I would assume that the bridge that was in Spider- Man 2 was probably a CG version of the subway only bridges. It's been so long since I saw that movie.

Although if it looks new, then it's because the final section of the High Line was finished and opened to the public a few months ago and is well maintained. Hopefully you're enjoying your stay! We're expecting to get three days of rain in the upcoming week. Gotta love April in the city.

----
So I've been doing a little bit more thinking about the next GAF meet up and I'm strongly leaning towards the 30th of May since I'm worried of the amount of money I'm going to be spending this month mostly on transportation. That and the aforementioned events that I'll be working. Why the 30th of May? Because it's late enough in the month that it generates enough interest.

Place is still TBD but I'm considering setting it out in Queens for a change (I know Brooklyn to Queens and vice versa is a pain in the ass). There's been a pinball place that a Facebook friend keeps checking into called Modern Pinball out in Astoria I believe that's been catching my attention. Alternatively, I'm considering St. Marks Barcade or some other place.

I'm also thinking about incorporating some kind of a tournament with prizes ala Toronto GAF. Expect a thread up either some time this week or next week.

Pau

I'll be at MoCCA. :) It's pretty great. Love buying prints there.

There are some above ground trains like the ones you see in Spider-Man 2 elsewhere in the city. For subways, it's mostly in Queens from what I've seen.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm moving to NYC in two weeks.

Any advice on a hostel or something to stay at while I look for an apartment?

Lulubop

Anyone know a spot with decent food and good drinks? Something good for a first date, but not to restauranty if that makes sense.

I'm the pickest fucking eater, unless we're talking BBQ.

Jhoan

I wish I knew more about hostels/places to stay at but I don't. Only thing I think of is to try couch surfing until however long it takes you to find a place if you're comfortable with the idea. If you can secure an apartment before your moving day, then even better. Oh and while you're at it, you can come to the next GAF meet up which will be late next month or a GAF meet up in the future!

Speaking of which, the next meet up is still in the planning stages. I've been narrowing it down to a few places. I hope to have the thread up by this weekend since it won't be as hectic for me so I'll start writing the thread content some time tonight if not tomorrow.

Places I'm considering include the Steinway Beer Garden in Astoria with possibly a hookah lounge afterwards. I feel like it's time to finally something out in Queens for a change even I though it would an issue for anyone who doesn't live in the vicinity including myself. Still deciding in the meantime. I'll have a concrete place set in stone by Sunday evening with details.

beat

The hostel I liked in NYC closed. =(

I usually check sites like hostelworld.com for user ratings; it helps me stay away from horror shows.

Try to get one convenient to your workplace, assuming you already have a job lined up. Make sure the place doesn't have a really short max stay limit, though pretty much any good hostel will cap you at 14-21 days.

You can also try couchsurfing websites or airbnb, I guess.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The hostel I liked in NYC closed. =(

I usually check sites like hostelworld.com for user ratings; it helps me stay away from horror shows.

Try to get one convenient to your workplace, assuming you already have a job lined up. Make sure the place doesn't have a really short max stay limit, though pretty much any good hostel will cap you at 14-21 days.

You can also try couchsurfing websites or airbnb, I guess.

Okay, thanks I will check it out!

I wish I knew more about hostels/places to stay at but I don't. Only thing I think of is to try couch surfing until however long it takes you to find a place if you're comfortable with the idea. If you can secure an apartment before your moving day, then even better. Oh and while you're at it, you can come to the next GAF meet up which will be late next month or a GAF meet up in the future!

Speaking of which, the next meet up is still in the planning stages. I've been narrowing it down to a few places. I hope to have the thread up by this weekend since it won't be as hectic for me so I'll start writing the thread content some time tonight if not tomorrow.

Places I'm considering include the Steinway Beer Garden in Astoria with possibly a hookah lounge afterwards. I feel like it's time to finally something out in Queens for a change even I though it would an issue for anyone who doesn't live in the vicinity including myself. Still deciding in the meantime. I'll have a concrete place set in stone by Sunday evening with details.

I will definitely try to be there, I have quite a few interviews lined up and stuff, but I'm not sure which will pan out. That's why I want to stay at a hostel till I get settled in a job.

You know nobody in NYC willing to let you crash with them?

I'm not very knowledgable on short stay hotels, but hope this helps:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011/may/06/top-10-new-york-hostels-city-guide

I know a few people, but my closest friend lives in an all female apartment building and they can't have guys stay overnight, lol.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind couch surfing.

spuckthew

Going to New York with the girlfriend at the end of June for a few days. Her birthday is on one of those days and I'm tasked with planning an entire day for her.

Just need some restaurant and bar recommendations for the evening portion of the day as I obviously have some of my own romantic daytime activities in mind (I don't need GAF's help on that :p) But as someone who has never been to the States before, I could do with some nice food/drink suggestions!

Thanks!

Jhoan

It depends on how much you're willing to spend because it's one thing to say that you want to go to hit up some restaurants but you need to specify how much. For example, there's Japanese food restaurants, then there's expensive top quality Japanese restaurants. Both are completely different dining experiences. Since you're coming from the UK, you're going to get more bang for you buck.

Where are you guys going to be staying to get a better idea on what type of bars/restaurants to recommend and how many days? I'm not as savvy in restaurants as others in this thread are since I don't eat out much so someone else can recommend places.

spuckthew

We're staying at the Marriott East Side for 4 nights, so central-ish Manhattan judging by its location on Google Maps.

Yeah, if the GBP stays around 1.54 USD (last June it exceeded 1.7, but I doubt it'll get so high this year!) then we'll have some decent spending money. I don't really have a budget but equally I'm not looking to break the bank. I don't really know what would be considered expensive or cheap in NY - I'm just interested in finding good places as I can take pricing into consideration afterwards.

Food-wise we're not overly fussy. We'll both eat pretty much anything or at least give it a try if the experience/ambiance is good.

We both love steak, French food, Italian food, Chinese food, Indian food, Mediterranean food. Yeah, basically anything. Seafood is probably the only no-no.

Jhoan

Four nights eh? That doesn't give you much to work with. A quick Google search tells me that you guys are gonna be staying either at the one on 53rd and Lexington or the one on 49th between Lex an Park. There's a ton of great bars around that area either way. I would say anything above 30 dollars per meal would be kinda pricey especially with tip but at least to me. Be sure to carry your Passports on you at all times in case you guys waltz into bars at night.

Since you mentioned loving steak, Peter Luger instantly popped into my head out in Brooklyn. I've never been there before but it's one of the most famous and best steak houses in the city.

As for Mediterranean food, your best bet for that would be to go out to the Astoria section of Queens since that neighborhood houses a large Greek community. However, given the short amount of time you're gonna be here, I'm not sure if it would be worth the trek.

Bareburger might another place worth checking out if you want to have exotic meat burgers such as Ostrich and Boar (don't get the Boar if you guys go; it's not very good IMO). There's one 32nd and 3rd Ave. and you guys can always hit up Third and Long across the street from it afterwards.

I'll give a you quick list of bars you can hit that in the Hell's Kitchen/Midtown East area based on having been there during GAF meet ups or otherwise:

Valhalla (on the corner of 54th and 10th)-large beer selection, great atmosphere, good pub food. We've hit up that place a couple of times during past GAF meet ups and I've been there on a few dates. Girls seem to love it. It can get loud though so be warned.

Pony Bar (45th and 10)-Another GAF meet up favorite with a great beer selection (get the Pear cider and a grilled cheese sandwich; they're favorites in that place) and cool atmosphere. Warning: it's a bit small as it can get crowded if you go during peak/happy hour (17:00-22:00 in EU time).

Barcade (various locations)- There's one on 24th between 7th and 6th (AKA Avenue of the Americas but only tourists call it that) and another one on St. Marks Place; both are in Manhattan. There's also another one out in Wiliamsburg (Brooklyn) on the L train. I suppose it's worth checking out at least once.

The one on 24th has retro arcades from the 80s whereas the one on St. Marks has more 90s arcades and fighting games such as Street Fighter III. Personally I like the latter location the best. Oh and if you do use the bathroom at the latter location I would recommend using the leftmost one; I left a message on the wall with my GAF name. It's still there to this day.

I think that's enough for now since I can go on and on. The Lower East Side is chock full of bars and restaurants that you hop around. For any other recommendations, feel free to browse through this thread or check out the (rather outdated) OP.

fallengorn

Another suggestion, Broadway Bites is going to be open June and July.

Roberta's is highly recommended.

Also, L'Ecole is closing in November. I would try to get a reservation while you're in town. It's pricey, but it's worth it. The fish is phenomenal.

I just moved to the city and have my car here for a bit.

Can I just keep it on the street if I'm not doubled parked and move it when they do the street cleaning? Or do I need a pass or something.

I'm in sunset park

Kisaya

I just moved to the city and have my car here for a bit.

Can I just keep it on the street if I'm not doubled parked and move it when they do the street cleaning? Or do I need a pass or something.

I'm in sunset park

If its not metered you can have it parked there until the days that the street is being cleaned, then you have to move it some place else.

Jhoan

Posting the E3 Playstation Experience Google doc in here specifically for the NYC section. If anyone is planning on going, sign up to get an idea as to who's going. Quote to reveal:

And yeah...this thread is gonna need a reboot in the near future in the way of a new thread. Not now but soon enough.

beat

I'm visiting in a month. Couple of food questions:

Is Sushi Yasuda still a good bet for value/taste at lunch?

Should I reserve a spot at Blanca?

GiJoccin

I'm visiting in a month. Couple of food questions:

Is Sushi Yasuda still a good bet for value/taste at lunch?

Should I reserve a spot at Blanca?

I didn't think Blanca was worth it. Momofuku Ko or EMP blew it out of the water of the tasting menus I've tried

beat

I didn't think Blanca was worth it. Momofuku Ko or EMP blew it out of the water of the tasting menus I've tried
I saw that Blanca seems to have open reservation spots for the upcoming week. I live on the west coast, so waking up to gun for a Ko reservation is not gonna happen. OK, well, I guess I'll pass. (It's not like I'm that flush anyways.)

GiJoccin

I saw that Blanca seems to have open reservation spots for the upcoming week. I live on the west coast, so waking up to gun for a Ko reservation is not gonna happen. OK, well, I guess I'll pass. (It's not like I'm that flush anyways.)

If you're looking for something cheaper with reservations available I thought batard was reasonable, and heard good things about contra

Jhoan

This guy right here. I went as Media again and was walking around with Fallengorn for a while taking pics of cosplayers as well as went to visit TheBaroness at her table and gave her a signed Rocket Girl print by Amy Reeder that I had sitting around in my room for 2 years. Got some feedback on my art work from several artists which was cool.

Also managed to snag a Saturday pass for NYCC after 3.5 hours of waiting. It was pretty damn fun overall, I enjoyed myself and got to see a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a while.

Top Bottom